AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shuffle!

Notices

View Poll Results: Rate the series (final rating)
Perfect 10 54 17.14%
9 out of 10 64 20.32%
8 out of 10 101 32.06%
7 out of 10 54 17.14%
6 out of 10 17 5.40%
5 out of 10 11 3.49%
4 out of 10 8 2.54%
3 out of 10 3 0.95%
2 out of 10 1 0.32%
1 out of 10 2 0.63%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-01-11, 16:02   Link #21
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Hmmm, since you're not fond of harem anime to begin with .... just for clarification, name a harem anime that you consider "best of class" please. And just for notes, I don't consider Mahoraba, Canvas 2, or Suzuka to be "harem", rather just romance fiction.
and Shuffle! isnt romance fiction?
Crimen Scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 16:12   Link #22
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimen Scythe
and Shuffle! isnt romance fiction?
Of course but it's still very different:

"Harem" means love from various sources towards an unique direction. (Asa-Primula-Kaede-Nerine-Sia ------> Rin)

"Romance" indicates either a mutual love between two sources (Aishiteruze Baby), either an unrequited love (Video Girl Ai), either a love triangle (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Suzuka), but all of these are way different from the concept of harem.
Old 2006-01-11, 17:36   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Pell beat me to it... but "harem" is a subclass of "romance fiction". You know.. an apple is a fruit but not all fruits are apples?
I didn't want him naming a good series that *really* wasn't a harem love romance. Even Mahoraba I term a "false" harem because
Spoiler:

Canvas 2 at its heart is a love triangle ...
Ai Yori Aoshi is just barely a harem, really a love triangle (Aoi and Tina x Kaoru).

Shuffle! is a smack center harem anime with 5 or so girls aiming right for the hero's heart (rather than him really pursuing them).
Old 2006-01-11, 18:09   Link #24
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, since we're talking about harem, I kinda liked Futakoi. Although the only girls that did display different personalities were the original twins (can't remember the name) and Sara/Shoujyu twins. The other twins were identical in each pair in terms of behaviour. But I found that the main character, while a bit flawed, was decent enough to SPOT an error when he makes one. Rin on the other hand is always oblivious to how his actions hurt people, along with AAALL his other "virtues". And even if I wasn't thrilled with Futakoi's ending, it was ok, a form of typical harem ending, but ok nonetheless. But Shuffle... bleh The writers should be glad I liked Sia, Kaede and Primula enough to keep watching it
Old 2006-01-11, 18:21   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Fut Alt's hero is one of the few anime leads I have almost no complaints about AND I like the fact the ending was most appropriate for that him and the twins (though the way it appeared to be ending for a while was powerful).
Old 2006-01-11, 18:24   Link #26
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

No, I wasn't talking about the Alt, just Futakoi, that Nozomu kid or whatshisname. He was a decent lead, but he had his flaws, too.

Futakoi Alt's Rentarou was not just good, he was TOO good. And F.A's ending was more to my liking than Futakoi's although I wanted a more rich, detailed ending, you know, like the one in Shuffle, but in Fut Alt's case, it would have been well made to the end and be justifiable in every aspect (and no crappy animation either ) .
Old 2006-01-11, 18:53   Link #27
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
i gave it 9 out 10 it was has made my list as one of my fav anime i love th charcters and the overall mood of the series i think the writers and the animators did a wonderful job it wasent your typical harem anime where the charcter cant make up his mind even at the end. i like the fact that the male lead made a decison i was a little let down by the ending but i did not hate it by any means. i love to see more but its over and life must move on
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 21:37   Link #28
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
I'm giving the series a 9/10 over all. I enjoyed quite a bit. However it's not without its problems. Such as the fact some of the story arcs felt a bit rushed. Like the Lisianthus one near the end. Or the fact the animation took a dive in the second half of 24. I guess my actual score like others is somewhere between 8 and 9, but in my case close to 9. Still I did enjoy the over al progression of the story despite that. Also for a character who is supposed to be spineless. At least Rin made an actual choice and was willing to do something drastic for the sake of a very stubborn girl. I like Asa a lot and she's my favorite, but given how stubborn she can be in a certain regard. I fully understand Rin's decision in 24. Even if it was insane.
Old 2006-01-11, 23:38   Link #29
Kuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Hmmm, since you're not fond of harem anime to begin with .... just for clarification, name a harem anime that you consider "best of class" please. And just for notes, I don't consider Mahoraba, Canvas 2, or Suzuka to be "harem", rather just romance fiction.
Love Hina, I could tolerate. Negima (the manga) was/is pretty good. Tenchi Muyo wasn't bad, either. Sister Princess, I REALLY liked.
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 00:06   Link #30
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I give it an 8, though really it's 7.5 rounded up. A very good romance show either lets you still feel for the couple even if that isn't exactly who you're rooting for (Kanon in my case), or makes you change the couple who you're rooting for (KGNE for me, countless times might I add), or just does a really good job in the 'feel good' department (Original To Heart). Shuffle failed for me in all three respects, which is odd because Shuffle is the only ero-based anime that i can recall in which I feel totally indifferent to the couple that 'won'.

