AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-11-22, 23:22   Link #1441
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
I think episode 7 is going to be my last episode for this series. Yuuichi is just way to much of an asshole for me to continue watching. I like the female characters and I'm find things with them pretty interesting. However for all the good in this series Yuuichi's actions just keep taking away from that and canceling things out. If he's not being physically abuse he's being verbally so. The constant hitting of Makoto just pisses me off so much. Usually I can just get upset but I was seriously getting angry about it in episode 7. That was just the final straw for me.

The fact that no one even says anything about it to him just makes matters even worse. I can't stand crap like this. It's a shame too like I said the stories of the girls were starting out interesting and I was really like Makoto and wanted to see how her story turned out, as well as the others but can't keeping watching the show due to Yuuichi. Not like I can ignore him since he's such a central part to the story.

Are there any other shows similar to this one but where the main male lead isn't such an ass, jerk, etc?
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 23:39   Link #1442
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effect View Post
Are there any other shows similar to this one but where the main male lead isn't such an ass, jerk, etc?
Go watch Toei's 2002 Kanon where Yuuichi is an all round nice but flat 2D person. And rewatch KyoAni's 2006 Kanon.

Tell us what you think then.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 23:44   Link #1443
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Honestly I think I'd rather do with the all around nice and 2D personality then this current version. He doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities I feel.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 00:03   Link #1444
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Da Capo is perhaps a good one for you Effect.
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 00:07   Link #1445
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

So is Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien and Shuffle!
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 00:16   Link #1446
RecurringNightmare
The Darkness In Your Mind

Send a message via MSN to RecurringNightmare
Do you really think that Rin from Shuffle was nice? I'd rather have a character thats an open ass opposed to one who actually is obsessed with his own problems that just masks it with a nice exterior.
RecurringNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 00:51   Link #1447
DanielSong39

Hiroyuki from To Heart is a genuine nice guy. Kenji from Lamune comes close, though he's not quite as well rounded. Among this season's lead males, Haruhiko from Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow seems to be a decent guy.

But if you prefer the grittier, more masculine type, Yukito from AIR is a good place to start. He is an example of a guy who can be a bit arrogant and act like a jerk at times, but has a lot of redeeming qualities and has an intriguing backstory. Kanon 2006's Yuuichi comes across as a 2D character compared to Yukito.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 01:00   Link #1448
DanielSong39

Also, there's also the option of checking out the Kanon manga, which you can find here. Yuuichi is a bit nicer in this adaptation, and the girls actually show some backbone! Nayuki is particularly good at keeping Yuuichi in line.
Old 2006-11-23, 02:36   Link #1449
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Good lord, Yuuichi is a good-hearted charmer compared to some of the arrogant crap I've seen in past years. Many of the recommendations for alternatives are good though --- Tokimeki is also one I'd say give it a try. Aoba is a pretty nice guy in that one (so far).
Old 2006-11-23, 03:16   Link #1450
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Er...i might be on crack or something without my knowlidge, but i do not agree with single pont you made, Effect. Yuuichi is a pretty decent guy, and he is lightyears better than some of the crap in other series. He is mean to Makoto ? Have you missed that she is trying to pull a prank on him on every chance? And the worst he has done is reply with a prank? Almost slapping Makoto in ep7 ? I got to hand it to this guy - he has immense self controll. I myself would have slapped her without thinking twice and not regretting it later.

On a side note - yay, i knew i should have avoided this thread... thanks to that i am now spoiled about the ending of the first Kanon..lucky me.... hooray for lack of spoiler tags ...well, at least as far as the girl he chose ... and the choice makes me even more upset... *goes to hide under a rock in the corner and unleash river of tears while waiting for the next ep *

Last edited by Skyfall; 2006-11-23 at 14:10.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 03:29   Link #1451
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

argh.... well, all I can say in sympathy is that it makes some sense once you see it unfold - though it is none the less sad for the other girls.

I'm not quite sure what Effect is pointing in regard to Yuuichi being physically abusive.
If Effect means the newspaper and shamisan type stuff ... that is standard japanese behavior and in other anime one will see the girls employing it as often as the boys (e.g. Ichigo Masimaru...). Its like a derivative of the Zen master's method of getting the target's attention. By my count, Yuuichi has only considered actual physical violence *once* and that was because he considered Makoto's action with the cat to be severe cruelty.

As far as verbal abuse.... one should play some 'classic' ero-games and look at the seriously awful choices given to the player for responses. Yuuichi is 21st century modern feminist in comparison. I dunno, little of what he says is actually hurtful so much as playful jabs and sarcasm --- characteristic of most teens I teach or work with. Also remember that Kanon is kind of a timewarp into the Japan of the year 1999ish. Even today, many americans consider some of japanese culture regarding male and female behavior to be "1950s quaint" (to put it diplomatically).
Old 2006-11-23, 03:41   Link #1452
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, i gues it will make some sense - at least i have no idea how they arrive at the destination and what happens to all of the other girls... or even to the one he chose, so there are still a lot of things to find out and speculate about .... still kinda pissed non the less And now i even get to mourn over the fact that "My girl" does not win the end for the whole series... unless they change the ending. Not that i mind too much ( I will still allow myself some guilty pleasure of fanboyish whining of minor amounts:P ) - i am completely used to that for a long time now, and as long as the story is well written i will be happy no matter of his choice, which some other series fail to do. *cough* Shuffle *cough*
Old 2006-11-23, 04:06   Link #1453
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I realized I was in the minority with "favorite girls" a number of years ago -- apparently my tastes do not coincide with the majority of japanese otaku (that's probably a thank goodness). However, in the this story (assuming they don't choose a different path) the story mechanics and narration make sense (at least down to the choice between two particular girls which is where most of the fanboy riots commence).

( one of my early illuminations that I had alternative views: Motoko+Keitaro2.0 ftw )
Old 2006-11-23, 12:52   Link #1454
New/Old
Old to the New

Got it exactly, Vexx and Skyfall. I can only wonder why anyone would think otherwise by looking at Yuuichi as a person. You don't even need to go far to see that he's a caring guy deep inside. Oh well.
Old 2006-11-26, 01:34   Link #1455
toblivericuknow

is this worth watching??
Old 2006-11-26, 01:50   Link #1456
New/Old
Old to the New

Heh heh. That depends on one's taste. If you like a good story with laughs in the beginning and sad stories in the end with a mixture of fantasy within, then you may want to try this out.

If you enjoyed Air, you also may want to try this out.

Well, that's all I can say for now really....
Old 2006-11-26, 02:11   Link #1457
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toblivericuknow View Post
is this worth watching??
I'd say this is one of the better shows being aired atm Depends on your taste i supose, but it is a safe bet.
Old 2006-11-26, 02:13   Link #1458
DanielSong39

Try watching the first couple of episodes. If you find the girls to be cute and endearing, you'll likely enjoy the show a great deal. But if you find them annoying and childish, you probably won't.

As for the plot... it's rather similar to a fairy tale, so it's important to keep an open mind. Expect plenty of magic and melodrama.

If you have a soft spot of romance/drama and prefer a more mature and realistic work, Asatte no Houkou is the show I'd recommend.
Old 2006-11-26, 03:36   Link #1459
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know about "more mature and realistic" since Asatte no Houkou is about as fairy tale fantasy a premise as you can get. Its a great show though. "mature and realistic" probably applies more to shows like Hatakari Man or the Honey&Clover series. Possibly Bokura ga Ita.
Old 2006-11-26, 04:12   Link #1460
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Forget what DanielSong said; a couple of episodes isn't going to tell you a lot about what Kanon really is like or about. Give it 8, at least.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen