AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 12:50   Link #1
Angelic
Feel the Beat

Anyway to increase quality?

Hi, for years I have always just downloaded CCCP, and viewed anime on all default settings. I am a 3D modeling major and have a very very good computer, so I never thought of considering to modify my settings.

I would like some advice or help or a guide that lets me know what options I have.
I do not expect much but even if it makes my anime look a bit better it will suffice.

Without getting into details, I have a Quad Core OC, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 9800GTX+ and Soundcard (which I always forget).

thanks!

edit::

also! I have never had any problems playing any filetype or any resolution or any ratio or anything at all.
always smooth and top frames (I assume&)
Old 2009-03-30, 06:54   Link #2
Craymel

filtering doesn't really help at all with video quality so don't bother with that. I don't think there's really any reward worth changing you're settings for. Just keep 'em on default.
Old 2009-03-30, 07:09   Link #3
emptyeighty

You shouldn't mess with CCCP defaults much.

From your amount of RAM i assume you're on Vista, so one thing you should try is setting your video renderer to Haali's. The CCCP default (VMR7) is not optimal, but necessary for compatibility reasons.
Old 2009-03-31, 02:57   Link #4
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

If the quality sucks, blame the fansubbers. There's not much you can do about it unless you have a very specific problem you're trying to deal with (e.g. blocking), and even then you can only deal with it on a case-by-case basis.
Old 2009-03-31, 06:08   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
If the quality sucks, blame the fansubbers.
We blame the Japanese.

As DS said, usually it's case-by-case. I had some presets set-up when I was still on Windows to deal with some common noise/annoyoances that wasn't/weren't cleaned up properly, but since you have to use a solution fast enough for real-time playback then you don't have that much freedom of choice.

For example, to deal with haloing and noise around edges I just had an aWarpSharp filter and some other stuff. HQDN3D can also do wonders on noisy, providing you don't use overkill settings or something.
Old 2009-03-31, 15:20   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
If the quality sucks, blame the fansubbers.
FIXED

Quote:
If the quality sucks, blame the RAW provider.
anywayz back on topic =P if the quality of a video sucks then it is not possible to improve it, there are ways to improve/remove bad quality parts but like you've added it would require filters and in some cases completely different programs, really if it is nice quality don't screw around with your cccp =P if it is bad, get another one lol
Old 2009-03-31, 15:23   Link #7
Sides

The only way you can increase the quality visually is, use a phyically smaller screen. Try a 14" crt or a 11" OLED screen.
Old 2009-04-01, 18:28   Link #8
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
The only way you can increase the quality visually is, use a phyically smaller screen. Try a 14" crt or a 11" OLED screen.
i dont think ill be cashing in my 26'' monitor anytime soon...
Old 2009-04-02, 17:45   Link #9
Justin Kim
*Artist

They already have OLED screens out for sale? What the heck, I thought Sony said those were only prototypes that were shown for display at some convention. Weren't they supposed to make them conventional by reducing price costs before they were released. But yes, that is a solution to the problem as well. Although, I have never seen an OLED computer screen, all I know is that the resolution is 1,000,000 to 1. Far better than HDTV or Blu-Ray.
Old 2009-04-04, 10:05   Link #10
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
They already have OLED screens out for sale? What the heck, I thought Sony said those were only prototypes that were shown for display at some convention. Weren't they supposed to make them conventional by reducing price costs before they were released. But yes, that is a solution to the problem as well. Although, I have never seen an OLED computer screen, all I know is that the resolution is 1,000,000 to 1. Far better than HDTV or Blu-Ray.
That's contrast ration and an estimate but yes it will achieve better colours and contrast then any screen on the market. They are not ready for the market however, because they last only 10% as long as current lcd screens on the market.
Old 2009-04-11, 10:41   Link #11
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craymel View Post
That's contrast ration and an estimate but yes it will achieve better colours and contrast then any screen on the market. They are not ready for the market however, because they last only 10% as long as current lcd screens on the market.
From what I remember reading awhile back lifetime was only one of the problems (allbeit a major one), and one company had come up with an idea to supposedly make them last longer then LCDs do now. Plus, I think currently they are rated at about a 5year lifespan (8 hours a day) which isn't that great but isn't that bad either. Also I think Sony is already doing test marketing in various places, even with the lower lifetime. So they may not be totally ready for market yet, but they are close. Sure in the future they'll be better, but thats the way any technology is.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2009-04-17, 08:42   Link #12
Angelic
Feel the Beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craymel View Post
I have a 10,000:1 contrast monitor that has been serving me wonders for a while now!

thanks to all the responses.