AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-05-31, 04:57   Link #61
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
..........dude, where were you when you were watching the series? How many episodes were Katejina and Chronicle together? All the way from when she was "captured" by him to the very end of the series. That's about 4/5 of the series. What the heck do you mean "not enough interaction"?

And buddy, it's clear that she was doing it for Chronicle the whole way. Her feelings for him set her on the path of a mobiel suit pilot. From there, she built an ego, and when Shakyi and Usso clashed with her ego, she snapped.

Anyway, you asked for an explanation, I gave you one. You said yourself you didn't understand how it happened, so how do you think you can correctly explain and refute explanations given by other people?

I'm calling it quits now. I try to explain something to somebody who says he doesn't get it, then he pulls a 180 and starts saying I'm wrong when, again, he said himself he didn't get it.
No, your explanation simply made little sense in the context of the show, yeah they were together for most of the show, so? How many intmate secene was there between them? At the end what Katejina said implies she was using everyone, and some bs about power. Nothing up to that point implied that she was power hungery or a control freak and suddenly she goes all physco. Nor was there any evidence that she considered Uso looking down on her until ep 50, that just came out of no where.

I am not saying your interpretation as wrong, however, if Katejina was suppose to be seen in the light in which you suggest, her character has as many holes if not more so then Quess from CCA. I find that hard to believe in a 51 ep show.

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 04:24   Link #62
Bloodseeker

Victory Gundam general discussion thread *spoilers*

Episode 1

I like the OP.

He lost his first fight? And to a ninja, no less?

Ah, Katejina. Its too bad that I've already been spoiled about you. Doesn't seem to match how you're acting right now though... should be interesting to see how that change comes about.

He launched a jacket using a tree branch as a catapult and hit a jet? That's some broken aiming ability you've got there, Uso.

The head sticking up from the top of the jet looks kinda dumb.

Is that a haro?!

Out-performed by a first timer. That would be humiliating...

"Well, I have to wear a mask like this on Earth because I'm a ninja. *ninjitsu hand sign*" "...Is that so?"

And why did they let a kid with almost no flight experience handle this again?

So Uso is caucasian? How do anime characters even manage to tell the difference...

Why are you out of breath again?

"Why am I still alive?" Because you won? Dumb question.

"Oi Nyung Hakshaku"? Sounds Korean. There sure are a lot of cultural diversity in this show...

The ED is meh...

Episode 2

I'm not so sure that its a good idea to go casual skydiving when the enemy could show up with their mechs and rifles at any minute...

...Or when there's friendly jets flying low on patrol.

He picked a REALLLY bad time to go skydiving.

XD! Oh god, that looked so wrong!

(^animated gif)

Dude, some little kid just beat your ass and stole your mech. You suck.

That wasn't cool, Uso.

There's fresh food in the fridge. That means that someone still lives there.

They're blowing each other up! Hey guys, lets sit up here on this grassy hill and enjoy the show! We can even make a barbeque out of it!

Episode 3

Damn. Those resistance members got owned.

Hey Uso, why are you just sitting there watching his jet turn into a mobile suit instead of doing something about it?

Did that guy ever think that some of his comrads might still be alive in the city and may not want to get blown up for the cause?

"STFU BITCH! *slaps*"

Looks like a comfortable place to rest your head... right on Katejina's lap.

Random pilot haet dogs.

Uso, Katejina, and the kid are the only ones that survived? That's kind of corny...

Episode 4

So that explains why Uso isn't a complete n00b...

No, he's a noisy baby. You need to get him a pacifier.

There you go, Uso. Hit them BEFORE they merge.

I didn't notice it before, but Marvet kinda looks like Casca.

Uso's first kill.

Episode 5

That blue mobile suit looks dumb.

"Get this damned thing off my head!"

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2006-12-11 at 06:40.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 10:29   Link #63
Bloodseeker

I decided that I wanted to just watch the show with no interruptions. I do still have comments through episode 10 though...

I can't say that I've grown attached to the cast so far. I like Katerina (with the direction that things are going, I think I may come to REALLY like Katerina later), and the haro in this one is kind of funny (I didn't like the haros in Seed), and Uso is proving to be a dynamic character (though I don't really like him...), but I'm completely indiferent to the rest of them. Except for the baby, that little bastard cries too much. Its really annoying.

They better start giving me some good reasons to like these characters if they want me to care when the drama fest that I heard about starts.

The fights aren't bad so far. Its no Evangelion or Eureka Seven, but they're not boring either.

All in all, its just been somewhat good so far. Its not boring, and I'm interested in seeing where Katerina's, and to a lesser extent, Uso's characters go, but it hasn't hooked me. Its still got another 41 episodes to do so though, and I don't think that I'm going to drop it between now and then.
Old 2006-12-11, 17:49   Link #64
Godaiger
Crossover Yuusha Godaiger

I heard that the fourth episode was supposed to be the first but Bandai pushed Tomino to replace it with another because they want the Gundam to appear early in the anime.
Godaiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 21:29   Link #65
brightman
Ancient Member

The beginning's relatively tame (and lame?), but as typical of Gundam shows, once the settings change (from space->Earth or the reverse), things start to pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godaiger
I heard that the fourth episode was supposed to be the first but Bandai pushed Tomino to replace it with another because they want the Gundam to appear early in the anime.
Yup, that's the story... And coincidentally, just 6 years later, he turns out a Gundam show with a first episode that appeared as different from Gundam as you can possibly get, and better yet, there is no Gundam...
Old 2006-12-12, 03:40   Link #66
Bloodseeker

Episode 11

I like the Shrike Team. Betting on the fight between Uso and Odelo instead of doing the typical anime girl thing and disapproving of it FTW.

Spoiler for later events:

On the other hand, this episode made me dislike Shakti... that was dumb when she was crying and planting those seeds instead getting herself to safety.

Episode 12

Heh, did Uso just have a meal while Shakti was standing outside with the brat?

Feeling a little guilty, Fuala? You're the authority figure here. If you can't stand the thought of making inoccent kids lose their friends and family, then keep the guillotine use to a minimum.

Eh, don't get depressed, Uso. Life sucks when you're that old.

"I can't win! Its GREAT TEAMWORK!"

"We're about to get our asses kicked. Dammit, I want to get drunk."

Not a bad episode. It looks like Fuala might soften up a bit, which wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO.

Episode 13

Sits in Mahalia's lap, gets kissed, carressed, and gets pushed back into her boobs? Lucky Uso.

She's wearing lipstick as facepaint?

@ the end of the episode

I thought that Mahalia was going to replace Katejina as the older woman that Uso looks up to and take on a more maternal role and form strong bonds with Uso and serve as his emotional support. Hopefully she's not dead, but I'm under the impression that she got killed off. Way too soon.

Episode 14

Katejina shower scene?! ...Dammit, its tame.

They're putting make-up and lipstick on her corpse? "You're very pretty, sis." Crazy people.

Dammit Lupe, just die already.

Stupid ass Kate! Eject!

And another member of the Shrike Team gets killed off...

That's right Uso, you failed again.

And Uso becomes a little bit more enraged.

The casuality count needs to balance out... so far, all we've seen are likable characters and minor characters that I really couldn't care less about get killed off. Its time to start killing the failures too.
Spoiler for wishful thinking:
On the plus side, it looks like seeing his buddies get killed off is driving Uso over edge. This could turn into a good thing.

Episode 15

Uh-oh. Doesn't look like Fuala approves of Chronicle's and Katejina's relationship. Foreshadowing, maybe?

Uso's a cherry.

Firing empty rifles? Not much of a salute... they might as well just do away with the rifles altogether.

Meh episode. It was kind of anti-climatic to do away with Fuala like THAT. One of the Shrike Team members should have killed her.

Episode 16

They got the drop on them.

And this is why you keep your prisoners locked away in a bare room behind bars.

Another meh episode. Not much to say about it...

Episode 17

Wow, you look dumb with that wig on.

Your sibling gave birth to a failure. Wait a sec...!

Dammit, not a flashback episode... at least save it until the half way point.

Liar. Your soldiers killed the civilians too too.

I hope that they don't pull a Seed and have multiple flashback episodes in close succession...

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2006-12-12 at 06:52.
Old 2006-12-12, 06:26   Link #67
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Looking at how big Usso was compared to the chest of Mahalia's Gun-EZ, I don't think the Gun-EZs have ejection pods, and jumping out of the cockpit form that height wouldn't really help her stay alive.

The pink Zanscare helicopter suits (Tomliats, iirc) only have ejection pods because it's easy to incorporate the ejection system into the design because of its transforming system. Others don't have ejection pods because of how small MSes become from F-91 and on.

The Victory Gundams also have ejection pods, but that's also due to its transforming design making it easier.

Spoiler for One other point seen later in the show, just to cover all the bases if someone decides to debate my points:
Old 2006-12-12, 06:58   Link #68
Bloodseeker

She had a better chance of surviving trying to climb out and find cover underneath the launcher until one of her teammates could swoop by and pick her up than being a sitting duck and waiting to get fried.

Episode 18

Genitalia? 15-25 years older and female next time, please. Preferably Katejina's.

Another battle... another dead Shrike? Hopefully not.

Doggie spacesuit?

Uso's the wrong person to ask about that kind of thing, Warren. You're looking for Oliver.

Flowers? Definitely the wrong person to ask.

"I'LL CAPTURE YOU!" Uso fails at being hotblooded.

They're out of the ship! Take Shakti's head off with a laser beam!

Somebody needs to walk up to Jinn and knock his ass out for being annoying.

Just let them float around in space until they run out oxygen. I feel bad for Suzy and the dog, but they're dieing for a good cause.

I enjoyed this episode. Good space battle.

Episode 19

Guess that they don't have a "leave no man behind" mentality...

You gave birth to a failure, Maria.

I've got to wander what the point behind bringing in such an intentionally annoying major character like Jinn Gehennam is... I hope that its so that the viewer can have the satisfaction of watching him get brutally tortured and executed later. Alright episode.

Episode 20

A Shrike member is getting a bit of character development... looks like you've only got a couple episodes left in you, Junko.

Nice plan, Uso. Poison the ship that your friends are on. I hope that the baby dies from brain damage.

Shut up Marvet. Junko >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you.

Good episode. Focus on a Shrike member seems to mean that they're about to get killed off, but hopefully they'll break the chain and let her stick around for a while.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2006-12-12 at 10:15.
Old 2006-12-12, 15:20   Link #69
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

@bloodseeker pleasure to meet you. i agree killing likeable side characters isn't the best thing to do in a series(kinda pushes fans away) (well it worked in fma/hughes) but that's the reality of war, and we can appreciate the time we had with the character.that jinn guy dies enjoy his death and weep at the death of others. i also like katejina, though not sure why.(similar to sniper-chan and dorothy(wing)) and yes shakti is annoying and seed has too many flashbacks and sucks.
but what did you mean by
Genitalia? 15-25 years older and female next time, please. Preferably Katejina's.(are you refering to girls?)
and
uso's a cherry.
@shinji i was going to say what you said.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 20:56   Link #70
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
She had a better chance of surviving trying to climb out and find cover underneath the launcher until one of her teammates could swoop by and pick her up than being a sitting duck and waiting to get fried.
Maybe. Or she could have slipped and fell to a bad death anyway.

Even if she managed to not slip off, that Zanscare pilot would have fried/shot/crushed/knocked her off the structure as she was climbing down anyway.
Old 2006-12-12, 23:18   Link #71
4Tran

Good. Someone's watching my favorite Gundam show. People tend to have mixed reactions, so I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker
Sits in Mahalia's lap, gets kissed, carressed, and gets pushed back into her boobs? Lucky Uso.
Uso has far more luck with the ladies than any other Gundam character.

Quote:
They're putting make-up and lipstick on her corpse? "You're very pretty, sis." Crazy people.
It's actually not that bad. Undertakers often (usually?) put make up on corpses to make them more presentable during the viewing.

Quote:
And this is why you keep your prisoners locked away in a bare room behind bars.
It isn't Gundam until there's a ridiculously easy prison break.

Quote:
Uso's the wrong person to ask about that kind of thing, Warren. You're looking for Oliver.
I don't know. This scene may well have had the best dialogue of any Tomino Gundam show (all of the possible exceptions are in Turn A).
Old 2006-12-12, 23:36   Link #72
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Yeah, putting make-up on the body isn't weird at all. It'd definitely be much more preferable than a, let's say, completely charred up face or a bullet-ridden body (but that's what closed-casket funerals are for).
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 01:55   Link #73
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33 View Post
@bloodseeker pleasure to meet you. i agree killing likeable side characters isn't the best thing to do in a series(kinda pushes fans away) (well it worked in fma/hughes) but that's the reality of war, and we can appreciate the time we had with the character.that jinn guy dies enjoy his death and weep at the death of others.
But this isn't real war, this is television. Killing off all of the characters as soon as they change from being just another face in the battle to a likable character with potentially interesting relationships isn't good writing. You need to keep them around for a good 10-30 episodes before killing them off.

And do me a favor and don't spoil anymore deaths... I will enjoy it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33
i also like katejina, though not sure why.(similar to sniper-chan and dorothy(wing)) and yes shakti is annoying and seed has too many flashbacks and sucks.
I hope that Shakti dies. I get the feeling that I'm hoping in vain though...

I like Seed (Cagalli and Mwu rank up there with my favorite Gundam characters), I just hated the flashbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33
but what did you mean by
Genitalia? 15-25 years older and female next time, please. Preferably Katejina's.(are you refering to girls?)
and
uso's a cherry.
The baby's sack was hanging out when Shakti was changing him.

Uso flipped out when he stepped outside of a spaceship and into space for the first time. I was referencing Outlaw Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Maybe. Or she could have slipped and fell to a bad death anyway.

Even if she managed to not slip off, that Zanscare pilot would have fried/shot/crushed/knocked her off the structure as she was climbing down anyway.
Probably. He didn't seem to care what happened to the structure. But it still would have been better than standing there and waiting to get killed. At least she would have been able to try to hide outside of her mech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran
Good. Someone's watching my favorite Gundam show. People tend to have mixed reactions, so I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.
I'm still not hooked, but it hasn't bored me or anything... 7/10 so far.

The big issue is that I don't care about the main cast, which is vital for getting me hooked on a series. Uso, Shakti, Odelo, Marvet, etc... they could put a bullet between their eyes and I wouldn't care. And whenever they DO bring somebody in that I like, the potential Cagalli or Heero or Domon of this series, they kill them off, either during the same episode or very shortly afterwards. The only characters that I like right now are Katejina and Junto, but the former doesn't get much screentime and the latter probably doesn't have much longer to live if past themes continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tran
It's actually not that bad. Undertakers often (usually?) put make up on corpses to make them more presentable during the viewing.
Yeah, but this seemed like a ceremony after the funeral rather than cosmetics to make them more presentable for the funeral. It just came across as weird.
Old 2006-12-13, 13:26   Link #74
omegastar

I honestly didn't like Victory at all. I watched up to episode 40 and don't get me wrong, the story is pretty good, but the execution just plain sucks in my opinion.

There are scenes that don't make sense, like checking if someone's a Newtype by gettingwith him in a tube (?), or planting flowers while there's a battle going on around you. Also, the dialogue and overall pace seems a little forced, espceially because there's no emphasis on what they're doing next...
And if you add to that the fact that there were many unnecessary scenes that looked like they were put on just as fillers, I think this show ends up being somewhat lame.

I think this was because of the depression Tomino was going through at the moment. The overall mood is just different, if not horrid...
omegastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 18:45   Link #75
Ohnuki

Victory gets way too many accolades IMHO. The characters are incredibly annoying(and any character that COULD be cool usually dies). I mean I get that Tomino was having a rough time(thats why the whole show is basically the viewers seeing the angst of an 8 year old kid), honestly the story could have easily been condensed into one movie, the characters and backstory for F91 are far better suited for a 50 episode show.
Ohnuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 18:57   Link #76
dagr81
The legendary dragoon

is v gundom realy that good. i may want to find thid and watch it?
dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 20:52   Link #77
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnuki View Post
Victory gets way too many accolades IMHO. The characters are incredibly annoying(and any character that COULD be cool usually dies). I mean I get that Tomino was having a rough time(thats why the whole show is basically the viewers seeing the angst of an 8 year old kid), honestly the story could have easily been condensed into one movie, the characters and backstory for F91 are far better suited for a 50 episode show.
Victory gets accolades!? Where do people heap praise on Victory? As far as I can tell, it's pretty much the least talked about of the UC Gundam TV shows, and the opinion of those who watch it is quite divided. It's popularity (or lack thereof) isn't help by the fact that although it's often the most depressing of the Gundam shows, it also has some of the goofiest scenes imaginable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr81 View Post
is v gundom realy that good. i may want to find thid and watch it?
It really depends. Victory Gundam is, in many ways, a bit of a departure from other Gundam shows in tone. If you don't mind a mix of the serious with the silly, then you might well end up liking it. However, it's hardly for everyone - just keep in mind that it's the most poorly rated of the UC Gundam TV shows, and that it's animation is relatively weak. However, I think that it easily has the best combat choreography, so your mileage will vary.
Old 2006-12-14, 12:30   Link #78
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
I agree with you all they way 4tran. THe only thing that bugged me was the stupidity of Zansacre. People say Neo Zeon were idiots, trust me they have nothing on Zansacre.

Anyhow Chronicle got screwed badly, i mean he isn't a bad pilot, he does pretty good for himself. Sure he does have grand schemes like Char or other gundam villians, he definitly doesn't deserve the bad rep he has.

Is it just me, but doesn't Lady Une and Katejina behave similar even look similar to some extent.

On another note, Victory did something no other Gundam show has done for me. It created characters i liked. I can't say there was any character i hated at all. I think tomino did a good job with character development, which for him is only rivaled in Turn A.
Old 2006-12-14, 13:45   Link #79
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
I agree with you all they way 4tran. THe only thing that bugged me was the stupidity of Zansacre. People say Neo Zeon were idiots, trust me they have nothing on Zansacre.
This is true. Most of the excesses found in Neo Zeon are reflected in Zanscare as well. The only difference seems to be that the Zanscare folks were supposed to be idiots. Or at least, that I couldn't see any reason to assume that Tassilo, Pippeniden and Kagatie were anything other than idiots. For some reason, this seems less offensive than someone like Haman being treated like an idiot.

Quote:
Anyhow Chronicle got screwed badly, i mean he isn't a bad pilot, he does pretty good for himself. Sure he does have grand schemes like Char or other gundam villians, he definitly doesn't deserve the bad rep he has.
I don't know if Cronicle has a bad reputation. I think that he's more ignored than anything else. The fact is that he's simply overshadowed by the female Zanscare pilots.

Quote:
Is it just me, but doesn't Lady Une and Katejina behave similar even look similar to some extent.
As far as I can tell, the similarity is very slight.

Quote:
On another note, Victory did something no other Gundam show has done for me. It created characters i liked. I can't say there was any character i hated at all. I think tomino did a good job with character development, which for him is only rivaled in Turn A.
I don't agree with the former sentiment, but I think that the latter one is spot on. I'd say that Victory is easily the second best of Tomino's Gundam shows, and the characters are a big part of that (admittedly, the characters could still have been better written).
Old 2007-01-09, 17:29   Link #80
kiramuro

Just finished watching Victory gundam. This completes my UC gundam viewing after I was introduced to the gundam universe when I caught Seed back in April of last year. Well almost since I still have to watch 0083. I have a few questions and comments about the series in general.

1. Is Katejina a newtype? I am a bit on the fence on this one.

2. WTF is Tomino smoking when he created those motorad battleships? They are cool but completely useless. Did he have a fascination with motorcyles at the time?

3. Is it me or did the ending to V has a sort of apocalyptic atmosphere to it i.e. like the End of Evangelion. I didn't feel this in any other gundam series I have watched so far. (0079, zeta, zz, 08th MS, CCA, 0080, F91, seed, seed destiny).

4. Uso fucking pwns! The stuff he does in V is made of legend. I have never seen any other Gundam characters pulling off the daredevil stunts that Uso did in Victory with the exception of Amuro crashing his plane in Zeta.

5. V2 gundam has to be the most formidable gundam in UC. Considering it's acceleration capability and nearly unlimited delta V due to it's non-newtonian propulsion system. There is a truth in war in that speed kills. Back in WWII Japanese Zeros got slaughtered by the post-1942 American warplanes such as the F4U-4 Corsair or the Grumman Hellcat mainly because of the massive speed/acceleration advantages in those planes. However I didn't really see Uso use the acceleration capability of V2 that much in the series. I wonder why?

6. Why does Chronicle wear his mask? Is he allergic to something or is it purely cosmetic?

7. I love the first opening and ending plus the music used in the preview. Overall the soundtrack is as good as Zeta (with US DVD op&ed) and better than most other gundam series.

8. Is this the only UC series in which funerals are shown? BTW I felt that other gundam series (with the exception of Seed Destiny) sorely lacked this aspect of war.

Finally is it me or did Fukuda just mixed all 4 UC series in a blender and then pour the mixture into two cups named Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny?
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote