AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-09-25, 10:04   Link #1
theshadowtaker

Subs not working in VirtualDub

Hi, it's me again. I seem to have gotten videos to work in Virtual dub but I when I try to load subtitles they won't appear. I play the input and output file (before/after) still no subtitle. What could be causing this problem? VSFilter.vdf not working?
theshadowtaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 15:29   Link #2
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Probably not using it correctly. Try using TextSub (VSFilter.dll) in Avisynth instead.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 16:18   Link #3
theshadowtaker

how do I do that?? I'm pretty sure I was using it correctly. Make a subtitle in aegisub then go to video, then filter, textsub, pick the sub. press okay. view preview, both panes show video. No pane shows sub.
Old 2007-09-25, 16:25   Link #4
Harukalover
In exile

Do it in Avisynth instead.

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Location_of_VSFilter\VSFilter.dll")
AviSource("C:\foo.avi")
TextSub("C:\bar.ass")
Save as name.avs then load it in Virtualdub. Then use Fast Recompress instead of Full Processing (no colorspace conversions in vdub then, one still happens in avisynth though)
Old 2007-09-26, 18:59   Link #5
SilverMoon87

I just started using VirtualDub today.. if you're trying to see your subtitles with your video, try opening your video first then go to Video > Filters > Subtitler, and open the subtitle file.

If you do not have the subtitler plugin, search on google "sub station alpha subtitler". You need this plug-in to view the subtitles on Virtual Dub. After you have gotten it, save the subtitler plug-in in your VirtualDub plugins directory folder and follow the steps I instructed. To preview how your subs look. you can click on "Show preview" or go to configurations if the box doesn't pop up for you. You should be able to see it then. I'm not sure how you can see the subtitles in the main screen of VD, but when you save it as video file (AVI) the subtitles will be on there when you watch on your computer!

Hope that helps.. =)
SilverMoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 19:43   Link #6
jfs
Aegisub dev

You really don't want to use the Subtitler plugin. It's ages old and only supports the old SSA4 format, not the newer ASS format.

Do yourself a favour and use VSFilter (TextSub) - and make sure you're using 2.37, or rather one of the newer patched versions. This file, rename it to VSFilter.vdf and put it in your VirtualDub plugins folder.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 20:12   Link #7
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Not to mention using filters in VDub is an extra colorspace conversion to RGB and back that is unneeded for the video.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 20:17   Link #8
SilverMoon87

Okay, I took your advice and I added the TextSub to my Virtual Dub's plug-ins. How can I see my SSA subtitles? There's no preview. Is it supposed to work the same as Subtitlers? Sorry, I'm a newbie at this.
Old 2007-09-26, 21:47   Link #9
Skyward
Oblivious
*Fansubber

VirtualDub has 2 preview panes by default. If you expand your vdub window, you'll notice the second pane to the right of the first one. This displays the video after filters (subtitles in this case) have been applied.
Skyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 21:51   Link #10
SilverMoon87

Ah, I see that now! Thanks =)

So what's the difference between using Subtitler filter from TextSub?
Old 2007-09-26, 21:55   Link #11
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Like jfs mentioned, Subtitler is very old, and only supports the older format of the variants we use - the SSA. Textsub has full support for the advanced SSA, and it is still semi-actively supported. If you're learning the subbing business now, you might as well learn the good stuff.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 06:40   Link #12
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Not to mention using filters in VDub is an extra colorspace conversion to RGB and back that is unneeded for the video.
To re-iterate it: TextSub/VSFilter only works in RGB colourspace. Even if you feed it YUY2 or YV2 video it will internally convert the entire frame to RGB, render the subtitles on it and convert the frame back to the original colourspace.
Meaning that if you're going to apply more than one subtitle file to the video in Avisynth you'll be best off putting a ConvertToRGB before calling the first TextSub, and optionally ConvertToYV12 after applying all subtitles.
I also have an idea that VSFilter's colourspace conversion routines are of a lower quality than Avisynth's, but I've never tested it.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 09:36   Link #13
theshadowtaker

well I got TextSub working in VDub, but its weird. I just left my computer on without messing with it and it starts to work. Maybe its because I installed a newer VSFilter. I dunno. Anyway a new problem has arisen. ASS files work but they are all BLAAAAAAAAAAAAH. They are all white the shadow white, the text white, the foreground, background its all white. Even if I change the settings in my subtitling program when I load them in VDub they remain white, and I don't see a settings for TEXT for TextSub. So what do I do? .Sub files work and are comprehensable, .ass files are not.
Old 2007-09-27, 11:19   Link #14
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Those settings are determined by the style, the renderer does not override them. Open the .ass file in a suitable editor (say, Aegisub :P) and edit the style to your own leisure. Also, if you know what you're doing and don't mind the extra work and chance of messing up, you can do it in notepad.
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 11:39   Link #15
theshadowtaker

I did that, thats what I'm talking about it still comes out all blaaaaaaaaaaaah
Old 2007-09-27, 14:32   Link #16
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
A screen shot and some sample ass code may quicken resolution of that problem.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-27, 14:49   Link #17
theshadowtaker

cant provide that as of now i'm not at home.