Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-31, 08:28   Link #881
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_flying View Post
No, if they were embarrassed just because of things like that, they wouldn't sheltered Mirai.
I was talking about Sakurai's family. She's a no-talent in the main family. That's a big problem. Hence the use of a godeater to supplement her talents.
Old 2013-10-31, 08:42   Link #882
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Seems like KnK picked up after last week's quite solid episode. This one was slower, but I enjoyed the focus on the characters, especially Mitsuki. I hope it continues to progress.
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 09:36   Link #883
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Man, this show finds the least annoying episode RIGHT as I was about to drop it. Smooth move Kyoukai no Kanata, but I'm watching you.
Old 2013-10-31, 09:42   Link #884
Arya

Ok, so far I'm liking the comedy of the show and obviously the great animation and visuals. The fighting aspects are nice and all, but I don't see it as consistent. And it has been topped when Mirai supposedly saved the day twice. I face-palmed twice and all the seriousness that an action series/subplot requires faded away. For that reason I also didn't take seriously the stealing thing.
Glad they finally decided to dedicate a bit of screen time to Mitsuki. By the way I found odd that she has been the only one who practically didn't show up to contain berserk Akihito, if not to be showed staring from that unreal shore. For a moment I hoped that she secretly did something to save Akihito, but this episode confirmed more or less that it's all about Mirai so I doubt that she did something.
So, yes, I'm not very fond of the main girl because the over moe factor, but it still bearable, mostly thanks to the other characters.

I'm very late joining the party so surely this has been already mentioned, and it is not really in topic, but is Hiroomi an homage to True Tears or something like that?
Spoiler for True Tears ref.:

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 10:30   Link #885
liro
Super Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Spoiler for True Tears ref.:
Oh god you're right. But don't jinx it by talking about true tears. I hope Mitsuki won't suffer the same fate as Noe.
Old 2013-10-31, 10:40   Link #886
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Hate to be the first person to go against positive reactions to this episode, but honestly, I feel compelled to make counterarguments.

The idea that Episode 5 lacked "forced moe" relative to earlier episodes really makes me raise my eyebrows. Mirai was forced to dress up in a maid outfit, act shyly, and literally pose for the camera. How much more "forced moe" can you get?

Honestly, the blatant pandering in this episode did not sit well with me. The way this show does sex gags in particular is just so painfully blunt, landing with all the subtlety and originality of an Acme Anvil.

I will say I liked the one-on-one moments between Mirai and Mitsuki. That was genuinely good, and featured some nice character development for both. And I do like how Mirai's poverty has been presented. That's also painful to watch, but in this case, it's painful in an arguably good way. It makes me feel sorry for her, and hope that she can turn it around soon.

On the whole, I'd probably give Episode 5 a 7/10. It was Ok. It had some bits that I enjoyed, and it had some bits that annoyed me. It was probably a good time to have a slower-paced episode where characterization can breath a bit.
I kind of agree with you there; I could've done with Aki's fanboying over 'MEGANE BEAUTIES!' and I thought Scarfboy was an immouto freak?

I also saw exactly where they were going where the little Yommu was going on about the showing the scrapbook to Mirai...'this is going to turn into either a loli joke or it'll turn out that Lil Yommu actually has tits' though I chuckled at the kitty picture.

I get the love for Mitsuki though. She is really cool. I hope nothing bad happens to her or Scarfboy though...because something's weird with that sister.
Spoiler:
Old 2013-10-31, 11:38   Link #887
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
I don't see how Mitsuki's flashback in between Sakura's and Akihito's scene flows. The flashback was supposed to give us an insight that Mitsuki has always decided not to come to the festival and that she's not that happy about it. Like I said it would have been better if they moved the flashback in between Mirai and Mitsuki's alone time. It would have made more sense why she finally decided to go to the festival. Not saying that with the current scene direction you can't put the pieces together it's just IMO it made no sense for them to put the flashback in between 2 unrelated scenes.
Having rewatched, I understand what you're saying better now. But I'm still happy with where they put it. Sometimes, for me, it's better to have the scenes a bit distant from each other, so the feeling spreads over a wider area, and is a bit mysterious, like unconscious thought, rather than being concentrated in one place. But I get what you're saying now, and it's a valid point.

This is still not the most neatly organized show around, and the direction it's going is sometimes not especially clear -- as I say in the "what I'm watching" season review post I just put on my blog.

It's often unclear to me who is responsible for the various aspects of an anime. There is the overall director, the overall writer, the episode director, the episode writer (always the same as the overall writer, in this case), and the episode storyboarder (to say nothing of the overall and episode animation directors). Quite often, the episode director does the storyboard, blocking out the shape of each scene visually. So when we say "direction," it's hard to know who exactly is responsible for things like how the scenes are arranged, how the images move to make things clearer, etc. I guess the overall director has ultimate control -- subject to the desires of the producers.

For those who can read Japanese (or even Chinese, I think), the main staff of each episode of an anime is listed in Japanese Wikipedia. I have a link to the ja.Wikipedia page for each season's shows on my weekly calendars, such as the one for this season. The staff list is usually near the bottom of the wiki page, headed 各話リスト.

Actually, I see that Chinese Wikipedia has the episode staff lists for this show, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 12:03   Link #888
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I kind of agree with you there; I could've done with Aki's fanboying over 'MEGANE BEAUTIES!' and I thought Scarfboy was an immouto freak?

I also saw exactly where they were going where the little Yommu was going on about the showing the scrapbook to Mirai...'this is going to turn into either a loli joke or it'll turn out that Lil Yommu actually has tits' though I chuckled at the kitty picture.
I also chuckled at the kitty picture. Mostly because it made the scene come across as a fitting and clever bit of misdirection. But the thing with misdirection-based humor is that if you then go ahead and give people what they were initially expecting, it kinda spoils the joke, imo.

Quote:
I get the love for Mitsuki though. She is really cool. I hope nothing bad happens to her or Scarfboy though...because something's weird with that sister.
I fully agree with you on Mitsuki. She's a very good character and really cool.
Old 2013-10-31, 12:15   Link #889
Mephis
Banned

I like the character development that is happening around Mitsuki right now.
Mephis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 12:28   Link #890
Anime299

Haven't seen it mentioned, but since we know about the scars on 'scarf-kun's back, plus the picture of Akihito with blood on his hands, wanna bet Hiroomi's neck is all messed up as well?
Anime299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 12:31   Link #891
Mephis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime299 View Post
Haven't seen it mentioned, but since we know about the scars on 'scarf-kun's back, plus the picture of Akihito with blood on his hands, wanna bet Hiroomi's neck is all messed up as well?
Don't tell me his scars came from Akihito's previous berserk state?
Old 2013-10-31, 12:32   Link #892
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-10-31, 12:36   Link #893
Mephis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
NSFW
*facepalm*

I knew it was like that...
Old 2013-10-31, 12:46   Link #894
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I didn't watch this latest episode but I decided the show just isn't doing it for me. I can deal with a slot plot but none of the characters grab me enough to stick with it. I think for a 1 cour series they should have interested me by now.

That is not to say I think this is an awful show, just not my cup of tea.
[applauds]

I kinda wish other people would be honest like this and not somehow force themselves to follow something that they aren't really engaged in. Kudos to your honesty, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephis View Post
Don't tell me his scars came from Akihito's previous berserk state?
Could have. It could have been that the youma that hurt him in ep 4 slashed an area that already had scars from a previous tussle with Akihito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
NSFW
-_-

Someone out there has too much time on their hands.
Old 2013-10-31, 13:18   Link #895
s07195
However,

I just finished Episode 4, and was left with dozens of questions...
Like, where does she get all this blood? Transfusions between scenes?
Old 2013-10-31, 14:54   Link #896
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
I just finished Episode 4, and was left with dozens of questions...
Like, where does she get all this blood? Transfusions between scenes?
Blood volume replenishes naturally in a few days.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 14:59   Link #897
Miraluka
Banned

^
Human's blood barely makes a 15cm iron nail for 5L however.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 15:03   Link #898
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

4:

OK, Mirai now lets feel bad because you misunderstood our poor, even more special main character with a stupid glasses fetish. Giving hugs saves the world. So original right?

Yeah, I have no idea why Kyoani has forgot how to choreograph great action. I see nothing that resembles their abilities from FMP TSR in this show. The direction is embarrassing and I find that Strike the Blood somehow has better action scenes than this show despite having nowhere near the same budget or supposedly talented staff.

You would think that Kyoani's saving grace has always been their ability to craft excellent visual experiences, and despite my issues with their aesthetic choices (particularly in character designs) over the years, I have admitted they were good. But with this, it all changes. Kyoukai no Kanata has displayed such utter ineptitude in direction that all the budget just goes to waste. I wish the Kill La Kill staff had access to this budget since they could make far better use of it.

Watching Mirai act in the derpiest of manners this episode was just painful. 80% of the episode lacked dramatic tension, the rest just yielded a bunch of apathy from me. Dramatic scenes involving these characters elicited zero emotion from me. The cast simply doesn't work.

5:

And this is a pretty terrible follow up episode. Mirai gets to derp around some more meanwhile we watch her eat and sit at tables for half the episode. Then we randomly get her in a maid outfit and spazz out. moe moe? How unpleasant.

The lone action scene of this episode has mirai floating in the air and rolling over a blob. Great choreography kyoani, use that talent of yours. I am just going to stop expecting action from their series anymore. It clear that they will never be able to do it well at the moment.

The pacing of this story is just very odd. And my hate for mirai only seems to continue growing. The greatest dark fantasy story of our times right? Yeah, I see Kyoani has grown little since Munto in this respect. This studio is in a garbage dump right now.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 18:51   Link #899
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I lul'd when Mirai got that month of suspension. Breakin the rules isn't cool, yo.

And that Sweet Potato, such a bamf. I can see why Mitsuki keeps it around.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 18:52   Link #900
Domonkazu

I don't get it about candy apple, did I miss something?
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood magic, demons, seinen, supernatural, tragic past