AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-24, 19:07   Link #1
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Anime you love but everyone else hates?

Pretty much the opposite of the other thread. No, I don't mean underrated. We already have a thread like that. I mean shows that you liked and you see a LOT of negativity about them. Online reviews, a majority of opinions you see on forums, what your friends say, etc. This is your chance to defend them.

If you're brave enough.

Mine are:

Rizelmine.
It's loli. It's ecchi. It's wrong. But I loved it. I found it hilarious and cute. Especially the jokes where you think the characters are engaged in something really naughty and it turns out that they're doing something ridiculous. It really made me laugh out loud. And all the reviews I've seen on this series bash it to no end. The reviewers don't even watch the ending! They watch like four episodes and deem it as crap. Rizelmine has one of the best endings I've ever seen in an anime! Underneath all the ecchi and loli fanservice is a sweet romantic comedy about two young kids. I am not ashamed to say that I liked it!

Mouse
Wow. Yes, this is really ecchi. But it's funny. It's the funniest ecchiest anime I've seen, I think. Again, this gets bashed because people seem to take it too seriously. They don't get that the point of Mouse is to make you laugh with random stupid perverted humor. And I don't know how one could not laugh at a scenario when the main character is looking for the remote to the TV and one of his harem maids shows up with the remote buttons on her breasts! Come on, that is FUNNY!

DearS
I admit the manga is FAR FAR better but the anime is fine for what it is. The only problem is there's not enough of it. I've seen people saying that DearS is an anime that completely degrades women into sex slaves. Bullcrap. There are male DearS too! The plot may not be very much. But I love the characters, colors, and animation in DearS. Its purpose is to entertain and it did. Much more than Chobits. But of course this is coming from someone who is sick of the Chobits hype.

Other anime I like that people seem to hate a lot....

Kirarin Revolution. Yeah it's shoujo fluff. Well I LIKE shoujo fluff.
Maze TV/OVA
Nurse Angel Ririka SOS
Disgaea. It's different than the game, sure. But it's not THAT bad.
UFO Ultra Maiden Valkryie
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Old 2008-02-24, 19:12   Link #2
Chiron_Basileus

Send a message via AIM to Chiron_Basileus
Earthian - The first two OVAs were wonderful. They were some of the first ones I bought.
Tekkaman Blade II - Dead End is for some reason one of my favorite anime characters ever and the woman who does his dubbed voice has a sexy voice.
Metal Idol Key - I haven't met another person whose seen this one.
Argento Soma - There's something about Ryu Soma's obsessiveness that's fascinating.
Old 2008-02-24, 19:13   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
1) InuYasha
-I don't absolutely 10/10 love it, of course, but I don't see why people complain so much about it. Of course it's repetitive, but there's constant action with all the adventures you need. There's also romance and comedy, which is a plus, and also the characters switch back from one world to the next so I didn't get bored much. At the very least it shouldn't be on the same levels as Lee's Training Session or Bounto.

2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
-It's sad that this anime is now hated by people who used to love it because some of the people who still loves it are making too big of a deal about it so it converts people who used to love it into people who now hates it? I love it, and it doesn't matter if those people over there portray Haruhi as God, since I don't, and they're not going to influence me to somehow hate it.

3) Myself ; Yourself
-Where should I start. Oh right, the ending. I agree that it wasn't top-notched, but people will rate this anime very low just because the ending was bad and they forgot about the arc(s) they like. Others say that Hinako has no purpose and should be given less screen time, but I enjoy her episodes a lot even if it doesn't fit into the plot. There are many more reasons given on why this anime sucks, but since it's used to promote a game, I didn't choose to look too deep into this anime and just enjoy the slice-of-life-ish aspect of the anime plus some random drama.

Of course this is all opinion; I'm not trying to "convert" any of you and you don't have to flame back.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-02-24 at 19:47.
Old 2008-02-24, 19:16   Link #4
Rahan

I watch animes I heard good things about (forums, IRC ...) or animes with good ratings on anidb. (I never start a serie before 7-8 episodes have aired, so I can have decent opinions about it), so I rarely watch animes everyone seems to hate.

I had totally forgotten Maze (TV) though. It was one of the first animes I saw at the end of the nineties, before the rise of popularity of fansubs. The friend of mine who introduced me to animes loaned me his CD with crappy RM versions of it. I rather liked it. Is it that impopular ?
Old 2008-02-24, 19:29   Link #5
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I had totally forgotten Maze (TV) though. It was one of the first animes I saw at the end of the nineties, before the rise of popularity of fansubs. The friend of mine who introduced me to animes loaned me his CD with crappy RM versions of it. I rather liked it. Is it that impopular ?
Eh, the OVA gets a bad rep since it's ecchi and from what I've seen, the TV series isn't well-liked for being cliche.

