AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-05-27, 15:54   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

My Neighbor Totoro

I finally got around to digging this film out of my collection of older anime as I hadn't gotten a chance to watch it. I've had it for years but don't know why I waited till now to watch it. I definately gotta give this movie two thumbs up. Gibli scores another classic with this film. Mei and her sister were just awesome. Mei was a trip though. Perfect job doing a 4 year old, and her sister was great too. Patera (sp?) was funny too as he seemed like he liked her but was scared of girls for some odd reason. hehe.

Oh, and the catbus. OH man, I so want a cat bus after seeing that. Or at least a ride in one. That was just too utterly cool seeing that. Has anyone else seen this classic? What did you think of it? I'd easily recommend it to anybody who has never seen it.

Edit: Yup, it's neighbor, not friend. So I fixed the title.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-05-28 at 13:13.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 16:04   Link #2
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

I have an english only dvd from WB and it is one of my favorite movies. Catbus is the second coolest thing ever. Totoro is the first.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 16:20   Link #3
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
I finally got around to digging this film out of my collection of older anime as I hadn't gotten a chance to watch it. I've had it for years but don't know why I waited till now to watch it. I definately gotta give this movie two thumbs up. Gibli scores another classic with this film. Mei and her sister were just awesome. Mei was a trip though. Perfect job doing a 4 year old, and her sister was great too. Patera (sp?) was funny too as he seemed like he liked her but was scared of girls for some odd reason. hehe.

Oh, and the catbus. OH man, I so want a cat bus after seeing that. Or at least a ride in one. That was just too utterly cool seeing that. Has anyone else seen this classic? What did you think of it? I'd easily recommend it to anybody who has never seen it.
Yeah its one of my favourites (like all Miyazaki's movies), but isn't the title 'My Neighbor Totoro'?

The most memorable scene for me is when Mei and Satsuki are waiting for their father at the bus stop and Totoro walks up beside them.Then they have that rain drop game that is just so amazing to watch (perfect timing and build up). Then the cat bus turns up and Totoro gives them the magic nuts.

Brilliant and enchanting stuff. Must watch it again soon.

Sonhex
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 22:39   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

You have the DVD of it?? Dude, all I got is an old VHS tape of it. Hmm. Of course mine's in original japanese with subtitles straight from Japan, so I'll have to hunt down the DVD when I get a chance. I know I saw it on Amazon at one time....or at least I think I did, but I can't remember if I did or not, and if so, if it was dual audio or not. Hmm. Might want to trade up my old VHS copy for a dvd copy if they now have them.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-27, 22:55   Link #5
curlyconnor

Disney's re-releasing it on bilingual R1 DVD this August, Yay!
curlyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 14:28   Link #6
LuciaMelody

Send a message via AIM to LuciaMelody
Totoro is really cool!!!!! U r right the way the girls were animated - u almost forget that u r watching an anime, it feels like a movie! soo real!!!
LuciaMelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 14:43   Link #7
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStar
I have an english only dvd from WB and it is one of my favorite movies. Catbus is the second coolest thing ever. Totoro is the first.
RIGHT ON!!

And people don't believe me when I say that Studio Ghibli is the greatest thing anime has ever seen. I've seen all of their films, and they're all so damn amazing!!! Totoro is definitely one of the most wonderful, heartwarming films I've ever seen. In real contrast to Grave of the Fireflies, which was the side-movie together with this film
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 09:31   Link #8
Briareos

Thankfully in the Grave of the Fireflies/Totoro double feature, Grave came first (I believe).

Someone else has a "Must Buy DVD" thread, but to me every Ghibli film is a must buy. Totoro is available right now as an R1 video/DVD (full screen) dub from 20th Century Fox who no longer has the rights (although you can find used copies for arounf $7 on www.half.com right now). I got the video when it first came out and sent in for the little Totoro plushie they were giving away. (We've since added wiskers to the Totoro plushie by finding those that have fallen off our cat and pressing them into the appropriate spots on his face.)

Here's a wonderful Ebert review of Totoro:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatm...bortotoro.html

As mentioned above, Disney will be releasing an R1 of Totoro in a wide aspect ratio, with a new dub, the original Japanese audio, and English subtitles in August (along with Nausicaa and Porko Rosso).
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/new...84295956,91947,

The featured cast for the new English dub of My Neighbor Totoro is:
  • Dakota Fanning (I AM SAM) as Satsuki
  • Elle Fanning (DADDY DAYCARE) as Mei
  • Timothy Daly (WINGS) as Mr. Kusakabe
  • Lea Salonga (MISS SAIGON) as Mrs. Kusakabe
  • Pat Carroll (THE LITTLE MERMAID) as Granny
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 13:17   Link #9
kapaostudios
Artist

Send a message via AIM to kapaostudios Send a message via MSN to kapaostudios
lol i have every hayao miyazaki anime even the new well not new anymore the cat returns. also man spirted away if u havn't check that out yet man iono wats wrong wit u then. lol
kapaostudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 13:44   Link #10
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

That's right, as Briareos said, it is Twentieth Century Fox. I dont know why I said WB. I'd love a widescreen version though so I can wait until Disney rereleases it. One of the coolest things about it is that it doesnt assume children are stupid, cowards. Kids are so curious that if a kid saw Totoro they probalby would just crawl up on his belly. Me personally, I'd be scared ****less.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 15:25   Link #11
ZhouYu
^im with stupid

i watched the chinese dub release when i was a kid....
ZhouYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 17:36   Link #12
pontupo
Mad Yoda Steez

Send a message via AIM to pontupo
Thumbs up

I have to agree with pretty much everyone on this thread. Just like all of Miyazaki's films (and Future Boy Conan too, which I highly recomend to anyone that is interested in an anime that is a lot like Laputa Castle in the Sky) My Neighbor Totoro rocks! I loved it for any number of reasons, but first and foremost is that I am a sucker for sweet stories, whether happy or sad, and I also love shows/films that are aimed at children (I don't think I'm TOOfar off in saying that Totoro is just such a film). The characters are loveable and Totoro, although perhaps a little big for such things, ;-) is SO very huggable it's hard to resist. Oh, cat bus rocks as well :-)
pontupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 17:28   Link #13
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Woohoo the new dvd release of My Neighbor Totoro came out today along with Howl's Moving Castle (got both ) and I especially can't wait to watch this one because I have in fact never seen it! I would of watched the other dvd but I heard the quality really sucked plus its a bare bones dvd so I just waited for the new release.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-07, 18:54   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm waiting for the Disney release.... the bilingual and widescreen are the differentiators for me.
My son's JP teacher's copy is getting pretty raggy .... bet she'd like a copy too.
Old 2006-03-08, 00:15   Link #15
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm waiting for the Disney release.... the bilingual and widescreen are the differentiators for me.
My son's JP teacher's copy is getting pretty raggy .... bet she'd like a copy too.
It came out today! Well here in the US anyways.

I was at a dilema before I started the film as to whether to watch the film in Japanese or english dub. I am pretty much strictly a japanese with subs anime watcher but Disney has an excellent track record with dubs and this does not dissapoint. I went with the english dub and it was outstanding, in fact it was so good that I had no desire to switch audio tracks during the whole movie. I will even go as far as saying it's easily one of the best dubs I have ever heard.

As for the movie itself I really enjoyed it. It's one of those movies that anyone at any age can enjoy. Very warmhearted and fun to watch.
Old 2006-03-08, 00:15   Link #16
Tommy
Mr. Prince

sorry dbl post.
Old 2007-09-15, 18:16   Link #17
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Found this on 4ch:

I like this remake a lot better.
Old 2007-09-15, 23:50   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A dark Totoro... heh, don't let the American McGee people see it
Old 2007-09-22, 21:07   Link #19
JCF

Totoro still has a certain charm for me since watching it first >10yrs ago. But I'm becoming more insensitive to some of the more light-hearted happenings in the film.
JCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 15:31   Link #20
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^ I kind of know what you mean. Totoro did not charm me as much as I would have expected, even though I can understand what makes it special for so many people.

Nausicaa is more special to me than Totoro, to be honest, because it's the first Ghibli movie I watched as a child. I wasn't aware at the time that it is a Ghibli movie though.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, slice of life