AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-26, 17:49   Link #681
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
But NO!! Haruhi's world was much more "fun." So he takes away Yuki-chan's right to have a heart; to laugh, to cry, to love and to feel, just so everything can be more fun.
Jeez.

Kyon made the only right choice. Not just for himself, but for humanity. It's not like this was a choice between two equally "valid" worlds - on was (as far as we - and Kyon- knows, anyway) the real world, the original world. The other, an altered reality that changed the lives of probably hundreds; possibly millions of people - and not for the sake of the betterment of their lives, but for the sake of making the entire fucking universe meet the desires of one person. No one has the right to do that, and yes; Yuki's act was selfish in the extreme.

So - Kyon's action was not merely to pick the reality that was the "most fun", or the most convenient, but to set things right. Though his motives may not have been so noble as that, his course of action was the right one. The only right one.
Old 2011-04-26, 17:49   Link #682
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
I call it genocide because that's what it might as well be. For some of the special people, their identity is tied up entirely in their role, especially in the case of Yuki's group. Once they lose their jobs, they lose who they are. A change that drastic, resulting in different friends, different skill sets, and different memories, makes someone a completely different person. It would be like someone telling me, "Okay, your name is now Bob, you're a garbageman, and by the way, this is your new past. Your old past is gone forever." They've just killed off who I am.
How does this explanation justify your claim that KYON committed an act of genocide, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Also, don't forget that this is a world with a concrete future (as evidenced by the time travelers' presence and duties), meaning that Yuki's change precludes the existence of people that, in the old world, were very real. It's one thing for us to make one decision over another, precluding one future or another, because our future remains hypothetical. The people in the future, to the best of our knowledge, DON'T exist. In the Haruhi universe, however, the future is very strongly defined. People may live a year, ten years, a century in the future, but they do exist. They're more than a hypothesis or a chance possibility. By altering the world and altering that future, Yuki HAS essentially killed off all the people that now will never come into being.
If we're really going to throw the "concrete future" card out there, Nagato knew three years in advance what she would do, what "choice" Kyon would make, and how his mission would turn out. The ultimate outcome of everything that transpired in this story was inevitable since before the start of the series. The only people who were "killed" were the people of the "Yukiverse," who never had a future in the first place, because again, the future is set in stone according to that theory.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2011-04-26, 18:43   Link #683
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
How does this explanation justify your claim that KYON committed an act of genocide, exactly?
I don't believe I said Kyon was responsible for it. I just said he had to pick between two equally nasty options (destroying the original world, or destroying the new one). Yuki's the one that gets full blame.

Quote:
If we're really going to throw the "concrete future" card out there, Nagato knew three years in advance what she would do, what "choice" Kyon would make, and how his mission would turn out. The ultimate outcome of everything that transpired in this story was inevitable since before the start of the series. The only people who were "killed" were the people of the "Yukiverse," who never had a future in the first place, because again, the future is set in stone according to that theory.
I can't argue with that. Just remember that my argument was concerning the original change, though, not Kyon's reversion.
Old 2011-04-26, 18:55   Link #684
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All things that deal with time travel or the future depend greatly on ones impression of it.

However, in our terms, you cannot kill anyone in the future from the present because of a choice or a change because you can't kill something that doesn't exist. Despite Mikuru's explainations, the future is always in motion. We have seen that choices can be made and time altered, thus the future is not fixed. Thus you have Mikuru's people...what are they doing? Mikuru herself shouldn't be there at all, but she is...times two. Kyon shouldn't be able to go back in time, yet he does. Two weeks shouldn't be able to repeated, with variances, at all, yet they did....15,532 times. Even in a closed time loop it is possible for the instances to change, thus time is not fixed, no matter what Mikuru's people claim.
Old 2011-05-01, 05:37   Link #685
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
All things that deal with time travel or the future depend greatly on ones impression of it.

However, in our terms, you cannot kill anyone in the future from the present because of a choice or a change because you can't kill something that doesn't exist. Despite Mikuru's explainations, the future is always in motion. We have seen that choices can be made and time altered, thus the future is not fixed. Thus you have Mikuru's people...what are they doing? Mikuru herself shouldn't be there at all, but she is...times two. Kyon shouldn't be able to go back in time, yet he does. Two weeks shouldn't be able to repeated, with variances, at all, yet they did....15,532 times. Even in a closed time loop it is possible for the instances to change, thus time is not fixed, no matter what Mikuru's people claim.
Mikuru's people most definitely DON'T think the future is fixed. Otherwise they wouldn't have been so damn careful about doing what they do.

The entire purpose of the time travellers going to the past was to protect their own future. Yes, it is true that the future haven't permanently changed "yet", but it is obvious that adult Mikuru is spending her working life dedicated to timeline consistency. If future was truly fixed and eternal, she wouldn't need to work so hard. In fact, she wouldn't need to do anything at all.

One could argue the future isn't so much fixed as being held in place. The time travellers have been building scaffolds and placing sandbags around the timeline to stop the future changing. Because if the future truly changed, it would be too late to do anything about it.
Old 2011-05-03, 02:00   Link #686
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Imagine if the timeline was changed so that you were a completely different person. Your memories are all a lie, and worst yet you'd never know it happened.

I guess it "doesn't matter" since to the new "you" nothing actually happens. But hey, it's the lives of everyone in existence, and usually the decision is too big for someone to make for all of them. Unless of course, it was something like earth blowing up... But usually, you don't want to fiddle with these things.

Kyon did have his reasons.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-10, 09:56   Link #687
wistfulloner

Haha, I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. There wasn't any genocide at all, in the strictest sense of the word. People from the old world still existed in the new one by Yuki, no one disappeared, no one died. As far as Yuki was concerned, what needed to be changed was the students' memories and positions in society, nothing more. It'd be a bit extreme to call it genocide.

Furthermore, those changed weren't even aware of it. For all you know, those of the old world weren't destroyed at all, they may still be living happily in the backup program created by Yuki, waiting to be reactivated by Kyon.

Unless you want to discuss the philosophical meaning behind creating a new world then deleting its inhabitants and its equation to genocide, its would be safe to say no one was physically harmed in The Disappearance. (Except kyon perhaps; poor guy, his life is pushed around by the women around him)
Old 2011-05-10, 10:18   Link #688
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Well, Asakura died. Again. Sort of. Hard to say with her, really.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2011-05-10, 11:08   Link #689
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since she appeared again, I'd say that Yuki just converted her to raw data the first time around, since their people can't create data, it makes sense that they cannot destroy data either, just convert it into a different form. So Asakura likely went back into storage.
Old 2011-05-10, 13:06   Link #690
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Unless you want to discuss the philosophical meaning behind creating a new world then deleting its inhabitants and its equation to genocide
I was under the impression that that's what we were doing... <_<
Old 2011-05-16, 01:42   Link #691
OkamiNoKaze

Finally got a chance to watch this great movie, the movie's length made it a bit hard to find time to watch it. I was surprised but delighted to hear the original theme song was used, liked Haruhi's little warm up routine. While Alt. Yuki was cute, like Kyon I prefer the real one, same goes for Haruhi, though the long hair really does suit her.Kyon delivers some great monologues as well, especially that final internal conflict, was it just me or did his "Inner Kamina" (thanks Triple R for that phrase) sound a bit closer to Sugita's Gintoki voice? There was a bit of foreshadowing, but Ryouko was fantasticly psychotic, spinning around. "Bed head" Haruhi hilarious but she still looked good. Liked Kyon telling off the Data overmind, and the Yuki/Snowing scene does have me wonder how the dub will do that line. I was hoping we would see the party, I wonder if it's the party we see in Haruhi-chan? Or is that covered in a later book?
Lastly I liked the ending theme song.
Old 2011-05-19, 18:14   Link #692
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Well, Asakura died. Again. Sort of. Hard to say with her, really.
I can't blame someone for killing someone else who tried to kill him twice.

Old 2011-05-20, 18:38   Link #693
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Finally watched it , i won't argue much about it , just , Awesome Movie , all in this movie , nuff's said. Waiting for the next.
Old 2011-05-25, 01:39   Link #694
CrimsonSunshine
We live to make tomorrow

Heh, I like Kyon's decision, because I like Haruhi more than anyone. His decision was the right one, but truthfully, having Haruhi around is the only thing I care for. Some may despise Kyon for taking away Yuki's happiness, but Yuki's happiness goes against Haruhi's happiness, if I'm correct. Just a thought, there. So, it's a matter of personal opinion. Though, most everyone seems to speculate further, I just go with the simple thought of, Yuki's happy world or Haruhi's happy world. Which one you like better, probably has something to do with which character you like better. Maybe.
Old 2011-05-25, 10:32   Link #695
rulfo

Now I know I'm late and all but I got to read around some of the discussion about Haruhi being useless against nagato.

Maybe it might've been speculated already but here it goes.

I think Nagato wasn't able to take Haruhi's power completely or render it completely useless. Just surpressed to the point that it may seem non existent. The thing is when Kyon mentioned he is John Smith one would think such sparks might've been a great way to start the flame again. Sure Haruhi may look normal in the movie but hasn't she been that way since the whole series began? Without Itsuki, Nagato, and Mikuru we wouldn't actually know she was extraordinary.

Original Nagato's message was just an instruction or a sign. It needed something in order to be achieved which in this case Haruhi getting worked up about Kyon's story. She made everything possible to run things beyond Nagato's control.

Well that's about it. So I don't see what some people say that it is a plot hole of some sort. It's just that it hasn't been explained yet but as you can see this case can be quite the explanation we're looking for if I'm correct/lucky.
Old 2011-07-09, 02:19   Link #696
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

Thumbs up

Oh wow, just finished this marathon of a movie and I still want more! It's been so long since I've remembered watching anything haruhi and this really brings it all back.

It felt weird how everything revolved around yuki more than haruhi for a change. I'm wondering if this is to accustom the more recent fanbase. But innumerable memorable moments of super moe yuki in this movie.

Spoiler for scene:

It was a story that could've gone off the ledge in complexity but the producers did a fabulous job to explain in more detail certain past plot points when necessary. Time travel always fascinates me, especially when it revolves around mind-twirling space-time discrepancies to sort out.
Old 2011-08-01, 02:24   Link #697
Anon4life

I just saw the movie dubbed at Otakon 2011...I don't think we invented words good enough to describe my love of that movie. But love come close. That had everything, it made me feel all of my emotions, several times. I don't think I can talk about which parts I liked, because honestly, I enjoyed every minute of that nearly 3 hour movie, and everything about it. I especially loved the characters, ALL OF THEM. Reasons for liking the main characters have been probably stated many times by now, so I'll talk about Asakura:

Spoiler for spoilers for TTGL and Haruhi:

I thought the series was good, but this movie felt perfect to me. The music was great. I loved the animation style -the way they had Kyon wake up every morning, the scene where Asakura was spinning around in front of Yuki (and the music that went with it). Having not had anything spoiled about the movie the climaxes and various twists hit my mind like a Mac Truck. >dat feel when Kyon says he's John Smith. Watching it Otakon was great, there was on the order of 1000 people in the room, and we all laughed, awwed, clapped, cheered, and cried silently together.

Sorry for the TL;dr post forum, but I think my head was gonna explode if I didn't share this experience. I hope you all loved the film too
Old 2011-08-01, 16:47   Link #698
s07195
However,

Finally. Some posts that reflect the original purpose of this thread. Good job, reviewers.

Phew.
Old 2011-08-20, 17:22   Link #699
KyoKyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon4life View Post
I just saw the movie dubbed at Otakon 2011...I don't think we invented words good enough to describe my love of that movie. But love come close. That had everything, it made me feel all of my emotions, several times. I don't think I can talk about which parts I liked, because honestly, I enjoyed every minute of that nearly 3 hour movie, and everything about it. I especially loved the characters, ALL OF THEM. Reasons for liking the main characters have been probably stated many times by now, so I'll talk about Asakura:

Spoiler for spoilers for TTGL and Haruhi:

I thought the series was good, but this movie felt perfect to me. The music was great. I loved the animation style -the way they had Kyon wake up every morning, the scene where Asakura was spinning around in front of Yuki (and the music that went with it). Having not had anything spoiled about the movie the climaxes and various twists hit my mind like a Mac Truck. >dat feel when Kyon says he's John Smith. Watching it Otakon was great, there was on the order of 1000 people in the room, and we all laughed, awwed, clapped, cheered, and cried silently together.

Sorry for the TL;dr post forum, but I think my head was gonna explode if I didn't share this experience. I hope you all loved the film too
Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like you, I watched the premier at Otakon 2011 but was in a row behind a group of extremely loud con attendees who insisted on overly-laughing at every moderately funny thing that happened (like when Kyon missed the soccer ball.) They would continue to laugh for minutes on end and it became difficult to hear.
Old 2011-09-05, 00:40   Link #700
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I received the DVDs for this movie from RightStuf a few days ago, having pre-ordered it around the end of July. I loved the dub and have said elsewhere that I loved Crispin Freeman's performance as Kyon(and I also give high marks for the work that Wendee Lee, Johnny Yong Bosch and Stephanie Sheh brought to it. Michelle Ruff was good in it too).

Having read the novel that the movie is based on about four or five times, I already knew the plot of the movie, and so the twists weren't a surprise to me. Having said that, the movie takes what was in the book, and basically hit all the right notes with it. Reading Kyon going crazy because things are not as they should be is one thing, actually seeing it happen and then hearing it as delivered by a top notch voice actor(Freeman and Sugita in the Japanese version) just took it to a different level. The range of emotions that Kyon goes through in this movie was a wonder in itself, and all of it was absolutely convincing. If this were live-action, we'd be talking Academy Award level of acting. The animation as always is just incredible, and Kyoto Animation's attention to detail is certainly present in this movie(for example, when Kyon is looking through his phone's address book and sees that Haruhi's phone number is no longer there, at the top of his address book is the name Sasaki in those Japanese characters). The rooftop scene near the end also shows us a very realistic view of Kobe(something that we can also see in one of the DVD extras).

There are quite a few rewatchable scenes in the movie, like Yuki's smile when Kyon is leaving her apartment, the rooftop scene where Kyon says "Yuki." The dub has a significant and well-timed pause before he says "it means snow, right?". I also loved GAR Kyon manhandling Taniguchi and then what he says when he leaves the classroom. Other than a few instances where the pace was a bit too slow, this was a great movie. I give it a 9/10.
Closed Thread

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya