AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-01, 18:52   Link #1321
babohtea

This thread is 66 pages, so I did not read everything before posting this. So please forgive me if it was previously discussed >.<

Anyhow, skimming of BT's translation, the anime seems to be fairly close to the novels. That being said, I think the premise of Index is really interesting, but the plot so far sucks. I was expecting an epic battle between the Espers and Magicians with Touma and Co. stuck in the middle. Instead, there is this extremely annoying status quo ante bellum conflict between the 3 parties (esper, magician and touma) while little to no character development, with what existing character development limited to plot devices (Touma loses memory).

The premise of Index is extremely interesting and I feel it has so much more potential than what the first 6 volumes of the novel have lived up to. I've heard rumors that the series gets better after this initial "hunch", but I'd wait until the expected season 2 to actually discover how. So then, this is the simple question: Does it get better after volume 6?
Old 2010-01-01, 20:46   Link #1322
ykf566

From the volumes i've read past the anime and from what i've read and heard, yeah it does get better.

Its kind of a shame that that first 6 volumes the anime is based on is nowhere as good as the later volumes. The anime probably would turn some people off (like me...) and might not look so favourable should a second season happen.

Despite how mundane the plots involving Touma are (in the anime at least), i only began being interested in Toaru cause of Accelerator.
Old 2010-01-01, 21:10   Link #1323
cubicjack
Kino fanboy

Yes, it definitely does get better after vol. 6. And it gets a LOT better after vol. 12.
Old 2010-01-01, 21:41   Link #1324
babohtea

Then, by virtue of that it should be safe to assume the anime will get better too. I had a feeling that season 1 was just like an extended exposition designed to be mildly entertaining (but I felt failed at being entertaining)
Old 2010-01-01, 22:13   Link #1325
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Don't forget, everything still depends on the director. The Novel getting better doesn't mean the Anime would to, and that's what I'm worried about.

Though it doesn't hurt to get the author involved...
Old 2010-01-02, 02:32   Link #1326
tsunade666

The first 6 is just introduction part of the characters story and abilities if you ask me. But then again they should add up to vol 7 and 8. Which is kinda an introduction but with a better plot.
But when 9 enters, it will be good because that's the start of daihaseisai or just their cultural festival. After that another introduction with a war battle in vol 11. After that the real epic battle starts. The vol 12 where the 2 main characters starts waging their war. As for the light side theirs touma and dark side theirs accelerator. With the enemy the gakuen toshi and the god's right seat.

Well end point it just get's better as the story goes. Hope for a better director or studio to do this stuff. I'm really worried about the way they do the first season. And railgun has too much fanservice but its just filler because railgun has a short story. While the index has lots of material I hope they don't bombard it with crap...hoping and hoping and lastly hoping.

btw I'm not sure if its kakine or terra that uses the sun rays. I'm a bit confused.
Old 2010-01-02, 08:08   Link #1327
LastResolve

(Wilfriback)
Quote:
Spoiler for black "wings":
Old 2010-01-02, 08:18   Link #1328
ykf566

Check first post in this thread, under volumes 15 you see his wings
Old 2010-01-02, 10:54   Link #1329
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
The first 6 is just introduction part of the characters story and abilities if you ask me. But then again they should add up to vol 7 and 8. Which is kinda an introduction but with a better plot.
But when 9 enters, it will be good because that's the start of daihaseisai or just their cultural festival. After that another introduction with a war battle in vol 11. After that the real epic battle starts. The vol 12 where the 2 main characters starts waging their war. As for the light side theirs touma and dark side theirs accelerator. With the enemy the gakuen toshi and the god's right seat.
Oh okay. A few questions then. Isn't God's right hand Jesus? Are they really going to bring Jesus into the story?
I hope they don't bring Jesus in -_-.

Also, do Touma's powers ever progress beyond "lookie my right hand"?
Old 2010-01-02, 12:14   Link #1330
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Question: What is the purpose of [GROUP]? They're the only underground organization that have both Espers and Magicians, are they working directly for Aleister, if so what does he use them for?
Old 2010-01-02, 13:26   Link #1331
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Oh okay. A few questions then. Isn't God's right hand Jesus? Are they really going to bring Jesus into the story?
I hope they don't bring Jesus in -_-.
NO, God's Right Hand is Michael, Jesus is The Son of God.
Old 2010-01-02, 14:03   Link #1332
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
NO, God's Right Hand is Michael, Jesus is The Son of God.
Oh okay. According to the Bible Jesus sits at the right hand of God, but that might be different from being his "right hand".

How about touma developing his powers?
Old 2010-01-02, 14:51   Link #1333
LastResolve

well i am guesing that touma would be able to destroy anything with his right hand
or maybe turn into something non angelic
Old 2010-01-02, 15:46   Link #1334
tsunade666

his a demon. I'm telling you that guy is a demon. Charming every girl he bumps with.

Isn't group direct command of Crowley? I mean awaki is the only one that can enter the closed chamber. And tsuchimikado goes their and chatting with the up side down man and no one will other quatzl to kill touma other than him. ( the first part of the story ) And lastly he even blackmailed accelerator into joining it using LO. ( is it called blackmailed or cornered him into joining )
Old 2010-01-02, 16:37   Link #1335
Miraluka
Banned

Touma is an inccubus !!!!

ok, ok.
About the Touma Right Hand:

-In accord to Index is not a magic power.
-In accord to Hyouka is not an esper power.
-In accord to Misha/Gabriel's reaction, it can affect angels.
-In accord to Tsuchimikado observation it destroys the illusions of this world.
-In accord to Aleister his level of danger is at Defcon3.
-In accord to Terra this power existed before with a different name.
-Is something very very important(and dangerous) to the magic world ruled by the Christianism.
-And finally, less than 5 persons in the world knows about this "power".
Old 2010-01-02, 18:35   Link #1336
tsunade666

defcon3 is still not clear to me and why crowley classified him as that.

And the 5 people knowing probably are the highest of the highest on their rank.

Probably the pope knowing his the head of cristianism
Fianna
Crowley

As for the 2 more probably Laura has an idea with it for probably not.

And terra is dead so their is only 4 or 3 ( cleared ) known the real meaning behind the imagine breaker.

Though styl probably has a vague idea or his just cautious because it cancels his innocentius.
Because in deep blood arc he ask crowley if its alright for it to leave it like that but crowley said its alright that one has no power a level 0.
Old 2010-01-02, 20:16   Link #1337
Miraluka
Banned

Laura and the Pope are already discarded. I suppose like the science side the magic has their own underground organizations.
Old 2010-01-02, 23:22   Link #1338
babohtea

Quote:
Touma is an inccubus !!!!

ok, ok.
About the Touma Right Hand:

-In accord to Index is not a magic power.
-In accord to Hyouka is not an esper power.
portant(and dangerous) to the magic world ruled by the Christianism.
-And finally, less than 5 persons in the world knows about this "power".
Why can't he cast magic then? Does that mean that his right hand is not his level 0 esper power?
Old 2010-01-02, 23:41   Link #1339
Miraluka
Banned

Is level 0 because his power can't be detected also Aleister hides the Imagine Breaker from the public.
Old 2010-01-02, 23:46   Link #1340
babohtea

Quote:
Is level 0 because his power can't be detected also Aleister hides the Imagine Breaker from the public.
Okay, so he is an esper.
Imagine Break is not his esper power.
Therefore he has some other potential (or pitifully weak) esper power along with his imagine break?

OR -
Does Imagine break make it impossible for him to cast magic, so therefore he is neither esper or magician but also unable to cast magic?
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen