AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-05-08, 03:49   Link #1
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Translation Policy Questions: The Discussion Rages On

I am not super interested in this, but it does seem to step on a lot of what I hold dear about the forum and the Japanese Expertise it links me to through other members.

Spoiler for The discussion from the claymore forum:

The policy is probably the same across the forum. It just seems to have selective enforcement which irks me a bit.

Putting a translation in summary format seems fine but just translating it is bad even if we do it ourselves with no promotion of distribution or purpose of profit. Although if we put that same translation in summary format it is fine. Posting spoiler pics is supposedly bad (and a much bigger violation in my opinion) but it happens every single week. Having copyrighted material is bad but go ahead and look at the backlogs of the episodes of the claymore series: the spoiler pics from the raw anime are still up on the forum. Many of them posted by moderators. Sure they were posted before the licensing of the claymore series but the links are still up and very active.

The reason translations are so important to me in the Claymore thread is because I do read Japanese but I am not as gifted as some others yet. I have difficulty understanding the nuances of meaning. Others have answered a lot of questions I have had about the meaning behind words, phrases, conversations, plot points, and so on. I also heartily enjoy a lot of manga and anime and discussing it is a lot of fun.

I am not indicating that the moderators should clamp down on everything because really the rules could be extrapolated to the point that the forum would implode. I like many of the members here and really enjoy the community and hope that does not happen. I am more of the opinion that the moderators should do more of nothing concerning the matter of translations in every thread like they do in most of them anyway. I mean come on, there are spoiler pics going up every week with people translating them and summarizing the chapter to the point one could pull a translation from it from what is said and they never get zinged because people love it and it fuels the very purpose of the manga sections; Japanese manga with translations.

I do understand the damage of posting links to raws, scans etc and have personally PMed serveral people who have posted full ones to warn them of the forum policies. They have almost always taken them down themselves and even said thanks. I do it mostly because I hate it when mods delete my post when I would be happy to edit it myself especially when I look through the rules and see that I did not break any. Getting posts zapped really seems to kill interesting discussions and it has happened several times on things I was honestly interested in. If deletion has something to do with people reporting a post and saying something is bad or wrong then it makes more sense to me than just being standard enforcement of policy although I still prefer to change my own posts as opposed to having them pulled out from under me unless they obviously break the rules (which I did do with spoilers once when I first joined and did not know the rules of the forums).

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-05-08 at 04:31.
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 08:44   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sorry for the short reply but when I have time I will address the other points in this thread.

I would like to make clear that the main objection over this issue is that the translations were of licensed manga, this is treated differently to that of unlicensed manga. The forum rules make it clear that "Scanlations of Licensed Manga" are not allowed and I would hope it would be obvious that the intent of the rule is that translations of licensed manga are treated in the same way, i.e. not allowed.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 11:36   Link #3
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

To quote NightWish who I think said it best :
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
The manga is licensed so, in general, full page scans and translations, or information about sites with such content, are expressly forbidden. This is your starting point, if you are unsure... start with this assumption.

However, we're not trying to stop you talking about the manga, which we understand is a visual medium and often needs visual elements to fully explain itself. So, from this assumption you can start to think about the "fair-use" concept.

Our position is roughly as Rurik described: If the point you are trying to make cannot be made without a visual example, we are probably going to allow you to make a post containing a partial page scan. Partial. In other words, a crop of the page. Provided it does not contain edits aimed at translating the content from its official print form. That is, if it was printed in Japanese, it must remain so. Likewise, if it is from the official English release of the manga, we are not worried about the speech being readable in English. What you are NOT permitted to post under any circumstances is a FAN translated version of the page. In rare cases a sensible crop (to focus on your point) might not be possible, we understand this too. If a full page is really the only way to explain your point them so be it. Such posts will probably be acceptable if kept to a minimum.

Now, if the point you are trying to make requires not visual element... then posting the image simply isn't needed. If you want to quote some of the text, then that is fine... just don't quote whole pages or chapters verbatim. The important point here is that we want to avoid the dissemination of anything that allows people to avoid the purchase of an official English release, while still promoting meaningful discussion. I think it's pretty straight forward... but if you're not sure just ask Only... not in this thread please
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 11:54   Link #4
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I understand the difference between Licensed and Unlicensed Manga. That is why I brought up Bleach and Naruto which are licensed by Viz the just like Claymore is and have very active threads on this forum with both (raw) full page spoiler pics and summary extensive summaries which include full page translations of characters text. I agree with scanlations being against the rules of licensed manga in this forum. The issue I have is with translations being included especially when we are doing them ourselves in small doses to help each other understand what the Japanese says version says. Even on Viz's wiki page there is a debate going on about issues with viz's translations which seem to miss the mark. As hardcore fans is it wrong for us to want to know what the author really said? Some fans are hardcore enough to actually learn Japanese so they can know and then want to help others.

