AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-01, 23:05   Link #1
Demi

Tsubasa Chronicle has consumed my soul

Well, considering myself a traditional tsundere fan, I decided to diverge and dive into Tsubasa Chronicle... and it has consumed my soul. I finished the entire series and first OVA in 2 days (and second one too if I can get a hold of it).

And it took me so long to get into it, but the Bee Train production won me over (loved them from Noir).

But what else is out there? I know I'm going to be craving more as soon as I finish the second OVA and then fill in the rest with wikipedia...

Addiction sucks.

Also, any tsundere series that are similar to Tsubasa?
Old 2009-08-01, 23:16   Link #2
Ash Falls Town

Er who's the tsundere in Tsubasa Chronicle?
Are you talking about Kurogane? Or someone else?

Well to answer your question firstly there is a Tsubasa movie so watch that if you haven't.
Secondly before watching the second OVA watch xxxholic. It has Yuuko in it and Watanuki the main character sometimes acts like a wimpier Kurogane. You need to watch it to fully understand the second OVA anyway.
Old 2009-08-01, 23:24   Link #3
Demi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
Er who's the tsundere in Tsubasa Chronicle?
Are you talking about Kurogane? Or someone else?

Well to answer your question firstly there is a Tsubasa movie so watch that if you haven't.
Secondly before watching the second OVA watch xxxholic. It has Yuuko in it and Watanuki the main character sometimes acts like a wimpier Kurogane. You need to watch it to fully understand the second OVA anyway.
There is no (major) tsundere in Tsubasa... that's why it was slow for me to pick up. Kurogame is pretty much a male tsundere though (is there a term for that). I thought about doing xxxholic but the wikipedia intro didn't really interest me, but I guess that should be next on my list. I just assume that xxxholic explains the background about Yuuko and time traveling.

Also, after a quick skim (didn't actually read) on the wikipedia pages, it seems like there is a lot more background information than the series has provided (like Fay's background, and Sakura's clone. Is this all explained in the second OVA, or is that something left out of the anime?
Old 2009-08-02, 06:39   Link #4
Ash Falls Town

Ah sorry I didn't see that you diverged from your traditional tastes to try this.
I've heard male tsunderes been called oranyan before but it's an uncommon expression, usually people just say male tsundere.

Unfortunately Fay's background and Sakura's clone aren't explained in the second OVA. These are explained in the two arcs between Acid Tokyo (1st OVA) and Nihon (2nd OVA).
xxxholic doesn't explain anything about time traveling but you only need to know about time traveling for Shura/Shara and the arc after Nihon. There is a lot of background for Yuuko though and more importantly it explains the rules of the CLAMPverse.
Old 2009-08-03, 02:59   Link #5
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Why not watch Card Captor Sakura? It's better than Tsubasa IMO, anyway - in fact, I give it a 10/10, and think it is Clamp's best work, ever. And gosh, Bee Train... hmmm. I liked Noir, too, but consider them generally a not-very-good studio. I think Noir was basically good because of Yuki Kajiura.

If you like tsunderes, try Toradora, Shakugan no Shana, and Zero no Tsukaima (the first season, not the sequels, which have a different team). And, say, Full Metal Panic. Those are all female tsunderes, though.

But you might consider the male protagonist in School Rumble a male tsundere. Possibly. Nothing like Tsubasa, but a very good series, regardless. Mainly comedy.

If you want another Yuki Kajiura-composed anime, try Mai Hime. Music is at least as good as Noir (totally different content, though). And Mai Hime is, IMO, much better than Noir.

Anime kind of like Noir... well, aside from Bee Train stuff like Madlax (don't bother), you might try Darker than Black, Elfen Lied, and Gunslinger Girl. All very dark and full of assassins.
Old 2009-08-03, 03:04   Link #6
qwertyuiopz

ye cardcaptors for sure...i hated tsubasa XD
Old 2009-08-03, 04:27   Link #7
Cipher

I liked the theme, genre, character setting, setting, and original main idea of characters of Tsubasa Chronicles. I even bought several mangas of it before its anime release. It was a great idea, IMO. But only as an idea. The resulting work? no. The plot, character development, pace, and emotional quality was simply nothing. nothing...0/100. had potential, IMO, but even with THAT much episodes its still untapped. Card Captor Sakura was good as a magical girl type shoujo anime but its strictly not for males. Why? has a Yaoi nature
Old 2009-08-03, 06:57   Link #8
Demi

Cardcaptors is somewhere on my list to watch... I've seen most of it way back when it was on Cartoon Network, of course the random airing sequence didn't help any. I have seen all of FMP, it was pretty good but I wouldn't call it a favorite of mine.

@ Saber Cherry, I like Bee Train mainly for their style. They have a pretty good use of angles and environment, and a good music team to boot. Their character development and pacing tends to get weak, though. I did like .Hack though.

