AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-05-14, 08:58   Link #1
The Sandman

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

I decided to pick this manga up on a whim, since it seemed prominently placed on the shelf and had an interesting art style. Then I started reading it, and realized something: this may be one of the funniest manga I've read, and my Japanese isn't good enough to catch most of the jokes.

I honestly don't see why this manga doesn't seem to have gotten much attention from the fan community, as far as unlicensed stuff is concerned, so I thought that I'd start a thread for it. If anyone else out there is reading this, and knows more Japanese than I do, I'd love to hear what you think.

It's also apparently getting an anime later this year, so maybe that'll give it more exposure here?
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 05:26   Link #2
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
I'm following it now. And yes, the anime is what turned me onto the manga.

The anime is following the manga pretty closely right now, adding in little things here and there that *compliment* the story already (usually doesn't distract from it like another manga-turned-anime-with-distracting-bits-added series I can think of). Though, there is a chunk of episode two that I didn't read in the manga, so they're probably jumping around.

Both anime and manga are very quick-paced with lovely, simple artwork and little references sprinkled throughout the story. And - omg - the first three pages were priceless.
Spoiler for First three pages :p:
I love how atypical Sensei is. Sure, you'll find nice guys in many series who just sort of get thrown into situations in which they help others in need out of their own kindness. But Sensei doesn't really care about other people and just wants to die and clue others in that dying is the best way to go. In fact, he's *reluctant* to help anyone at all. He's such a great character.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 11:06   Link #3
d-one

it was a really interesting story

i wonder when the next chapter gonna be released by the scanlation team, or else i must download the raw
d-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 13:45   Link #4
Necro-

unfortunately...i cant find it scanlated anywhere
Necro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 17:48   Link #5
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro- View Post
unfortunately...i cant find it scanlated anywhere
Look harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-one View Post
it was a really interesting story

i wonder when the next chapter gonna be released by the scanlation team, or else i must download the raw
Yeah. Considering the number of active projects, we might be in for a long wait. I'm really looking forward to the next chapters.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is such a refreshing break from the typical slapstick humor, panty exposure, and otaku lingo of the usual (high)school comedy. The black humor is reminiscent of the jokes we shared back in my own highschool days.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-07-22 at 18:38.
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 18:09   Link #6
Necro-

i should have rephrased that while it is somewhat scanned certain places where these scanlations can be obtained don't seem to have any of it
Necro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 18:54   Link #7
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Im following this but since I can only read the scanlated version Im very very behind
Im hoping with the anime out maybe other scanlators will pick it up. I really love the simplness of the manga, its drawn well but not overly done. I really like it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 19:13   Link #8
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Ah, same here, same here. I'm following scanlations and it appears it'll be a long while until I'm able to read the next chapter.

So far I like the anime more, I think it adds a little more "zing" to the series without turning it into something else entirely.
Old 2007-07-24, 19:19   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post

So far I like the anime more, I think it adds a little more "zing" to the series without turning it into something else entirely.
Exactly but with the anime only being 12 epis and the manga almost 10 vols Im hoping there is much more backstory in the manga that we probably wont get to see in the anime, unless there is more then 1 season (which Im also hoping for!)
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 20:37   Link #10
Pistbag

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

I've watched the anime and I'm now reading the manga. Well since they skipped a bunch of volumes
Spoiler for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei:
Pistbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 20:51   Link #11
sumowow

Yea i was wondering too. Until i saw wikipedia and it said something about his nephew or something like that. But i would rather have some solid proof. Not everything on wiki can be trusted
sumowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 23:23   Link #12
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Just letting you know that there's already an existing Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei thread.
Old 2007-11-27, 18:47   Link #13
ellifeedn
Thinker

Is 90 the most recent chapter?
Spoiler for chapter 90:
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 20:13   Link #14
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Is 90 the most recent chapter?
Spoiler for chapter 90:
Translated: Yes, I think so

Japanese: Nope.

Spoiler for Rin:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 15:15   Link #15
iczelion74
Lost Soul

Does anyone know why the group translating the manga decided to skip 7 chapters? Ive searched high and low and I dont think its due to another group covering those chapters. So whats up with the missing volumes?
iczelion74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 16:01   Link #16
GyroidFanatic

They decided to start at the (then) latest chapter and work backwards
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 23:56   Link #17
ellifeedn
Thinker

It seems that my hope for more scanlated chapters has done the one thing Itoshiki-sensei could not do, it died. I wonder if another group will pick it up.
Old 2008-04-19, 16:12   Link #18
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

According to AnimeNewsNetwork, Del Rey has picked up the manga rights to SZS and will start releasing it next year!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 16:21   Link #19
The Sandman

Wow, the unthinkable has happened: it actually got licensed! This is awesome news, and now I just wonder how in the hell they're going to translate it.
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 17:02   Link #20
ellifeedn
Thinker

While the hope for scanlated chapters died, the gratitude for translated chapters was born out of those ashes. Nothing personal to the scanlator groups.

I wonder what each character in the series would say about this. I could imagine Chiri going "They must properly translate every bit of text of each page, even the bits that don't have an English equivilant."