Kaede and Nerine I can understand me feeling for them, as one is the childhood friend while the other is IMO the cutest girl in the show, but Sia as well? I think I would've enjoyed the show a lot more if they cut a little of Sia in the middle and put in a little bit more Asa, since no one can deny Sia had the most time in the show before the start of individual character arcs. If Asa had much more screen time in the beginning, rather than short snippets here and there, my score would be a lot higher. However, 3 out of 4 girls I can feel for? (Primula doesn't count, not much into lolicon XD) +2 points, since I rarely feel for girls other than the childhood friend.

However, Kaede arc was one of the most original and interesting (controversial even?) arcs I have seen in a while. Personal bias aside, no one can deny it generated the most discussion on Shuffle. Heck, it was so good it even made me doubt the Asa ending I was dreading, which I saw minor clues around eps 7 (was it?) and then I got dropped an anvil when I saw her encouragement being what gave Rin the courage to save Primula in her arc, which all but confirmed the ending to me. Keeping me guessing gives it a minimum of 4, but with Kaede's arc being so entertaining it's a 5.5 IMO.

For comparison's sake in recent seasons shows, I currently give Canvas 2 a 6.5. Sure it's still not done yet, and sure the couple I am rooting for seems to be winning (childhood friends to boot), but nothing so far is memorable. It's watchable and entertaining, but forgettable at the same time.

Suzuka on the other hand, I give maybe an 8.5, though it's still rising even when I only have watched the first 16 eps. At first, I couldn't get into the show, seeing as the title of the show is the name of one of the characters, which means it's pretty darn obvious who the guy is going to end up with (and not the one I was rooting for in the beginning). But after eps. 3, it doesn't matter knowing that. Remember the three criteria I mentioned in the beginning? So far, it's succeeding very well in all three, on top of the best lead character development I have seen in quite some time, something that is typical only of Shoujo manga/anime.

And since we're talking about it, I give Futakoi an 8. Very minor spoilers.
Spoiler:

The next season though I couldn't get much into, as it turned more into an action show more than anything. I get my dose of action in games, as action anime pales in comparison to that IMO. Thus, I can't give it much of a score.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 00:20   Link #31
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I'm giving it a 6. Shuffle is undeniably one of the better harem animes out there, but it doesn't mean much.

Animation-wise, it was decent at best. There were some inconsistencies here and there, and it does some skippy style-shuffling at certain parts. Not to mention it didn't have the similar appeal as the original art in the game. Plus the quality gap between Episode 0 and the series was just too......obvious.

Seiyuu-wise. I personally Nerine and Sia weren't the best of choices. Only 2, but they were major players in the anime. Plus, I can't get over the fact of Nerine's horrible singing in Episode 1.

I honestly thought that the plot pogression was somewhat weak. Several scenarios seemed forced and hastened, killing off the suspence and mystery of some of the girl's backstory. The most well executed was argubly Kaede's and I'm being generous.

Comedy failed to amuse me. I never laughed at any Shuffle comedy scenes at all. Then again, I'm a hard guy to amuse.

However, I won't deny that is is a good conversion from an ero game to anime. So, a 6 from me.

Though, personally, Shuffle deserves negative 10 for having too little of Primula.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 00:46   Link #32
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Gave it an 8, it's decent and I found it fun when I first found it. I would've given it a 7 for the ending but then again almost all of the endings in the anime that I have seen have never actually been that great to me. The show itself was great but seemed to have fallen in the last part so I chose to ignore that aspect and rate it as a whole.

Not to mention this is the first anime I've seen where the main guy doesn't end up with his childhood friend so it was a nice change.

Quote:
Though, personally, Shuffle deserves negative 10 for having too little of Primula.
Well that pretty much sums up your whole argument
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 01:00   Link #33
Vegeta666

9 out of 10.

If there was more romance between Rin and Asa then I could have forgotten about some of the flaws and given it a 10. Still a really good anime.
Vegeta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 01:36   Link #34
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Well, since we're talking about harem, I kinda liked Futakoi. Although the only girls that did display different personalities were the original twins (can't remember the name) and Sara/Shoujyu twins. The other twins were identical in each pair in terms of behaviour. But I found that the main character, while a bit flawed, was decent enough to SPOT an error when he makes one.
Oh.. very cool!
That's another of my favourite harem around. And since it's kinda belonging to the "buried anime" cathegory I'm quite happy when I hear of someone talking well of it.
Of course it wasn't "the masterpiece", but it was done very well, with that unbelievable *feel good* aura at every end of episode. And those set of twins were so kawaii (my favourite were Kaoruko and Sumireiko ^^ ) . It even scored 9.2/10 in my book.

