AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-06, 23:12   Link #481
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Overpowered characters are not only in terms of strength but also brain. I mean Light Yagami and Lelouch from Death Note and Code Geass, respectively, are all the time playing with the others using certain plans.

A cliche that bothers me is the overuse of love triangles and chick magnets. I think it's just a cheap way to make drama and introduce supporting characters. Almost as if the friendship between a male and a female is impossible in fiction.
I mostly didn't like OP characters in terms of brains as well (like the aforementioned Lelouch and Light), as they tend to lack something important in the social and morality department. The only one I liked is Keima, although I disliked the fact that he has to pretend to fall in love in the girls like all the time (until later in the manga), but I could forgive that because it's part of his unique circumstances. Besides, a dating manual could really help Forever Alone people like me.

I don't really like it when fans treat moral characters as somebody more susceptible to the effects of the Idiot Ball. It's as if morality is an obstacle to thinking straight. The common variants I hated are like this: "So why doesn't he just kill him? He could come back to beat you, you know!" or "What an idiot, just kill him already! He's already become a bad guy, he's not your friend/lover anymore!"

Hmm... I do think love triangles have been overused, but how else are you going to place obstacles in the relationship of the main pair asides overbearing parents, tragedy, and other factors?

Chick magnets... I don't really mind them, but I do feel for people who do. The mentality I'm seeing is "you have to earn your harem" either by kindness (which is kinda overrated for some) or by sweet talk or showing feats of physical prowess (the latter is often the more preferable method). But there ARE people who attract chicks like it's nobody's business without even knowing they could or even "a shred of logic" behind it (how could such an uninteresting guy get so many hot girls?).

Uh, so what is "interesting" to us, anyway? Is it "douchebag" or "anti-hero"? Is making an MC darker and edgier the only way to make him interesting and nice guys can never become interesting just because?

And yes, I hate that "boys and girls can't be friends, only romantic partners" bit. Sakurasou has this particularly bad (as far as I am concerned), because people keep shipping Sorata/Nanami despite their interactions indicating that they're nowhere near that. YET. It didn't help that she's cast as the ideal waifu for anyone, not just Sorata. But it's mostly because he's currently "committed" to Mashiro, so...

I have known a lot of boy-girl pairs in real life with no romantic feelings for each other whatsoever (bonus points if they could still hang out together despite being committed to different partners without issue).

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-02-06 at 23:25.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 07:53   Link #482
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

When I meant love triangles I actually meant when they use a lot of people like in Ranma 12 where A likes B, C likes A, D likes B, E likes C, F likes B, G likes D, H likes C, etc.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 07:58   Link #483
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
When I meant love triangles I actually meant when they use a lot of people like in Ranma 12 where A likes B, C likes A, D likes B, E likes C, F likes B, G likes D, H likes C, etc.
That's quite confusing.... You could also expect that the show will add an episode for those individuals romantic progress... You can't compress that in a 1 cour anime..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 22:16   Link #484
Kudryavka

The fucking Shaft headtilt

THE FUCKING SHAFT HEADTILT

(yes I know Honma is not Shaft)
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 11:09   Link #485
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I mostly didn't like OP characters in terms of brains as well (like the aforementioned Lelouch and Light), as they tend to lack something important in the social and morality department. The only one I liked is Keima, although I disliked the fact that he has to pretend to fall in love in the girls like all the time (until later in the manga), but I could forgive that because it's part of his unique circumstances. Besides, a dating manual could really help Forever Alone people like me.

I don't really like it when fans treat moral characters as somebody more susceptible to the effects of the Idiot Ball. It's as if morality is an obstacle to thinking straight. The common variants I hated are like this: "So why doesn't he just kill him? He could come back to beat you, you know!" or "What an idiot, just kill him already! He's already become a bad guy, he's not your friend/lover anymore!"

Code Geass could be one of the best examples. The protagonist Lelouch is overpowered in terms of brain whereas the deurotagonist Suzaku is overpowered in terms of strength. Suzaku has lots of chances to kill Lelouch across the series but due to moral he doesn't do it. This results in the writers trolling Suzaku until he he loses it and allies with Lelouch forming an unbeatable duo.

Still, I think Rurouni Kenshin's titular character was given legit reasons to avoid killing his enemies and even the author made sure he wanted him to look weak in the Kyoto arc after seven volumes in which nobody defeats Kenshin.
Old 2013-02-08, 11:24   Link #486
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post

YEAH! SHAFT!
Old 2013-02-08, 11:29   Link #487
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Why don't you like the headtilt?

I think it's cool and stylish, and adds some nice drama, flare, and emotion to some scenes. Plus, it's sometimes played well in a creepy way (I'm surprised that Sayaka's very creepy headtilt from PMMM Episode 8 never seems to get into these SHAFT headtilt compilations).

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-02-08 at 11:46.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 11:41   Link #488
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:

Top-left pic should have been on the bottom right for a combo breaker.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 11:52   Link #489
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I think it's cool and stylish, and adds some nice drama, flare, and emotion to some scenes. Plus, it's sometimes played well in a creepy way (I'm surprised that Sayaka's very creepy headtilt from PMMM Episode 8 never seems to get into these SHAFT headtilt compilations).
It obviously should replace Menma who is not Shaft.

I don't hate it at all but it is amusing to see how many times they use the same technique.
Old 2013-02-08, 13:17   Link #490
Kudryavka

Quote:

It's not the headtilt itself I loathe, it's that Shaft (read: Shinbo) abuses the damn headtilt at every opportunity possible. Bake was an especially searing offender, there were headtilts for no reason, just to look creepy and scream "IT'S A ME! SHINBO!!!!". It looks like the characters are breaking their necks when they do it, wtf??!! It would have been cool if used sparingly, but they he's abused and overused it in so many different unrelated series to the point where it's unnecessary and annoying.

Add to that that the headtilt freaks me out in a bad way all the time, and yeah, I hate it now.
Old 2013-02-08, 14:13   Link #491
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
It's not the headtilt itself I loathe, it's that Shaft (read: Shinbo) abuses the damn headtilt at every opportunity possible. Bake was an especially searing offender, there were headtilts for no reason, just to look creepy and scream "IT'S A ME! SHINBO!!!!". It looks like the characters are breaking their necks when they do it, wtf??!! It would have been cool if used sparingly, but they he's abused and overused it in so many different unrelated series to the point where it's unnecessary and annoying.

Add to that that the headtilt freaks me out in a bad way all the time, and yeah, I hate it now.
This explanation made me laugh (especially the bit where I imagined Shinbo talking like Mario ) and it makes sense, so kudos to you.

Yeah, I guess the SHAFT head-tilt is a bit overused.
Old 2013-02-08, 14:16   Link #492
Kudryavka

Quote:
This explanation made me laugh (especially the bit where I imagined Shinbo talking like Mario ) and it makes sense, so kudos to you.

Yeah, I guess the SHAFT head-tilt is a bit overused.
lol but I do admit it looks in place a few times... like the time Sayaka dooes it and kinda when Kyoko does it in the picture (she's trying to be intimidating. it kinda looks funny haha though). Kyubey doing it was just ridiculous though.

And thank you!
Old 2013-02-08, 17:33   Link #493
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
More like neck breaker. That position is not good for the body.
Old 2013-02-08, 18:07   Link #494
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
lol now i see what you are doing
Old 2013-02-08, 23:01   Link #495
Traece
:cool:

Started watching Muv-Luv. Eagerly awaiting for me to not be watching it anymore.

Why? Because it is the embodiment of cliche.

It has a beach episode. IT'S BASICALLY BLUE GENDER MIXED WITH FMP! WHY?!
Spoiler for Cliches of Muv-Luv in a list.:

With the exception of the very beginning which I give a lot of props to in terms of having some real originality, this thread is all I could think about while watching this anime. I'm not even HALF of the way through!

Edit: Episode 19 here. It's getting worse. My "wtf" supplies are gone. Temperature is low. Interest waning. I may not make it to morning...

Last edited by Traece; 2013-02-09 at 04:21. Reason: H-Help... Me...
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:24   Link #496
ShonenFan

I think about it my worst cliche is the misunderstanding
oh look a boy has accidentally done something perverted (or it was the girl's fault) now time for the beat the hell out of them often with no apology if they later realise it wasn't their fault e.g. persona 4 animation the hotsprings scene
ShonenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 01:09   Link #497
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShonenFan View Post
oh look a boy has accidentally done something perverted (or it was the girl's fault) now time for the beat the hell out of them often with no apology if they later realise it wasn't their fault e.g. persona 4 animation the hotsprings scene
This.

Also anything else like this especially when it involves the protagonist getting the short end of the stick. At times this can get notoriously unfunny.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 07:16   Link #498
Joyce_Steele
Banned

I don't think this one is a cliche but I think saw too many scenes which where all actions take place at night, it ends with a sunrise. While I have nothing against it but I think it just played too often.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 12:32   Link #499
4Tran

Quote:

They're not even original to SHAFT. Here's an older one that uses the tilt for greater effect:

It's great for portraying dismissiveness and disdain, but it doesn't work for much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShonenFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Assassin View Post
This.

Also anything else like this especially when it involves the protagonist getting the short end of the stick. At times this can get notoriously unfunny.
The worse part of the accidental misunderstanding is that it's supposed to be funny, but it's usually just tedious instead. It's just on a rote list of things that every light shounen romance needs to have - alongside the accidental grope, the oohs and aahs over how awesome the female characters are and so on.
Old 2013-05-06, 13:04   Link #500
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I too am getting somewhat tired of the 'guy walks in on girl changing/getting ready for bath/whatever and gets everything, including the kitchen sink thrown at him' cliché.

In fact, I find it actually refreshing when it happens and the girl doesn't get mad, or even claims that she doesn't really care about it, or even mind.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad