Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-27, 09:27   Link #1321
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
Wait: A DVD with Japanese dub but no subtitles for them? Isn't that kinda useless for most of those who buy the dvd and want to watch it with the Japanese dub?
The publisher said more or less that they created the German dub for the people who can't understand Japanese .
Old 2010-03-28, 17:17   Link #1322
ViewtifulAlchemist

What's the manga version about? Same storyline but possibly goes into more detail or a different vision all together?
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 15:06   Link #1323
ghost_zero5

@TMSIDR:
As I am from Austria: Who was the publisher? I am asking because normally every publisher (who publishes Anime in Germany/Austria) I know, knows that there are enough who watch Anime in Japanese with subtitles.

Regarding "save money": I doubt that you can save much money by not including subtitles, especially since you already have a dub - in the worst case scenario you could just write down the dub and include it as subtitles; though with subtitles you could be more precise to the correct meaning than with the dub but as said "the worst case" scenario.

Let's hope they will release the second DVD with subtitles and maybe re-release the first one.
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 15:21   Link #1324
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_zero5 View Post
@TMSIDR:
As I am from Austria: Who was the publisher? I am asking because normally every publisher (who publishes Anime in Germany/Austria) I know, knows that there are enough who watch Anime in Japanese with subtitles.

Regarding "save money": I doubt that you can save much money by not including subtitles, especially since you already have a dub - in the worst case scenario you could just write down the dub and include it as subtitles; though with subtitles you could be more precise to the correct meaning than with the dub but as said "the worst case" scenario.

Let's hope they will release the second DVD with subtitles and maybe re-release the first one.
It is released by Universum Anime who already released some series before (every one had subtitles). They should know better....
Old 2010-04-28, 16:20   Link #1325
Nyat

How old is Canaan (character)?
Nyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 16:57   Link #1326
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I don't think it was mentioned. Not even in the official fanbook. I assume she's in her late teens/early to middle 20s.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 13:43   Link #1327
ghost_zero5

One more question regarding the visual novel: Does anyone know if it uses Kanji or only Hiragana and Katakana?
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 16:29   Link #1328
darkmaster074
------

Did the Canaan movies ever happen?
darkmaster074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 03:54   Link #1329
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

No idea. No info's out regarding it. IIRC, it's just compiling the series into a straight show.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2010-07-11, 06:55   Link #1330
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
My two cents ..

Hello everyone ..

I've just read in another thread that Canaan was made by the same poeple who did Fate/Stay Night - definitely one of the best made action animes out there. Which now explains the seriousness and potential I sensed in some of it's elements.

How do I put this .. I thought the serious sides in the story were SO good. at some points one can very clearly sense the depth and richness in those elementts. AND THEN, they were even better executed in the anime (in terms of art, directing, fight quality, character design, setting, and all that technical stuff). However .. and it's a stressed however .. For two reasons, Canaan didn't end up coming off quite as "artistic", if you will, as it should have, and simply came off a run-of-the-mill high budget action anime;

1- The curse of the number-of-episodes limitation, that has cripled so many pieces of work that originally had so much potential.

2- And more importantly, focusing on the wrong elements of the story.
Spoiler for Canaan:
all are parts/elements/sides of the story that added the fare amount of richness and depth I felt in this show. Had they focused on these elements, instead of the cute journalist girl, and the photographer guy (or was it the other way around?) Canaan would've even surpassed Phantom.

Nevertheless, I have thoroughly enjoyed the show
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 00:39   Link #1331
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

All righty folks! It's licensed for North America.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...kimikiss-anime

It's going to be out in DVD and Blu-Ray with English dub and Japanese with subtitles.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...-october-slate

Old 2010-07-23, 17:24   Link #1332
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

It's going to be out in DVD and Blu-Ray with English dub and Japanese with subtitles.
YES! Finally, I will dish out money to get anime, because it's subbed instead of just dub.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 00:11   Link #1333
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
YES! Finally, I will dish out money to get anime, because it's subbed instead of just dub.
Outside of the rare few shows, almost anything with a dub has a sub as well. It's the other way that you have to worry about lately.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 00:50   Link #1334
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Outside of the rare few shows, almost anything with a dub has a sub as well. It's the other way that you have to worry about lately.
Oh really? *time to dish out money*

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 11:52   Link #1335
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buleria View Post
I've heard bad things about the ending, but now I know not to get my hopes up XD Even if it turns out too unreasonable, I'll be glad I saw something new.
The ending isn't horrible, it just doesn't live up to the rest of the series and leaves you expecting more after the credits or whatever.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 02:49   Link #1336
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

I finally made my way to seeing this series after so many months on hold. The ending I found was weak. Wasn't expecting much from the beginning of this series but it was sure entertaining. I can now see why so many of you think Canaan features one of the best taxi driver ever. Hilarious!
SkyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 17:39   Link #1337
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...s.php?id=17718

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...s.php?id=17717

Got links on the CANAAN DVD and Blu-Ray version coming next month. And yeah, it's the entire series. Mighty Media in Taiwan's doing the same thing with a DVD Box set.

Old 2010-11-13, 14:59   Link #1338
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW

Yet another chicks with guns anime. That means a lot of chicks, a lot of guns and not a lot of story in between of those two.

This is the case here as well, seeing how the story is the most overlooked part of all sections. If you haven’t played the game you will most likely be confused with what is going on in the adaptation. The actual story is also nothing original; just the usual fuss around a deadly virus and shadow governments using it for the creation of supermen, world domination, and having a super gunner chick stomping their plans. The ending is also not solid as you clearly see there is room for more plot. The only good part in all this mess is the pacing, which is just 13 episodes of fast action and lots of silly moments, making it hard to be tiresome while watching. Thus, the story has bad unfolding, average scenario, open ending, but good pacing. One good out of four, translates to a lame 3.

Enough with that, let’s move to the characters. They definitely are not original. They are easily defined stereotypes found in most such works and thus not memorable in the long run. Plus, in many cases they are shown naked or cosplaying in an attempt to make them attractive to the viewer. They are definitely used as otaku culture material, which depending on your tastes may be good or may be bad. Bad for me. Most of the times they are all comical, making it very hard to find the whole world threat of the virus threatening or something serious in general. The good part is that all major characters are seen as pairs, one working with another to fill each others’ disadvantages. That makes their interaction interesting, albeit never serious or original. The whole deal is Canaan the lead girl seeking revenge from rival, who is part of a conspiracy to spread a virus, which creates supermen, which is investigated by Maria a female reporter, who is a friend with the lead girl. Plus there is YunYun, a comic relief Chinese girl popping all the time in random places just for the heck of it. And mentioning anything else is a waste of virtual ink as that is all there is to it. The interactions amongst them are as I said very interesting but the whole thing is taken way too light to mean anything. Thus, the cast is not memorable, otaku cultured, too silly to care about, but with great interaction to one another. One good out of four, translates to a lame 3.

At least the external looks of the anime are marvelous and you will not be disappointed in this department. The amount of details and colors given to the artwork are marvelous. The Chinese festival of the early episodes in particular is a scene worth remembering for a lifetime. The action scenes lack overall realism as they usually do in such types of shows but to the most parts they are extremely entertaining. The baddies are not complete dumb arses all the time and some require special handling as they use superpowers that make conventional means ineffective. Still, despite there are basic strategies and field tactics used, you still feel it’s like “one kills a thousand in open field with a water pistol” in overall, making the action cool but not serious. I mean, as much cool as the shooting battle was in the first episodes, you still find it ridiculous how no bystanders are ever hit or how they keep cheering or standing still when people are dropping next to them covered in blood. And those scenes with women being naked or dressed as cats in improbable places; that can hit you as either fascinating or ridiculous. But in all I have no worries about the animation besides the realism part, so I give it an 8.

The overall soundtrack is also ok, good dynamic songs to fit in the frenzy action and humorous characters. Still, no memorable songs amongst the BGM, and as I said the characters talk mostly comical in a setting that is not really a comedy. Kinda hit or miss to mix with one another. Not bad but not great either, so sound gets a 7.

The battle scenes are definitely worth watching again if you fancy such type of action. Other than that, the story or the dialogues or the in-betweens are nothing much to care giving a second chance. Replay value is around 4.

In the end, the only thing I really liked was the artwork and the battles. All the rest have been done much better elsewhere, making this anime not worth recommending if you have seen the titles bellow. Enjoyment gets 5.

SUGGESTION LIST
Live action movies: Nikita, Leon
Anime series with assassins: Gunslinger Girls, Gungrave, Darker Than Black.
Anime series with chicks and guns: Madlax, Noir, El Cazador de la Bruja, Black Lagoon.

Average: 5/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 04:30   Link #1339
Ohara

Some people say the sound has a 10 dB drop in the American discs, but is that true?
The video is also on 1440x1080?
Ohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-22, 17:27   Link #1340
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Don't know. Maybe I'll go and get a copy myself.

After the post office strikes are over...

Tags
animage, type moon