AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-22, 07:43   Link #1
james0246

One Piece - Chapter 678 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Apparently confirmed spoilers have been released, and since Marvel is out for a little bit...

Quote:
-Caribou continues his adventures in the new World.

-The rest of the Strawhats get inside the building in time. The Marines attempt to apprehend them, till Law tells Smoker to leave them alone. Brook, meanwhile, releases his spirit to observe Slimy. Law switches Sanji and Nami back to their original bodies.

-Law tells the Strawhats that there is a way out of the building that doesn’t require them to breath any air from outside, but they have a 2 hour time frame before even that route fails and they all die (from the slime and or poisonous air).

-While everyone starts splitting up looking for the kids, Luffy decides to go off and kidnap Caesar. Smoker, meanwhile, say she will deal with Vergo.

-Luffy uses a new move (Gomu Gomu UFO) to take out all of the Punk Hazard army in one hit…
Old 2012-08-22, 08:33   Link #2
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Ha, Brownbeard was happy he was recognized! Typical how Sanji is disappointed he's back in his own body.

Interesting, so Luffy can fly now? (sort of)
Old 2012-08-22, 08:46   Link #3
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
^I suppose it's more like gliding down softly. At least I hope so. Good chapter, I have to say, although I'm kind of worried about Smoker. What's weird is that normally around this point in an arc, we've seen many different villains and start guessing who's going to fight whom. But here on Punk Hazard, there's really only Ceasar, Vergo and the harpy lady. I wonder what's going to happen next.
Old 2012-08-22, 08:47   Link #4
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Ha, Brownbeard was happy he was recognized! Typical how Sanji is disappointed he's back in his own body.

Interesting, so Luffy can fly now? (sort of)
He could always fly ( Sort of) and now he can fly a bit more accurately ( Sort of) .

P.S. His original flying method ( Gomu Gomu no Fuzen) got an upgrade in this chapter .
Old 2012-08-22, 08:58   Link #5
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Sanji's dream is over....

Zoro is worried about Luffy... aww... ^^

Gomu gomu no UFO is hilarous
Old 2012-08-22, 08:58   Link #6
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Gum Gum UFO huh? Imagine how fast Luffy has to spin his legs in that propeller motion to keep his body afloat.

It's looking like we're finally hitting the climax of this arc. I imagine the only major battles this chapter now will be Luffy vs Caesar and Smoker vs Vergo. The rest of the cast should be rounding up the kids and get to the escape area as fast as possible in the meantime.

Wonder what Law plans on doing once the 2 hours are up...
Old 2012-08-22, 09:36   Link #7
marvelB

So yeah, like I told James, I couldn't make the new thread on time due to my computer being on the fritz (HOPEFULLY I can get it fixed before the next spoilers are out, though. Anyways, before I comment on the chapter, let me just get something out of my chest first:

SEE GREY!? EVEN FREAKING ZORO CONFIRMED WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU ALL ALONG! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY TO THAT, EH!?

....phew. Okay, now that I've gotten THAT out of the way....

This was a fun chapter IMO, even if not that much happened. I really like how Brooke's soul extraction can be used for reconnaissance duties. It'll definitely come in handy for future adventures. I also see that there's basically a 2-hour time limit to beat Caesar and Vergo. Somehow, I kinda have my doubts about Smoker beating Vergo, but who knows how much more skilled he may have gotten since the timeskip. I still sort of feel that Luffy or Law will be the one to eventually take down the dark VA, though.

Heh, nice to see Nami and Sanji are finally switched back, too (though I'm sure the latter is gonna greatly miss being able to grope himself in his other body). I still wonder who the other two of the monster trio will fight, though.... we still haven't seen any other bosses appear so far. I can still sort of see the possibility of Vergo having brought powerful backup forces with him to PH, but we haven't really gotten any indication that he came to the island with anyone else (though it wasn't really indicated that he arrived alone either, so it could still work out, I think). Oh, and Gomu Gomu UFO was awesome, too.

Anyways, I wonder where Jinbei is taking Caribou in the ministory? I sort of doubt that he'll be taking him to the prison in Neptune's palace (where he might easily escape), so maybe he'll keep him in his custody from now on? I can sort of see this leading to Caribou being involved once again with Luffy's eventual conflict with Big Mom, after all....
Old 2012-08-22, 09:36   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

As expected, Sanji was the only person not happy with going back to his body. I'm sure there was a lot more he wanted to do with Nami's body.

Zoro warns Luffy to take it seriously and the first thing he does is that goofy attack. Typical Luffy
Old 2012-08-22, 09:45   Link #9
james0246

Best part of the chapter: Brownbeard's slight excitement and embarrassment over being recognized. A truly perfect tiny moment.
Old 2012-08-22, 09:58   Link #10
ronin myael
lost ronin

love luffy's new gomu gomu trick. leave it to oda to come up with a ridiculous yet creative move like that.

poor sanji!

at marvel: lol i'm sure grey would come up with a good counter to that. i'm looking forward to what he has to say.
Old 2012-08-22, 11:01   Link #11
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I predict Luffy gonna use that spinning move, to blow away the gas XD
Old 2012-08-22, 11:03   Link #12
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I loved how Zoro was all Yo Luffy, we gotta take this shit seriously, don't be reckless!

And Luffy was like Ok, right sure thing buddy UFO!! WOOOOT! IMMA FLYING SAUCER WHEEE! *recklessly dives in*

Oh Luffy.
If you actually heed anyone's words, you wouldn't be Luffy.
Old 2012-08-22, 12:28   Link #13
marvelB

^Still, even if that moment was half-gag, it's still good to see Zoro validate my whole "don't take the NW lightly" argument. At least HE wouldn't consider toppling an emperor to be a cakewalk.

And yeah, Brownbeard getting recognition from the marines was a great little moment indeed.
Old 2012-08-22, 13:18   Link #14
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Heh, nice to see Nami and Sanji are finally switched back, too (though I'm sure the latter is gonna greatly miss being able to grope himself in his other body). I still wonder who the other two of the monster trio will fight, though.... we still haven't seen any other bosses appear so far. I can still sort of see the possibility of Vergo having brought powerful backup forces with him to PH, but we haven't really gotten any indication that he came to the island with anyone else (though it wasn't really indicated that he arrived alone either, so it could still work out, I think). Oh, and Gomu Gomu UFO was awesome, too.
I'm glad that Law had finally switched back Nami and Sanji. I hope Nami gave Sanji a swollen face for his shenanigans.

With the Gomu Gomu UFO, I bet it's stronger than the Gomu Gomu Elephant Gun.
Old 2012-08-22, 13:59   Link #15
Divine Punisher

Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
Farewell Smoker, it has been fun.... No,I have to stay optimistic! Hes going to be fine. Sure, Vergo is a powerful opponent, but there is still so much to do, Smoker! Become an admiral! Acknowledging Tashigi! And perhaps quit smoking?
Yeea, itll all be ok. With his devil fruit powers and combat skills he is... OMG, HE HAS NO HEART!!!
Old 2012-08-22, 14:33   Link #16
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Punisher View Post
Farewell Smoker, it has been fun.... No,I have to stay optimistic! Hes going to be fine. Sure, Vergo is a powerful opponent, but there is still so much to do, Smoker! Become an admiral! Acknowledging Tashigi! And perhaps quit smoking?
Yeea, itll all be ok. With his devil fruit powers and combat skills he is... OMG, HE HAS NO HEART!!!
lol yea, i think this chapter was very foreboding for smoker's death. the only thing keeping him alive is the rarity of oda killing off characters.

instead of luffy vs CC i'd actually like to see someone else take him out. like usopp and/or franky for instance. or maybe all the strawhats BUT luffy and zoro. CC's power is so strange that it would be a better match to fight him at a distance and with smarts not brawn. plus, it would be nice to not have luffy always fight the big bad of the arc. since this is the new world, all the strawhats need to man up. not that they haven't, but that would be an even bigger improvement to take out someone like CC without luffy's help

a guy can dream...
Old 2012-08-22, 14:57   Link #17
marvelB

Oh and BTW, I'm still crossing my fingers for Brooke or Kinemon (or maybe even the both of them) to take on Smiley, provided he doesn't stay in his Shinokuni mode for the remainder of the arc.
Old 2012-08-22, 15:19   Link #18
Mateus

^
I wonder then if there's a chance that Smiley will eat the fruit again?
Old 2012-08-22, 15:29   Link #19
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
lol yea, i think this chapter was very foreboding for smoker's death. the only thing keeping him alive is the rarity of oda killing off characters.
Smoker's not going to die. If anything, this chapter is suggesting that Smoker is going to get payback (whether he himself does it or has assistance) for having been played like a fool by Vergo.
Old 2012-08-22, 15:52   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm fairly confident Smoker is going to win against Vergo, albeit it won't be an easy victory. Smoker has already suffered one defeat in this arc, I can't see him losing a second time. This is his chance to redeem himself.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion