AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 11:14   Link #321
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

That was really good! It's probably my favourite episode from this season so far, hitting all the right spots perfectly.

Spoiler for 2:

NOKEMON GETTO DA ZE!
Old 2011-04-22, 11:25   Link #322
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Guh, I don't know if I'll be able to get through this show intact. I was on the verge for a second there. had to fight them back.

awesome second ep, pretty much cemented it as my favorite series of the season. I can't wait to see Jinta in school, should have some good drama going on.
Old 2011-04-22, 11:29   Link #323
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 12:25   Link #324
tezu

I feel a bit like an outsider because I just can't seem to get into the series. Don't get me wrong, the second episode was great (Anaru is <3) and it did even better than the first episode in my opinion (unlike HanaIro, which sort of went downward after episode 1, the moment the pervy writer appeared). I really want to be fair and love the series, it's brillantly executed (except for those "matured!Menma makes Jinta awkward" moments) and has astonishing character designs, but I just can't help but to be bothered by the premise of the series.

First off, I don't like the fact that they use a ghost as a catalyst. Menma seems to be more than just a hallucination and the fact that she is there, interacting with Jinta and guiding him like a real person sort of leaves an odd aftertaste. So what if the ghost never appeared? Jinta would've stayed a shut-in. Is she just a hallucination? Apparently not, she can open doors (when she enters her house in ep1) and interact with puppies. Which means the ghost is somewhat real. And that's what I don't like: While I can tolerate unrealistic anime humour in slice-of-life series (character archtypes, weird antics), I have my difficulties with ghostly protagonists.

Another premise of the series are the protagonists' past relationships with each other. Young Anaru liked Jinta, young Yukiatsu liked Menma, young Jinta and young Menma obviously liked each other and who knows, young Tsuruko might have had a thing for Yukiatsu. I don't know how old they were back then, but seeing that they are now in their teens, they must have been elementary schoolers. And I've never liked complicated love triangles among little kids. It certainly is a nice setup for drama, though. Maybe it could've been better if they'd started out as high school friends, then fallen out with each other as college students. But that's just my personal opinion.

That's why I can't make up my mind about AnoHana at all...maybe the following episodes will be full of awesome so that I will eventually forget about the two things the entire series is based on...But it will never surpass or be on par with series like Honey and Clover.

Spring 2011 is quite the slice-of-life season

Last edited by tezu; 2011-04-22 at 12:35.
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 12:36   Link #325
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't tell you how delighted I am that this unapologetically sentimental slice-of-life show appears to be winning viewers - and hearts - both in Japan and the West. I'm as pleased as I am surprised.

I'm reminded of a quote attributed to the Jesuits: "Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man". I think it's fascinating to see how the dynamics of both the Busters personalities and their relationships with each other were effectively set when they were ragamuffins playing Nokemon Gold, and have changed so little when they're in HS.

I also think the topic of "moving on" vs. holding on to the memory of a deceased loved one is a major theme this show is going to explore. You see the same dynamic with the Busters as you do with Menma's family - some have moved on (or tell themselves they have) some have not. As for Tsuruko, she does remain the biggest cipher of the group so far. I take the view that the reason she walked out of "WcDonalds" and lashed out at Anaru was because Anaru didn't defend Jinta vigorously enough - or even better, walk out. Yes, Tsuruko does appear to be something of a stuck-up you-know-what, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because I think the scene with Anaru's "friends" brought out the worst in Tsuruko.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 12:52   Link #326
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Wow, the ending song was a nostalgia bomb. Now I just need to find the artist.

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 12:54   Link #327
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolistic View Post
Wow, the ending song was a nostalgia bomb. Now I just need to find the artist.
The ED is sung by the seiyuu, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the single releases the 27th in Japan. I can't wait!
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:37   Link #328
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
I feel a bit like an outsider because I just can't seem to get into the series.

First off, I don't like the fact that they use a ghost as a catalyst... While I can tolerate unrealistic anime humour in slice-of-life series (character archtypes, weird antics), I have my difficulties with ghostly protagonists.

...And I've never liked complicated love triangles among little kids. It certainly is a nice setup for drama, though. Maybe it could've been better if they'd started out as high school friends, then fallen out with each other as college students. But that's just my personal opinion.
Just a short note to say that you're not alone. The whole device of a walking, talking ghost makes the drama a bit too far-fetched for me as well. It also cheapens the friends' healing process, I feel. Death is supposed to be final — that's what makes it devastating, after all. All the things you should have said and done but didn't, they are the reasons the regrets are so heavy and painful.

Having a ghost a catalyst, well, it works as a device, I guess. But it detracts from Jinta's supposed willingness to pull himself back together for the sake of his friends — and himself.

I suppose, then, it's all the heartfelt feelings between childhood friends who have grown apart that is making this show a hit for so many. Unfortunately, that's not something I identify with, at my age. Miss friends? Give them a call, and laugh over how we've not changed much over the years (well, we're a bit greyer and rounder, perhaps, but in all the essential things like personality and quirks,there are no real differences).

Once you've parted with enough people in life, you'd realise it's not that big of a deal at all, especially if you make the effort to keep in touch.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:00   Link #329
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think for many it works not as a romantic plot device but more like a “expectation of the other person seing and hearing ghost-tan” plot device. It also gives a nice and fresh feel to conversations. For example, the usual hate/drama talk is really old, and I mean really really old. I’m sure most people here have heard that kind of conversation a hundred times; for me at least they just pass though one ear and exit though the other. However, because ghost-tan is there it’s suddenly interesting, especially when the subject of what they are talking is her. It’s still average drama in the end, but it has some spice to it which makes it enjoyable (in it’s own way).
Old 2011-04-22, 14:22   Link #330
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I think for many it works not as a romantic plot device but more like a “expectation of the other person seing and hearing ghost-tan” plot device. It also gives a nice and fresh feel to conversations. For example, the usual hate/drama talk is really old, and I mean really really old. I’m sure most people here have heard that kind of conversation a hundred times; for me at least they just pass though one ear and exit though the other. However, because ghost-tan is there it’s suddenly interesting, especially when the subject of what they are talking is her. It’s still average drama in the end, but it has some spice to it which makes it enjoyable (in it’s own way).
I find that dead people, especially those who had been very important, tend to have a bigger presence precisely because of their absence.

Having ghost-tan walking, talking and laughing around you all the time kind of spoils that effect for me, I'm afraid. Still, you do have a point: it is a refreshing device. Off-hand, I can't think of another show that so blatantly features a ghost. Hikaru no Go, perhaps, but that's a comedy/sports series shooting for a very different effect.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:33   Link #331
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I liked this episode. It was a good chance to get into the heads of more of the friends and make a little progress on bringing the shattered friendship back together. The power of Pokemon conquers all !

One has to be impressed at the amount of stuff Anaru has stored away there. Going to her house was definitely the right move. Plus it helped to slowly restore things between them. I don't think it'll be easy for Jinta to return to school, but good on Anaru for bringing it up. While I think Jinta is going to be busy on this mission to keep the promise to Menma I still wish Anaru luck in getting her feelings across this time. There was definitely a conflict of feelings when it came to Menma for her. Obviously she cared about her friend and with someone like that who couldn't help but like her? But being that kind of girl Menma had Jinta's focus and Anaru couldn't help but see herself as unappealing. Hopefully by the end of this she can fully resolve everything.

Poppo is one heck of a guy. He's just jumped into this thing and put all he has to it. Of course considering the traveling he's done the guy seems like the type to always be on an adventure. Not sure how things will go long term for him since he's not in school and working already. Still without him there wouldn't be much traction in getting the friendships back together. Do wonder if he has anything hidden away though since the others all seem to have heavy things weighing on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This episode pulled on a different heart-string, which worked a lot better on me: nostalgia. It really hit me hard. I was very impressed by the direction and the pacing of this episode. I thought the first episode introduced to much characters at once, but in restrospect, this was a very good move.

I was surprised Anal (I chuckle every time someone calls her that now... damnit) opened up so fast. I thought she'd be one of the hardest to "get". The hardest one to deal with will most likely be Tsukuro, in my opinion. I get the feeling she was a lot more jealous of Menma than Anal was, and that she still resents her to this day. As such, I disagree she's the most mature of the cast. She just acts like she is.

What Yukiatsu did is definitely creepy, but hey, it could have been a lot worse. He could have smelled her panties instead of her dress.
I'm not too surprised that Anaru opened up that fast. While she has plenty of issues to deal with, if the right chance to get back into Jinta's life showed up I thought she'd take it. Her feelings are pretty obvious and no matter how tsundere she chooses to be staying away would be tough.

Do agree that Tsukuro will be the toughest to reel in. While she threw a lot at Anaru she seems to be fitting right into a cliche herself. She acts distant, is pretty hard to talk to, and talks down to others. Does feel like she's trying to act a lot more mature while she has just as many problems as the rest of them.

To be fair with Yukiatsu how do we know he didn't just have to settle on the dress? Another good question is how the heck did he get a hold of it ? Did he go to her house to pay his respects and then sneak off to take whatever he could? He's definitely got some things to work past also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I find that dead people, especially those who had been very important, tend to have a bigger presence precisely because of their absence.

Having ghost-tan walking, talking and laughing around you all the time kind of spoils that effect for me, I'm afraid. Still, you do have a point: it is a refreshing device. Off-hand, I can't think of another show that so blatantly features a ghost. Hikaru no Go, perhaps, but that's a comedy/sports series shooting for a very different effect.
I think the series has done a pretty good job of showing how Menma's absence has hit the group. Her presence is necessary to help force those friends into action again. Sometimes just not being there can make things happen, but in this case for something positive to happen she needs to be there in some form.

But do think everyone has their own feeling on how Menma is involved in the series and can't say you are wrong.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:43   Link #332
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Anyone know which was written first (or started first), between Anohana and Iroha?
Quote:
You have to take into consideration the target audience. Because we’re talking about kid-love into young-love it’s obviously not the kind of show that people who put a lot of thought/pain into death would be watching—you just happen to be a exception. Death (in the case of the show) is more like Game Over, and the kids here just got a Continue. Just my take on it.

Quote:
Having ghost-tan walking, talking and laughing around you all the time kind of spoils that effect for me, I'm afraid.
Well, I don’t think you can get the same attachment to the main characters (Meiko and Jinta) from only kids flashbacks. For me the flashbacks weren’t very emotional (compared to the present-drama), and as was mentioned earlier, it’s hard to take seriously a “complicated” love triangle between little kids—in my opinion the shows greatest weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think the series has done a pretty good job of showing how Menma's absence has hit the group.
It’s somewhat overdone here and there. I was really happy when Tetsudo joined in, his non-emo attitude was refreshing to the story.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:53   Link #333
kir44n
#1 Delinquent

This show so far is absolutely amazing. The portrayal and conveyance of emotion is unmatched. The sense of nostalgia from the (p)nokemon in the second episode alone is immense. Anaru seemed so b*tchy in the first episode, only to show that she was still the same otaku girl in the second (showing that menma's thoughts on Anaru were more accurate than Jintans).

From the limited information we have on hand, I think that Jintan only became a shut-in recently. As the the japanese school system starts & ends their years during the spring time, and that the show is set 5 years after the "Incident", I would wager that this puts all the characters as 1st years in High School. I'm wagering his shut-in period began with his failure to get into the good high school and the corresponding stigma associated with Failure in Japan.

He continuosly goes on about Menma being a manifestation of his "stress" and "trauma" (he mentions both), so I don't think he's residual feelings about Menma were the SOLE cause of his failure (though it may be the biggest). Alot of Anaru's issues were pretty much brought out into the open with this second episode, though I think alot of her previous animosity towards Jintan can be pretty much be blamed on his Shut-in change. Hell, if the guy you likes suddenly becomes a super-loser over failing an entrance exam, I'm sure you'd be pissed for him not living up to your expectations.

I just have no clue where they'll be going with Tsuroko & Yukiatsu. They are shown the least of the 5, and we have the least insight into their mindsets. We know Yukiatsu is very unpleasant to Jintan, most likely in jealously over Menma. But...her is a disturbing thought, that comes from 2 bits of information from both episodes.
Spoiler for creepy guess about creepy guy:

I'll end my comments so far with Tsuroko. While she's seen associating with Yukiatsu, it's also shown that their interactions are...offbeat. And the most emotion we see from her so far, are when she gets upset at Anaru's friends to insulting Jintan. Is this out of simple defensiveness over an old friend, or did she also fancy the groups leader.
Spoiler for creepy:

Last edited by kir44n; 2011-04-22 at 15:30.
kir44n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 15:28   Link #334
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It might be nit-picking but I would say Jinta is a hikikomori, not a NEET. I think it's an important distinction.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 15:28   Link #335
deadite

Current theory is that Menma is balancing herself on the bridge railing seen in the OP and in the promotional image (where she is balancing) and Yuukii confessed to her which gives her a shock and falls down.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 15:33   Link #336
kitten320

Quote:
Just a short note to say that you're not alone. The whole device of a walking, talking ghost makes the drama a bit too far-fetched for me as well. It also cheapens the friends' healing process, I feel. Death is supposed to be final — that's what makes it devastating, after all. All the things you should have said and done but didn't, they are the reasons the regrets are so heavy and painful.

Having a ghost a catalyst, well, it works as a device, I guess. But it detracts from Jinta's supposed willingness to pull himself back together for the sake of his friends — and himself.

I suppose, then, it's all the heartfelt feelings between childhood friends who have grown apart that is making this show a hit for so many. Unfortunately, that's not something I identify with, at my age. Miss friends? Give them a call, and laugh over how we've not changed much over the years (well, we're a bit greyer and rounder, perhaps, but in all the essential things like personality and quirks,there are no real differences).

Once you've parted with enough people in life, you'd realise it's not that big of a deal at all, especially if you make the effort to keep in touch.
It really isn't that simple especially when it comes to good childhood friends with whom you eventually fell apart... and it is even worse when you don't know the reason.

While here we do have a reason and it is not far fetched for them to fall apart.

Besides without ghost I don't see why Jintan would try to intereact with them after such a long time. There should have been a push of some sort.

The only problem with the ghost I see is that she is way too realistic looking to the point that Jintan can actually feel her like if she was real. I think it would'vr been better if she was slightly more transperent.
Old 2011-04-22, 16:03   Link #337
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
That's the thing. Anaru was defending Jinta. I'd have understood Tsuruko's prissy behavior if Anaru had gone with the flock and said "Yeah, what a loser!" but she didn't. Tsuruko left in a rage when Anaru's friends made a comment clearly in a joking manner. It doesn't seem like something to get overly upset about if you're concerned about Jinta, least since they don't even keep in touch anymore.
That's not how I read the scene. They were seriously, openly, and loudly despising Jinta. And Anaru didn't say anything. I'm sure there were all kinds of good reasons to keep her mouth shut, but I can't fault Tsuruko for walking out, either.

Quote:
That's what I meant with judgmental. She judges others for something they aren't based on their appearances. High schoolers can be cruel, but it doesn't mean they are all like that. Everyone had a time like that in high school where they're easily influenced by their peers, but Anaru actually didn't make disparaging comments about Jinta in front of her peers, which is commendable in my view.
I think the appearance, the high school were just excuses. I don't think it's even about cruelty - it's about loyalty. To her, Anaru picked her present friends over her old ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Okay, Yukiatsu, sniffing your deceased friend's clothes (and exactly WHY do you have that?) is incredibly creepy.
Is it? I read that smell is the best sense to stimulate memory. Though yeah, it does beg the question of why he has that dress.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 16:15   Link #338
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Is it? I read that smell is the best sense to stimulate memory.
Normal people simply need to look at it, or just pray. You then have the issue of time, it’s been a good number of years since then whatever smell there was has been inhaled by the creep in the first year, or simply went away already by natural means. And even if say there was a smell, what exactly is it? blood? sweat? No matter how you look at it that was creepy, and it’s only purpose seems to have been to set him up as the antagonist. Let’s hope there is no boat around.
Old 2011-04-22, 16:33   Link #339
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's not how I read the scene. They were seriously, openly, and loudly despising Jinta. And Anaru didn't say anything. I'm sure there were all kinds of good reasons to keep her mouth shut, but I can't fault Tsuruko for walking out, either.
What was Anaru supposed to say? Jinta is absent from school for a long period after all. She even bemoaned him in the first episode for playing hooky and rightly so. As much of a trauma it was, it's five years ago. He needs to pick himself up and think about his future. So what if people have preconceptions of you? These things happen whether he likes it or not.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 16:33   Link #340
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Normal people simply need to look at it, or just pray. You then have the issue of time, it’s been a good number of years since then whatever smell there was has been inhaled by the creep in the first year, or simply went away already by natural means. And even if say there was a smell, what exactly is it? blood? sweat? No matter how you look at it that was creepy, and it’s only purpose seems to have been to set him up as the antagonist. Let’s hope there is no boat around.
Fortunately I haven't yet learned the pain of having a close loved one die that would cause me considerable grief so I don't know if him sniffing that dress is really normal or not. It did strike me as a little weird though. Perhaps that's why he was so confrontational to Jintan when he brought Menma up. It could be some sort of Reaction Formation.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy