AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-09-09, 02:51   Link #1
Mr.Inferno

Looking for more anime

Sorry to post a lot here but I love anime and I am an Animation Major in college. So I'm always looking for new anime/animation to watch for pleasure and research.

This time I'm looking for animes that are similar to Black Lagoon or cowboy bebop (alot of action with more realistic feeling to it)
Also looking for anime you consider the best.

I prefer it have some kind of romance, no BL but GL is fine. Also no reverse harem

Small list of what anime I've seen:

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Requiem for the phantom
Candidate for goddess
Witch hunter robin
Wolf's Rain
Saint Seiya
Sailor Moon
Yu yu hakusho
Black Lagoon
Black Cat
Rurouni Kenshin
Gundam Seed
Strain
El cadazor de la bruja
Blue gender
Mr.Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 02:59   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Try Miyazaki's works like Mononoke Hime, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away etc. They're pretty decent animes....and classic in the anime world... they are even multi awarded and world renown
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 06:11   Link #3
Mr.Inferno

I have, Hayao Miyazaki inspired me to study animation

I've seen spirited away, Kiki's delivery service, howl's moving castle, Princess monoke, my neighbor totoro, and nauscaa of the valley of the wind.

I will watch the rest of his movies when I can buy them or if my school buys them

Thank you
Old 2012-09-09, 06:46   Link #4
kitten320

Jormungand maybe?
Old 2012-09-09, 06:54   Link #5
Westlo
Lets be reality

Have you watched Hosada's works? Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, his Digimon and One Piece films?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 09:48   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Most of the shows that I would recommend for the quality of their animation are not action shows. But in that genre I'll start with Noein. Episode Twelve contains one of the most remarkably animated battle sequences I've seen in an anime made for television. Unfortunately all the online versions only include the atrocious English dub, but the characters don't speak much during this sequence. It begins at around the 8:00 mark.

Seirei no Moribito has a few excellent spear-fighting scenes, but it's not really an "action" show. It's largely a political and supernatural drama set in a fictitious Asian empire. The best-known action sequences occur at the beginning of episode three and at around 17:30 of episode twelve. Director Kamiyama Kenji has done some other well-respected shows like Eden of the East and GiTS:SAC.

In Claymore, beautiful blonde women undergo a surgical procedure that implants demon flesh in their bodies giving them the power to fight those demons. Claymore has an unsatisfying conclusion because the manga was still being written when the anime adaptation ended, but it tells a good story with strong characters. The "Teresa arc" which begins in episode five is especially powerful. Claymore has many fighting scenes scattered throughout the series and a color palette that matches the dreary setting of this story.

I'll also recommend Bakeneko, the third arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, and its sequel, the unlicensed Mononoke. The art style of these shows mixes classical Japanese painting techniques with a psychedelic look that reminded me of Yellow Submarine. All the shows appear to have been painted on parchment. There are five separate stories, each of which pits the main character, a travelling medicine seller, against a variety of demons. You can find these on YouTube, but the quality of uploads and streams don't do justice to the beauty of Nakamura Kenji's work. Nevetheless here is a brief clip to whet your appetite. A subtitled rip of the Japanese Blu-ray re-release of Mononoke resides on a well-known anime torrent site I cannot name here because it also contains licensed works. Nakamura has made three other shows for the noitaminA slot, all of which are visually distinctive.

Next, for pure visual and imaginative brilliance, you must watch Iso Matsuo's masterpiece Dennou Coil. In this original story, children live in a virtual reality world overlaid on the physical one and visible only with special glasses. There are some remarkably animated battles that take place in the cyber world, especially in episode four. Iso, like Noein's Akane, seems to have retired from the industry.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a deconstruction of the magical-girl genre with some spectacular animation by controversial director Shinbo Akiyuki. It dominated the discussion on places like this when it was released in early 2011. One of his other recent works, the manga adaptation Bakemonogatari, also has quite unique visuals.

Finally I'll suggest Baccano! which has some extensive, and quite bloody, fighting sequences and an intriguing, though convoluted story set in America during the Prohibition era.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-09 at 10:11.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:20   Link #7
Mr.Inferno

Thank you all

Westlo: I've seen Summer wars, I didnt really like it. I like the concept but the main character annoyed me. I'm a little biased since i hate the voice actor who voiced him, though I do beleive he matched the character well.

I want to see the girl who leapt through time but Haven't been able to find it online or in my school's library.

Seiji: I've seen Seirei no Moribito, it really is a good anime. I've even started reading the book, there are some good spear fighting scenes.

Ill check out the rest

kitten320: I've read the manga but never got around to watch the anime. I'll put it on my list.
Old 2012-09-10, 14:02   Link #8
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

You can try gantz if you don't mind gore. And maybe freezing...? Haha hope you find this really helpful
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 15:32   Link #9
Mr.Inferno

I read the first 2 volumes of gantz, I'll check out the anime version. It is helpful thank you
Old 2012-09-10, 16:20   Link #10
Eragon
Still Alive

Give Berserk a try.
Old 2012-09-10, 19:27   Link #11
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Give Eden of the East a shot. I'm sure you'll like it.
Old 2012-09-10, 20:13   Link #12
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you give Noir a shot if you're interested, if you haven't seen it that is.
Old 2012-09-10, 20:44   Link #13
Mr.Inferno

Thank you

Im currently watching noir (Netflix)

I've seen Eden of the east. I also watched the first movie

I'll try berserk, someone told me to read the manga.

I think I should explain further I'm looking for anime that are similar to the gundam series, cowboy bebop, black lagoon, etc.

Anime with more realistic themes like dealing with the death of a comrade or a lover/loved one, killing people, failing to protect someone, going to war, etc.
Old 2012-09-10, 21:34   Link #14
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Okay how about you give Kowarekake no Orgel and Black Rock Shooter (OAV) if you haven't seen them that is.
Old 2012-09-10, 21:52   Link #15
Mr.Inferno

I've never heard about Kowarekake no Orgel, what is it about?

I've seen a few characters from black rock shooter, but i don't know what its about either.

I'll check them out
Old 2012-09-10, 22:01   Link #16
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Inferno View Post
Thank you

Im currently watching noir (Netflix)

I've seen Eden of the east. I also watched the first movie

I'll try berserk, someone told me to read the manga.

I think I should explain further I'm looking for anime that are similar to the gundam series, cowboy bebop, black lagoon, etc.

Anime with more realistic themes like dealing with the death of a comrade or a lover/loved one, killing people, failing to protect someone, going to war, etc.
DO NOT READ BERSERK MANGA. Unless you want screw your brains No, seriously, I think the anime should be enough .
Old 2012-09-11, 09:47   Link #17
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Inferno View Post
Yeah gantz Is definitely your kind of anime haha
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 05:05   Link #18
Mr.Inferno

OK I won't read the manga I'll watch both berserk and gantz
Old 2012-09-13, 07:42   Link #19
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
If you want anime for research, then definitely watch the Ghibli films. Seeing as you've already watched my favorite Ghibli film Kiki's Delivery Service, I'll have to further recommend my next 3 favorite: Whisper of the Heart, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and Grave of the Fireflies.

My personal recommendations based on your listed themes are Tokyo Godfathers, Saikano, Gunslinger Girl, and Bokurano.

And if you somehow get your hands on these anime, go for Figure 17 and Flanders no Inu (1997).
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 23:16   Link #20
Mr.Inferno

Thank you kholdstare

I've seen castle in the sky, it was a great movie. I've heard grave of fireflies is extremely sad, but I'll check whisper of the heart out as well.

I loved the first season of gunslinger girl, I'll try to find Tokyo godfathers , saikano, and bokurano.

I've never heard of the two animes you mentioned, can you tell me about them?