@ Cipher I do agree that most of the Tsubasa anime was poorly done. Too many three-episode arcs of monster-of-the-week stories. I found the OVAs to do a lot better job, although they may have compressed a bit much.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:05   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'd suggest reading Cardcaptor Sakura, then alternating between Tsubasa Chronicles and XXXholic (all three manga), since the latter two are deeply connected and when I first finished the anime I had a WTF feeling for over 5 months until I could figure out the entire plot. Some things were changed in the anime and a LOT is ommited, leading to huge plot holes and an unfinished series. Oh, and the TRC anime was fillerific, for a series with so deep plot I still wonder why they used fillers and never dished out a 3rd season.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:41   Link #10
nanafan
horo fan

i agree with kafriel since the three series has most of the same characters and some stuff is inner connected. i am rewatching the whole series again, can't get enough of it.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:08   Link #11
Kafriel
Senior Guest

From what I've noticed, Subaru and his twin brother were also used in Babylon or X/1999 or something like that, which got canceled due to being too violent, and Mokona also comes from a dragon knight series whose title I fail to remember atm. Watching all of them is a good way to make sure you understand the characters, but that's only if you're reeeeally that interested in them.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:08   Link #12
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I have to say...

Cardcaptors is not Card Captor Sakura.

Card Captor Sakura was transformed into Cardcaptors by ripping out the beautiful music, deleting some episodes and randomizing the order of the rest, cutting out large chunks of material from all episodes because it didn't make it past the censors... then changing the names of all the characters and changing the dialog. They really aren't the same thing. Card Captor Sakura was never dubbed in English, and is available only in Japanese with English subs.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:13   Link #13
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Other shows by CLAMP also fit the bill X1999 and Magic Knight Rayearth are the most similar to CCS and TC titles by CLAMP which have an anime version. Of course there are many others manga only works which you might want to check as well.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:12   Link #14
Demi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I have to say...

Card Captor Sakura was transformed into Cardcaptors by ripping out the beautiful music, deleting some episodes and randomizing the order of the rest, cutting out large chunks of material from all episodes because it didn't make it past the censors... then changing the names of all the characters and changing the dialog. They really aren't the same thing. Card Captor Sakura was never dubbed in English, and is available only in Japanese with English subs.
I realize that. I know I have to do justice by watching it subbed... on my to do list.

@ Proto: I liked X1999, watched about half the anime series and saw the movie. I prefer series that are completed though... don't like to wait for weekly releases or have an unfinished ending.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:33   Link #15
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
I have to say...

a sub is a sub and a dub is a dub
i dont see the point of making things troublesome by categorizing dubs as if it has no relation to its original
Old 2009-08-03, 19:37   Link #16
Proto

It's just that more than a dub it was a storyline remake, which many people don't appreciate and hence point out the difference so that know what was wrong in case you watched the dub and didn't like it
Old 2009-08-03, 19:45   Link #17
P99

Quote:
Why not watch Card Captor Sakura? It's better than Tsubasa IMO, anyway - in fact, I give it a 10/10, and think it is Clamp's best work, ever. And gosh, Bee Train... hmmm. I liked Noir, too, but consider them generally a not-very-good studio. I think Noir was basically good because of Yuki Kajiura.

If you like tsunderes, try Toradora, Shakugan no Shana, and Zero no Tsukaima (the first season, not the sequels, which have a different team). And, say, Full Metal Panic. Those are all female tsunderes, though.

But you might consider the male protagonist in School Rumble a male tsundere. Possibly. Nothing like Tsubasa, but a very good series, regardless. Mainly comedy.

If you want another Yuki Kajiura-composed anime, try Mai Hime. Music is at least as good as Noir (totally different content, though). And Mai Hime is, IMO, much better than Noir.

Anime kind of like Noir... well, aside from Bee Train stuff like Madlax (don't bother), you might try Darker than Black, Elfen Lied, and Gunslinger Girl. All very dark and full of assassins.
I agree with both of those animes. They were really good in my opinion and i think you will like them.
Old 2009-08-03, 22:46   Link #18
Proto

He never requested anime with tsunderes though. Please, re read his post once again. He's just saying that he traditionally only liked series with tsunderes till TRC.
Old 2009-08-03, 23:59   Link #19
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
He never requested anime with tsunderes though. Please, re read his post once again. He's just saying that he traditionally only liked series with tsunderes till TRC.
Yes, lets make it clear. He/She is looking for a Tsundere type Tsubasa Chronicles. Sorry, that's too rare for me to have an idea of. Sakura, a maybe tsundere, in CCS is a might.
Old 2009-08-04, 00:29   Link #20
Proto

... you should edit the tsundere part out of your first post my friend. For some reason I can't understand it's confusing the hell out of everyone and their dog.

Anyway, how about another series by Bee Train with a similar fantasy theme like //hack.sign ?
Closed Thread