If it is policy it is not one I see enforced on the more populous threads and haphazard application sends the message that everything we do could be against the rules so doing anything to help each other understand translations should be avoided. The reason I am even bringing this up is because of what zapping people like this does to the forum discussions. A while back we were having an in depth conversation about two of the characters in claymore in one of the characters threads (Priscilla and Isley discussion thread). We were talking about the plot purposes of Priscilla in the story to the protagonist Clare vs her motivation from Teresa and having a rather interesting discussion (about plot and character development of Priscilla, not about her power levels) when suddenly we lost pages of our conversation because supposedly it belonged in the statistics and power level thread, which it did not. Fortunately after enough of us asked NSW for the discussion back he put it back but it had already had its impact.

The result? No one posted in the thread any more even after we got it back. It killed the discussion, the very purpose of having a forum, killed the thread and it was months before anyone went back there. People posted things like, "I don't know what I can and can't post here and am afraid the mods will just delete it." We even talked about expanding the base discussion of the thread to be more encompassing of one of the major antagonists to the stories roles but as we can not post or edit threads it stayed the way it was and died. The same thing will happen with this case by case translation issue slapping some and ignoring others that are in far worse violation. I especially felt bad about Ergon getting zinged because he has helped us understand nuances of the Authors intent so much in the past through his more literal translations than can be found anywhere else.

Zinging people for trying to help each other better understand what the manga says as opposed to having them put it in an appropriate format like a summary which apparently is acceptable just makes them not do anything to help each other in the future because they feel threatened. That is what I am against, the intent and result of slapping people for trying to help each other with something like understanding what the author really said in the Japanese version. Telling someone that posting translations will only get them banned and then citing rules that do not clearly exist and are admittedly a rare subset of the forum rules, violates the very purpose of having a forum for discussion for me. It feels like when I got warned for not putting something in spoiler tags, had my post deleted and got an infraction and then had to go back and show that the thread had absolutely no rules about spoilers and that I could not break a rule that did not exist. This feels very simmilar to me, even if I have not been warned for it personally, as it breaks up something I hold dear in the community. From Hunter's post different mods seem to have different ideas about what this "rare subset of rule 1.1 even means".
Old 2008-05-08, 13:00   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
The issue I have is with translations being included especially when we are doing them ourselves in small doses to help each other understand what the Japanese says version says.
I do not see a problem with you comparing, in "small doses", what you have read in your copy of the official English translation, with your own translation of the official Japanese release. I imagine the points could be debated with a few key sentences, not a whole page of text, and would be unlikely to ever need the images. It fits well within the bounds of what we consider acceptable. Do you have a specific example where we've made a ruling that is contrary to that?

Quote:
If it is policy it is not one I see enforced on the more populous threads and haphazard application sends the message that everything we do could be against the rules so doing anything to help each other understand translations should be avoided.
I should remind you here that we cannot be everywhere. We do not approach the rules with "haphazard application" in mind, when it happens it is a result of us not being able to be everywhere all the time. If something is reported and we agree it is a problem, we'll take action. If while using the forum ourselves we see a problem, we'll take action. If we do not see the problem and no one reports it, there is not a lot we can do about it...

That point aside, "understand translations", as you put it, can be interpreted in different ways. If you mean help someone understand a copy of the Japanese release they just downloaded, then yes that discussion should be avoided. We do not want to provide an alternative to the official English release, and if the discussion is simply there to allow the story to be understood in the absence of said release, then we will discourage or ban it. If, on the other hand, the discussion around "understand translations" has the intention of contrasting the official versions, discussing why one word was used over another, or whether the author meant this or that and how the translation changes meaning, etc. then that is a different matter. You are more than welcome to have such a debate.

Quote:
We were talking about the plot purposes of Priscilla ... when suddenly we lost pages of our conversation because supposedly it belonged in the statistics and power level thread, which it did not. Fortunately after enough of us asked NSW for the discussion back he put it back but it had already had its impact.
This sounds like a completely unrelated problem. A mistake by the person who moved the posts perhaps? Everyone makes mistakes, and it sounds like NoSanninWa did what was possible to correct the situation. I fails to see how this has anything to do with the policy issues you appear to be raising initially.

Quote:
The same thing will happen with this case by case translation issue slapping some and ignoring others that are in far worse violation. I especially felt bad about Ergon getting zinged because he has helped us understand nuances of the Authors intent so much in the past through his more literal translations than can be found anywhere else.
Having not reviewed those posts I cannot judge how the translations were pitched. If you (meaning anyone in the thread who gained from Ergon's "literal translations") were asking specific questions about parts of the story or fragments of text you didn't understand, or if Ergon simply made specific points where he(?) noticed one sentence or word had a meaning changed because the translation was not what he would have used, then again I cannot see a problem.

However, if the helpful posts were complete scanlated pages, or even just blocks of translated text from a number of pages of the manga, then I am not surprised they were removed. That is not much better than saying "I believe Viz's translations are wrong, here is my version of the story". Anything that comes close to that is angling to be a replacement for those minded to let it be.

Quote:
Zinging people for trying to help each other better understand what the manga says as opposed to having them put it in an appropriate format like a summary which apparently is acceptable just makes them not do anything to help each other in the future because they feel threatened.
Without reviewing all of the actual infractions it is hard to comment on any specific incident, however...

It is possible that the private messages have an air about them that stifles. That is something the staff will have to review. We send "warnings" because that is the best way, that the forum software provides, of letting other staff members know about actions taken (for accountability, duplication of work, and other reasons), while at the same time letting the person receiving the warning know we think they should do things differently.

Essentially, from our perspective, the messages are our way of doing exactly what you think we should be doing. That said, in some cases the wording might need tweaking. Most of the staff use a fair amount of "boiler plate" text when giving infractions/warnings simply because it becomes a chore to have to be creative, when writing messages, when we need to deal with the same problems again and again. Clearly you believe we are falling short on the presentation or explanation somewhere...

Perhaps the forum calling them "warnings" is what you think scares some people away from posting afterwards? Maybe we can rename them... Or maybe you are referring to something specific a member of staff said in one of the messages? So, maybe you can explain where, with examples, and we will try to improve it in future or clarify if you misunderstand.

Last edited by NightWish; 2008-05-09 at 03:49. Reason: Typo
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 14:50   Link #6
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I agree with much of said policy Nightwish. Comparing Licensed Official English translations with the Japanese should not be a problem. There is, however, a major issue that appears when there is no official English translation. Ergon's post, which was deleted, compared some small parts from unofficial translations of Claymore 79 (there is no official translation and will not be for months) that people have been freely quoting on the forum and posted how he would translate them for clarity so people could adjust their theories accordingly. People were saying Dragon's kin when it more literally reads as Dragons Descendants and so on. It was a big help. I cannot give a link to the post because it is gone. It is right after post 420 in the Claymore Chapter 79 thread and as a moderator you might be able to see it. It had no images on it. He may have mentioned a translators name whose work he felt was unsatisfactory but I cannot remember. It is not as important to the discussion now because some groups have run better translations but when he posted his version it was a huge help. I just think that slapping someone for doing what he did is not fair.

The reason I mentioned the posts being deleted in that other thread was because they were not moved to a more appropriate, they were deleted and we were all warned that being off topic would result in consequences. Deletion of posts when they do not appear to violate any rules has reprocussions to the members and discussion on the forum. That is why I brought it up. Many members have been valuable assets in understanding the Japanese version of the manga, data books, OST's, and so on without incident. I value much of what the forum offers by way of community and do not want to lose what we have.

Whitemoon posted something about the issue as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post

Spoiler for since its off-topic. One last post replying NSW:
I understand that being moderators can be tough. I am glad you guys keep this site so well maintained as it is one of my favorite forums. The community is great. Maybe it is because the warnings are so harsh but then again maybe not. I have, however, seen threads killed by mass mod deletions. Maybe because of a complaint, maybe because of a mistake, or maybe because of a misunderstanding. I have also had to fight my way to get some of my own posts back that were pertinent to the discussion that violated no rules. I worry that some of my friends on the forum who have been a great asset might not freely share their expertise like they have before if they get warned and have their posts deleted as opposed to modified. I am a much bigger advocate of having a post modified than deleted. The reason I even posted this thread was because NSW said that there are not many issues with this and he implied that the rules about it are obvious. I think there is a huge issue with it and that it is a definite gray area considering the very nature of the discussions created. As even rule 1.1 of the forum says;

"Obviously, any content that AnimeSuki lists is not banned as there would be no site if it was; even though unlicensed anime fansubs are technically illegal (they are in breach of copyright law). This position may appear illogical and even hypocritical especially given that Raws are forbidden. However, we rationalise the rule by the relative ethical acceptability; we simply consider unlicensed fansubs to be ethically more acceptable than other "pirated" media."

The community obviously is reading raws and scanlations so slapping them for helping each other enjoy it and understand it can seem a bit extreme in some situations. The case by case basis mentioned after the rule really seems to emphasize that it is not a clear ground that we stand on from the get go. Maybe it is just that NSW and Xris hold the Claymore thread to a higher standard of quality than other threads.

Last edited by chibamonster; 2008-05-08 at 15:02.
chibamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 17:52   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Will also help to consider the Naruto and Bleach subforums the less-AS part of AS. You know, long-running shounen series, mindless fanboys and all that jazz. I don't think it's easy maintaining them in a proper order, and if I ran this forum, I'd either delete those two subforums into oblivion, or forget about them and leave them as the "black hole" of the community.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 00:24   Link #8
Rava

You know, I'm reading this and I'm wondering:

Do the other forums have the same problems Naruto and Bleach have of 'fake spoilers'? (Naruto way more than Bleach...)
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 00:39   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Ergon's post, which was deleted, compared some small parts from unofficial translations of Claymore 79 (there is no official translation and will not be for months) that people have been freely quoting on the forum and posted how he would translate them for clarity so people could adjust their theories accordingly.
* NoSanninWa sighs.

Thanks for telling me where to find derelict88's post. I just went to take a look at the post for the first time. (Pardon me for not searching it out myself in the 27 pages of the thread.) I had mistakenly that that this was referring to a post that had been deleted earlier in the thread containing a complete script, so I didn't even think I needed to hunt it out.

I was expecting a full script for the chapter or at least a few entire pages of translation. Instead I find a couple of sentences from various places in the chapter along with his suggestions for how they should have been translated. If I'd been asked to reconsider this in a PM then I might very well have undeleted it since it seems to fall within fair use. Instead the only PM I received was to inform me that the topic of unauthorized translation posting had appeared in the thread and I was requested to clarify our policy.

Moral: If you think we over-reacted to something, then ask us to reconsider instead of mounting a public assault.

At this point, things have gone well beyond merely asking a moderator to reconsider an action. Now the topic is the posting of translations of licensed manga. I think my fellow moderators have done an excellent job of elaborating on what I posted in the Claymore Chapter 79 thread.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 21:49   Link #10
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

@Rava: I do not know about fake spoilers for most other shows but the Claymore thread which I am most interested in has only had a few of them pop up. Claymore is no where near as popular as Naruto though so it is not as much a target. If you have not checked out Claymore though I think you should .

@NSW Sorry I didn't give directions to the deleted earlier . I had to go looking for it as well. When the deletion and warning popped up I complained and said the post shouldn't have been deleted and then the wrath of the moderators was summoned on the claymore thread. I did not feel the said policy was actually what was being carried out and since NSW said to continue it in a new thread that is what I did . People helping me understand the nuances of the raw is something I love about the forum and I do not want that stopped. Ergon said he will keep translating the Japanese text in fan art/comics as that does not seem to receive the light of judgment even though people quoting mistranslated text from the main story still bothers him.

I still think there is an issue of mods holding some threads to different standards but as WanderingKnight said it might just be impossible to stop the fans of the bigger forums like Naruto which take up a significant amount of space, have insane participation, thousands of threads, and are huge. If it is impossible to police the "black hole Anime-Suki" that makes sense to me. It just seems kind of harsh on the smaller threads which do not receive the same attention from the scanlating world and have to rely more on each other than any group. I guess we could do it in PM's but then we do not get to share what we learn with others much.
Old 2008-05-10, 00:04   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
I guess we could do it in PM's but then we do not get to share what we learn with others much.
I'm afraid it would not be satisfying, but there are actually forums which are devoted to translating manga. Give them some love.

Quote:
@NSW Sorry I didn't give directions to the deleted earlier . I had to go looking for it as well.
np. I only wish I'd been given those directions by the person whose post was deleted and responded in the thread instead of just pointing out the error.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 13:39   Link #12
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
I still think there is an issue of mods holding some threads to different standards but as WanderingKnight said it might just be impossible to stop the fans of the bigger forums like Naruto which take up a significant amount of space, have insane participation, thousands of threads, and are huge. If it is impossible to police the "black hole Anime-Suki" that makes sense to me.
It is not only possible, it is actually done. Of course if you happen to stumble upon a post breaking the rules of our forum do not hesitate to use the repport button so we can find out about it as fast as possible but as far as I know your impression is just that, an impression. If you saw a few walls of translated texts from a licensed series yet to be moderated in the Naruto or Bleach forums, they are most probably either fake scripts or translation of summaries which is fine according to our rules.

Of course it's not impossible to come across a translation of a whole chapter (or simply too much of it) that we are yet to have seen and moderated and in this case like I said above, warn us so we can deal with the problem quickly.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 23:15   Link #13
ergon

Derelict88's post contained the whole chapter 79, I then re-translated about half of the same chapter without really thinking about it. I can see how those two posts broke the rules. Later I made a another post that compared about 10 crucial sentences from both of the translations, probably all that was really necessary to clear up the confusion. All three were deleted but my second post was restored later. I think thats pretty fair.

Last edited by ergon; 2008-05-11 at 00:11.
ergon is offline   Reply With Quote