AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think is behind the mystery?
There is a rational reason behind all of this. 140 74.87%
There is definitely something supernatural at hand. 47 25.13%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-05-01, 08:00   Link #181
Morgri

Spoiler:
Morgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 08:23   Link #182
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgri
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

EDIT: More to add

Spoiler:

[/SPOILER]

Last edited by Scribble; 2006-05-01 at 08:34.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 08:29   Link #183
Morgri

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-01, 08:41   Link #184
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-01, 10:16   Link #185
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

Scribble-san! Your theories sounds so possible OwO! I had never thought of that but now that you've mentioned it...it's like "Wow! So that's it? It might really happened that way!?"
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 11:53   Link #186
Vicke

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Vicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 12:16   Link #187
Morgri

Spoiler:

Also to Scribble

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-01, 12:40   Link #188
Scribble
Sloth

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-01, 13:54   Link #189
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

May I just say, HURRAH VICTORY. Higurashi fans now have their own forum to obsess in.

Carry on.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 15:29   Link #190
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

Spoiler:
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 15:43   Link #191
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-01, 15:44   Link #192
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish Marine
Spoiler:
Just to clarify, that wasn't Tomitake's wife. Takano Miyo is assummed to be Tomitake's girlfriend.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 17:22   Link #193
Harlequin101

Spoiler:
Harlequin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 18:36   Link #194
Mr. Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin101
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Mr. Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 20:30   Link #195
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
i dunno if this has been addressed b4...but does anyone think the needle in the food that Rena gave to Keiichi might've contained some "special" chemical....that mightve made him go psycho or atleast develop more paranoia...i also say this because in ep 4 b4 Keiichi kills Mion and Rena...they try to inject his arm with some liquid....i might be completely wrong about this....but it's just a recurring thought that's been bugging me...
Crimen Scythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 21:22   Link #196
Azn_GooWakJai
Glory Raiden

Send a message via AIM to Azn_GooWakJai
Spoiler for title:
Azn_GooWakJai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 21:50   Link #197
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_GooWakJai
Spoiler for title:
Due to the shocking turn of events that happened so early in the anime, I found myself asking this very same question earlier. From what I understood from the response I got, The story will be told from various time frames also known as arcs(With all the characters alive, but beginning from a different path from the last arc. Example:What if Keichi didn't find out about the murders what would have happened then, what if Keichi didn't believe Mion and Rena were the killers.), so you can figure out what went wrong in each different arc while figuring out the clues to the puzzle that this anime is trying to get us to solve. I rather like this concept and I'm hoping this works out for the anime.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 23:30   Link #198
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
I can't explain very well without spoiling things, but for all intents and purposes, you should consider Onikakushi as a "scenario": a single possible ending in an unknown number of endings. For example, as most of you can probably tell, Onikakushi is obviously a "failed scenario" ("bad end", for all you visual novel players ).

The challenges for the viewers is to:

#1 Find out what went wrong and when things went wrong. Ask questions like: "where did things go wrong?" and "what went wrong in THIS scenario but was ok in THAT scenario?" (for example, maybe something happened in Onikakushi, which didn't in Watanagashi, and resulted in a bad development) Since we're still quite early in the game (the 2nd "chapter" hasn't even begun yet), there's no way to compare, but keep it in your mind.

#2 Learn more about the main characters. In each scenario, we will find out a little more about our main characters and the setting, and you will find clues from one chapter that'll explain something from another. (For example, by looking at the Watanagashi-hen preview screenshots, some of you suggested that since Mion appears to be working as a waitress at Angel Mort, that's how she learned about the meeting between Oishi and Keiichi during Onikakushi)

Here's an important TIP from Rena at the end of the Watanagashi-hen in the game:"ALL the characters from ALL the scenarios are the SAME people. Just because a character's (say, Rena) behaviours were totally different in two different "chapters" DOES NOT mean that he/she is a different person in those two scenarios." If the character appears to be different (for example, evil in one chapter but normal in another), then you can assume that the cause for the difference is EXTERNAL.

Eventually, after seeing enough scenarios, you might learn enough about a character's personality/position that'll help you determine whether that character's certain action in another scenario was plausible or not (Example: "since Mion was like this in (chapter name), it would make sense that she was ______ in (different chapter name)").

#3 Make determinations based on what you believe to be solid facts. This has been mentioned over and over again before, but don't believe everything you see or hear. Only accept information that you consider to be trustworthy. And you will have to base your "trustworthy" scale on what I mentioned in #2 above.

For example, a lot of you has already mentioned the possibility that many of the "information" from Onikakushi-hen were simply Keiichi's own delusions. Is there anything else? What about the things that Rena and Mion said? What about Oishi? Are they trustworthy? You'll find out more about them in subsequent chapters that'll help you make that decision.

I think I already said too much, most of these advices would probably work better until after at least two different scenarios have been aired (Onikakushi + Watanagashi).

All I can say is: just you wait until Tsumihoroboshi.

I love this anime the same way I loved watching Twin Peaks back in the early 1990s. It has become an obsession to know what’s going on, and while eagerly waiting for more episodes.

Both shows involve a male protagonist who comes to a small town and gets involved with the local mystery and the residents. Both had a supernatural angle with Oyashshiro-sama (Higurashi) and Bob the demon (TP). You had to piece the clues together, and things aren’t what they seemed.

In regards to Higurashi, want to make some observations. They maybe clues or red herrings. Just as Sushi-Y said, and KJ would probably agree:

#1 Find out what went wrong and when things went wrong.
#2 Learn more about the main characters
#3 Make determinations based on what you believe to be solid facts. This has been mentioned over and over again before, but don't believe everything you see or hear.

I am trying not to be hasty in advancing any firm hypothesis.

At the risk of violating #3, here’s what I’ve noticed for Episodes 1-4:

A-There is a pattern of alternating mood-swings between the Keiichi and the girls ( e.g. Rena and Mion). I have not seen them engaging each other simultaneously in psychosis-mode . It’s as if there is a flip flop between aggressor and victim. However there’s one exception, the scene where
Spoiler:

Evidence for psychiatric disorders, drugs, bad water, and medical conspiracy as being the prime driver of the psychosis-mode and mystery in general has been put forth in this thread. But they haven’t been totally conclusive, yet.

Trying to separate subjective reality of the characters from objective reality has been tough so far, after reading all of the posts.

B-
Spoiler:

C-
Spoiler:

D-
Spoiler:

E-Episode 4.
Spoiler:

F-Method of killing the dam workers (dismemberment, presumably by a cutting instrument) is different
Spoiler:

G-Episode 1. Game club rules. Rule#1- Aim only for first place. Club rule#2- Make every endeavor to win. Are these rules applicable to the way the large mystery is to be played out by the characters?

H-Mion is seen wearing a shoulder holster with what appears to be a gun in Episode 2 and 4.
Spoiler:

I-Keiichi’s
Spoiler:

Later in Episode 4 he also implicates
Spoiler:

J-Houjou Satoko was frightened by Keiichi swinging Satoshi’s bat. Episode 3. I was disappointed that her fears weren’t delved into, but it guess it will come later.

K- Episode 3-4.
Spoiler:

Using the characters’ subjective reality and personal point of view is problematic in determining what real solid facts are. They are evidenced by observations A, B, C, I.

So they may clue you in more about the point #1 and #2:

#1 Find out what went wrong and when things went wrong.
#2 Learn more about the main characters

More so than->
#3 Make determinations based on what you believe to be solid facts.

If there one thing that is for certain with Episodes 1-4, it is the constant fluidity of the characters and their circumstances.

Are there any other ideas or observations?
SvenTheSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 01:12   Link #199
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Also, you'll all be happy to know that we are putting up TIPS on the sticky little by little as the episode progresses. Feel free to utilize whether these TIPS will help you on your quest for solving the mystery.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-02 at 01:55.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 02:02   Link #200
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

kj, is it alright if I re-post my "TIPS comments" in this thread? I get why you want to keep that thread clean, but there's one or two things I'd like to point out for others/discuss briefly.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-05-02 at 02:17.