AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-10-27, 23:48   Link #17921
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
Heh. It actually had roots from when I first started a blog and wanted a cool username... I found grimoire but when I registered... I, uh, misspelled it. But then I decided to keep it since well, I've been using it for years. 'Isa' is actually part of my name and I found in other forums other people already had 'grimoire' or grimorie so I added to tack on the Isa.

But, you know your breakdown is so much better that I'll go with that from now on!
Plus it opens the door to all kinds of avatars. Here, for example, you could be the Book of Darkness!

(Actually, it was the misspelling that made me notice it. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
The longest chapter I ever wrote for a story was 18 pages.
Around 15 for me. Though I've written short stories that I didn't break down into chapters that ended up in the forties. Mostly, I tend to find that 7-10 pages works as a good chapter length for me (around 2300-3300 words) on most stories regardless of how long the story itself turns out to be. It lets me minimize the number of scene breaks and keep each chapter focused on a single theme. If I'm reading online, I also prefer chapters about that length, because it doesn't take such an investment of time staring at the computer to read it--although if the fic is good enough, I'd just print out the chapter and read it on paper, at which point chapter length of even fic length stops being an issue entirely because I can then enjoy it at leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
It's an old meme that girls don't exist on the internet. If some one says they're a girl, they're just a guy pretending to be a girl.

Obviously it's not true, but I do have the mind set of "assume male unless otherwise specified." So I dunno what to call you users with 'unspecified' genders
Heh...I think the meme got started because most of the early guys on the internet didn't have girls existing in their real life, either. Personally, I use clumsy terms like he/she and that sort of thing, because I default to treating people like the gender they say they are. It's not like I'm ever going to meet any of the people I encounter online in a real life setting, so I won't need to know it anyway...

...says the person who, in fact, met his wife online and, indeed, knew her for over two and a half years through the 'net only before advancing to any other means of communication.

Quote:
Anyways, on chapter length, long chapters are good, but I think for fanfiction, shorter chapters are better. I'm more of a casual reader, personally, so I'd rather have shorter bites that I don't need to commit a lot of time to. And if something else comes up, I can quickly finish the chapter and pause there before reading the next one. I'm not too fond of having to stop mid chapter.
Yes, that--particularly if I'm reading online, there's really no place to insert the bookmark, so it's really a pain to hunt through a long chapter to see where I left off.

Edit: Page claim for RadiantBeam setting her harem to work cranking out long chapters for her to read!

Last edited by DezoPenguin; 2009-10-27 at 23:49. Reason: Page claim! W00t!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 23:54   Link #17922
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Edit: Page claim for RadiantBeam setting her harem to work cranking out long chapters for her to read!

*quietly gets to work on Angel, Chapter 7.....*
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 00:33   Link #17923
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

@DevoPenguin:
Quote:
Plus it opens the door to all kinds of avatars. Here, for example, you could be the Book of Darkness!
I never even thought of that!

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here. This doesn't sound like a fic idea, but rather like two or three fic ideas merged together. Particularly, the last part of the summary looks like an interesting subplot to play out (or the main plot of a shorter fic)--Nanoha's reaction to her injury is a good topic to explore.
You got me, actually, I was thinking of writing a separate story that dealt with the immediate aftermath of Nanoha's incident since I think that particular situation has a lot of potential regarding the characters and not just to Nanoha and Fate but to everyone around them.

Quote:
This is not something to delve into in a crossover unless it directly ties in to the main theme of the crossover.
It sort of those touch upon it albeit indirectly I kind of envision this to have a few slice of life scenes that would inevitably be tied up by the end of the story. I want this story to have the action/mystery required in a Nanoha story giving it a 'gen' feel but ultimately I think this will also be an emotional journey for the characters involved.

Quote:
Throwing in two many subplots will just pad the size of the story without really adding too much too it.
You're right of course! I have to really watch it and be careful threading the balance and don't put a lot of unnecessary things into the plot. I hope to keep it to a novella sized story.

Quote:
With regard to starting the story, you probably want to start with Nanoha and Fate, simply because they're the ones who are transitioning from one universe to the other. Otherwise, if you start with the Inner Senshi, you get the reaction, "Hey, where did these guys come from?!" Beginning with Nanoha and Fate lets you start developing your plot by detailing how they got from Universe A to Universe B (if not the mechanism for it, at least the events which sucked them in).
*nods* Another interesting suggestion and actually really logical, I'm going to start writing soon and I'll see how this goes. Thanks!

BTW, I've been following your Steel Queen stories and loving the new story! I do so love reading stories where Fate's given the chance to kick butt.
isagrimorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 00:36   Link #17924
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
@Thread: Since I don't really feel like making a backlog breaker, I'll just state what I want to say without surfing through the last 4-5 pages that have magically appeared since I last checked, okay?

@RadiantBeam: My dearest, counting Deathcurse you're in a fifthsome And since everyone seems to be asleep right now and I feel left out, I'll just make it a sixthsome right now! *steals a sleeping RB from Nanya, Alavon, Shiny and Deathcurse*

@00-Raiser: I think the saying goes "On the internet: Guys are guys, girls are guys and kids are FBI agents." Never fails to crack me up!

And to not be too off-topic: I also like long chapters, thank you very much. Especially when the story is well written; the characters can get lots of developments and it's fun to see their inner thoughts, monologues and interactions with other characters.

@isagrimoire: Welcome to the thread! I know it's a bit late but still! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here and don't be shy to post stuff and ask questions, we're a very friendly community here.
Old 2009-10-28, 00:40   Link #17925
isagrimorie

@Fuya no Sora: Thanks for the welcome! I'm enjoying reading the interactions in the forum
Old 2009-10-28, 00:43   Link #17926
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
@Fuya no Sora: Thanks for the welcome! I'm enjoying reading the interactions in the forum
You're welcome ^^ I'm sitting back and seeing who will jump next into RB's newly-formed harem and having quite a blast myself! It's been a very long while since this thread was this alive.
Old 2009-10-28, 00:47   Link #17927
isagrimorie

RB does seem to have quite the harem! And I guess its perfect timing since I get to see the board so active!
Old 2009-10-28, 00:59   Link #17928
Nijiru

Knew I forgot something.

Welcome to the board, isagrimorie. *waves*
Nijiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 01:21   Link #17929
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

It's fun to look back regarding amount of words per chapter. When I first started I was around 800-1200. A couple of months later 2000-3000. Now I'm around the 6k-7k mark, and my final target being 10k. After that I feel it gets harder to flesh each chapter out, but the amount of development is huge.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 02:03   Link #17930
Kurush

Send a message via MSN to Kurush
For some reason, I feel like I was ignored while I was asleep...
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 04:42   Link #17931
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
@Nanya:[/B] 17 pages is...a LOT of pages...
Pretty sure that 2nd and 3rd phase of Nena's story were over 20 pages. I'd have to check and I don't feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
It's fun to look back regarding amount of words per chapter. When I first started I was around 800-1200. A couple of months later 2000-3000. Now I'm around the 6k-7k mark, and my final target being 10k. After that I feel it gets harder to flesh each chapter out, but the amount of development is huge.
When it comes to my original writing, my chapters tend to be about 4-5 pages in Writer. Fanfics usually end up with longer chapters, but shorter overall lengths. I'm pretty sure that A Path Through Remembrance was right around 50k words total.

I'm not really sure how far False Light will go. I have a good handle on the plot, but I'm still pretty blocked working on it. I'm growing increasingly frustrated with how little I've been working on it but I kind of blame the whole thing on stress concerning the problems in my life.
Old 2009-10-28, 10:03   Link #17932
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post

*quietly gets to work on Angel, Chapter 7.....*
... Hey, if having a harem works like this, maybe I should stop complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
@RadiantBeam: My dearest, counting Deathcurse you're in a fifthsome And since everyone seems to be asleep right now and I feel left out, I'll just make it a sixthsome right now! *steals a sleeping RB from Nanya, Alavon, Shiny and Deathcurse*
... I now apparently have a new member of my harem I never knew existed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Why does everybody seem so accepting of this idea?

Quote:
RB does seem to have quite the harem! And I guess its perfect timing since I get to see the board so active!
I honestly don't know how this happened. I'm not usually this popular on the thread.
Old 2009-10-28, 10:18   Link #17933
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
RB's harem loves her. Guy or girl, it doesn't matter, RB's harem loves her.

*nods as I am part of RB's harem.*

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 10:47   Link #17934
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
... Hey, if having a harem works like this, maybe I should stop complaining.
Just stop complaining, already

Quote:
... I now apparently have a new member of my harem I never knew existed...
Yes, you do. And I think I was the last one who stole you, so I have you all to myself as of now! *Laughs evilly*

Quote:
Why does everybody seem so accepting of this idea?
And why not? It's fun!

Quote:
I honestly don't know how this happened. I'm not usually this popular on the thread.
You're more popular than you think, my dearest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
RB's harem loves her. Guy or girl, it doesn't matter, RB's harem loves her.

*nods as I am part of RB's harem.*
Obviously we all love her! If we didn't we wouldn't be stealing her from each other and fighting over her!

*nods alongside Nanya*
Old 2009-10-28, 10:48   Link #17935
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

*Steals RB from Fuyu* Nyahahahahaha! *Ties up the Fuyu and brings her with us.*

Old 2009-10-28, 10:58   Link #17936
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Just stop complaining, already
She can't do that! Everyone knows that the central figure in a harem always complains about their situation no matter how good it is! They're also indecisive and never knock, prompting them to walk in on people changing and subsequently lose brain cells when they're punched through the window.

... Bail out, RB! Riding the nice boat isn't worth it!
Old 2009-10-28, 11:03   Link #17937
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

I wouldn't hit RB. I'm more of a wrestler anyway. Now, Alavon, I'm not sure about...

... Shiny would just hit us with the Shiny crack to distract us while she makes off with RB.

Is Alavon a guy or a girl... Cuz if Alavon is a girl... ...

Then would I be the only guy in RB's harem?

Maybe Satashi was right? Maybe RB needs to collar us so that people know we're her harem and not mine...

Old 2009-10-28, 11:07   Link #17938
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Wow dang...pages of backlog (and harem building) again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
AlternativeS Chapter 1 (AS rough draft) AlternativeS Chapter 2 (AS rough draft)
Spoiler for Alternatives 3-1:
lol the Hand of Fate is probably going to become the next running joke after exhibitionist!Nanoha. That's an awful lot of dexterity for someone asleep.

I did experience a moment of 'squick' towards the end though - Alts!N's skirt would have had to be really short for her to flash someone while below their line of sight. But after reading some comments on that aspect, it's less squicky if I conceptualise Alts!N as Trainwreck!N.

As for Fate 'going back'... I think it's a miracle she even landed in a time-space continuum so similar to her own in the first place (if that is indeed what has happened) What if she chose to 'go back' but ended up in a world where NONE of them existed, or was too far into the future...?

All this alternative universe meddling makes me itch for more Angel! *winks at deathcurse*
yuiseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 11:18   Link #17939
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
longest chapter: 35 pages (15,183 words). I don't go by pages, however, since the more dialog you have, the more pages you have. My stories don't generally have long paragraphs since I deal with a lot of conversation. I go by words for my length. In my eyes, no chapter can be LESS than 3,000 words and shouldn't be MORE than 10,000. Most of my chapters fall in the 6,000-8,000 range......then I have stories like this:
Spoiler for lol harry potter:

That fic actually got deleted from FF.N and I had to re-upload. Really sucks, I had helpful reviews on it along the way >.<
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 11:22   Link #17940
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
She can't do that! Everyone knows that the central figure in a harem always complains about their situation no matter how good it is! They're also indecisive and never knock, prompting them to walk in on people changing and subsequently lose brain cells when they're punched through the window.

... Bail out, RB! Riding the nice boat isn't worth it!
Okay, okay, she can keep complaining then! Thanks for reminding me of that one, Raiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
I wouldn't hit RB. I'm more of a wrestler anyway. Now, Alavon, I'm not sure about...

... Shiny would just hit us with the Shiny crack to distract us while she makes off with RB.

Is Alavon a guy or a girl... Cuz if Alavon is a girl... ...

Then would I be the only guy in RB's harem?

Maybe Satashi was right? Maybe RB needs to collar us so that people know we're her harem and not mine...
Yes, that would make you the only guy in RB's harem And I approve of the collars, LOL! If we can choose our colors, I want mine to be lilac please!

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha