AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-11-14, 21:20   Link #15461
kakakka

It depends on how much you want to colour.

Some parts like beneath the shoulders, and some parts of the knee/lower legs, have to be coloured first before assembly. But it's up to you if you want to go that far.

Overall, I think it's better to colour before you assemble fully.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 00:07   Link #15462
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstrife View Post
uhmmm... you buy them from you local hobby store?? they dont cost a lot and are of much higher quality than the ones you get bundled with the kits. even ebay has them as well so try that and you might grab yourself a bargain
that'll be a bit difficult for me, theres only 3 place that sell gunpla in montreal. the best one doesnt keep them in stock too often, the other has more anime merchandise including models and the 3rd has gunpla once in a blue moon.

i have a question to the people that use mr. colour brand paints. i really like using that paint, sometimes it dries too fast for my liking but over i like it still. i do have one major problem with it. using that paint means that i need to scrap a brush. ive tried varsal then removing the paint with my finger nails that works half the time. usually it works on the first 2 uses then theres too much paint on the bristles and the brush becomes a solid point. is there any solution that neutralises it so the brush isnt scrapped? i usually use humbrol enamel but i do use mr color for some peices.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 00:23   Link #15463
darkstrife
When Retribution comes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
that'll be a bit difficult for me, theres only 3 place that sell gunpla in montreal. the best one doesnt keep them in stock too often, the other has more anime merchandise including models and the 3rd has gunpla once in a blue moon.
you can try ebay or online hobby stores like the ones based in japan

quick question: what colour of spraypaint do u guys think most resembles the inner frame parts of a gundam kit? (i was maybe thinking gun metal?)
Old 2009-11-15, 00:51   Link #15464
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstrife View Post
you can try ebay or online hobby stores like the ones based in japan
thanks, looks like online stores are the way to go :s.
Old 2009-11-15, 02:05   Link #15465
Nerroth
NePoi!

I like to use Figma stands, personally.

However, if you know anyone who visits Toronto often, you could ask them to check a few of the model stores in this city. There's one right on Yonge and Dundas which might be able to help, though I'd call ahead of time first.
Old 2009-11-15, 06:42   Link #15466
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
i have a question to the people that use mr. colour brand paints. i really like using that paint, sometimes it dries too fast for my liking but over i like it still. i do have one major problem with it. using that paint means that i need to scrap a brush. ive tried varsal then removing the paint with my finger nails that works half the time. usually it works on the first 2 uses then theres too much paint on the bristles and the brush becomes a solid point. is there any solution that neutralises it so the brush isnt scrapped? i usually use humbrol enamel but i do use mr color for some peices.
I use the Mr. Color thinner,that helps.

The brush is still sort of like slightly damaged though,but thats wear and tear.
Old 2009-11-15, 09:40   Link #15467
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys

Picked this up today. I think the Duel looks more dominating after this redesign
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 10:41   Link #15468
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
I like to use Figma stands, personally.

However, if you know anyone who visits Toronto often, you could ask them to check a few of the model stores in this city. There's one right on Yonge and Dundas which might be able to help, though I'd call ahead of time first.
thanks, i'll look around for 1 or 2 figma stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
I use the Mr. Color thinner,that helps.

The brush is still sort of like slightly damaged though,but thats wear and tear.
thanks, i know where i can get it though last time i went they were out of anything. i dont care too much if normal wear remains on the brush, as long its usuable aside from being a solid tip.
Old 2009-11-15, 13:24   Link #15469
yusawateva

Quote:
thanks, i'll look around for 1 or 2 figma stands.

thanks, i know where i can get it though last time i went they were out of anything. i dont care too much if normal wear remains on the brush, as long its usuable aside from being a solid tip.
wait, so thinner is used to remove paint from the brush? since every time it touches water it turns into putty/solid
yusawateva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 13:33   Link #15470
Akuma_Blade
Last "Real Robot" Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Akuma_Blade
I have a question:

I was buy GN Archer but i not think buy Arios, If i'll buy Kyrios, can I combine it to GN Archer?
Akuma_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 13:37   Link #15471
xYuki
P.A.N.D.O.R.A
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to xYuki
gundam dynames.. my favorite
i owned

xYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 14:13   Link #15472
Dynamite

Quote:
Use paint thinner/alcohol. Think lighter fluid works too...but of course, its lighter fluid.

I believe Mr. Color is lacquer based so use lacquer thinner if you can't get your hands on actual Mr. Color thinner.

If you're using enamel, both lacquer and enamel thinners work.

If you don't want to ruin brushes, use acrylics. They wash off easily with just water.

If you're hand brushing, your brush should be kept in perfect condition. So...be careful with them. And don't buy any brushes below 2 or 3 dollars. They stink...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusawateva View Post
wait, so thinner is used to remove paint from the brush? since every time it touches water it turns into putty/solid
Yes, thinner can be used for that. But you have to use the right thinner. The wrong thinner either does nothing or makes matters worst.

I assume you're using enamel or lacquer since they react badly with water. Do not water your brush down after you dipped it in paint. If you want to wet your brush before painting, then dip it and squeeze out excess water.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 14:32   Link #15473
AaKkisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma_Blade View Post
I have a question:

I was buy GN Archer but i not think buy Arios, If i'll buy Kyrios, can I combine it to GN Archer?
Wouldn't work. Sorry.

With a PhD in Horribleness.
AaKkisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 20:31   Link #15474
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

I've got some questions regarding painting with brushes.

For the moment,I havent found a good way for myself to do it.I tried it with thinner but the paint is usually quite thin,and tend to to splash around alot.Sometimes the colour doesnt stick good as well.

The other end of the extreme,I've tried it without thinner but the paint is too thick in this case.Whatever I paint on usually loses its inner lining design [if they have one].The paint just swallows all of it and its no longer visible after painting.

I have tried varying amounts of thinner of course when I mix it,to find the perfect balance but I have yet to find it yet.

So can somebody give me any tips on this issue?I usually use brushes only for painting small sections that require painting,the HG scale have plenty of those section that needs it and I'm primarily a HG owner.

Some videos would help too if anybody has them.
Old 2009-11-15, 20:40   Link #15475
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Is it okay to do most of these coloring after the kit has been fully assembled in regard to the HG Reborns?Because I've heard a bit about some parts that are best coloured before the assembly is fully done,I can't remember which part that it was referring to though.
If you are looking for anime-accurate, then there isn't much to paint or panel-line for the Reborns. Really awesome kit.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 20:56   Link #15476
Sworra

Quote:

For the moment,I havent found a good way for myself to do it.I tried it with thinner but the paint is usually quite thin,and tend to to splash around alot.Sometimes the colour doesnt stick good as well.

The other end of the extreme,I've tried it without thinner but the paint is too thick in this case.Whatever I paint on usually loses its inner lining design [if they have one].The paint just swallows all of it and its no longer visible after painting.

I have tried varying amounts of thinner of course when I mix it,to find the perfect balance but I have yet to find it yet.

So can somebody give me any tips on this issue?I usually use brushes only for painting small sections that require painting,the HG scale have plenty of those section that needs it and I'm primarily a HG owner.

Some videos would help too if anybody has them.
Try using two drops of paint to one drop of thinner, Or until the paint looks milky thick.. Is it enamel or acrylic?
Sworra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 21:49   Link #15477
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

I use Mr. Color,which like Dynamite says is Lacquer.I know its not water based though[and they release fumes],so probably not acrylic.

I have used the 2:1 ratio before but I dont think it worked that well.Maybe I'll try again.
Old 2009-11-15, 22:55   Link #15478
Dynamite

Quote:

Generally speaking, paints come pre-thinned so anybody could pick one up and go at it. The only reason to thin it any further is if you're putting them into an AB or some delicate jobs like wash panel lining.

But, please keep in mind that I don't use Mr. Color lacquers so I don't know how they come in. In fact, I don't use any type of lacquers except Tamiya spray cans. I'm just assuming they are pretty close to enamels due to the texture.

I have decant a Tamiya spray can before though, and I have to say they are pretty easy to handle...if you don't get knocked the hell out using that stuff.

Quote:
Shouldn't be happening. Yes, paint tend to "eat" details after application. But after it sets and dries, the details should reappear.

Quote:
If need be, use your preferred ratio (3:1, 2:1, etc) and layer it. Best bet if you want to control the paint like you do. Don't expect it to be done with just one application.

Keep in mind that if you're painting on dark surfaces, paint wouldn't "stick" as well. So if you're applying a white to dark blue, its going to take several layers for it to show. Visa-versa with dark paint and light surfaces.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 23:11   Link #15479
darkstrife
When Retribution comes...

what colour of spraypaint do u guys think most resembles the inner frame parts of a gundam kit? (i was maybe thinking gun metal?)
Old 2009-11-15, 23:54   Link #15480
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post

Shouldn't be happening. Yes, paint tend to "eat" details after application. But after it sets and dries, the details should reappear.
I think its the way I brush combined by me not using thinner;which is when this stuff sort of happens.I think I'm aplying too muchpaint over a small area,causing it to to swallow everything up,and it does sort of stay on long after the paint is done.Note,that I'm talking about small areas here,like a small vent for example.

I think I will try to get some pictures of my gunplas that have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
If need be, use your preferred ratio (3:1, 2:1, etc) and layer it. Best bet if you want to control the paint like you do. Don't expect it to be done with just one application.

Keep in mind that if you're painting on dark surfaces, paint wouldn't "stick" as well. So if you're applying a white to dark blue, its going to take several layers for it to show. Visa-versa with dark paint and light surfaces.
More layers needed huh?I guess that might be the problem,thinned paint for me doesnt show well.I guess I just need to dry them off and apply more then for these situations?

Anyway,thanks to those that give me the tips.Well appretiated.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy