AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-02-19, 04:11   Link #1761
Zeydra
A random passerby

Lacklustre grunts or not I absolutely loved that seven minutes. After not seeing the Sinanju do anything for basically two episodes I loved seeing it back in action again.
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 21:20   Link #1762
John117xCortana

Whoa.....the music really fits the mood.

Why didn't Full Frontal target the mobile suit escape pod though ?

Last edited by John117xCortana; 2013-02-19 at 21:31.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 22:57   Link #1763
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
Whoa.....the music really fits the mood.

Why didn't Full Frontal target the mobile suit escape pod though ?
Probably to get on Banagher's good side, by disabling the enemy yet not killing them he tries to show Banagher that he can be a valuable and trustworthy ally. All for the sake of Laplace's Box.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 23:11   Link #1764
John117xCortana

He didn't show any restrain on the General Revil though. He didn't target the turrets. He hit the hull.

I think this is the first time we've seen grunt mobile suits use the escape vehicles. Outside of the manga MSG: Thunderbolt.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 23:45   Link #1765
Skye629

Quote:
He didn't show any restrain on the General Revil though. He didn't target the turrets. He hit the hull.

I think this is the first time we've seen grunt mobile suits use the escape vehicles. Outside of the manga MSG: Thunderbolt.
I believe there were some cases of this in Zeta and ZZ, though Im not willing to watch the whole series again just to check
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 23:50   Link #1766
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:

Well I imagine Full Frontal was fully aware of the capabilities of the GR, including its impenetrable armor. So hitting the hull won't cause much damage either.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 12:43   Link #1767
gordol
Banned

Spoiler for ova 6 spoilers:
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 12:54   Link #1768
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Are those legit spoilers or did you copy and paste them from the mecha boards? Might as well give my two cents:

-eps 1-3: Kind of good, hype seems vastly overblown, nice battle sequences.
-ep 4: I enjoyed it quite a lot, although I see the same in very few people out of lack of "development". Wasn't that what the first three eps and a good chunk of the middle of this ep were for?
-ep 5: Step back, the Banshee having a shoving contest with Unicorn and the five minutes were the only real high points, not sure why this gets so much praise.

Only thing I'm hoping for is that Banshee Norn will do something. Even if it does not there is still Rozen Zulu.

-Overall: Very pretty anime to look at, hype n praise seems overblown, I don't care for the OST, and it has very well done action sequences.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 13:01   Link #1769
gordol
Banned

Spoiler for new ms:
Old 2013-02-25, 13:43   Link #1770
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
Spoiler for new ms:
Do you have any sources for that? because it sounds like hear-say, specially the part about it having no legs
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 20:10   Link #1771
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I guess the best way to find out is to wait a week and hit up the PSN for the episode. We'll chat then
Old 2013-02-25, 21:22   Link #1772
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
although I see the same in very few people out of lack of "development". Wasn't that what the first three eps and a good chunk of the middle of this ep were for?
In episode 4, there’s basically no development whatsoever between Loni and Banagher characters before their final showdown (they barely interact), which makes the final battle really lacking in emotional department. Two characters who just met and barely interact suddenly talk and argue like pals is really jarring no matter how you put it. And no, episode 1-3 adds nothing to the said lack of development in episode 4. Plus, some aspects of the episode are rushed (eg. Dakar battle) and some are drawn out (eg. Zinnerman & Banagher’s scene in the desert). So yeah, bad pacing too imo.
Old 2013-02-25, 23:47   Link #1773
Sumeragi
Banned

What's amazing is how they managed to make such a high-quality series DESPITE the butchering of the pacing. It's very difficult to pull it off, no matter how much time and money you throw around.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 00:22   Link #1774
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
Spoiler for ova 6 spoilers:
Well guess we will see in a week or so, though the ending seems to make sense, cuz as of now they have only announced HGUC kits for the FA and Norn in Unicorn modes, probably hyping us for the Destroy modes in UC7, DAMN YOU BANDAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
In episode 4, there’s basically no development whatsoever between Loni and Banagher characters before their final showdown (they barely interact), which makes the final battle really lacking in emotional department. Two characters who just met and barely interact suddenly talk and argue like pals is really jarring no matter how you put it. And no, episode 1-3 adds nothing to the said lack of development in episode 4. Plus, some aspects of the episode are rushed (eg. Dakar battle) and some are drawn out (eg. Zinnerman & Banagher’s scene in the desert). So yeah, bad pacing too imo.
But I liked the desert scene it was nice and down to earth (otherwise 4 was meh, except for the amazing grunt battles, Byarlant custom, and soundtrack

For earlier comments, I agree 2 and 3 did not have much besides the fighting sequences

1 on the other hand I believe did everything the pilot episode should have done, it was perfect imo

4 and 5 is meh once again besides some of the action (even then some of it was lame)

6 though is looking really up atm, I cant wait
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 00:34   Link #1775
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
But I liked the desert scene it was nice and down to earth (otherwise 4 was meh, except for the amazing grunt battles, Byarlant custom, and soundtrack.
I’m not saying the scene itself is bad or that I hate it per-se. It’s just, if that desert scene can be that long, why not appropriately share the screentime with other scenes that really need it? For example, the Dakar battle feels like an afterthought due to the rush-ness. Plus, Loni & Banagher interaction pre-final battle is near non-existent. They really need more screentime. That’s why I said eps 4 has bad pacing.
Old 2013-02-26, 07:59   Link #1776
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I’m not saying the scene itself is bad or that I hate it per-se. It’s just, if that desert scene can be that long, why not appropriately share the screentime with other scenes that really need it? For example, the Dakar battle feels like an afterthought due to the rush-ness. Plus, Loni & Banagher interaction pre-final battle is near non-existent. They really need more screentime. That’s why I said eps 4 has bad pacing.
The Dakar battle is not an important plot point as far as characterisations go, cos it was just a diversion so that the Garencieres could land undetected, so the scene was purely mecha fan service.

IMO the desert scene is important because it deals with Banagher and Zinnerman's own world view and how that helps develop their relationship and understanding of each other and this foreshadows their clash in ideals later on. I thought it was quite well done.

But I agree Loni x Banagher was mediocre and unconvincing. Although I'd rationalise that she only serves to demonstrate the harshness of war and to a greater extent the aftermath thereof. The people who got left behind were consumed with the desire to seek revenge, and Loni was one of the many such characters Banagher would come across in his quest.

In other words Episode 4 was not about Loni, but about Banagher getting to know the "real world" up close and personal. Even though there may not be enough emotional development between the two to justify the whole exchange in the final act, I'd say Banagher is compassionate enough, evidenced by the desert scene, to care greatly about those he doesn't even know very well.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 08:09   Link #1777
gordol
Banned

First look at Frontal's new MS/MA for OVA 7: the black silhouette on the paper written TOP SECRET

Old 2013-02-26, 08:23   Link #1778
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
IMO the desert scene is important because it deals with Banagher and Zinnerman's own world view and how that helps develop their relationship and understanding of each other and this foreshadows their clash in ideals later on. I thought it was quite well done.
Once again, I never said in my post that the desert scene is unimportant. I know it is. Still, it's a bit too long IMO considering that the screentime can be allocated to other important events.
Old 2013-02-26, 09:02   Link #1779
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
which makes the final battle really lacking in emotional department.
That's it? Then again I don't watch things for emotional reasons.
Quote:
Two characters who just met and barely interact suddenly talk and argue like pals is really jarring no matter how you put it.
It seemed reasonable to me: One guy that doesn't want to hurt anybody has to take out someone he believe he could save. It's not the first time a Gundam anything did this.
Quote:
In other words Episode 4 was not about Loni, but about Banagher getting to know the "real world" up close and personal. Even though there may not be enough emotional development between the two to justify the whole exchange in the final act, I'd say Banagher is compassionate enough, evidenced by the desert scene, to care greatly about those he doesn't even know very well.
Pretty much this, I don't see why this is so difficult for people to understand.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 09:17   Link #1780
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
That's it? Then again I don't watch things for emotional reasons.
I watch shows and movies for entertainment, and part of it was emotional investment to characters and events. That’s something many people want out of a good show. For example, the Terminator in T2 won't be that great of a character without its chemistry with John Connor and the emotional parting at the end.

Quote:
It seemed reasonable to me: One guy that doesn't want to hurt anybody has to take out someone he believe he could save. It's not the first time a Gundam anything did this.
You miss my point. It’s not the “one guy that doesn't want to hurt anybody has to take out someone he believe he could save” that I found jarring, but their talking like pals despite barely know/interact to each other.

Quote:
Pretty much this, I don't see why this is so difficult for people to understand.
Pretty much this too. I never said that episode 4 should be about Loni (who said that?). Why can’t people understand?