AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-03-12, 13:16   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Exclamation Post your favorite Linux apps

I was just inducted to the open source world when I installed Madrake 10.0 last night I was wondering what apps you guys use and think are the best for your Linux systems. The only apps that I have not liked so far were some instant messaging program that came with Mandrake (already installed GAIM in place of it), and the Totem movie/MP3 player. Also I was wondering what P2P programs you use. On Windows I like using WinMX and I'd like to find a program like it (I know I can use Wine, but I'm trying to eliminate all my dependcies on Windows software). Thanks!
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 14:09   Link #2
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I was just inducted to the open source world when I installed Madrake 10.0 last night I was wondering what apps you guys use and think are the best for your Linux systems. The only apps that I have not liked so far were some instant messaging program that came with Mandrake (already installed GAIM in place of it), and the Totem movie/MP3 player. Also I was wondering what P2P programs you use. On Windows I like using WinMX and I'd like to find a program like it (I know I can use Wine, but I'm trying to eliminate all my dependcies on Windows software). Thanks!
Let the flamewar begin!

thunderbird + enigmail
mozilla
xchat
openoffice (though koffice is also very nice)

And most importantly,
su
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 14:26   Link #3
Forse
r00t for life

apache2, smbd, irssi, nmap, netcat, nano, pine
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 14:38   Link #4
Lambda

Mplayer, Opera, Azureus, XChat, MLDonkey, KEdit, XMMS, Kile, Showimg, the GIMP and gcc.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 15:10   Link #5
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Ehhh, could you also post what function each application performs?
Also please give a reason why you prefer it over other applications. Thanks.

My computer has been pretty slow, and I'm wondering how to speed things up. I'm on a PIII 800MHz with 512MB DDR RAM and an NVidia GeForce graphics card. I haven't installed any drivers or anything myself, so I'm wondering if I do that (especially for my graphic card) should I see a performance increase? In particular the games go WAYYYY slow.

( Hehe, I just posted off topic in my own thread )
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 15:49   Link #6
Forse
r00t for life

Well I use console apps whenever possible (yes I sometimes surf using elinks) and here are my favorite console apps:

pine - reading mail
apache2 - best web server out there (really)
smbd - sambe deamon for linux (I use it on....hmm daily baisis if not more)
irssi - best console client
nmap - security scanner (mostly for work to test out snort)
netcat - net piping program (legend)
nano - console editor with php hilighting

I use blackbox on FBSD box and I always have like 3 terminals open (one is server logs tail -f and one irssi + one for coding)

I guess I need medical help
Old 2004-03-12, 16:45   Link #7
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forse
I guess I need medical help
You sure do. Using nano when there is vim, You suck

bash is my faw app.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 17:53   Link #8
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
You sure do. Using nano when there is vim, You suck

bash is my faw app.
HAHAH! Well vim is good yes...but I kinda stuck with nano and jed. And zsh is much more better thebn bash...bash is for kids

/me awaits flaming back
Old 2004-03-12, 18:50   Link #9
hak
bakatade

Send a message via AIM to hak
k lets see
gaim- messaging service
xmms - winamp clone for linux
xine - good media player
mplayer -also a good media player
BitchX- imho one of best console irc clients with irssi being up there
Irssi- as explained above
apache- already explained by someone above
winex-a must do emulate any direct x program in linux
gkrellm - best docking monitoring utillity ^^'
gimp - almost a mirror photoshop
eclipse - probably my favorite IDE which inlcudes support for C and Java

and theres more o.O ill think of it later
OMg another blakbox fan ur my hero ^^' well ive been recently trying out fluxbox which is almost the same heheh
hak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 18:55   Link #10
Nevion
/dev/random

gvim - gtk themeable (both gtk and vim themes) frontend to vim and the fastest gui editor I have ever seen with the most features (looks quite ugly by default)
evolution - ximians take of what outlook shoulda been (mail client and scheduling system etc)
(g)mplayer- you should know
gimp 2- the newer better gimp : )
gedit- a nice scite editor unfortunately takes over 2 seconds to load(so I mostly use gvim ; )
rox - blasing fast file browser
xchat,BitchX - irc clients
gkrellm - system monitor
anjuta - the consistantly broken IDE, but it still looks good/promising XD
gaim - the all in one IM client
gcombust - good frontend for burning cds, a bit harder to use in 2.6, infact I have to trick it since ide-scsi is depricated ; )
amule - emule but like.... better
gdesklets - fun, hard to use desktop-spiffifieres
gpdf - pdf viewer
gvv - post script viewer
enlightenment 16 - best wm ever
fluxbox - best wm for old machines if you can get used to right clicking for menu (eek)
um... besides xmms&firebird I don't remember whatever else I use.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 19:09   Link #11
hak
bakatade

Send a message via AIM to hak
why flux or black for "old" machines o.O i mean sure they use less resources but still they can be very visually nice ^^
hak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-12, 19:12   Link #12
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hak
why flux or black for "old" machines o.O i mean sure they use less resources but still they can be very visually nice ^^
Yep...I use blackbox and nice backgroud + some bbox dockable apps =) and my comp is not SLOW
Old 2004-03-12, 19:25   Link #13
Nevion
/dev/random

Quote:
Originally Posted by hak
that freaking right click is annoying and I never bothered to find a way to turn it left XP
and if the machine has enough power to not be considered slow (>p2@333mhz+>64megs of ram) I just run enlightenment on it cause I can work much more efficiently in enlightenment.
Old 2004-03-12, 20:15   Link #14
Nevion
/dev/random

Quote:
My computer has been pretty slow, and I'm wondering how to speed things up. I'm on a PIII 800MHz with 512MB DDR RAM and an NVidia GeForce graphics card. I haven't installed any drivers or anything myself, so I'm wondering if I do that (especially for my graphic card) should I see a performance increase? In particular the games go WAYYYY slow.
xwindows is using the nv driver it comes with which does not use hardware accel. You must download the i32 or something like that drivers by nvidia at nvidias website. As I already mentioned on another thread the best nvidia drivers right now are 4620 so google for it. This should considerably speed things up and lower cpu usage.

and to be ontopic agian!

gthumb- thumbnail viewer but generally I use it as something comparible to acdsee or something like that.
abiword - all purpose document editor, comparible to ms word but it ofcourse doesn't have such an extensive spelling correction system so learn to spell better : )(on a side note, my professors latest .doc's don't work anymore thus ms has done something to make them incompatible yet agian >_> but anyone can view a doc made in abiword)

bluefish - I'm still lost on what it has for capabilties but its an advanced html editor although it works also for a good text editor.. but when I say advanced, its advanced XD

bash - >:|
python - all purpose calculator and everything else thats a pain to do in a shell in interpritor mode
Old 2004-03-13, 15:22   Link #15
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
MythTV - PVR (Tivo-like fucntionality) for Linux.

K3B - CD/DVD burner (kinda reminds me of Easy CD Creator)

Unreal Tournament 2004 - Not sure if it counts as an "app" but it runs great with the latest nVidia drivers
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote