AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-12, 03:03   Link #1
se7a

Something with great animation like Sword of the Stranger

It's been a long time since I knew what was going on in the anime scene, like 5 or 6 years. That means that I don't know what's good since 2004 or something. Last anime that I saw more than 1 episodes was FMP Second Raid and Samurai Champloo. They all had great animations. Sword of the Stranger too was really great. Didn't like that much Afro Samurai, it had good animation but it was just too weird, but watchable.

What I want is something with great action sequences, fluid animation, and enjoyable story like Sword of the Stranger or FMP.

That or a really really good seinen like Monster.
Old 2009-12-12, 05:21   Link #2
Smithsky

I'll recomment Seirei no Moribito - great animation, great story, great characters (it may be a little slow for you, but give it a chance )
Old 2009-12-12, 07:28   Link #3
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Eden of the East of course
Old 2009-12-12, 11:28   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quancio View Post
I'll recomment Seirei no Moribito - great animation, great story, great characters (it may be a little slow for you, but give it a chance )
Bang. Couldn't ask for a better match.

I would try Noein, too. Great animation (it changes from week to week with the A.D., which is interesting in itself) and a really complex plot with interesting characters. Not as great as Seirei no Moribito, but pretty great.
Old 2009-12-12, 12:51   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Obviously I'd endorse both Moribito and Noein (see my signature).

I'll throw a couple of Madhouse productions into the mix, Dennou Coil and Oh! Edo Rocket. Neither of them look much like "normal" anime, but they're both stunning. They're not "action" shows, though each has some action from time to time. (The battles in Dennou Coil are especially remarkable for their inventiveness as much as for their animation.)

Of course, for me the most distinctively animated show of recent years is Mononoke and its prequel Bakeneko. Happily it's not just the animation that makes these shows so great; the story-telling is also far above average. The "action" in these shows usually takes place during the exorcisms.

Since you've been out of the "scene" for a while, might I recommend this thread originated by our good friend, Guardian Enzo? It covers many impressive shows from the past few years.
Old 2009-12-12, 14:46   Link #6
se7a

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will check them and give you guys feedback. But any other would still be appreciated, I don't work anymore so I (finally) have some free time hehe.
It doesn't really need to have the focus on action scenes. Like I said, if there is anything like monster - with amazing plot - I would definitely download it.
Old 2009-12-12, 20:42   Link #7
qwertyuiopz

birdy the mighty decode and soul eater have awesome animation
Old 2009-12-13, 21:34   Link #8
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Some must sees are
Bakemonogatari
Darker Than Black
Kaze No Stigma
Ga Rei Zero
To Aru Majutsu No Index
Old 2009-12-14, 01:45   Link #9
NightSamurai

Karas had some of the best visuals I've seen in any anime, great storyline and combat as well.
Old 2009-12-14, 13:42   Link #10
Kazuke
Dreamcatcher

Send a message via MSN to Kazuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSamurai View Post
Karas had some of the best visuals I've seen in any anime, great storyline and combat as well.
Oooh, couldn't put it any other way. When talking about animation Karas is definitely something worth seeing. Plus those fighting scenes, ooh the shivers...

Also I recommend all the works of BONES studio. From what I've seen Soul Eater , FMA + Brotherhood, Eureka Seven, Ouran High School Host Club... They are all very nicely animated, there's only one episode of Ouran, which was a little poor, but aside of that, they're perfect. About the genres... Well they change a little in those series.

Last edited by Kazuke; 2009-12-14 at 13:43. Reason: wrong word
Old 2009-12-15, 08:36   Link #11
straferd
Toushi

I would also like to point out that Ga-Rei -Zero- and Kara no Kyoukai are what you are looking for. Check out Canaan and Burst Angel as well.
Old 2009-12-15, 08:43   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would definately recommend Canaan.
Old 2009-12-16, 20:53   Link #13
se7a

I'm watching Seirei no Moribito and it is quite good. I little slow at times but beautiful and interesting enough to keep me watching through the slow moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuke View Post
Oooh, couldn't put it any other way. When talking about animation Karas is definitely something worth seeing. Plus those fighting scenes, ooh the shivers...

Also I recommend all the works of BONES studio. From what I've seen Soul Eater , FMA + Brotherhood, Eureka Seven, Ouran High School Host Club... They are all very nicely animated, there's only one episode of Ouran, which was a little poor, but aside of that, they're perfect. About the genres... Well they change a little in those series.
Eureka Seven is that one with the oldschool airplanes?

Ouran is shoujo, right? Shoujo isn't for me(I'm almost in my 30s and male) and even most shounen are, well, too childish or inane for me. That's why I set things like Sword of the Stranger and Monster as examples. If you can recommend me something from bones that fits my request, I'd be thankful.
Thank you all for your suggestions. After watching Seirei, Noein is next. Thanks!
Old 2009-12-16, 21:07   Link #14
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ If you like mature shows try Darker than Black. It's an R-rated action show with great animation from BONES.
Old 2009-12-16, 22:36   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7a View Post
I'm watching Seirei no Moribito and it is quite good. I little slow at times but beautiful and interesting enough to keep me watching through the slow moments.

Eureka Seven is that one with the oldschool airplanes?

Thank you all for your suggestions. After watching Seirei, Noein is next. Thanks!
The "slow" parts are actually my favorite, because that's the time when the amazing bond between Balsa, Chagum and Tanda is really forming. But the show does take it's time, I admit. Stick with it - it just gets better and better.

I don't really think of the craft in E7 as old school airplanes - it's really more of a mecha series. Damn good, if a little meandering at times, plot-wise. Might you be thinking of Last Exile or Allison & Lillia?

And let me add, if you go from Seirei no Moribito to Noein you're in very good shape. Those are two fantastic series.
Old 2009-12-22, 23:49   Link #16
se7a

Didn't see many episodes yet, but Noien is maybe too Shounen for me. Eureka seems to go along that line too.
Old 2009-12-23, 05:41   Link #17
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just so you know, i whilst watching the film I noticed a lot of similarities in the action scenes to Canaan. So after watching the film I looked it up and what do you know, it turns out that they have the same director and some of the animation staff.
Closed Thread