Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-24, 20:50   Link #1361
Kagatob

Send a message via AIM to Kagatob
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Anyone else get a kick out of Ryouhei? Oh, and how about those bathing suits. They suited each girl quite nicely.

[/topic change]
I don't personally mind Ryouhei much, I don't particularly like him either, though I wish they would show more Tsun-Kazuha beating him up. I wonder if most people dislike him because he's the meddler that is trying to put the other girls with Haru and trying to take Sora for himself, in other words, he's unknowingly the main antagonist for all the Haru/Sora fans.
Kagatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 21:07   Link #1362
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Anyone else get a kick out of Ryouhei? Oh, and how about those bathing suits. They suited each girl quite nicely.

[/topic change]

Motoka won, no contest.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 21:07   Link #1363
Equidistant

Quote:
[/topic change]
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob View Post
I don't personally mind Ryouhei much, I don't particularly like him either, though I wish they would show more Tsun-Kazuha beating him up. I wonder if most people dislike him because he's the meddler that is trying to put the other girls with Haru and trying to take Sora for himself, in other words, he's unknowingly the main antagonist for all the Haru/Sora fans.
I'd agree about Ryouhei, he just hasn't been in the show enough for me to feel any which way about him. I also don't think you can see him as an antagonist for Haru/Sora fans, given that no matter what Sora will have her own arc lol. He was actually pretty good in episode 8, so I wouldn't mind seeing more of him.
Equidistant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 21:28   Link #1364
Seitsuki
Onee!

Well considering Sora has never shown the slightest bit of interest in anyone except Haru I believe Ryouhei is pretty much a non issue. He's pretty much just your typical "guy friend" cliche prevalent in most VNs; provides comic relief, advice of dubious value/occasional sharp insights and never gets between you and your girl

On another note I do believe that by making this a 1 cour series unlike say Amagami quite a lot of the development has been lost. In essence Haru gets 3 episodes a girl to more or less meet her, get close to her then get in her pants. Often multiple times. This kind of rushing results in quite a lot of suspension of disbelief as well as forced assumptions I think, which may be passable for some elements but really hurts the show overall in the end.
Old 2010-11-24, 21:47   Link #1365
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:

[/topic change]
Okay okay.

Ryouhei serves his role as the sort of "idiot sidekick" well in this arc; it's actually probably the only arc in the anime (so far) where this comes through fully. But it was also good in Episode 8 how they used him to draw parallels to the past as someone who had been there this whole time. The revelation that he's Nao's childhood friend, and the fact that he'd noticed the chance in Nao, adds some context to why he had been pushing them together... though I have to say that, because of Nao's apprehension about "the incident", I'm not sure if we ever actually saw that many signs of the changed behaviour Ryouhei referred to -- mostly just her being apprehensive/awkward around Haruka. In fact, that awkwardness was what Haruka picked up on, which was itself in contrast to his image of the smiling Nao. But if it was even worse before he showed up, it's quite the contrast. When Haruka was worried about things returning to the past, they returned to pretty close to the way Nao was portrayed at the start of the anime. Indeed, she "is hated", just not by Haruka.

I think the important thing about Episode 8 is that, even though Haruka had long since "gotten over" the past and wanted to start over, neither of them realized that Sora had seen what had happened. So now they have to help her get over it too. That's why it was so telling at the start of the episode when Haruka acted so suspiciously around Sora -- as if he knew he was doing something wrong. Of course, Sora picked up on that sign as well. Same with when he said he "had something to talk to her about" -- he kept acting like he was bringing her bad news. Their decision by the end of the episode to push forward and try to get Sora to forgive and accept them was important -- whatever happened in the past, what they're doing now isn't wrong or anything to be ashamed of. As Ryouhei said "nothing bad will happen if you give me a piece of your happiness". They both have to stop acting like they're doing something that Sora won't like; Sora isn't losing a brother, she's getting her childhood friend back. That was referenced in the photo album scene, where we note that the happy memories "ended" after that summer (nice touch to have the blank album page). Very important to note that they ended for Sora after that summer as well. (Remember that important scene with Sora looking through the same photo album in the first episode.) They all need to start over.

There's a good progression in Sora's behaviour in Episode 8 that continued from Episode 7. First she tears out all the buttons, then she refuses to eat Nao's lunch, then she throws out Nao's curry, and then she she walks away from Nao's lunch a second time... But each time there's little bit more... I don't know... "give" there? At first it's like "I can't accept this", then it transitions to "I won't accept this", and by the end it's more like "I'm not ready to accept this [yet]". Subtle, but progress is actually being made. But basically, if Sora loves Haruka, she has to come to accept the person he loves.

I think it was also interesting that they brought back Akira's winning popsicle stick from Episode 3 (Kazuha's path). This was a very good way to infer what was happening in that scene without having to dwell too much on it, and timeline-wise we're probably at about the same place. Same with the flashback to the "Nao crying" scene that was shown first in Episode 1, and again in Episode 7 -- we now hear Haruka's dialog for the first time, and it closes the loop perfectly (just as good foreshadowing should).

And as was already commented, the middle part of the second half, where they mostly used music and facial expression to tell the story, was pretty top-class. This show doing what it does best.

As for the swimsuits (finally getting back around to the quote)... well, yeah -- taken straight from the game. The whole Ryouhei scene with him falling over and the sudden water was kind of dumb... but yeah. All in all it was a very good episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
On another note I do believe that by making this a 1 cour series unlike say Amagami quite a lot of the development has been lost. In essence Haru gets 3 episodes a girl to more or less meet her, get close to her then get in her pants. Often multiple times. This kind of rushing results in quite a lot of suspension of disbelief as well as forced assumptions I think, which may be passable for some elements but really hurts the show overall in the end.
I agree in a way, but at the same time I think the development in this show has been quite effective. They make extremely good use of the time they have; there's very rarely a wasted minute. If you pay attention to the dialog and imagery, everything that happens makes sense and is properly foreshadowed. So, even though it moves quickly, I don't think it should hurt the suspension of disbelief very much -- especially once you get used to the pacing. Having been through almost 3 full arcs now, I'm starting to get used to it, and I'd even say it has a certain charm to it. Sex scenes arguably sometimes notwithstanding, this anime has zero filler, and that's kind of neat. (Which is actually quite unlike the other show you mentioned -- it has 4 episodes per heroine, just as this show does if you count shared episodes, but doesn't always feel like they're using the time all that well.)
Old 2010-11-24, 23:28   Link #1366
Wigwams

well that was funny.

best expression ever.
Spoiler for size:

too good to stop?
Spoiler for NSFW:
Old 2010-11-25, 00:14   Link #1367
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
too good to stop?
Spoiler for NSFW:
Haru was just in the mood that he could not stop no matter who was looking at him... Its sorta creepy now that you think about it...
Old 2010-11-25, 00:16   Link #1368
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

He's a stone pimp.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 00:28   Link #1369
Wigwams

haha. this one is a meme from HOTD.
Spoiler for size:
Old 2010-11-25, 02:11   Link #1370
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Haru did not surprise or feeling guilty when Sora caught him having sex with Nao because he want to show her that "Nao is my girlfriend now. I hope she will be good sister-in-law to you". Unfortunately for Haru his sister didn't have the same thoughts.

Next episode will be Nao's arc finale. I hope things will get better in Sora's arc.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:13   Link #1371
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Haru did not surprise or feeling guilty when Sora caught him having sex with Nao because he want to show her that "Nao is my girlfriend now. I hope she will be good sister-in-law to you". Unfortunately for Haru his sister didn't have the same thoughts.

Next episode will be Nao's arc finale. I hope things will get better in Sora's arc.
Of course, after it was cleared from what the ED scene showed where Sora was peeping into a room and apparently 2 people were doing it, it seemed like it was Nao and Haru. Sora just wants Haru to herself, not someone who raped him to be his girlfriend, it just seemed unacceptable for her.
Old 2010-11-25, 02:17   Link #1372
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
well that was funny.

best expression ever.
Spoiler for size:
(#^_^)
*punches Haru*

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 02:54   Link #1373
dark998

Entertaining episode. Watching Sora release all that anger contained over the years when she caught (again) Haru and Nao in the act...wow. Poor Nao got blown away, though our beloved MC came out unscathed. Even when he kept fuc..doing his job after Sora found them

Next episode...N4 and end of this route. Please forgive them, Sora!
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 03:53   Link #1374
Equidistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Next episode...N4 and end of this route. Please forgive them, Sora!
Man I really don't want this arc to end. At first I was looking forward to Sora's arc, but unless they go back to the end of episode one for the start, it's not looking too good. Episode 7 was a flat out Nao episode, all the developments that took place during it were perfectly carried over to episode 8, and I just don't want Sora's arc being the B-side to Nao's.
Equidistant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 04:49   Link #1375
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
well that was funny.

best expression ever.
Spoiler for size:

too good to stop?
Spoiler for NSFW:
I think it wasn't meant to be funny but omg I laughed so hard when I saw that scene. XD XD XD

Nao:
Sora:
Haru:
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 06:50   Link #1376
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

what can i say about Haru-chan?..
when i first saw that scene i was really shocked, but its too funny..

i feel bad for Sora at least..

why Haru isn't so much affected with that scene? he's still optimistic after all..

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 13:19   Link #1377
Kagatob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantQuiteGuess View Post
Episode 7 was a flat out Nao episode, all the developments that took place during it were perfectly carried over to episode 8, and I just don't want Sora's arc being the B-side to Nao's.
I feel the same way, I'm really worried episode 10 Nao/Haru are going to hook up anyway (episode wasted) then episode 11 we get to waste an episode of them being pried apart, and finally during episode 12 the arc's namesake finally gets hers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa Maneira View Post
what can i say about Haru-chan?..
when i first saw that scene i was really shocked, but its too funny..

i feel bad for Sora at least..

why Haru isn't so much affected with that scene? he's still optimistic after all..
It's pretty obvious that in this arc Haru doesn't care what happens as long as he gets to insert rod H into slot N.

Haru seemed like a pretty decent guy in Kazu's arc, and while he had several annoying moments in Akira's arc he still showed heart and care for things other than the 'end goal'. This Haru... he's the character everyone seemed to be worried about him becoming when the series started.
I find it strange that everyone thinks that at the end of episode 8 Sora was beginning to 'lighten up' to the two being a couple. With the way Haru was acting, I personally think Sora is starting to second guess herself about why she was so brocon-obsessed in the first place, with this guy who is now being a complete douche-bag.
Sora is a head of that household as well, for her to stand and say that she didn't want Nao in that house ever again is a big statement to make, but low and behold Haru has her show up a few days later before school, and then starts regularly bringing her over again like nothing happened. Then the childish ways they tried to force her to spend time with them during lunch among other times. Do people not discuss their problems anymore?
He's to the point where he's pushed Sora so far to the side that he might as well kick her out of their house.

I've been readily looking forward to 10-12 of this show since they revealed the omnibus format, I'm really hoping Haru goes through a huge character renovation before then.
Old 2010-11-25, 14:26   Link #1378
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
It's pretty obvious that in this arc Haru doesn't care what happens as long as he gets to insert rod H into slot N.

Haru seemed like a pretty decent guy in Kazu's arc, and while he had several annoying moments in Akira's arc he still showed heart and care for things other than the 'end goal'. This Haru... he's the character everyone seemed to be worried about him becoming when the series started.
I completely disagree. It takes a fair amount of willpower to begin with in order to stop. Also remember that when Sora threw Nao out of the house (half dressed) and Haru cooled down, he immediately tried to explain the situation to Sora; if for no other reason Nao is mature and would understand his reaction, unlike his spoiled little sister. Trying to explain the situation to Sora was also the theme in the beginning, and it was made obvious that Sora just did not want to face reality ... that Haru's life does not belong to her.

Quote:
I find it strange that everyone thinks that at the end of episode 8 Sora was beginning to 'lighten up' to the two being a couple. With the way Haru was acting, I personally think Sora is starting to second guess herself about why she was so brocon-obsessed in the first place, with this guy who is now being a complete douche-bag.

Quote:
Sora is a head of that household as well, for her to stand and say that she didn't want Nao in that house ever again is a big statement to make, but low and behold Haru has her show up a few days later before school, and then starts regularly bringing her over again like nothing happened. Then the childish ways they tried to force her to spend time with them during lunch among other times. Do people not discuss their problems anymore?

He's to the point where he's pushed Sora so far to the side that he might as well kick her out of their house.
Half the time Haru and Nao spent together is about how they can soften Sora in order to accept the obvious, that her brother wants to date a girl. Remember that was also an issue with Kazuha, and it took Akira's intervention for Sora to get over her jelously.

Quote:
I've been readily looking forward to 10-12 of this show since they revealed the omnibus format, I'm really hoping Haru goes through a huge character renovation before then.
Or Sora tries to behave a little bit more maturely
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 14:39   Link #1379
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Ehh... The one who's being childish here is Sora, frankly. While I do sympathize with her, Haruka and Nao aren't doing anything wrong now (what happened in the past perhaps notwithstanding). Nao was Sora's childhood friend as well, but she's made her the enemy because she's "stealing Haruka away from her". As if Haruka is hers to begin with -- that's just her being a jealous, possessive little sister. She had no right to demand Nao keep her distance from Haruka, because Haruka doesn't belong to her. She does need to get over her excessive brocon in order to move on. Granted, it would probably be good for them to all sit down and have a talk about it, but it's pretty clear that Sora isn't very interested in listening. So all Haruka can do is try to get her to accept it bit by bit.

Just as with the other routes, she has to come to the point where she accepts that she can still have Haruka as a brother even if she can't have him as her lover. In this path, that's the sort of relationship that Haruka wants to have with her (see Episode 1 for the foreshadowing of this). Haruka shouldn't have to get his little sister's permission to date whoever he chooses...
Old 2010-11-25, 14:48   Link #1380
Kagatob

You want to talk about maturity, let's talk about Nao, who up until the main confrontation didn't even know that Sora had witnessed them having sex when they were children. So with that in mind, why hasn't Nao re-introduced herself to Sora who was her other childhood best friend who lived in the very same house.
Instead her first time seeing Sora was when she was sewing the button on the shirt, sure it's a favor for Sora... kinda... even though all it really ended up being was a time for Nao and Haru to be alone together. The first conversation that happened between the two was when Sora caught them having sex the second time. If Nao had cared about anything other than getting back with Haru you think she'd try to make nice again with Sora as well. Even from her point of view, when they were going through the pictures, it was all about Nao and Haru, completely forgetting that Sora was there too and that she was the 'best friend' to the both of them then.

Sora, who was sickly the majority of her life, who just when she starts to become somewhat healthy again loses her parents, and has the only other person who has ever cared for her in her life slipping away from her, into the arms of the person who caused another traumatic experience for her. If she is nothing but a spoiled brat, I need to figure out who isn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Ehh... The one who's being childish here is Sora, frankly. While I do sympathize with her, Haruka and Nao aren't doing anything wrong now (what happened in the past perhaps notwithstanding). Nao was Sora's childhood friend as well, but she's made her the enemy because she's "stealing Haruka away from her". As if Haruka is hers to begin with -- that's just her being a jealous, possessive little sister. She had no right to demand Nao keep her distance from Haruka, because Haruka doesn't belong to her. She does need to get over her excessive brocon in order to move on. Granted, it would probably be good for them to all sit down and have a talk about it, but it's pretty clear that Sora isn't very interested in listening. So all Haruka can do is try to get her to accept it bit by bit.
I only agree with half of this. I do believe that if you like someone and want to be with them, you have every right to be regardless of what your friends/family think provided you will be happy with the outcome, however everyone knows, if you're dating a girl and your mother/father/sister or someone at home doesn't like that person, or doesn't like you with that person, you don't bring them home. You don't shove that person in your family's face expecting them to accept it, at best you end up with... to quote Oreimo, "Do whatever you want you worthless son of mine".

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen, visual novel adaptation