AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-09, 23:40   Link #201
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Wow ... very effective with the mood, the animation, the VA'ing and the music ... very, very effective. Just very well done, downright eerie and well told story. At least so far.

I am impressed. And I generally do not like "horror" type stories. 8 of 10 vote for me for this ep. Very well done without being "artsy" or "pretentious".

This one looks like a keeper for now.

I couldn't agree more with everything that you wrote. I'm totally on the same page with you on everything here, except I'd rate the episode 9/10 (but then I'm an easier rater than many ).

Like yourself, I'm generally not into "horror" type stories, but this anime does it with such intrigue, mystery, style, and class, that I just can't help but to love it.

Another is thus far delivering everything I could possibly have hoped for from this anime given how it promoted itself.

Of the Winter 2012 anime premiers I've watched so far (and there's now a few of them), this is my favorite.

A couple notes:

1. Loved how the "transfer student" trope was somewhat subverted here. We had actual normal conversations where the transfer student in question addresses each other student in turn. The irony here is that this subversion gives us normalcy which in turn likely masks some horrible secrets.

2. I'm pleased with how this is horror/mystery played straight. Ookami Kakushi mixed in a lot of harem hijinks and the like, which I felt often caused that anime to fail to have an effective horror/mystery atmosphere. Another thankfully takes the opposite approach. By keeping dialogue and character interactions very "down to Earth" overall, Another makes the creepier parts stand out more against the backdrop of that normalcy.
Old 2012-01-10, 00:38   Link #202
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 00:42   Link #203
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
Four is pronounced similar to death in Chinese so some buildings don't have a 4th floor because it is associated with death (it is a superstition kind of thing).

Now this might have already been mentioned, but what does our MC's (Sakakaibara or so?) name mean? Does it give any insight into the plot?
Aha, I always wonder why my parents told me it was bad luck to give 4 offerings to my deceased ancestors instead of 3. It's pronouced the same, but the word/character is different.
Old 2012-01-10, 00:49   Link #204
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

The OP is ear-poisoning. Story looks like it's worth following, though.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 00:52   Link #205
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Seems okay. Will need to watch more to see how it goes, but the first episode has got me hooked.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 01:01   Link #206
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Rough Sketch

The promotional art for Another immediately drew me inside the world of the novel for the upcoming anime, and what was my surprise that I recently found out that the novels were written by the husband to Fuyumi Ono, author to the Ghost Hunt and The Twelve Kingdoms novels.

My reactions for the first episode were just simply impressive because the narrative and the storyline clearly exploit the ghost story elements, and the visual elements add strongly to both the sense of suspense and lingering dread.

For example, we have:
1. A seemingly normal, countryside town far away from the big cities. But, even at day, it looks like a gloomy ghost town because hardly I could see any living soul outside their homes.

2. The archetypal Japanese middle-school (or high-school) compound facility host to long and foreboding hallways and creepy classrooms.

3. The background music denotes an effective feeling of madness and ethereal haunting.

4. The fact that save for Kouichi, everyone else and even the students behave with bizarre mannerisms when questioned or asking questions; there's a cat in the bag, as they're explicitly hiding something from Kouichi.

5. Last, but not least, Mei who is another quintessential embodiment of the supernatural in flesh. Properly dressed in her school uniform, abnormal white skin, black pearl hair, a ruby-blood right eye, and a sinister patch that covers her left eye.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 01:21   Link #207
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You know what the teacher said about everyone graduating in good health? I couldn't help but notice that health (or rather the lack of health) seems to be prevalent. The MC had a collapsed lung. The twintails girl was off sick. The freckles guy had a heart condition. Glasses girl had a sprained ankle.. Some of those students looked really pale. The building looks really worn down. And finally there's Misaki and that eye patch. There seems to be a curse going on.
Yeah that's one thing that definitely stood out. A line like that about health and then seeing the numerous conditions that seem to be going on in that class. Then you just have everyone acting strangely and clearly having something they are keeping hidden.

Definitely a first episode that sucks you right in. Should be interesting to see how things proceed from here. At any rate think the dad is the lucky one to be cooking in India far away from this story .
Old 2012-01-10, 01:36   Link #208
AzureWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Aha, I always wonder why my parents told me it was bad luck to give 4 offerings to my deceased ancestors instead of 3. It's pronouced the same, but the word/character is different.
I guess I should mention that this is actually a pretty serious superstition in Asian culture (at least I can testify for Chinese culture). I may have passed it off too lightly. Just talking about death at all is frowned upon since it leads to bad luck.
Old 2012-01-10, 01:45   Link #209
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

OK, I'm a little late to the party, but I finally had a chance to see this. The OP a bit annoying, and yet creepy, so it did it's job of setting the mood, and what a mood this episode has. Very quiet, not very lively at all, and yet it has your complete attention, as if you feel that you'll miss something important.

Also, I agree with what someone said a couple pages back. It seems as if a curse has fallen over the school and the surrounding area. Multiple health issues among the students. Run down campus, etc.

The level of detail is quite nice. I also thought the scene where Saka...er...I mean Kouichi passes Mei in the car was executed nicely.

Spoiler for an observation:

Endless "Morgue---->" Soul
Old 2012-01-10, 02:29   Link #210
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

The OP makes me feel as if I was watching Rozen Maiden again

Other than that, not bad first ep, although the roof scene could have been improved.
Old 2012-01-10, 02:31   Link #211
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Other than that, not bad first ep, although the roof scene could have been improved.
I suppose they could Shaft-it-up....
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 02:38   Link #212
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I suppose they could Shaft-it-up....
No no, I mean....

Spoiler:

Maybe they will in a later ep though.
Old 2012-01-10, 03:16   Link #213
EroKing

So this desk is supposed to be over 26 years right?

Also I wonder if there's a connection between Misaki and Kouichi's mom's death.
Old 2012-01-10, 03:39   Link #214
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Meh, unlike other people here, I found that the episode was too short. The 'hook' ain't there yet, and if it wasn't for the awesome art and eerie atmosphere, I'd already label this a dud. Guess it's mainly the problem with the episode format... everything was stellar quality, but just looking at it plot-wise, all I'm asking at the end of the episode is "so what? that's it?"

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 05:06   Link #215
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Meh, unlike other people here, I found that the episode was too short. The 'hook' ain't there yet, and if it wasn't for the awesome art and eerie atmosphere, I'd already label this a dud. Guess it's mainly the problem with the episode format... everything was stellar quality, but just looking at it plot-wise, all I'm asking at the end of the episode is "so what? that's it?"
The real shit doesn't begin to happen until further in....these stories all build gradually before exploding at a certain point.
Old 2012-01-10, 06:30   Link #216
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

Okay, I call it. By the end of this series, there's gonna be people stalking him or something, and we're gonna find out because the parrot's gonna be learning some new words xD. Also, the hospital visit in the beginning really reminded me of Higurashi for some reason.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Ami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 06:34   Link #217
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
The real shit doesn't begin to happen until further in....these stories all build gradually before exploding at a certain point.
It would be delusional to expect otherwise.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 06:38   Link #218
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I'm the only person on the face of this planet that likes the OP, lmao. Guess I'm a diehard AliPro girl to the end. (Although I DO very much agree that it doesn't fit the show.) I dislike the ED. Sounds boring and forgettable, which is super disappointing since I was looking forward to hearing new work from out of annabel. Oh, well. (At least it actually sounds appropriate to the show in that, as someone said earlier, it gives us a bit of hope for a possibly happy ending, if not a bittersweet one.)

Will watch the actual episode later.
Old 2012-01-10, 07:00   Link #219
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

The efficiency displayed by the other students during lunch in misdirecting the transfer student when he started sniffing a little too close to where the bodies were buried was the moment I bought in. I love that moment in suspense stories. It reminds me of Higurashi, and Rena's curt, too-quick "shiranai."

I admit that I spent a good portion of the episode playing "guess the horror trope" with the various quirks and imagery that were touched upon. Honestly, that's part of the fun of a mystery, though; the guessing.

The "health" related oddities are going to be worth keeping an eye on. Someone who actually knows medicine can correct me, but aren't collapsed lungs usually associated with physical trauma, or injury? I wonder if it's relevant that his father specifically mentions that he had it happen twice.

"Insular little town with secrets" can work wonders for a mystery if it's carried off right, and so far, Another has it down to an art. The class reps visiting early on came off as sinister, but the end of the episode flips the script, and implies that they're the ones who are afraid of him.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 07:20   Link #220
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I'm the only person on the face of this planet that likes the OP, lmao. Guess I'm a diehard AliPro girl to the end. (Although I DO very much agree that it doesn't fit the show.) I dislike the ED. Sounds boring and forgettable, which is super disappointing since I was looking forward to hearing new work from out of annabel. Oh, well. (At least it actually sounds appropriate to the show in that, as someone said earlier, it gives us a bit of hope for a possibly happy ending, if not a bittersweet one.)

Will watch the actual episode later.
I like the OP too....just that it's more suited to some Victorian themed gothic....

Quote:
It would be delusional to expect otherwise.
And boy does it explode....

Tags
horror, seinen