Quote:
1) InuYasha
-I don't absolutely 10/10 love it, of course, but I don't see why people complain so much about it. Of course it's repetitive, but there's constant action with all the adventures you need. There's also romance and comedy, which is a plus, and also the characters switch back from one world to the next so I didn't get bored much.
THANK YOU. I toyed with bringing this up. It has so much more going for it than the repetition stuff! People treat it pretty unfairly, imho.
Old 2008-02-24, 20:40   Link #6
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Inuyasha. I loved the first few seasons. I agree, some of the newer ones weren't as good, but I think it's a great series. It's very entertaining to me. Action and good comedy. I don't really see why a lot of people don't like it, but oh well. I do
Old 2008-02-24, 22:45   Link #7
Oppius
Banned

DearS : I don't what the hell went wrong with this one. First people hate it because it is a clone of Chobits. Well, that's true because Chobits came earlier. However there are some aspects that makes DearS better than Chobits. DearS are aliens who suppose to be slaves to humans and other sentient beings but instead they were treated like celebrities. They enjoyed full Japanese citizenship which persocoms in Chobits did not. In Chobits other hand, like it or not persocoms are just objects. Second, most people claim it has too many fanservice. That was true actually but I did not hate it. Comparing between Chobits and DearS are just like apple and orange. Both have their own pros and cons. People who enjoyed DearS are actually tired with Chobits hype. However I do love both but I just hate to see people compare both with each other.

Gundam Seed: I know lots of people love it too but I saw people still bashing it today. First thing which most people hate it that the main characters are emo. That was true but if your best friends killed right front of you, you may get pretty emo too.Second this show have too many 'main' mobile suits which are too powerful for real robots like them. It was true by universal but Gawain in Code Geass is like that too but I never heard someone else give similar complain about it.
Old 2008-02-24, 23:25   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UzumakiW View Post
Inuyasha. I loved the first few seasons. I agree, some of the newer ones weren't as good, but I think it's a great series. It's very entertaining to me. Action and good comedy. I don't really see why a lot of people don't like it, but oh well. I do
The thing about InuYasha is that it was still outputting great episodes near the end of the anime. Even though my interest in it has waned, from time to time, episodes such as 147-148: "The Tragic Love Song of Destiny", 153: "The Cruel Reunion of Fate", 159: "Kohaku's Decision and Sango's Heart", 162: "Forever with Lord Sesshomaru", and 163: "Kohaku, Sango and Kirara: The Secret Flower Garden", were very touching and delivers a sense of completion of some sort to the anime, unlike Rurouni Kenshin, where they just stop the fillers abruptly due to low ratings.

(Just a note, but the anime was right to end InuYasha when they ended it, because the manga is still ongoing.)
Old 2008-02-24, 23:44   Link #9
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Evangelion. It's a series that some just love to hate for some reason. Especially the last few episodes of the anime, where the characters are confronted by the reality of their flaws. It didn't look pretty, or well done, but definitely was a high point in anime characterization IMO.
Old 2008-02-24, 23:54   Link #10
Chiibi

Yeah, I don't like it when people base an anime's greatness off JUST the ending. Okay, I hate...HATE the end to Chrno Crusade but I still love the series dearly. Ya know?
Old 2008-02-25, 00:06   Link #11
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Yeah, I don't like it when people base an anime's greatness off JUST the ending. Okay, I hate...HATE the end to Chrno Crusade but I still love the series dearly. Ya know?
School Days comes to mind. Everyone either or hated it depending on how they felt about the ending.
Same with Code Geass, the ending was far from decent, epicly rushed, about 20 cases of Deus ex Machina, but the anime was overall very good.
Except for the roads before the Orange-kun thing. Those were the worst ten seconds of watching the series prior to its epic fail.
Old 2008-02-25, 00:16   Link #12
Romalokp2
ecchi, funny,harem=great

DearS was pretty good
i think people dont like it but not sure.My friends dont like this anime but i love it
Kazuma no stigma
Old 2008-02-25, 00:48   Link #13
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
School Days comes to mind. Everyone either or hated it depending on how they felt about the ending.
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien comes to mind. Everyone either or hated it depending on how they felt about the ending.
Old 2008-02-25, 01:08   Link #14
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
The thing about InuYasha is that it was still outputting great episodes near the end of the anime. Even though my interest in it has waned, from time to time, episodes such as 147-148: "The Tragic Love Song of Destiny", 153: "The Cruel Reunion of Fate", 159: "Kohaku's Decision and Sango's Heart", 162: "Forever with Lord Sesshomaru", and 163: "Kohaku, Sango and Kirara: The Secret Flower Garden", were very touching and delivers a sense of completion of some sort to the anime, unlike Rurouni Kenshin, where they just stop the fillers abruptly due to low ratings.

(Just a note, but the anime was right to end InuYasha when they ended it, because the manga is still ongoing.)
Oh, I know this. I'm just saying that some of the newer episodes after the first few seasons weren't as good as the episodes in the first few seasons. To me, pretty much every episode in the first few seasons was great, but when it got to the seasons after, some of the episodes weren't as good, but I'm not saying they were bad. I know there were great episodes in the seasons after, I don't doubt that because I can think of some good ones right now, but I thought every episode in the first few seasons were the best
Old 2008-02-25, 01:31   Link #15
migus_parvus

Video Girl Ai - most people dismiss it immediately because of the premise the Anime is built upon, not noticing the excellent execution of drama the show has. it's also dated, and a lot of younger people have no patience for the animation or character designs.
Old 2008-02-25, 01:35   Link #16
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien comes to mind. Everyone either or hated it depending on how they felt about the ending.
Though I know that I shouldn't further discuss this, it's not really relevant to Kimibou as much, and won't invoke flaming to an extreme extent.

The ending of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien isn't as central to the series, especially since the main topic regarding the ending is Haruka (not Haruhi) vs. Mitsuki.
It's easy to take either side, but it's the same with some true harem anime, like Shuffle!, Ichigo 100%, and probably not many more, since the choice isn't obvious from the first couple of episodes.
School Days ending was the most controversial topic of the series, and is inarguably the most memorable part of the series, while Kimi ga Nozomu Eien had several other parts to be considered, episode two, Mitsuki's shenanigans, episode twelve, etc.

Continuing from that point, I genuinely enjoyed School Days, though I wouldn't say I loved it. It was a fun anime that started mellow and grew into a drama, though I agree that many points of it were overplayed and overexaggerated, and ended with quite a bang.
Old 2008-02-25, 01:44   Link #17
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Kissdum, even if the production values were off, i liked the story, and it was fun to watch in general

Macross 7 also, take out hte bad reuse of scenes, and the general protodeviln, and you got a sick story about a rocker who likes to fly around in mecha and play hard rock songs
Old 2008-02-25, 01:47   Link #18
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Though I know that I shouldn't further discuss this, it's not really relevant to Kimibou as much, and won't invoke flaming to an extreme extent.

The ending of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien isn't as central to the series, especially since the main topic regarding the ending is Haruka (not Haruhi) vs. Mitsuki.
It's easy to take either side, but it's the same with some true harem anime, like Shuffle!, Ichigo 100%, and probably not many more, since the choice isn't obvious from the first couple of episodes.
School Days ending was the most controversial topic of the series, and is inarguably the most memorable part of the series, while Kimi ga Nozomu Eien had several other parts to be considered, episode two, Mitsuki's shenanigans, episode twelve, etc.
Spoiler for Kimi ga Nozomu Eien:

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-02-25 at 02:20.
Old 2008-02-25, 02:13   Link #19
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Spoiler for Kimi ga Nozomu Eien:
Witty.
When I said "ending", I was mostly referring to Takayuki's choice (since that's what I presumed you were referring to, since you were making a comparison to School Days), not the actual ending, persay.
Spoiler for KGNE:
I may have taken it too far, though.
Old 2008-02-25, 02:31   Link #20
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I knew exactly what you were referring to, but I thought I just wanted to make that quick point about the ending. The ending was what swayed me, but it unfortunately did not sway others. I never thought that the ending was whether Haruhi or Mitsubishi won, but for me, it was Akagi reading Haruhi's story and winning mahjong championships, and of course, Mitsubishi crying, Teriyaki smiling at the book, and Shinichirō with his girlfriend.

*scrolls up to remind himself what the original discussion was*

Oh yes, we were discussing the ending, not the ending. I still find it similar to School Days' ending though. Although KgNE's ending wasn't central to the story (as you and I agreed above), I still think it was the point that swayed people on whether or not they liked it or not, because of the betrayal themes and childhood promises and whatnot. It's kinda interesting how Akagi reads a story in both the ending and the ending, which is really cool now that I think about it.

Oh and of course I gave School Days a 6/10, which is above average, a good score for my scale.

Who needs spoiler tags, right?
Closed Thread