Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-12, 23:38   Link #1
Astria
Velka Knight

Send a message via AIM to Astria
Problems with Kashimashi 1

Tis me, the user of the weary iBook which can't play h.264 files properly because of its age. Well, that isn't entirely true, it plays some of them, and then... some it won't. Either way, this seems to be related. I think. The thing is, I can't tell for sure what codec is being used. The file is Team Tomari's Kashimashi 1. MPlayer reports it is 462H. (h.264 backwards?) VLC crashes upon opening the file, and the most recent (and an older) nightly crashes before I ever see a thing. QuickTime Player reports an unknown error -50 when attempting to open it.

MPlayer plays the file. It is a little slow. It is tolerably slow, however. The problem is, the subtitles will not work. I have them set properly, using the info button in the playlist to select the srt file. I've done this before with other files, and they worked in the past. Normally I'd turn to VLC in this situation, but as I mentioned, it's being dumb. I don't know if VLC is having issues because my processor is G3 and lacks Altivec support (a fact Mplayer feels necessary to inform me of every time I launch it.)

Just to check the nightly build of VLC, I attempted to open Dattebayo's most recent Bleach release, and it too crashed VLC. It works fine in 0.8.4a VLC and the most recent MPlayer. Therefore, I can only assume the VLC nightly is borked in the case of my using it. However, back to the subtitles

Any thoughts on why MPlayer will not show them as it has in the past? Anyone out there using a Mac version of VLC with a working nightly version on a G3 processor? Anyone want to buy me a MacBook Pro and be done with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2006-01-13, 00:27   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I don't think it helps solve your problem, but I can play the file just fine with VLC 0.8.4
on my Mac mini (G4 1.42 Ghz) running Mac OS X 10.4.3. It does not crash and shows
subtitles just like it should. Mplayer doesn't show any subtitles for me also btw...
Old 2006-01-13, 01:25   Link #3
Astria
Velka Knight

Send a message via AIM to Astria
Yeah, the G4 would have AltiVec support, so I wonder if that really is the problem. If I feel inspired I will play around some more with VLC, but I really got bored after the sixth or seventh crash. Nightlies crashing is expected. When 0.8.4 crashed, too, I just gave up at the time.

If not AltiVec, maybe Core Video or Quartz. Too many possibilities and I'm not savvy enough to pinpoint the cause. Alas, VLC, you used to be my best friend but lately you annoy me more often than not. Oh well.
Old 2006-01-13, 16:51   Link #4
Candy72

I also had problems with the show crashing with every player I used. So finally I switched to VLC. VLC plays the file I just wonder where the subs are... help..

So yea, I can't see the subs.

Edit: I played around with VLC a bit and learned how to add the subs.

I need no help now. Thank you anyway : ).