AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note - Episode 37 Rating
Perfect 10 208 44.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 79 16.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 11.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 37 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 9 1.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 39 8.30%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-26, 20:04   Link #41
rwrxyz.123

The ending was full of symbolism.

Spoiler:

Last edited by rwrxyz.123; 2007-06-26 at 22:37.
Old 2007-06-26, 20:05   Link #42
Albert-Wesker 3rd

But he is not so innocent. He never had to kill anyone. He had the intent before the note. After he got the note, he just had the means. Had he truly been innocent, he would never have written a name, or after he killed the punk, never written in the note again. He was never a saint. He never showed remorse for ANY one he killed. I feel nothing for Light am I am glad he died.
Old 2007-06-26, 20:07   Link #43
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

A good way of putting it is saying the anime gives you more of an ending compared to the manga --- and i'll admit i seen this coming. Since the first episode, Madhouse have added some new scenes to 'complete' a few parts that were left open in the manga. Its a perfect manga adaptation with added bonus'.
Old 2007-06-26, 20:12   Link #44
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert-Wesker 3rd View Post
But he is not so innocent. He never had to kill anyone. He had the intent before the note. After he got the note, he just had the means. Had he truly been innocent, he would never have written a name, or after he killed the punk, never written in the note again. He was never a saint. He never showed remorse for ANY one he killed. I feel nothing for Light am I am glad he died.
I don't know...I personally sympathize with his original ideal and can see where he was coming from. It was an incredibly naive way of thinking, but I can see why he did what he did. Now the whole "I will become god of a new world" thing is a totally different story altogether. That's him being a bit nutty. lol. He wasn't a saint, but most people aren't.
Old 2007-06-26, 20:13   Link #45
Albert-Wesker 3rd

Anyone else think the blood gushes were a little too...dramatic is the word?

Seriously when Mikami suicided, I went WTF?
Old 2007-06-26, 20:16   Link #46
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Ending was solid. Different a little, but not in a bad way. The manga, the live-action, and this...all had their good merits.

Overall, DN had its ups and downs, but I was satisfied with its adaption. It added an extra dimension to the manga which by itself was atmospherically superb with Obata's amazingly well-used tone of black constrast of white...better than his current Ral Grado, to say the least.

As an ending to the anime...I'd say it works good. In the end, the animation brings us back to the beginning of everything, from the sunlight, Light walking slowly as he sees the past him prior to obtaining the DN... as one person once said, everything goes back to their roots in the end, no matter how far up one climbs. In the end, Light was shown to be powerless and his result was such.

Light began with nothing as nothing at all...and in the end, he too returns to nothingness with absolutely nothing as well. The anime brings it to a more "circled" execution, and it shows.

The manga was more WTFBBQ in some of its executions, but I'm not going to complain. It's not like the story was completely revamped...say, FMA. It just took a slightly different approach to a more melancholic tone.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-06-26, 20:19   Link #47
Albert-Wesker 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
I don't know...I personally sympathize with his original ideal and can see where he was coming from. It was an incredibly naive way of thinking, but I can see why he did what he did. Now the whole "I will become god of a new world" thing is a totally different story altogether. That's him being a bit nutty. lol. He wasn't a saint, but most people aren't.
I never hated him at first. But the best intentions can have the worst effects.

I can tell you the exact moment I started to hate him. And believe it or not, it is not L's death. I really did not care about him.

It was Ray Penbars. The way he tricked him, promised that if he did what he was told he would not kill him and then did. I hated Light after that. Then when he killed his Fiance that threw me over the edge. I was hoping that L would kill Light just to see if the killings would stop. Ray is what got me and his fiance threw me over the edge. Those two are the two characters in the entire story that I only truly felt bad about. I mean when his father died, L, Watari, and the other innocents(Cops and reporters) I was sad, but by that point I was, how you say, already imune to innnocents getting killed.

One thing that also bothered me was the US's reaction. Thirteen U.S. citizens die, twelve being FBI and one ex-FBI and they quit investigations. I would think that in real life had this happened, the U.S. would have sent Federal Secret Service or CIA after Kira.
Old 2007-06-26, 21:34   Link #48
kauldron26
Med Student

so we are supposed to feel sympathetic to a mass murderer who made genocide his hobby and life long goal. The ending of the manga was better, Light should be portrayed as a pathetic piece of trash... not a fallen hero. I loved how the manga ending had Light begging and pleading for his life... i love how he author showed that Karma was a bitch to the core. a tough bitch. but fair as hell. ~sigh~ remember that he is evil... we all love tony soprano and vic mackey but c'mon those mudafuckas are horrible people and Karma shoulda bit them in the ass. The same goes for light...
Old 2007-06-26, 21:47   Link #49
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I really don't think the anime portrays Light as a fallen hero or anything ridiculous like that. He still begs Mikami, Misa, Takada, anyone. He still ends up totally disillusioned. Moreover, the voice acting had a HUGE impact in this episode. Miyano's broken laughter, screams & wails brought out Light's patheticness just as strongly as the more extended dialogue in the manga.
Old 2007-06-26, 22:06   Link #50
StrawHatLuffy
L Lawliet

Hmm... I'd have preferred if they had shown the more dramatic ending in the manga. At least the anime had been a rather faithful adaptation.
Old 2007-06-26, 22:19   Link #51
Boris Moskovitz
(-.-)

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
I think I felt a little something back there. Can't believe I nearly cried for this asshole.

Anyway, here's a little something for you guys. Don't check it unless you've seen the episode.
Spoiler:

...And thus, from the beginning to the end, Mikami was the true personification of the word EPIC.
Old 2007-06-26, 22:19   Link #52
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
I wish he was sucessful and created the 'new world'. I really like how twisted his justice(like me).
Old 2007-06-26, 22:27   Link #53
kauldron26
Med Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
I wish he was sucessful and created the 'new world'. I really like how twisted his justice(like me).
so im assuming u like folks like Jim Jones and Idi Amin. their justice was pretty similar to light. They believed in their justice and thought they were doing the right thing.... right?? what exactly is the difference between Jim Jones and Light?? or Amin?
Old 2007-06-26, 22:35   Link #54
zalem

These are fictional characters. No one is talking about what they would think if he was a real person. Sometimes, you just happen to like a fictional character that's a villain and would like to see something other than the typical "good guy wins" scenario. That's all. Really, I think you need to just agree to disagree on this one. ^^;;; You hate Light. Fine. But other people don't.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Light win, but I knew that wasn't going to happen because it would totally defeat the purpose of the story.
Old 2007-06-26, 22:49   Link #55
Shinmaru

Send a message via AIM to Shinmaru Send a message via MSN to Shinmaru Send a message via Yahoo to Shinmaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
so we are supposed to feel sympathetic to a mass murderer who made genocide his hobby and life long goal. The ending of the manga was better, Light should be portrayed as a pathetic piece of trash... not a fallen hero. I loved how the manga ending had Light begging and pleading for his life... i love how he author showed that Karma was a bitch to the core. a tough bitch. but fair as hell. ~sigh~ remember that he is evil... we all love tony soprano and vic mackey but c'mon those mudafuckas are horrible people and Karma shoulda bit them in the ass. The same goes for light...
I don't think Light is portrayed as a fallen hero at all. He dies broken, alone, and, judging from the look on his face at death, completely aware of what a horrible waste his years with the Death Note were. The ending did a great job of presenting Light as a pathetic, tragic character - he could've been a truly great man but instead chose to become an inhuman monster under the guise of "good," only regaining some semblance of what made him human in the first place in the throes of his inevitable death, away from the Death Note.

What Light did was evil, and that evil destroyed him. Kira, an immensely popular figure the world over, died with a whimper in an old, rundown warehouse. He definitely did not die a hero's death.
Old 2007-06-26, 23:06   Link #56
Boris Moskovitz
(-.-)

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Quote:
he could've been a truly great man but instead chose to become an inhuman monster under the guise of "good"
While I'm definitely agreeing on how Light wasn't exactly the nicest person in the world over the course of Death Note, I wouldn't really say he actively "chose" to become "evil". It's not like he woke up in the morning, thinking "Hmmm... I think I'm gonna become a mass murderer!" His descent as a human being was very much a gradual process, and not one that he was especially aware of until it was too late.
Old 2007-06-26, 23:30   Link #57
-Breakthrough-

I must say~
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-26, 23:44   Link #58
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

Sigh, that's the end of DN... Gotta wait for the L movie next yr to have my "DN fix"...Sigh...
Old 2007-06-27, 00:05   Link #59
philmein

What "L movie"?
Old 2007-06-27, 00:14   Link #60
zalem

This L movie:
http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/L-movie/

It's supposed to be a prequel story about L...so there's actually nothing about the Death Note in it.