AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-24, 17:25   Link #301
Westlo
Lets be reality

Some spoilers for 11-13 by Kresphy again

Spoiler for 11-13:

Spoiler for My thoughts:

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-05-24 at 19:10.
Old 2008-05-24, 18:58   Link #302
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Some spoilers for 11-13.

Spoiler for 11-13:

Spoiler for My thoughts:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-24, 22:35   Link #303
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Spoiler for My thoughts:
Old 2008-05-24, 23:32   Link #304
SymphonicRain

Spoiler for my 2 cents:
Old 2008-05-24, 23:47   Link #305
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

That'd be interesting to see. As of right now, there appears to be absolutely NO chemistry between Alto and our song-miko, Ranka.

And I mean... none what so ever.

But if Kawamori pulled a Tomino on me... if he did...

I swear to goddess Brunhilde, Verdandi, Skuld and Urd...

- Tak
Old 2008-05-25, 00:01   Link #306
SymphonicRain

A suggestion for parley maybe?

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-25, 00:24   Link #307
zalem

The more they keep pushing the whole Sheryl x Alto thing so much lately makes me think she is going to lose. More and more they keep showing Ranka being pushed aside by Sheryl....both in her career, personal life and love life. You can just tell they are going to make this all turn around and she will be the one who "wins" at the end. Which is depressing because I don't like Ranka x Alto at all. Seems too much like lolicon to me (yes, yes I know they are close in age, but she still looks 11 years old. She is acts very young and naive too, which adds to this feeling.)
Old 2008-05-25, 00:50   Link #308
Tak

WE WILL NOT NEGOTIATE! WE WILL NOT FALTER! WE SHALL NEVER COMPROMISE!

WE DID NOT SURRENDER IN LEIPZIG! WE PRESSED ON IN WATERLOO! WE MARCHED GLORIOUSLY UPON THE STREETS OF PARIS, AND WE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL THE LAST DROP OF OUR BLOOD IS UTTERLY SPENT!

TO SUGGEST ANYTHING OTHER THAN ALTO x SHERYL IS HERESY AND AN AFFRONT TO THE ECCLESIARCHY!

*waves plastic spoon*

BURN THE HERETIC, KILL THE MUTANT, PURGE THE UNCLEAN!!!

psst, Tak... you need a drink, and a mint...

ARGHHHH!!

Its fiction Tak, fiiiccctttiiiiooonnn... its ok... it really is...

*Ahem*

On a more serious note, I will repeat my previous point. Kawamori is not Tomino. For him to pull a sudden brake like that would not be his style. If he did, he did it just to spite us, if nothing else. Otherwise, Sheryl is a lot more in line with Kawamori's character love interest. And I am certain Kawamori is very aware of our disinterest in a Ranka x Alto pairing.

But we shall see, won't we.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2008-05-25 at 01:05.
Old 2008-05-25, 01:33   Link #309
SymphonicRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
On a more serious note, I will repeat my previous point. Kawamori is not Tomino. For him to pull a sudden brake like that would not be his style. If he did, he did it just to spite us, if nothing else. Otherwise, Sheryl is a lot more in line with Kawamori's character love interest. And I am certain Kawamori is very aware of our disinterest in a Ranka x Alto pairing.

But we shall see, won't we.

- Tak
If Kawamori cares for the audiences outside of Japan. :\

Anyone knows the stand amongs tthe Japanese audiences?
Old 2008-05-25, 03:09   Link #310
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Some spoilers for 11-13 by Kresphy again

Spoiler for 11-13:
That makes me a one happy girl. ^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Spoiler for My thoughts:
Sheryl will have to do something else since Ranka already did something sorta similar. I have more to say about this but last time I talked big I jinxed myself so I'd rather not

Spoiler for light at the end of the tunnel!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
As of right now, there appears to be absolutely NO chemistry between Alto and our song-miko, Ranka.

And I mean... none what so ever.
Omg, how can you not love those two whenever you see Alto poke Ranka's forehead with his paper airplanes? They're so...pure together haha

Really now guys, just look at episode 11 and the events from 5-8, can you actually say Ranka deserves more torturing? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
If Kawamori cares for the audiences outside of Japan. :\

Anyone knows the stand amongs tthe Japanese audiences?
Kawamori cares. Or else, he wouldn't be rich right now.
Old 2008-05-25, 03:37   Link #311
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Frankly speaking, we should all have seen it coming since there have been quite a bit of Alto x Sheryl development...

Nooooo...Sheryl....Noooooo... and yes, should anything fails, I shall go into the fanfic world for my pairing. =| Not that I do not like Ranka...but up to now, I still feel that Alto X Sheryl will make a great pair.

Guess that we can only wait n see....
Old 2008-05-25, 06:01   Link #312
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Omg, how can you not love those two whenever you see Alto poke Ranka's forehead with his paper airplanes? They're so...pure together haha

Really now guys, just look at episode 11 and the events from 5-8, can you actually say Ranka deserves more torturing? lol
That would be nice, but I can't help but grimace at the prospect of future Sheryl torturing, necessary though it may be for character growth and all that. It's easy to forget that Sheryl has already served her time of doing carrot gigs, and with neither fanclub nor family to boot. But to the audience, she just woke up in the first episode a star; which is what makes even the hint of a rivalry with Ranka pretty brutal for how an audience percieves Sheryl.

I've always liked Ranka a lot, regardless of what's happened with her. My main worry comes from the fact that Alto catalyzed the change of serious Sheryl to playful fun-loving Sheryl and I'd hate to see those dynamics go to waste.
Old 2008-05-25, 09:27   Link #313
Julao

im my opinion on how the series is progressing, it's like this:

Alto = Hikaru/Rick Hunter

Sheryl = Hayase/Lisa Hayes

Ranka = Lynn Minmay

It's kinda similar to the 1st macross/robotech series, on how the story is developing.........

Last edited by Julao; 2008-05-25 at 10:46.
Old 2008-05-25, 09:53   Link #314
Tak

Because Sheryl is in line with Kawamori's traditional heroines, that is why Alto will get Sheryl. But of course, if Kawamori intends to surprise us, I am open to how he will do just that.

Not that I will rule out the possibility of driving a semi full of Molotov cocktails into his studio, but you know...

- Tak
Old 2008-05-25, 11:07   Link #315
zalem

Quote:

They have a cute brother/sister relationship. No real romantic chemistry at all. That doesn't mean I want Ranka tortured. I hope her career does take off at least. Though that'll be hard with Leon pulling strings to make sure she gets nothing.

Hope the rest of you guys are right when you say Sheryl is the Hayase of this series.
Old 2008-05-25, 11:41   Link #316
SymphonicRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Not that I will rule out the possibility of driving a semi full of Molotov cocktails into his studio, but you know...
Give me your address and I'll sponsor you some cocktails and some matches >.> <.<
Old 2008-05-25, 12:24   Link #317
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
^ We are three, count me in ^.^
Old 2008-05-25, 19:41   Link #318
ani_d

Why do I feel like I'm the only one here that wants a Ranka ending. x___x Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julao View Post
im my opinion on how the series is progressing, it's like this:

Alto = Hikaru/Rick Hunter

Sheryl = Hayase/Lisa Hayes

Ranka = Lynn Minmay

It's kinda similar to the 1st macross/robotech series, on how the story is developing.........
I give up with all these Minmay/Misa comparisons lol If Ranka is Minmay, then she's a Minmay that's not self-centered, not fickle, cares a whole lot about her brother, friends, esp. the male lead, and means the same as the word 'whatever' to the male lead. I'm basing this on Alto's attitude this episode. When Alto is cold, he really is cold. -_- If he is Hikaru, then this Minmay has no impact on him when she should because we're still in the first half of the story. She can't even charm him.

I definitely find Alto's warm and cold attitude towards Ranka adorable and consider that a part of their chemistry. It's easy to forget their funny encounter in the first episode, but Alto and Ranka's chemistry is definitely not non-existent. They wouldn't have fans if their chemistry is like Nanase and Alto's which is nada. Somehow, I don't see them as having a bro/sis relationship. The two treat each other as how you'd treat a good friend.

Kawamori may be playing homages, but it doesn't mean he'll write the same story as last time. If Sheryl IS the Misa of this story, then maybe you're right. I always have this gut feeling she'll steal Alto's first kiss too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
I've always liked Ranka a lot, regardless of what's happened with her. My main worry comes from the fact that Alto catalyzed the change of serious Sheryl to playful fun-loving Sheryl and I'd hate to see those dynamics go to waste
Same way can be said with Ranka too, imo. Although I'm still having trouble seeing Sheryl's character becoming an emo heap just because of Alto. My image of Sheryl will be something like, if Alto 'rejects' her, she'll make him regret it or something. She's Sheryl Nome, afterall

As for episode 12

Spoiler for 12 thoughts:

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-05-25 at 20:12.
Old 2008-05-26, 01:27   Link #319
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Why do I feel like I'm the only one here that wants a Ranka ending. x___x Ah well.
You're definitely not the only one. Although you seem to be one of the least scary.

There's going to be a "Ranka ending" regardless of whether Sheryl and Alto get together or not. Given that she's got top billing, then she's bound be the major success story by the end. Just leave something for Sheryl, too (i.e. the romance subplot).

Quote:
I give up with all these Minmay/Misa comparisons lol If Ranka is Minmay, then she's a Minmay that's not self-centered, not fickle, cares a whole lot about her brother, friends, esp. the male lead, and means the same as the word 'whatever' to the male lead. I'm basing this on Alto's attitude this episode. When Alto is cold, he really is cold. -_- If he is Hikaru, then this Minmay has no impact on him when she should because we're still in the first half of the story. She can't even charm him.
I don't think that it's worth worrying about the comparisons either. If anything, tossing mixed signals here and there is just the sort of thing that writers can do to start a frenzy of speculation. I think that the allusions from the episode 10 and 13 seem to point in different directions based on what little we know about them, for example. Of course, it's hard to say until they're actually released.

Quote:
I definitely find Alto's warm and cold attitude towards Ranka adorable and consider that a part of their chemistry. It's easy to forget their funny encounter in the first episode, but Alto and Ranka's chemistry is definitely not non-existent. They wouldn't have fans if their chemistry is like Nanase and Alto's which is nada. Somehow, I don't see them as having a bro/sis relationship. The two treat each other as how you'd treat a good friend.
Well, Ranka is designed with imouto moe in mind; that's we see her with cute/silly accessories and outfits whenever possible. And it doesn't help that Alto takes the attitude of a big brother forced to keep an eye out for his kid sister when dealing with her. Or that Ranka called Alto oniisan when he first saved her. Or the paired blood samples in episode two. But now we're getting into speculation.

I do think that Alto cares about Ranka, seeing as he looks out for her. But I'd usually associate chemistry with a more romantic feeling. That's not quite the same thing as treating someone as a good friend. But then again, this is anime after all, and there's always room for things to change if the writers decree it to be so.

Quote:
Same way can be said with Ranka too, imo. Although I'm still having trouble seeing Sheryl's character becoming an emo heap just because of Alto. My image of Sheryl will be something like, if Alto 'rejects' her, she'll make him regret it or something. She's Sheryl Nome, afterall
You've already seen the signs, if you look closely. The talk at the end of the date in episode 5 shows some of the isolation that she feels when she remembers that she has to go back to Galaxy and leave Alto behind. Also, just before Sheryl kisses Alto, you can clearly see the disappointment in her eyes when she realizes that he's just coming to return the earring. Then there's that scene in episode 6 when it's revealed that she has no family and no close friends to come back to.

Ranka may be much quicker to let others know that she's hurt, but she's got a lot of really good things going for her that Sheryl doesn't; the only thing is that Ranka doesn't realize it. Ranka may complain of her troubles with her brother accepting her career; but at least she has someone whom she can call her brother. She may be downcast at having to do smaller roles than she had initially hoped for, but at least she has friends who provide her with support and encouragement. Just because Sheryl doesn't complain as loudly doesn't mean that she doesn't have her own burdens to bear.

I think part of the problem is that Sheryl comes across as such a strong character that it's very easy to miss out on the flashes of vulnerability that seep through from time to time. As of right now she may be the prime source of inspiration for our trio of protagonists, but at some point she'll need learn to rely on others to support her.
Old 2008-05-26, 03:38   Link #320
.Mero

Stil a bit early to determine the winner in the main triangle i think, There will be lots of bouncing hence and forth between Ranka and Sheryl by the princess be sure of that.

I myself would like to see more side character developement though, Mikhail x Klein Klan to be more precise ^^ and if thats to much, they can just leave Mikhail out for that matter as well :P
Closed Thread

Tags
speculation, spoilers