AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-02, 19:43   Link #1
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Oversused cliché in American movies

I red the thread about overused cliché in anime and there was some who respond that american movie too got cliché. So this is the place to talk about that.

1- in action movies, the hero always seem to not get shot eve if 100 person shoot at him, but the hero can shot just one time and he never miss.

2- Always a couple of survivor in horror apocalyptic movies (others too if i think about it). Never you will see a guy/girl ending alone. If the guy/girl is divorced he will get a new girl/guy. If the guy/girl is single in the movie he will find a girl/guy.

3- there is always a stupid black guy who says stupid thing in comedy or one that dies in horror/action movies. when he dies they don't stop the same amonth of time crying for him that they do on a white one. This situation apply too on people that don't fit in the american standar ( fat people, other race then white, gays even if it's not that obvius that he/she is gay,etc)

4- american always seems to be the number one country and they always win and have other country being grateful blah blah blah. maybe they think that movie is a touristic ad?

5-Always an happy endind.

Can't think of more for the moment.
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 19:56   Link #2
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Please give examples for 3 and 4
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:28   Link #3
Necrodeath

For 3, Not Another Teen Movie...
For 4, no idea...

And it's not always that way...
Movies have sad endings...(or unhappy, there's a difference)
Jeepers Creepers for instance...not exactly a "happy" ending, getting your eyes eaten out of your skull...
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:32   Link #4
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
This thread is pretty stupid because points 1,2,4, and 5 can be applied to movies from any country.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:40   Link #5
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
What about the cliche in every horror flick. The dumb Bimbo running from monster/slasher in high heels. She always trips falls and gets eaten/slashed..........Just thought I would point that out................
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:42   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I think the most over used cliches in any type of movies has to be the infamous "Rules of horror movies."

Everybody knows them, they're the most pointless and inane cliches that happen in ever single movie of the genre. Alone by yourself in the dark? You're dead. A momentary romantic scene with a couple by themselves? They're both dead... Yeah, those have to be the single most over used cliches.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:45   Link #7
aahhsin

nah I love this one.

The ultimate ugliest nerd has a crush on this hot ass chick whose boyfriend is the highschool football (American Football, not Futball) star.

This same nerd, whose extremely ugly, has zero confidence, studders when he talks, says stupid shit, the nice guy, get's picked on etc.

Not only Steals the other Guys GF (What the fuck is up with that? You don't steal other guy's girls)

but is actually the ultimate pimp.

What kind of girl want's some ugly, no confidence, poor, nice guy? Apparently girls love these guys, and yet never go for them in real life.

Man I hate chick Flicks.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 20:58   Link #8
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Quote:
4- american always seems to be the number one country and they always win and have other country being grateful blah blah blah. maybe they think that movie is a touristic ad?
Are you fkin serious? This is'nt even a funny joke.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 21:28   Link #9
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills
This thread is pretty stupid because points 1,2,4, and 5 can be applied to movies from any country.
I agree. I don't think those are particularly american clichés at all. Many countries do that too.

Some american ones might be...

1. In order to make it big, you need to move to New York City.

2. People from the country have missing teeth and sleep with their cousins, and/or are sexual deviants.

3. Everyone from the South wishes the Confederates had won the Civil War.

4. Shutting down a corporation and putting thousands out of work is better than letting them tear down a historic landmark or relocate some wildlife.

There are tons more.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 21:55   Link #10
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Lol this Pogo guy is kind of unclear in his speach but he's quite right I'm afraid.. I've studied in movie in cegep (Before University elsewhere than US in the world) and I lurned about the american movies recipe. How can I explain this..its the way a story is told.
1- In the beginning you get to know about the hero and the main characters
2- A plote/situation where people have to react to something.
3- Something like the main action.. powpow lots of guys dies.. whatever. ^^
4- Number three takes you to the unravel of the plote.(usualy good guy against the bad guy so you get the main idea.)
5- Most of the time an happy ending and the end of the story/plote.
This is if I remember well the recipe hollywood came with a long time ago and is now used in a lot of other country's cinema. I don't think its a bad pattern its just overused like Pogo-something said. Its the best for simple entertainment for sure.
Old 2004-08-02, 22:21   Link #11
nooc

Quote:
This is if I remember well the recipe hollywood came with a long time ago and is now used in a lot of other country's cinema. I don't think its a bad pattern its just overused like Pogo-something said. Its the best for simple entertainment for sure.
Well.. Having seen a lot of movies, it's kind of disturbin to watch a movie when it is built upon the too obvious text-book pattern. They really need to get out of the ever repearing loop of never changing patterns.
Don't you guys think recent movies have been getting kind of crappy?
nooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 22:59   Link #12
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Well I don't know if this is cliche for american movies, but in American TV shows I seen this patern alot. ^^

Usually when you have a drama series with more than 1 couple, in the course of the series they will switch partners, and pretty much try every combination couple the producer can think of. Or introduce new character and switch more partners. ^^;;

series come to mind: Dawson Creek, Friends, and other soap operas.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 00:05   Link #13
Entropy
Flame warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar

1. In order to make it big, you need to move to New York City.
I always thought that this was a bit odd,what with the slump in the city over the past few decades,and 9/11 to compound all that.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 00:14   Link #14
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy
I always thought that this was a bit odd,what with the slump in the city over the past few decades,and 9/11 to compound all that.
That is because the people who make movies and TV shows have the tendency to think that only the east cost (aka New York) and the west coast (aka LA) are the only parts of the U.S. that have any value, for the rest they use the term "fly over". Because that's what they think of the rest of the country; just something you have to fly over to get from one coast to the other.

Take for example their great knowledge of the mid-west, as in the movie "Presumed Innocent", where the lead character lived in Racine Wisconsin and worked in Detroit Michigan and took the ferry to work and back everyday. A nice trick but kind of a long ride.

Last edited by Sakaki; 2004-08-03 at 01:21.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 01:29   Link #15
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Heh, that's how i think of the midwest and everywhere between the coasts .....even though I know better.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 02:10   Link #16
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooc
Don't you guys think recent movies have been getting kind of crappy?
Eberts review of The Village, had to be, by far the best review of anything I have ever read.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...07/073006.html

Last 2 paragraphs = gold.

And I all I gotta is Aliens vs. Predator is rated PG-13.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 02:18   Link #17
Entropy
Flame warrior

I heard the Bourne Series(Identity and Supremacy) is pretty good.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 07:51   Link #18
Ending

a) If aliens attack, Russia starts to nuke the world, terrorism threatens, or an evil scientist has a doomsday machine, it's always the americans that will save the world. If there are other nations involved, they usually screw up or are ignored almost completely until the victory celebrations (for the honor of the "brave" yankees ). For example: Independence Day or any other movie with aliens.

(Well, it's Hollywood that is the only one making sci-fi movies/series... )

b) Same as in 1, but: The hero usually looks like Arnold S. with muscles piled on muscles, usually with some overly impressive background in military/secret service/special forces, or possibly in them all. Also, if the hero gets actually shot in some point, it is either a flesh-wound or bounces off from a hidden, metallic object. Usually in the end the hero or his woman (there is always a woman, of course) gets captured by his nemesis, who talks all his evil plans out after which he gets promptly killed. Speaking about stupid. (Rambo, James Bond, The Rock, Last Action Hero, and probably a million more.)

c) If two cars meet, or there is a drop of gasoline, there will be a huge explosion. However, if there are people inside the 10 m radius of the explosion, they all dodge down and are unharmed. Every serie with cars uses this effect.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 09:17   Link #19
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
c) If two cars meet, or there is a drop of gasoline, there will be a huge explosion. However, if there are people inside the 10 m radius of the explosion, they all dodge down and are unharmed. Every serie with cars uses this effect.
And it's a proven fact that simply driving off a cliff will cause a car to explode while it is still in the air.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 09:50   Link #20
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
5-Always an happy endind.
No no no no no. Not "always". Most of the time, not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Please give examples for 3 and 4
Well, the first thing that comes to my head for #3 just came out a couple of months ago: Day After Tomorrow. In Day After Tomorrow, there's this black policeman that decides to shrug off all that meteorological mumbo-jumbo and brings a bunch of people with him to head south from New York City after it freezes over.

In a scene later on, I mistakenly said out loud: "Oh come on, did they really have to show the policeman frozen with his jaw dropped?"

I don't know WHAT Yogo_Pogo is talking about for #4, though.

My favorite movie clichés:

1. Exploding cars. Unless someone lights the gas tank before the car hits the ground, it's almost impossible for a car to explode (unless it's a Pinto).

2. Mac10s. Notice how so many bad guys and good guys use Mac10s, or Uzis, in movies? If they fired them as much as they did, their hands would pretty much burn off.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote