AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-05-08, 00:35   Link #1221
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Hey, I'd like if someone could take the time to translate the romanized Japanese lyrics to this song here... and if it's at all possible, can someone also provide the lyrics in Kanji? I feel as though asking here on Animesuki might be the most reliable source. Thanks, I apologize for the trouble... I've been trying to look on the internet, though it's been kind of difficult finding any sort of material related to this song. I'm trying my hand at possibly making a video in the future...
Here is a link to the kanji version of the song.

http://www.kasi-time.com/item-45092.html

I'll need some time to translate it for you.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 04:01   Link #1222
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

May i ask , what are the first two kanjis here? And is it normal to address your loved ones who passed away using that line (well change the okaasan, of course)?

Old 2011-05-09, 04:25   Link #1223
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
May i ask , what are the first two kanjis here? And is it normal to address your loved ones who passed away using that line (well change the okaasan, of course)?

"前略(Zenryaku)" is a tough one to explain if you have no knowledge on how formal letter are structured in Japanese.
Basically in a letter you start with "拝啓(haikei)" roughly meaning Dear Sir(madam) and then there is a cordial honorary paragraph asking how you are doing in when ever season the letter is written and if it is a business letter how well their business is booming before going into the actual content.

Writing "前略" means the writer will neglect all the cordial honorary formality within this letter and is used only to people who you are very close like blood relatives and only when they are really in a hurry.

The closing of the letter changes as well, when using "拝啓" it ends with "敬具", when starting with "前略" it ends with "草々".

FYI this formality is still commonly used and it is a must in writing business letters.

As for "天国の・・・" I really do not know since I have not written any letters to heaven.(Don't have a clue of the zip code.)
Old 2011-05-09, 05:27   Link #1224
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
"前略(Zenryaku)" is a tough one to explain if you have no knowledge on how formal letter are structured in Japanese.
Basically in a letter you start with "拝啓(haikei)" roughly meaning Dear Sir(madam) and then there is a cordial honorary paragraph asking how you are doing in when ever season the letter is written and if it is a business letter how well their business is booming before going into the actual content.

Writing "前略" means the writer will neglect all the cordial honorary formality within this letter and is used only to people who you are very close like blood relatives and only when they are really in a hurry.

The closing of the letter changes as well, when using "拝啓" it ends with "敬具", when starting with "前略" it ends with "草々".

FYI this formality is still commonly used and it is a must in writing business letters.

As for "天国の・・・" I really do not know since I have not written any letters to heaven.(Don't have a clue of the zip code.)
Thank

It's a bit more complex than i thought (thought all Japanese letter start with "A-san e") so maybe i should watch out more when use it
Old 2011-05-30, 08:13   Link #1225
LunarChain

Need some translation help

hey guys, I was listening to a drama CD, however what little japanese I had did not help me understand the last few mintues of it. So I would really, really appreciate if some can give me a translation for the video here from minute 1:20 till the end. Its all about 3.5 mins. A line by line translation would be preferable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcx8XJMfzJ8

thnx a bunch.

Last edited by LunarChain; 2011-05-30 at 08:47.
LunarChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 08:43   Link #1226
HoshiBoshi

I got stuck with these 2 sentences, wonder if somebody can help me out.

Thanx.

Old 2011-05-30, 15:40   Link #1227
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatifnatten View Post
I got stuck with these 2 sentences, wonder if somebody can help me out.

Thanx.

A little vague without context, but it looks something like, "So you skipped out on your military duties, huh?" "Don't say it like I did it because I wanted to."
Old 2011-05-30, 18:17   Link #1228
LunarChain

Ugh I really need some help for this. A line by line translation will be really helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcx8XJMfzJ8

all together its about 4 mins.
LunarChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 03:43   Link #1229
HoshiBoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
A little vague without context, but it looks something like, "So you skipped out on your military duties, huh?" "Don't say it like I did it because I wanted to."
Thank you. That's about right.

I also need a little help with this hand written kanji
Old 2011-06-02, 07:23   Link #1230
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatifnatten View Post
Thank you. That's about right.

I also need a little help with this hand written kanji
It's "Kai[効]" or efficacy.
Old 2011-06-02, 19:17   Link #1231
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
It's "Kai[効]" or efficacy.
Eh?
The first thing that came to mind was 'kou', was wondering if 'kai' was some special reading :|
効く 【きく】 (v5k) to be effective, (P)
効き目 【ききめ】 (n) effect, virtue, efficacy, impression, (P)
効 【こう】 (n) efficacy, benefit, efficiency, effect, result, success

And then related words off of it...
効果 【こうか】 (n,adj-no) effect, effectiveness, efficacy, result, (P)
効率 【こうりつ】 (n) efficiency, (P)
発効 【はっこう】 (n) coming into effect, (P)

And so on...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 04:23   Link #1232
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Shuffle! Innocence translation

A little help, please, from the community members who know Japanese, is this a correct translation of Innocence? The ED for Shuffle! It's one of my favorite songs. I did a Google search and this is what I found.

We are walking together; we are searching together
But what reflects in my eyes is your wavering figure

What is between you and I
Is the sea of noise where dreams mix together
Which is unchanging is only breathing inside of you

Because I’m sure that the treasure that no one in the world touches
Will shine stronger than anything for you

We are wishing together; we are lost together
A distant future; where will we go to? While we still can’t see-

The string that ties you and I together
Still just might be thin
But I cast off everything, entrust you, and try to feel you

At the deep lake that all love in the world guides to
Gently I take my feelings that still overflow for you and――
I’d like to believe that someday we can understand each other
Please, I want you to show me enough of your heart so that I can see through it

I’m sure that the treasure that no one in the world touches
Should shine stronger than anything for you
I’d like to believe that someday we can understand each other
Please, I want you to show me enough of your heart so that I can see through it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJHBhVPy80
Old 2011-06-15, 06:43   Link #1233
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Ahh... re: Shuffle Innocence... a little further searching and I found an AnimeSuki archive that gives the same translation that I posted earlier. So, I'll assume that it's the correct version.
Old 2011-09-02, 02:59   Link #1234
B2-Lancer

I roughly understand that Mahou shoujo and majokko and mahou shoujo or majokko and Puella Magi means magical girl, but is there a Japanese term or phrase for "non-magic magical girl" or "techno-magical girl"? I have a "real world" heroine in the works who fights crime (a'la Batman) in the guise and persona of a pop magical girl, but I can't find a real or made-up Japanese term to describe her pose.

Thanks for any suggestions!
B2-Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 16:29   Link #1235
B2-Lancer

Greetings;

Can those with the keen, even in part, please translate this bio of Kanako Kurusu. Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/unledxch.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...omoreimom.jpg/

Last edited by B2-Lancer; 2011-09-15 at 11:36.
Old 2011-09-13, 23:29   Link #1236
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
I roughly understand that Mahou shoujo and majokko and mahou shoujo or majokko and Puella Magi means magical girl, but is there a Japanese term or phrase for "non-magic magical girl" or "techno-magical girl"? I have a "real world" heroine in the works who fights crime (a'la Batman) in the guise and persona of a pop magical girl, but I can't find a real or made-up Japanese term to describe her pose.

Thanks for any suggestions!
You mean like a girl who fights but doesn't have magical powers? Just a straight up superhero? I'm kinda missing how she's a magical girl if she doesn't have powers.

In case you don't know, Puella Magi isn't Japanese, it's (supposed to be) Latin. If you knew this before, ignore me. :x

My question:
Can someone translate "Puella Magi Madoka Magica"? I know what it means, but I'd like a brief explanation of how the words work. A literal translation, if you will. So, puella is girl, magi is magician, Madoka is just a name, and magica is magical. Is the title literally Girl Magician Madoka Magical? Switched around to make sense in English, it's Magical Magician Girl Madoka, which still seems really weird. Seems really Didn't Do the Research to me, maybe someone could check me on this? Did the creators really just screw up Latin, or did I?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-14, 00:29   Link #1237
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
My question:
Can someone translate "Puella Magi Madoka Magica"? I know what it means, but I'd like a brief explanation of how the words work. A literal translation, if you will. So, puella is girl, magi is magician, Madoka is just a name, and magica is magical. Is the title literally Girl Magician Madoka Magical? Switched around to make sense in English, it's Magical Magician Girl Madoka, which still seems really weird. Seems really Didn't Do the Research to me, maybe someone could check me on this? Did the creators really just screw up Latin, or did I?
I've commented elsewhere that the Latin doesn't make much sense, but it just occurred to me that technically the magica could be modifying puella. It's not uncommon for the adjective to be far away from the noun it's modifying, especially in poetic language. "Puella magica" could mean "magical girl," which leaves "magi" which is odd. I'm inclined to believe they just didn't do the research, but "magi" could be genitive of "magus" (wizard or wise man). That would make "puella magi Madoka magica" roughly "the magical girl Madoka of the wise man."

*shrug* or they just picked cool sounding Latin words and didn't worry about the grammar.
Old 2011-09-14, 03:41   Link #1238
B2-Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
You mean like a girl who fights but doesn't have magical powers? Just a straight up superhero? I'm kinda missing how she's a magical girl if she doesn't have powers.
Thanks for replying so soon and sorry I wasn't clear. She's a normal human like Batman, but assumes the character and costume of a popular magical girl doing it. I was thinking of a play on words like "non-magical magical girl" as a cute catch-phrase for her, but if that's not possible it's okay. Thanks!!
Old 2011-09-14, 20:26   Link #1239
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I've commented elsewhere that the Latin doesn't make much sense, but it just occurred to me that technically the magica could be modifying puella. It's not uncommon for the adjective to be far away from the noun it's modifying, especially in poetic language. "Puella magica" could mean "magical girl," which leaves "magi" which is odd. I'm inclined to believe they just didn't do the research, but "magi" could be genitive of "magus" (wizard or wise man). That would make "puella magi Madoka magica" roughly "the magical girl Madoka of the wise man."

*shrug* or they just picked cool sounding Latin words and didn't worry about the grammar.
Hm, that makes sense if we assume Kyubey is the wise man.

Meh, from now on I'll refer to it as its Japanese name, since it actually makes sense. "Magical Girl(,) Magical Madoka"... well, it makes more sense than the Latin, at least. Thanks for the opinion, Raiga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
Thanks for replying so soon and sorry I wasn't clear. She's a normal human like Batman, but assumes the character and costume of a popular magical girl doing it. I was thinking of a play on words like "non-magical magical girl" as a cute catch-phrase for her, but if that's not possible it's okay. Thanks!!
Ok, I get it now.

魔法をできない魔法少女 (The) Magical Girl who Can't Do Magic (Mahou wo dekinai mahou shoujo)
魔法をしない魔法少女 (The) Magical Girl who Doesn't Do Magic (Mahou wo shinai mahou shoujo)

Would these be fine? There's no adjective for "magic", so I had to do the above.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 00:30   Link #1240
Seitsuki
Onee!

Iunno, the whole "non magical magical girl" part seems kinda redundant. Isn't there some easier way to imply it?

Like say, 普通の魔法少女 or 工業の魔法少女?Not sure if it would work, or be understood, but using the same logic you could even simply end up with 工業少女 (technical girl).

If you think about it, Batman is considered a "superhero" even though he has no superpowers as such because it's not so much the powers which we define a superhero with but more the ideals. (think green lantern etc as well). OTOH the whole "magical" part is rather inseperable from MGs in culture from what I've seen so your best bet would probably simply be to explain things clearly.

Tags
song, translation