AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-04, 23:33   Link #1
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Blue Submarine No. 6 (Ao no Roku-go) OVA

This is an older "series" that dates from around 1998 in Japan (for animation; visual novel was in the late 1960's) and some time in 2000 in North America. There have been talks about turning it into a live-action movie, but the project seems stalled. It was notable for being among the first animation works to combine 3D animation with traditional animation. I remember seeing it mentioned in anime magazines, and even saw part of one of the episodes at an anime convention, but only got around to sourcing it and watching it recently.

The series is a four-episode OVA (which I think of as a two-hour movie, in this case), and it brought me back to what anime of the 1990's felt like. Perhaps in part to being an OVA, however, the pacing and animation didn't have the drawbacks that other series from that time suffered from. It was a nice watch.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wikipedia entry for the series

Even though it's an older series, is anyone up for discussing it? I liked the series and thought that it had a good overall message (overcoming the violent, quick-to-hatred nature of humanity, and accepting others), but the revealed premise really weakened the show. In particular...

Spoiler for Zorndyke's reasons for doing what he did:

I may have missed certain things or misinterpreted others. If anyone has recently watched this or remembers it well enough, I'd love to hear some thoughts and interpretations on it.
Old 2012-02-05, 01:05   Link #2
Lost Cause

This was a very underrated show! It pretty much went against the general anime themes of mecha, or sci fi at least as far as space is concerned. It had enough "realism" to keep regular fans interested.
Also there was a manga which went deeper into how Blue 6 actually worked concerning the children with psychic powers. All in all I enjoyed the show it was different from everything else at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhEi_0VziRU&sns=em
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 12:31   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Also there was a manga which went deeper into how Blue 6 actually worked concerning the children with psychic powers. All in all I enjoyed the show it was different from everything else at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhEi_0VziRU&sns=em
Did they go into more details about what Zorndyke was hoping to accomplish?
Old 2012-02-05, 13:06   Link #4
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I remember seeing this on Toonami!! I quite enjoyed it. My favorite character was Mutio, oddly enough, she can be really cute sometimes. XD
And I recall having a slight crush on Hayami. His attitude was boss. Why am I such a sucker for black-haired moody types!?
I would like to watch this again....:[ I can't remember much of it aside from those two. I always remember characters over plots!!
Old 2012-02-05, 18:59   Link #5
Lost Cause

Did they go into more details about what Zorndyke was hoping to accomplish?
Not in the manga I read. But if I do remember they did a fairly decent job of figuring that out in the final episode. Zorndyke was attempting to rid the world of humanity and make it an Eden once again, with his mutants!
Old 2012-02-05, 21:42   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Zorndyke was attempting to rid the world of humanity and make it an Eden once again, with his mutants!
That's what it initially seemed like, but...

Spoiler for Spoilerish stuff about episode 4:

Agh, that Zorndyke is such a conflicted character is what makes the series so difficult for me to appreciate through to the end...
Old 2012-02-05, 23:06   Link #7
Lost Cause

^Yes I forgot that part! As for Zorndyke, you must admit he was a perfect villian/bad guy, you couldn't help but hate the guy. That's what made the show different and in my opinion a notch above the average anime of the time.
Old 2012-02-06, 00:25   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
^Yes I forgot that part! As for Zorndyke, you must admit he was a perfect villian/bad guy, you couldn't help but hate the guy. That's what made the show different and in my opinion a notch above the average anime of the time.
I don't know, I didn't hate him... it just seemed like so much of what he did was senseless.

Spoiler for Spoiler tags so that I don't have to think about if I'm giving away spoilers:

I don't know... I find Zorndyke to be a fascinating character, in part because I feel that I must be missing something behind him. Or maybe I just don't want to accept that the entire conflict that the series revolves around was started over something senseless and not fully thought out.
Old 2012-02-06, 07:38   Link #9
Lost Cause

That's just it, Zorndyke was a cold, barrin, man after the accident that killed his family, he wanted to lash out at the world and make them pay for his grief.
Then when confronted you see a shriveled up prune of a man who is cold, calculating, and without emotion just wanting to die but by someone else's hand. That is what makes him the villain, and by the time you meet him you seem to identify with him!
Old 2012-02-06, 10:33   Link #10
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Hmm, I see... that's a fitting interpretation. Thanks for sharing it!