Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-06-25, 12:04   Link #1
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
The Game with the best Plot~

Here a little discussion topic -- what game do you think has the best plot / story ?
Please avoid 1-liners and state why you think the plot is particulary good...

#1 - Xenogears. The story is overwhelming in this game, its really really great. It is also very long so you are bound to be busy for quite some time. At one point i was just hardcore playing it to find out what happens next. And i love the main characters personality in this game

#2 - Deus Ex. While being a first person action game, it has a great story. I never seen an ego shooter with such a great story... the conversations are great, the voice acting is great too - gotta love it.

*saves spot 3 for something worthy*
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 12:12   Link #2
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard
Here a little discussion topic -- what game do you think has the best plot / story ?
Please avoid 1-liners and state why you think the plot is particulary good...

#1 - Xenogears. The story is overwhelming in this game, its really really great. It is also very long so you are bound to be busy for quite some time. At one point i was just hardcore playing it to find out what happens next. And i love the main characters personality in this game

#2 - Deus Ex. While being a first person action game, it has a great story. I never seen an ego shooter with such a great story... the conversations are great, the voice acting is great too - gotta love it.

*saves spot 3 for something worthy*

Plancescape Torment:
The main story is awesome, and so are all the the NPC backstories. Great ending too.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 12:24   Link #3
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
well there are only 3 games so far almost maked my heart melt...

1. Freespace Series : one of the best space sim shooter ever... the Epilouge was great and the ending very heart breaking... I am so sad that by the end of the game... only about 500000 people were ever rescued... the rest... died in the supernova...

2. Halo Series : ah my favorite FPS of all time... The first game i've played w/ a outstanding plot... especially the plot on Halo 2... better than Halo itself...

3. Homeworld Series : the greatest RTS game i've ever played... the plot from HW1 to HW2 was outstanding and heart touching too... I hope the Hiigarans will now finally rest... after all those years of torturing wars...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 13:03   Link #4
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Here's a game I just beat that had a GREAT story:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Most people who have played it will tell you that it is better than both of the Star Wars prequels combined (although that's not saying much). I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, but this game......

If you like rpgs or Star Wars at all...you owe it to yourself to get this one

OH- and like somebody else mentioned, Deus Ex is pretty darn good
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 19:07   Link #5
SPINAL-BRAIN
May be a Senior Member

Quote:
Sid_Burn:

2. Halo Series : ah my favorite FPS of all time... The first game i've played w/ a outstanding plot... especially the plot on Halo 2... better than Halo itself...
I am not exactly sure what you mean by that sentance, pehaps alittle bit explanation regarding "plot on Halo 2" would get rid of my confusing...Thanks mate!

Now regarding the best plot, I will definately have to agree that Chrono Cross has the best plot I have ever seen in any games. It just so bloody well done that not a single mistake can be found...from my perspectives anyways. To me, its a hard job to fit in every details whenever one should discuss about time...'cause retaining or maintaining everything that happened in past and present are not so easy things to do...but Chrono Cross were able to do it...Check it out if you haven't played the game yet, it was one of the best game for PSX.
SPINAL-BRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 19:15   Link #6
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
The first game i've played w/ a outstanding plot... especially the plot on Halo 2... better than Halo itself...
How the heck are you playing Halo 2 already? The plot will probably be great, but until we actually play it we won't know if they drop the ball halfway through.

#1 - Xenogears. Insanely epic, think my first time through the game had run 80 hours and I still wanted more. When you think about it the story of this game begins at the Genesis of the planet and climaxes at the Apocalypse of the planet. Also one of the few rpgs where you can easily differentiate between your character at the beginning and end of the game. I mostly mean the gears, but what I mean is in the development of the plot your characters have become stronger by finding these larger more powerful gears so when it comes time for this epic battle at the end you feel you're ready. In a game like FFX you get the summons as part of the plot but that's only Yuna, there are other skills and equipment you can get but they're optional/side quests and not a part of the central plot. [spoiler]My favorite part of the plot dealt with the reincarnations of Fei and Elly and how Fei was always powerless to protect/save Elly in the past -- I'm a sucker for a good love story[spoiler]

#2 - FFX. I liked ten's plot, but I hated the linear gameplay. You start at point A you go to point B than you go to point C. It makes sense since you're seeing the world through Tidus and you're just tagging along for the ride but previous games had been more open. The plot just had plenty of memorable moments and the points where you discover new things that answer questions about the world. Why did Tidus get brought to this world? How does Auron exist in both? What happens after Yuna beats Sin, and why does Sin always return? Game had a great ending too, but with the sequel it seems that the ending loses some of its meaning.
Spoiler:

#3 - Kingdom Hearts. Okay, it's a kids game, but Squaresoft did a good job of keeping the plot interesting enough without diluting it too much for the kiddies. Yes there is gonna be a lot of talk about "hearts" and "friendship" but the plot was still very good. You have to rush around trying to save these worlds from falling to the heartless as well as find your missing friends. Some incredibly epic battles to as you fight these enormous boss monsters that tower over your character. The game managed to be faithful to both the disney crowd and the squaresoft crowd and that was quite a feat.

Debated putting FFVI in instead of #2 or #3 but it's alot older and hard to find. Also debated some FPS's like Half Life, but the plotls in FPS's usually seem poorly paced and you tend to hop around from one level to the next w/o a clear overall objective at times. Take Half Life I can't even remember the plot at the middle of the game, just that I was fighting human soldiers. First and third part were dealing w/ this invading alien nemesis and trying to close off the link that was letting them jump worlds.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 20:21   Link #7
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Umm, wasn't there already a thread about Best plot/story in which most of you guys have posted, too?

Can anyone of you recommend me a nice RPG for GBA?
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 20:29   Link #8
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Here's a game I just beat that had a GREAT story:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Most people who have played it will tell you that it is better than both of the Star Wars prequels combined (although that's not saying much). I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, but this game......

If you like rpgs or Star Wars at all...you owe it to yourself to get this one

OH- and like somebody else mentioned, Deus Ex is pretty darn good
Ah yes, KOTOR, that reminds of some other games (some also by Bioware):

Fallout (1 was slightly better than 2),
Baldur's gate (Mostly part 2. Although the main story wasn't all that great IMO some of the side-quests already had better plot than a lot of full games)
Old 2004-06-25, 20:59   Link #9
wnkryo
HainShodan

Xenogears, Metal Gear Solid for the playstation, and Final Fantasy 7. Nothing can beats those plots.

Oh and some honorable mentions are Broken sword 1 and breath of fire 3.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 21:33   Link #10
Mcdonalds

yea, i agree i loved FF7 and MGS as well. Another memorable storyline for me (dunno about others) is the starcraft/brood war campaign storyline. They could SOOOO make that into a film
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 21:51   Link #11
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
I'm not quite sure why, I mean, it's hardly perfect, but I like the plot in Grandia II.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 08:08   Link #12
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdonalds
yea, i agree i loved FF7 and MGS as well. Another memorable storyline for me (dunno about others) is the starcraft/brood war campaign storyline. They could SOOOO make that into a film
Meh, the main story in FF7 was OK but wasn't told very well... too much random combat and stuff getting in the way of the story for me, also the dialogue is usually not that great in games translated from Japanese. (At least it didn't have voice acting or that might have been dubbed as well *shivers at the very thought*)

And I'm not sure why a lot of people complained about the story in Metal Gear Solid 2, It's not like the story in the first MGS was very original or made much sense. It was just told in an interesting/cinematic way, but it certainly wasn't the greatest plot ever.

Don't get me wrong, I liked both games, but I think they were a little over-rated. (especially FF7, IMO there are better RPGs on PC, they're just not as popular because they're not as well-known.)

Starcraft with the Brood Wars expansion had a pretty solid story as well, I agree. (largely due to the great voice acting)
Old 2004-06-26, 09:56   Link #13
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Just to break the serious mood abit if yiou don;t mind.

Soldats!, The descreption is as follows....

A couple of guys decided to kill each other and you can be one of them.

!
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 11:16   Link #14
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK anime seeker
Just to break the serious mood abit if yiou don;t mind.

Soldats!, The descreption is as follows....

A couple of guys decided to kill each other and you can be one of them.

!
LOL, really? I was under the impression it's a fairly serious wargame?

Never played it though. So the story is pretty mcuh non-existent?
Old 2004-06-26, 11:25   Link #15
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
How the heck are you playing Halo 2 already? The plot will probably be great, but until we actually play it we won't know if they drop the ball halfway through.
I play Halo 2 on xbox... that's owned by my friend... not me... so... I must say that the plot on Halo 2 is much better than Halo itself...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 13:59   Link #16
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
I play Halo 2 on xbox... that's owned by my friend... not me... so... I must say that the plot on Halo 2 is much better than Halo itself...
Halo 2 isn't out yet.

So you're A) wrong or B) lying.
Old 2004-06-26, 18:24   Link #17
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

FFVI has the best plot of any game, ever. At least in my opinion it does. There was so much in the story, but it never felt like too much. Things were different and original, but they weren't too far-fetched and they were easy to understand.

Runner up I think would be Chrono Trigger. Best use of time travel in a game....or in any fictional work that I've seen for that matter. I just wish that Crono would. freaking. SAY SOMETHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
I'm not quite sure why, I mean, it's hardly perfect, but I like the plot in Grandia II.

SCC
I agree. There was something addictive in Grandia II (other than the truly awesome battle system). I think I'll go replay it again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Can anyone of you recommend me a nice RPG for GBA?
While its not exactly an RPG, I had great fun playing Fire Emblem. It's a strategy-RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics, but it had a pretty decent story I thought at least.

Last edited by Roots; 2004-06-26 at 19:19.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 19:15   Link #18
cdpinoyx01

FFVI definately had the best storyline in a final fantasy.
FFVIII was the second best storyline in the series...

Xenogears also had a good storyline ^^...

I dunno about Chrono Trigger.. never played it.
cdpinoyx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 20:23   Link #19
Shadowlord
~DESU

every Zelda game ever made, those plots may be the same, but they never get boring.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-27, 01:17   Link #20
FeiFongWong

Look at my name

Anyone wanna take a guess what my favorite game was?

#1 Xenogears : Just about everything about this game has been said, I'm also a sucker for a good love story too. All the supporting characters also have their own touching stories to tell. I liked it so much, I have a spare copy still in it's original seal.

#2 Final Fantasy VII : My first RPG played on the Playstation, this game's story really got to me. I swear, I got teary eyed during parts of the story... how old was I at the time? 12 I think.

#3 Zelda: Ocarina of Time : Even though I don't own this game, I played it on my brother's Nintendo 64, and loved it.
FeiFongWong is offline   Reply With Quote