Spoiler for Futakoi ending:

As for Suzuka, it was a 10/10 to me ^^ not that I'm so fond of spreading full tens all around (in fact I do have 4 anime out of an hundred with such a rating), but for the reasons I've explained in the specifical anime topic, it was fully deserved.

Shuffle, although stll quite good, couldn't compare with these ones, imho
Old 2006-01-12, 01:49   Link #35
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier
Oh.. very cool!
That's another of my favourite harem around. And since it's kinda belonging to the "buried anime" cathegory I'm quite happy when I hear of someone talking well of it.
Of course it wasn't "the masterpiece", but it was done very well, with that unbelievable *feel good* aura at every end of episode. And those set of twins were so kawaii (my favourite were Kaoruko and Sumireiko ^^ ) . It even scored 9.2/10 in my book.

Spoiler for Futakoi ending:

As for Suzuka, it was a 10/10 to me ^^ not that I'm so fond of spreading full tens all around (in fact I do have 4 anime out of an hundred with such a rating), but for the reasons I've explained in the specifical anime topic, it was fully deserved.

Shuffle, although stll quite good, couldn't compare with these ones, imho
Must download Suzuka then Since we agree on Futakoi, maybe I'll like Suzuka And Futakoi had just 13 episodes and still managed to be decent and fun to watch, and had decent character development. Shuffle had a whole 24 episode season and yet the writers more or less screwed up
Old 2006-01-12, 02:02   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro
Love Hina, I could tolerate. Negima (the manga) was/is pretty good. Tenchi Muyo wasn't bad, either. Sister Princess, I REALLY liked.
I'm really liking Negima the manga .... the anime kind of made me angry over what they *COULD* have done and mangled instead. I'll have to check out Sister Princess ... Tenchi I liked bits of but it was a bit noisy for me. Love Hina.... classic for its time but all I can watch anymore are the Motoko eps and the "beach play" ep.... prefer the manga. We're not tooooo far off page from each other it seems
Old 2006-01-12, 03:00   Link #37
LilleNisse

To be honest... I did give it a 10/10. I just really loved it. I remember when I had downloaded the first sub that came out when shuffle came, and I just went "ohh, now this is somthing im gona like". I remember the first Asa scen. Love in first sight, but that changed after seeing Sia, and after that, Ama .

Right after the first episode I got hooked on it. Had a hard time trying to survive untill the next sub. I longed for Shuffle all week long. Just to see thos girls and the story go on. This is defenetly one of my favorit series. And yes, ive seen more then 5 series
( MyStats
MyList
animes: 178
eps: 3758
files: 3786
watched: 3786 (100%)
anidb in mylist: 8%
anidb watched: 8% )
Yes, I just had to post it for fun

But what did make me love shuffle so much? Probobly since I find all the girls cute, and thats one of the things that makes me watch harem series. I love cute girls, and ecchi (but no hentai! ).
And I found the story to be really good. I loved all the episodes. Nothing in the series bored me. I loved the side characters. (Hanki-man = pervert god)

I found the way the girls were drawn nice also. I dont really agree with that they were drawn badly. Sure lacked alittle compaired to some of the episodes but I stil loved it and I cant take it down in grade for somthing I really didnt mind

Thats all I had to say, now, curse me all you 1-9/10 voters!
LilleNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 03:36   Link #38
Wrath88
Kissing...

I'm giving Shuffle! an 8 out of 10 as well. There were some bad parts to it, like the sudden loss of drama between Kaede and Asa, but on the overall, it was a good anime. Addition of H-man and the defence forces gave it quite a lot of humour, and I really liked that.
Old 2006-01-12, 05:56   Link #39
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
i'm giving perfect, why?
Played the game, nicely done.
watched the anime, ok i understand more.
looked at manga, omfg its going on and on.
Perfect, this anime via manga via game's going to last me my life time.
SnakeLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-12, 12:06   Link #40
evil-samurai

Hmm.... not going to rate the show dont know what to give it but wouldn't give a 10 nor a 1 but for what its worth the Good Parts of Shuffle. (below) I would rate shuffle as one of the more addictive Shows I've watched even if people watched the show for only one reason, it kepts you there for that. Anyway....
Spoiler for list:
Basically when Shuffle was Good and Addictive is was among the the best, but when it was Bad it could be horrible! to watch. But overall guess it would be somewhere like 5-8. I watch and enjoyed parts of Shuffle to the very end, but there was usually always sometime wrong with the show.

@ Crimen Scythe Nope.

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-01-12 at 12:39.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote