AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-31, 10:46   Link #361
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Wait...people were THAT upset over Hokuto?

I would've waited at least a few chapters for an explanation

Quote:
He's really not stupid for not getting the connection immediately, especially due to lack of Spirit Sight or experience with magic in general. Your childhood friend and cousin who are two completely different people at first then same person second next, is nothing nowhere close to the norm or common sense to regular guy. Even a lot of viewers didn't get at connection at first (some still don't either!) and we are omnipotent audience here. So I think people are giving him way too much of hard time for this.
Oh, I get what you're saying and you're right. Perfectly understandable on some things since he's totally new to this world...

But it's also pretteeeeeeeeeeeeeeee obvious that Touji was giving him hints on the reason why Touji and Natsume were already familar with each other. Also, considering that Natsume called Harutora, 'Bakatora'....

Hey is that Kimura as Touji? Sounds like him.
Old 2013-10-31, 11:12   Link #362
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Oh, I get what you're saying and you're right. Perfectly understandable on some things since he's totally new to this world...

But it's also pretteeeeeeeeeeeeeeee obvious that Touji was giving him hints on the reason why Touji and Natsume were already familar with each other. Also, considering that Natsume called Harutora, 'Bakatora'....
Yeah, and I'm not saying that Harutora isn't romantically dense, just more believable about it than most. To be fair, Touji was one who actually threw Harutora off the subject with that joke and Natsume had to leave afterwards setting that aside. Touji seems to indiscreetly covering for Natsume until she ready to tell Haru herself or until he discovers the truth on his own.

Quote:
Hey is that Kimura as Touji? Sounds like him.
Yep, and also Shimono Hiro is voicing Tenma. There is a lot of top tier VA in this show surprisingly.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 12:13   Link #363
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
...Hey is that Kimura as Touji? Sounds like him.
Self-serving link to my characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of all the main characters and their seiyuus.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 12:22   Link #364
Quol
That Guy

I dont get why people are THAT upset over hokuto's death, I only saw her for 2 episodes so I didnt really feel any strong connection to her, when she died i just thought "Meh...at least now everything will speed up."

Also i dont think natsume can recreate hokuto, you guys saw how beat up that shikigami paper was, if she does create a new one it would look like hokuto but wont have any memories of their time and therefore it wouldnt be "Hokuto" but something else.
Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 12:23   Link #365
Mephis
Banned

This series first had reboot of Ledo x Amy then that got destroyed totally then Hanakana stole Ledo from amy
Mephis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 13:25   Link #366
Nerroth
NePoi!

it will be interesting to see if the show introduces any characters with non-Japanese magical traditions (if any exist in this universe), or if any of the other students come from areas like Hokkaido or Okinawa (and perhaps have their own distinct crafts as a result).

I wonder - if, say, South Korea had its own magical traditions in this setting, would the Zainichi Koreans in Japan echo that tradition themselves? And would the same be true for any Zainichi Chinese in the country? (If so, would they have the means of practicing and studying their respective arts while still in Japan; or would they have to go to Seoul or Shanghai, or Hong Kong or Taipei, to do what these students are doing in Tokyo?)

On another note, from what we've seen in the series so far, K(-)on reminds me a litle bit of Caster from Fate/Extra; or at least, she seems to be drawn from a broadly similar character design template.
Old 2013-10-31, 16:15   Link #367
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quol View Post
I dont get why people are THAT upset over hokuto's death, I only saw her for 2 episodes so I didnt really feel any strong connection to her, when she died i just thought "Meh...at least now everything will speed up."

Also i dont think natsume can recreate hokuto, you guys saw how beat up that shikigami paper was, if she does create a new one it would look like hokuto but wont have any memories of their time and therefore it wouldnt be "Hokuto" but something else.
You missed the explanation Natsume gave that shikigami was a direct controled one so the operator was in direct control so if she remade it "Hokuto" would be exactly the same. But doing so isn't such a good Idea to Natsume as her main goal with Hokuto was to get Bakatora to go to the school and now that he has spirit sight it would completely blow her cover since that is how Trollji was able to figure it out in seconds of meeting her in person.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 18:08   Link #368
Tenzen12

I think Touji made connection between Natsume and Hokuto just by using head, he was able see that Hokuto was shikigami, but that's all.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 18:33   Link #369
Iron Maw
Banned

Nah, he empathized himself that his "spirit sight" allowed him to tell something was up. He figured out the rest when he saw Natsume's reaction to that statement and the ribbon. Had Touji not had that ability it would have taken him longer. You also have to remember that Touji has more knowledge about magic then Harutora is despite the later's heritage since he could see spirits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
it will be interesting to see if the show introduces any characters with non-Japanese magical traditions (if any exist in this universe), or if any of the other students come from areas like Hokkaido or Okinawa (and perhaps have their own distinct crafts as a result).

I wonder - if, say, South Korea had its own magical traditions in this setting, would the Zainichi Koreans in Japan echo that tradition themselves? And would the same be true for any Zainichi Chinese in the country? (If so, would they have the means of practicing and studying their respective arts while still in Japan; or would they have to go to Seoul or Shanghai, or Hong Kong or Taipei, to do what these students are doing in Tokyo?)
Those are very good questions, though ultimately it will depend on the scope of story if we get answers there, but since is a magic possible phenomena here I don't see why it wouldn't be the case elsewhere. We have also keep in mind too that modern Onmyodo in TR is really only possible due to Yakou's efforts. He was the one gathered the various techniques, lore, and teachings throughout Japan and refined into a all encompassing system (known as Imperial Arts) that surpassed any magic style that have came about before. This system was further refined into simpler magic system (Common Arts), essentially "watering it down" in exchange for more wide spread usage among those who have the talent for it.

So even if magic exists in those other countries it, be hard to know if it went through a similar revolution to become as influential there as it has in Japan.

Quote:
On another note, from what we've seen in the series so far, K(-)on reminds me a litle bit of Caster from Fate/Extra; or at least, she seems to be drawn from a broadly similar character design template.
You mean such as the purplish hair and turquoise eyes?

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-10-31 at 22:44.
Old 2013-10-31, 22:56   Link #370
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Those are very good questions, though ultimately it will depend on the scope of story if we get answers there, but since is a magic possible phenomena here I don't see why it wouldn't be the case elsewhere. We have also keep in mind too that modern Onmyodo in TR is really only possible due to Yakou's efforts. He was the one gathered the various techniques, lore, and teachings throughout Japan and refined into a all encompassing system (known as Imperial Arts) that surpassed any magic style that have came about before. This system was further refined into simpler magic system (Common Arts), essentially "watering it down" in exchange for more wide spread usage among those who have the talent for it.

So even if magic exists in those other countries it, be hard to know if it went through a similar revolution to become as influential there as it has in Japan.
Well, I suppose in the case of Korea, its local development might have been stunted (or forced to go underground) during the Japanese occupation, and would have had to pick up again after things settled down, relatively speaking, after the Korean War.

Similarly, it could be that different regions of China were driven down different paths due to the turmoil of the 20th century. Perhaps things are different in Taiwan than they are in mainland China?

(Plus, if there are any Western countries with their own forms of magic in this world, that could make Hong Kong or Macau two potentially interesting melting pots in that regard; with the influences of East and West coming together.)

Plus, that would still leave the question open as to what happens in Japan if any Ainu, Ryukyuan, or Zainichi Chinese or Korean individual develops some form of innate ability, yet one which (for whatever reason) may be incompatible with the "standard" practiced by the TR lead cast.

Quote:
You mean such as the purplish hair and turquoise eyes?
I meant more in the sense of her being a fox-like entity with a strongly overt degree of loyalty to her master.

(You may be thinking of Caster from Fate/Stay Night; this one is the Caster I meant.)
Old 2013-11-01, 19:14   Link #371
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Images
slightly nsfw cats
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-01, 20:54   Link #372
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
I meant more in the sense of her being a fox-like entity with a strongly overt degree of loyalty to her master.

(You may be thinking of Caster from Fate/Stay Night; this one is the Caster I meant.)
Ah gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Images
slightly nsfw cats
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
What's with it and perverted animals this season?

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-11-01 at 22:02.
Old 2013-11-02, 07:10   Link #373
EroKing

Freebies.
Old 2013-11-02, 07:20   Link #374
Ickarium

I just grabbed the one of Natsume. Thank you, I like that one.
Old 2013-11-02, 15:02   Link #375
Sakanaka Shouko

I have a liking for kitsune characters. I think i'm gonna enjoy Kon.
Old 2013-11-02, 23:32   Link #376
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I largely liked Episode 4, but some elements of it remind me of Infinite Stratos Season 1 a bit more than I'd like it to...

However, I'm fine with the Natsume/Hokuto situation. It's now very clear that Hokuto's personality was heavily, if not entirely, based on Natsume's real personality. Maybe the two aren't exactly one and the same, but current Natsume makes me think of Hokuto more than she does the Natsume of Episodes 1 or 2.

Personally, I find Natsume a generally cute and endearing character.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-11-02 at 23:42.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 02:50   Link #377
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So you mean to say that the prim and proper lady Natsume from episode 1 and 2 is actually the 'fake' personality all along?

Now that you mention it, current Natsume does act more like Hokuto. I've been under the impression that the 'natural' Natsume (I'm gonna avoid using 'real' and 'fake' now... too easily misunderstood I guess) was the ladylike acting one, but it's actually her bokuko self? Kinda weird that the rules imposed on her brought out her 'natural' personality, which is a huge departure from most other anime where rules tend to make another persona of that character, forcing them to hide their true nature. But hey, I buy it this time around.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 22:36   Link #378
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
So you mean to say that the prim and proper lady Natsume from episode 1 and 2 is actually the 'fake' personality all along?

Now that you mention it, current Natsume does act more like Hokuto. I've been under the impression that the 'natural' Natsume (I'm gonna avoid using 'real' and 'fake' now... too easily misunderstood I guess) was the ladylike acting one, but it's actually her bokuko self? Kinda weird that the rules imposed on her brought out her 'natural' personality, which is a huge departure from most other anime where rules tend to make another persona of that character, forcing them to hide their true nature. But hey, I buy it this time around.
It could also be the fact that she's now with Harutora and Touji in person. Before she could only be with them through using Hokuto, but now that they are there with her at school she's letting her true self come out.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 22:55   Link #379
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
It could also be the fact that she's now with Harutora and Touji in person. Before she could only be with them through using Hokuto, but now that they are there with her at school she's letting her true self come out.
I think she has had a tough row to hoe, having to be the perfect inheritor, with no weaknesses, aware of everything, etc. Now she has someone (two someones, I guess) to back her up and make her feel more relaxed. So her more playful and weaker side can come out. But I think both kinds of personality are really her. And maybe the commanding Natsume is yet another side to her, or at least an aspect of her personality that can come out whether she is the ojou-sama or the osananajimi.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2013-11-04 at 02:42.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 23:37   Link #380
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I think that Natsume's Hokuto-personality is her "relaxed" personality. Her prim and proper lady personality is her "guarded" personality, used to test the waters with people/situations she's not entirely comfortable with yet. I don't think it's entirely fake, but it's her in a defensive position.

It's not that "rules", per se, bring out Natsume's "relaxed" personality. It's that being with people she trusts as friends, and being with her peers in a classroom setting, brings out her relaxed personality. That's my take anyway.

Tags
action, comedy, fantasy, romance, shounen, supernatural anime