Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-06, 00:01   Link #81
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
I still think "The One Being Sung" sounds more...uhh..."out there" if u know wut I mean. Since many people already have the fansubs...I think it's going to take a lot of convincing to say that "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" will be the new name. -_-
Old 2006-08-06, 00:19   Link #82
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
Someone said ADV should have called it Utawa Ray Ramano, or something to that effect. I remember that I lol'd when I imagined Ray voicing Hakuoro
Ray's brother from the show, Robert, can play Benewi, and Ray's wife can be Eruuruu. Hakauro will complain often, much like Ray in the ELR show. *Hakauro in Ray's voice* Hey Eruuruu, this sandwich has too much mustard in it. And Aruuruu, stop calling me daddy. I hardly know you people. I'm just a stranger you guys found in the woods. Stop saying I'm a part of your family already. And I don't like your cat. He eats too much supplies and stinks and his fur gets all over the place. Geez, how'd we end up with that thing, anyway. We shoulda just got a dog; it is dog that is man's best friend, not 700 lb white tigers who eat too much."
Old 2006-08-06, 00:28   Link #83
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Dude, that had better be right about a mix-up. "Blade of the Pahntom Mask" or whatever is still a sucky name, but at least it would be better than "Shadow Warrior Chronicles."

And the name has a lot to do with stuff. If the name is crappy, people think "oh, the show must be crappy." It's a shallow way of thinking, but it's unfortunately true. Thankfully not for everyone, though.

I still think that the US anime companies should ask the Japanese production companies what they want their anime to be named in English if the name is ever changed. The US companies may be doing the Stateside release, but the Japanese companies are the ones who made the show and did all the real hard work.
Old 2006-08-06, 00:32   Link #84
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocrEpinS
Does any actually have an idea as to the origins of the "new" name?
I suspect they used something like this.

Seriously though, they need to put more effort intothese things. Like I said in the Utawarerumono general discussion thread earlier, the title is the first thing people look at. Giving a series a lame title means many potential buyers will just overlook it on the shelf. In most people's minds, cliched, mundane title = cliched mundane anime. They need to give it a title that will at least get people to pick up the dvd in a store and read the back.
Old 2006-08-06, 00:41   Link #85
LocrEpinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I suspect they used something like this.

Seriously though, they need to put more effort intothese things. Like I said in the Utawarerumono general discussion thread earlier, the title is the first thing people look at. Giving a series a lame title means many potential buyers will just overlook it on the shelf. In most people's minds, cliched, mundane title = cliched mundane anime. They need to give it a title that will at least get people to pick up the dvd in a store and read the back.
Oh yeah, that must've been the place they got the name from. Aren't they smart to use a online web name generator, dang why didn't i think of that.

And yeah, it's true that people would just judge the book by its cover. Infact, since they're quite alot of animes out there, i do it myself (If i came by this new name i would just dismiss it as some ordinary action anime to say the least).

Utawarerumono, even to someone who has no clue as the the meaning would still be enticing, if not to curiosity then to uniqueness.
Old 2006-08-06, 01:02   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

eh... as long as they put out a quality video and well mastered japanese soundtrack I could care less about the english dub ... besides I figure they'll rename them Mr.Mask, Eruffruff and Scruffy; and their adventures with Ovaltine, Kitty, and english track listeners will get to hear the usual line-reading blandness everyone seems resigned to.

I should admit ADV is kind of on my "special friends" list because of their manga antics. I'm happy they did AzuDa (though the VA work isn't terrible, the dialog is iffy).
Old 2006-08-06, 01:08   Link #87
Satsume
Baka Ranger Tao

Yeah, when it gets down to it, as long as the voicing is at least decent and the translation isn't COMPLETELY lost, I'm okay with the name "Shadow Warrior Chronicles." Still, the name would get a lot of viewers expecting something they might not see.. it gives me the ninja or samurai vibe, but who knows?
Old 2006-08-06, 01:57   Link #88
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsume
Yeah, when it gets down to it, as long as the voicing is at least decent and the translation isn't COMPLETELY lost, I'm okay with the name "Shadow Warrior Chronicles." Still, the name would get a lot of viewers expecting something they might not see.. it gives me the ninja or samurai vibe, but who knows?
Maybe it gives non-anime people that special feeling that they need to watch and read it the word "Shadow" and "Chronicles" I get active when I hear rare word "fraggle fraggle" for example

Well the in Utawarerumono, and "The One Being Sung," there is a similarity that I can find, since "mono" means one... but I dunno any in the licensed title -_-
Old 2006-08-06, 03:55   Link #89
Cardiac Glycoside

So Utawarerumono is licensed. Now is the beginning of our greatest fears and anxieties. Yes, there will be silly dubs. Yes, there will be silly n00bs ruining the spirit of the series. Yes, there will be transliterations that we will not be familiar with (Crow? Ultrie? Tuskur? Call your offices, please).

That is all a given. What bothers me the most is--

CONVENTIONS.

That's right, CONVENTIONS.

Utawarerumono is too good of an anime NOT to build up a following in the States. That eventually means we will have Utawarerumono fans and Utawarerumono cosplayers like--

FAT ERURUU.
FAT HAKUORO.
FAT ARURUU.
FAT BENAWI.
FAT (SCANTILY CLAD) KARURA.
FAT (HEALTHY AND BRIGHT EYED) YUZUHA.

And the list goes on.

As for fansubbing, if ANYONE has the cojones to continue fansubbing, I will pick up upon it. Even Your Mom. If they do so, I will laugh. So. Very. Hard. At. Yesy's. Face.
Old 2006-08-06, 04:12   Link #90
Fire Ice
Almost dead inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac Glycoside
So Utawarerumono is licensed. Now is the beginning of our greatest fears and anxieties. Yes, there will be silly dubs. Yes, there will be silly n00bs ruining the spirit of the series. Yes, there will be transliterations that we will not be familiar with (Crow? Ultrie? Tuskur? Call your offices, please).

CONVENTIONS.

Utawarerumono is too good of an anime NOT to build up a following in the States. That eventually means we will have Utawarerumono fans and Utawarerumono cosplayers like--

FAT ERURUU.
FAT HAKUORO.
FAT ARURUU.
FAT BENAWI.
FAT (SCANTILY CLAD) KARURA.
FAT (HEALTHY AND BRIGHT EYED) YUZUHA.

And the list goes on.

As for fansubbing, if ANYONE has the cojones to continue fansubbing, I will pick up upon it. Even Your Mom. If they do so, I will laugh. So. Very. Hard. At. Yesy's. Face.

Oh my god...Now that you mention it...Cosplayers...If I -ever- in my life time see an image that horrible, I will claw out my eyeballs, and eat them.

Anyways...I'll just watch RAWs if I cant find any fansubs...But I cannot help but wish death upon ADV for some uncontrollable reason...
Old 2006-08-06, 04:49   Link #91
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Send a message via AIM to Idle Eve Send a message via MSN to Idle Eve
Why don't they just call Utawarerumono "The Harem" and just leave it at that? Besides, I see zip logic for naming the anime Shadow Warrior Chronicles... Did they drink enough "I Am Ninja Hear Me Roar?" or did they just hire a bad translator?
Old 2006-08-06, 05:31   Link #92
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocrEpinS
Nooooo... Just heard about it being licensed 2day >_<.

This sucks bad, first they change the name, then another, much larger blow is dealt when they change the characters names (i think).

To top it off they're gonna DUB!!!! it!!!??? *@&#. I must be having a nightmare... (some1 wake me up..)

Someone plz tell me that this, and every other season is gonna have the same sieyuus? I REALLY hate english voice actors (for animes only), they just ain't cut out for animes imho, they should stick to disney cartoons ^^.

I guess i knew this was coming, with it being so popular....

(note - didn't read ALL earlier posts)
God, people, don't be so sodding retarded. I can tell you now, there will not be any changes to the character names. I've never seen ADV do this, and no respectable licensing company has done such things for years. Christ. I can't believe people still have such naive and narrow-minded viewpoints of local releases when the majority of licensing companies have been trying their best to do the right thing for so many years.

As far as the name change is concerned, this wouldn't be the first time ANN has misreported news, so I think it's best just to wait and see what ADV's final word is on the matter. "Blade of the Phantom Mask" isn't a great name, but it's a hell of an improvement on "Shadow Warrior Chronicles".
Old 2006-08-06, 05:41   Link #93
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac Glycoside

CONVENTIONS.

Shadow Warrior Chronicle is too good of an anime NOT to build up a following in the States. That eventually means we will have Shadow Warrior Chronicle fans and Shadow Warrior Chronicle cosplayers like--

FAT EDNA.
FAT HARRY.
FAT ANNA.
FAT BENNY.
FAT (SCANTILY CLAD) KARLA.
FAT (HEALTHY AND BRIGHT EYED) JANE.

And the list goes on.

Fixed.

Old 2006-08-06, 06:08   Link #94
LocrEpinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
God, people, don't be so sodding retarded. I can tell you now, there will not be any changes to the character names. I've never seen ADV do this, and no respectable licensing company has done such things for years. Christ. I can't believe people still have such naive and narrow-minded viewpoints of local releases when the majority of licensing companies have been trying their best to do the right thing for so many years.

As far as the name change is concerned, this wouldn't be the first time ANN has misreported news, so I think it's best just to wait and see what ADV's final word is on the matter. "Blade of the Phantom Mask" isn't a great name, but it's a hell of an improvement on "Shadow Warrior Chronicles".
Yeah, true. But it was quite a shock when i found out after checking animesuki for new eps, and after quickly reading the first dozen or so posts i came to that conclusion.
Plus, i only got into anime about a year ago and as long as that may seem, this is the second anime i've ever followed (as in, it was still being subbed while i was watching it), and is also the first licensed anime too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
That name "Blade of the Phantom Mask" makes me think they're referring about Hakuoro's fan (weapon on choice as i call it) lol. But i know it's something to do with his special powers etc.
Old 2006-08-06, 08:50   Link #95
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ice
Oh my god...Now that you mention it...Cosplayers...If I -ever- in my life time see an image that horrible, I will claw out my eyeballs, and eat them.
dnt be emo...instead of inflicting self harm i would just get my own back...*finds "where to buy nukes" in the yellow pages*

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-06, 09:48   Link #96
Lost

Wow.. I come back after 3 days to find UtaMono licensed. My initial feelings: no small measure of suprise (ESPECIALLY at the -strange- name), tho with a little anxiety too. Well I guess licensing is inevitable with certain series, tho I never expected it to happen so fast; and its sobering. On the whole, its good I feel, tho I guess I'll have to be more careful with my posts here now.
Old 2006-08-06, 11:21   Link #97
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Man...practically every anime I watch and about to end, it's about to become liscenced, why?!

The thing about Utawarerumono gatherings being in conventions just crack me up. It's too "untouched" for that XD (fat lady...lol!!!)
Old 2006-08-06, 11:29   Link #98
Lost

Well looking on the bright side, I cant wait to see an attractive Eruruu, TrapTwins, Aruruu, Karura cosplayer. Especially Karura, with that chain around her neck!
Old 2006-08-06, 14:28   Link #99
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think it might have something to do with the fact that most people won't be able to pronounce Utawarererumomomreomomomono. The title is confusing to me at least. But the title sounds like a lame PSP RPG name I'll agree they could have done better. It's funny because its usually Funimation that does the title renaming, but I've seen ADV do it on occasion as well.
Old 2006-08-06, 14:52   Link #100
LytHka
Banned

I've heard Americans pronouncing clean sylabbles before, they just need to practice a bit. U-TA-WA-RE-RU-MO-NO isn't rocket science to pronounce. The word is even sung in the ED.
To me, this kind of behavior towards the Japanese language and culture is plain ignorance and insolence, and it's a problem of almost the whole "off-line" American anime fanbase.
Closed Thread