Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-10-17, 01:21   Link #1181
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
That is why I think her geass would soothe the mind (relax the mind). It would be good for people that are in depression. Shirley kind of gives this aura where she wants people to be happy in general that is why I think her geass would be what I mention above. Who doesn't want a geass that would lessen a person's troubles.
True, that would be a good geass to have. Except she can already do that without a geass. The charm and appeal of our beautiful princess can brighten anyone's day
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 02:19   Link #1182
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
True, that would be a good geass to have. Except she can already do that without a geass. The charm and appeal of our beautiful princess can brighten anyone's day
Well, she does have that cheerful aura which influences people around her...

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 02:31   Link #1183
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Well, she does have that cheerful aura which influences people around her...
Notice how Lelouch tends to be more pleasant and carefree when she's around (aside from the tragic scenes, I mean )
Old 2009-10-17, 02:48   Link #1184
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Notice how Lelouch tends to be more pleasant and carefree when she's around (aside from the tragic scenes, I mean )
Yes, he actually SMILES when he is around her, and not a diabolic-you-just-got-pawned way, but in a carefree way. Which is nice. Too bad half of the memorable scenes they had together was just plain tragic.

Old 2009-10-17, 03:55   Link #1185
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

@Nobodyman9: Didn't see your review for my little snippet. It's based on your sig, but I broke the pic down into two actions.
Old 2009-10-17, 05:49   Link #1186
peekaydee
Banned

Quote:
Yes, he actually SMILES when he is around her, and not a diabolic-you-just-got-pawned way, but in a carefree way. Which is nice. Too bad half of the memorable scenes they had together was just plain tragic.
Well, why would he be that way around Shirley and generally school? The guys is trying to keep it down low as a normal student. If he started making fabulous Zero hands move, even the stoners would get it was him.
Not trying to say, that Shirley does not bring up from inside of him, a "nicer" Lelouch (along the lines he said in end of Stage 14 too)because she does, but that example was kinda wrong, lol.
peekaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 12:00   Link #1187
Sol Falling

I was reading through the script of Turn 21 again recently, and one particular remark caught my eye: I don't seem to have picked this up the first time I watched the episode, but C.C. refers to the World of C explicitly as a 'sea of reincarnation' (as in, not just memories, souls, etc.). So I guess I'm going to have to level up my acceptance for the 'reincarnation' theme yet another time: in a rather technical sense, it seems that Shirley and Lelouch really did come together again in reincarnated form.

Speaking of what Shirley truly desires/embodies, and how that could be represented by a Geass...my previous suggestion was a 'sleep' geass enabling Shirley to put an end to conflicts, but thinking now, I don't think that really encompasses the full extent of Shirley's character.

In terms of some Shirley related words or concepts: let's see, we've got stuff like 'wish', 'tomorrow (dawn, sunny skies after rain)', 'reincarnation', 'truth', 'love (is power)', 'happiness', and 'forgiveness' (though I think this one is pretty minor). As for representing some of these as a geass...well, I think some of them would somewhat resemble other geasses, like for example Nunally's 'future' geass for 'tomorrow', or Marianne's 'soul' geass for 'reincarnation'. 'Truth' is also pretty simple, and would probably be a somewhat modified form of Mao's strategically. I do actually think Nunally or Marianne's geass would somewhat fit, but real geass I'd like to envision would be a 'wish' geass. On a conceptual level, this is what Lelouch considered geass to be in the final episode; however, conceptual or not, the material truth of the matter remained that Lelouch's geass was the power of 'command' or 'obedience'. So I think it'd be really cool if Shirley could have a geass that embodied the 'wish' idea directly, however it is expressed. The major thought obstacle I am encountering, though, is that if we took the basic effect of wish to be 'get other people to do what you want them to', then, however different it'd be conceptually, in effect it would be basically the same as Lelouch's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekaydee View Post
Well, why would he be that way around Shirley and generally school? The guys is trying to keep it down low as a normal student. If he started making fabulous Zero hands move, even the stoners would get it was him.
Not trying to say, that Shirley does not bring up from inside of him, a "nicer" Lelouch (along the lines he said in end of Stage 14 too)because she does, but that example was kinda wrong, lol.
That really isn't the point. The reason Lelouch doesn't wave his hands around dramatically at school isn't because he's trying to hide his identity, it's because there really aren't any kinds of situations that would make him feel like doing that in the first place.

Lelouch's fake happy smile at Viletta and Rolo (Turn 2) is an example of him keeping his cover. Lelouch's distracted but natural smile (in Turn 3's cooking scene) is an example of Lelouch genuinely finding the situation amusing.

The person that Shirley brings up from inside him isn't a 'nicer' Lelouch, it is one that actually knows how to be happy.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 12:05   Link #1188
peekaydee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Lelouch's fake happy smile at Viletta and Rolo (Turn 2) is an example of him keeping his cover. Lelouch's distracted but natural smile (in Turn 3's cooking scene) is an example of Lelouch genuinely finding the situation amusing.

The person that Shirley brings up from inside him isn't a 'nicer' Lelouch, it is one that actually knows how to be happy.
Dude, i meant that too.
But Lelouch's real chara is not that of a happy person or anything, like he said to C.C. he was "dead" before he got the Geass power, to accomplish of what he thought his goal in life. He is mostly a broody-"sure"-person. But rationally, he would form close friendships with the guys in Ashford and would have fun with those people. Shirley included.
I do not really get, how you are really saying something different than what i said.
Old 2009-10-17, 12:26   Link #1189
Sol Falling

I don't really get why you called Paladinoras' statement 'kinda wrong'. Lelouch's 'real' character might not be a cheerful happy person, but this doesn't mean that every time Lelouch seems like he's enjoying his normal life, it's actually fake. Lelouch's normal life does make him happy (not all of the time, but still often enough); he just hadn't realized that at the time he made that comment to C.C..
Old 2009-10-17, 13:47   Link #1190
peekaydee
Banned

Quote:
I don't really get why you called Paladinoras' statement 'kinda wrong'. Lelouch's 'real' character might not be a cheerful happy person, but this doesn't mean that every time Lelouch seems like he's enjoying his normal life, it's actually fake. Lelouch's normal life does make him happy (not all of the time, but still often enough); he just hadn't realized that at the time he made that comment to C.C..
Because it made it seem like Lelouch not being "pwned" towards Shirley (or anyone per se in the school) is actually being initiated by her, or someone else. Like, Lelouch's default setting is "pwned". Which is not, this is what i pointed out.
Also, i never said that Lelouch is being fake or anything at school, i said the opposite. Honestly, do you read my posts, or you just nitpick one line and that's it?
Old 2009-10-17, 19:58   Link #1191
Sol Falling

What did you point out? The fact is, Lelouch smiling/laughing around Shirley is initiated by her: as you yourself noted, Lelouch used to think that in his normal life he was 'dead'. 'Brooding emo dude who only laughs when he's destroying Britannia' is Lelouch's default setting--Shirley's presence in his everyday life was a direct cause of Lelouch being able to smile and laugh like he actually meant it.
Old 2009-10-18, 02:59   Link #1192
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
@Nobodyman9: Didn't see your review for my little snippet. It's based on your sig, but I broke the pic down into two actions.
Well, the reason you didn't see my review for your snippet was because I didn't write one Yeah, sorry for the delayed review, but yes, it was great as always. Definitely a worthy adaptation of my sig. Very heartwarming

Anyway, yeah, Shirley definitely had a positive effect on Lelouch which he eventually realized. He even admitted himself at the end of Stage 14 how he never realized hom much her smile brightened up his day (or something to that effect)
Old 2009-10-18, 06:25   Link #1193
Betteroffer

Quote:
Anyway, yeah, Shirley definitely had a positive effect on Lelouch which he eventually realized. He even admitted himself at the end of Stage 14 how he never realized hom much her smile brightened up his day (or something to that effect)
In the dub at least, it goes something like "I never realized...just how many times her smile saved me."

As for a Geass, the thing we need to remember is that kind and innocent desires can have frightening manifestations. Mao presumably was a frightened child who desired to understand other people, so he could make them like him. His Geass let him invade people's minds and expose their innermost secrets and fears. Similarly, Lelouch implies in Turn 25 that the manifestation of his own Geass may have been due to a desire for other people to help him, and for him to not be alone and have to shoulder everything by himself, rather than a representation of his desire to decieve and attain power, and of course C.C.'s desire to be loved forced people into mental subjugation.

As such, Shirley's desires for things like being the only thing truthful to Lelouch, for there to be no fighting, and for Lelouch to notice her, could have manifestations like forcing people to always lie, not be able to fight or even disagree and become compliant in everything others say like sheep, or to make others unable to stop thinking about her. If Shirley's desire was to help and motivate people, then she could get a Geass that inspires people to be positive and more active. An effect like this does seem very positive, but it is still mentally forcing people to act in ways that they might not normally act.

This isn't to say Shirley's desires make her a bad person, just that Geass seems to have a certain "Monkey's Paw" vibe going for it for most of the people who get it.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 06:41   Link #1194
peekaydee
Banned

Quote:
What did you point out? The fact is, Lelouch smiling/laughing around Shirley is initiated by her: as you yourself noted, Lelouch used to think that in his normal life he was 'dead'. 'Brooding emo dude who only laughs when he's destroying Britannia' is Lelouch's default setting--Shirley's presence in his everyday life was a direct cause of Lelouch being able to smile and laugh like he actually meant it.
Yeah ok, and now you feel like discovering America? I pretty much said the same you know, only you were too quick to jump in the gun cause i have a Kallen icon or idk what.
The only thing i disagreed, is that someone said that "Lelouch is not pwned you around her" which is BULL, because Lelouch has NO reason to be like that around her. That's all i said.

""

p.s and then you wonder why certain fanbases got a "bad" name. It will either be bad-nasty rep, or ironic-nitpick. I am outta this thread.
Old 2009-10-18, 08:25   Link #1195
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Well, the reason you didn't see my review for your snippet was because I didn't write one Yeah, sorry for the delayed review, but yes, it was great as always. Definitely a worthy adaptation of my sig. Very heartwarming

Had to break it up because I couldn't find a happy scenario which warranted the sig to be used in one shot. Also, judging by your second part, I am putting the girl through the grinder again.
Old 2009-10-18, 13:33   Link #1196
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekaydee View Post
Yeah ok, and now you feel like discovering America? I pretty much said the same you know, only you were too quick to jump in the gun cause i have a Kallen icon or idk what.
The only thing i disagreed, is that someone said that "Lelouch is not pwned you around her" which is BULL, because Lelouch has NO reason to be like that around her. That's all i said.

""

p.s and then you wonder why certain fanbases got a "bad" name. It will either be bad-nasty rep, or ironic-nitpick. I am outta this thread.
All right let's back up here. This whole thing started because you, peekaydee, thought that it was inaccurate for Paladinoras to say that Lelouch smiled and not in a "you-just-got-pwned-way." And you think it's inaccurate because he would have no reason to smile in a you-got-pwned-way at Ashford. And I'll agree with you on that. However, I don't think Paladinoras expected it to be taken seriously. I think he/she just said that because that seems to be the only other way that we see Lelouch smile in the show (aside from when he's with Nunnally I guess) so he/she was just being silly. Plus, you know, the you-just-got-pwned smile is probably the only other genuine smile Lelouch has in the show. Does that make sense?

p.s. I wasn't aware that Shirlulu had an overall bad name.
Old 2009-10-18, 23:33   Link #1197
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
All right let's back up here. This whole thing started because you, peekaydee, thought that it was inaccurate for Paladinoras to say that Lelouch smiled and not in a "you-just-got-pwned-way." And you think it's inaccurate because he would have no reason to smile in a you-got-pwned-way at Ashford. And I'll agree with you on that. However, I don't think Paladinoras expected it to be taken seriously. I think he/she just said that because that seems to be the only other way that we see Lelouch smile in the show (aside from when he's with Nunnally I guess) so he/she was just being silly. Plus, you know, the you-just-got-pwned smile is probably the only other genuine smile Lelouch has in the show. Does that make sense?

p.s. I wasn't aware that Shirlulu had an overall bad name.
Pretty much, what I meant was that he could smile normally. He had that different persona in Ashford, where he seems carefree and normal, but we all know that is not how he really is. His default mood is to brood and plan how to overthrow his father. But when he is with Shirley, he still smiles irregardless of his persona, he smiles not because he wants to maintain that persona, but simply cause he feels happy.

Old 2009-10-18, 23:43   Link #1198
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Pretty much, what I meant was that he could smile normally. He had that different persona in Ashford, where he seems carefree and normal, but we all know that is not how he really is. His default mood is to brood and plan how to overthrow his father. But when he is with Shirley, he still smiles irregardless of his persona, he smiles not because he wants to maintain that persona, but simply cause he feels happy.
And I think that we can all agree on

BTW, stop saying "irregardless" or I'm going to have to slap you silly.
Old 2009-10-19, 00:35   Link #1199
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Going back to your sig pic, that is a smile he can only flash at two girls: Nunnally, and Shirley.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:08   Link #1200
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
And I think that we can all agree on

BTW, stop saying "irregardless" or I'm going to have to slap you silly.
What is so wrong with the word irregardless????