AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2008-09-10, 03:39   Link #8921
arkhangelsk

Those "missiles" move so slowly that they aren't learning much about blocking real missiles (which I assume will be in this story). Obviously, if all he's using are those toy missiles then it is a different story.

Oh, and Striker, if you are doing a based on Halo story, try looking up Erusia on this board - it might help. Otherwise, I know nothing about Halo, so your description is no help to me.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 04:00   Link #8922
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Misiles almost always move slower in anime. Take macross for example, twisting around and moving slow, only speeding up when the scene demands it. As I've said before many times, when it comes to anime, Physics and mathmetical calculation take a backseat.

I don't see reallistic calculations as a reason for saying that the TSAB would be doomed if they ever got their hands on Terran weaponry. Magic was widely used when Mass-based Weaponry was common usage, Belka even altered their bodies to get better use of magic. Obviously magic is at the very least equal to Mass Weaponry.

I don't see a reason to completely tear into a story on the sole base that 'realistically speaking mages can't counter it' A lot of things aren't realistically possible in Nanoha.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 04:16   Link #8923
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

Lol, nice comic Keroko. Umm, I know this is pertaining to Strikers fanfic but I think we're getting a bit off topic. Besides, this is fanfiction, lot's of things can happen.

markesellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 07:26   Link #8924
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker117 View Post
As for orbital bombardment, if they wish to control the galaxy then that would be a bad move because part of control is the peoples support which you will quickly lose if you just go round destroying their homes.
If I were truly cynical, I'd say "Big deal, I'll just move my own population in after I've levelled the place."
It doesn't matter if this empire of yours uses planetary bombardment as an SOP or not. Spaceship-based weapons will have no trouble reaching the surface from orbit. All that's left is deciding the level of damage when the attack hits the target.
Also, as I've mentioned before, their space superiority makes it impossible for the Bureau to deploy its ships in support of planetary operations. Heck, it makes it difficult for the Bureau to have bases on-planets. Aerial mages can defend against ground attacks, but they can do nothing against strikes from orbit. Since you've given them space superiority, the Bureau will have a difficult time dislodging any empire warship from orbit.
On the other hand, a TSAB base doesn't need to look like a conventional military base. Given the size of their devices in inactive form and the fact that they don't need vehicles too much, their bases can look like civilian housing. Which is exactly what they did in A's.

Quote:
after all this is my first fic and i want it to be at least a little successful.
My advice is don't get discouraged when people point out holes in your ideas. That's the whole point of asking for comments. If some elements won't work, discard or change them and move on.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 08:54   Link #8925
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
anything else i may have missed let me know and ill try clear it up, after all this is my first fic and i want it to be at least a little successful.
Best of luck with that! You'll get some good advice here so don't hesitate to post a few drafts and revised drafts here ^^
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 09:06   Link #8926
Kaix
[. . .]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
EDIT: Small fluff...I don't consider it good >_>

Dancing in the Violet Light

Spoiler for Dancing in the Violet Light:
It didn't really feel like exact fluff (to me at least), but the ending was a real pleasant surprise. It was nice to read. There is too little of that pairing around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Saw a pic in the image thread that got the gears turning (or crack flowing ). This thread needs more Hayate fics anyway .

Spoiler for Experimental Mishap:
That was quite something at the end. I was expecting something totally different to happen in the end (don't know what, but not THIS), but it was cute a cute conclusion. Needs a sequel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith View Post
Crossroads

To the place among heavens

…Or the devil´s home.

Spoiler for part 3:

Spoiler for Decision 3:

Spoiler for R/S:

If you have noticed a better grammar thank TSS. I fail at it

Votes end in more or less 19.30 hrs remember Green and Big
I really think B sounds like a great choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Previously on Secret Ambition

Secret Ambition
Scene 3

Spoiler for Scene 3:

And thus the trinity was complete. Big and blue choices please
C. Because it's too funny not to choose it!

Kaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 10:07   Link #8927
Advent000
Inactive Member

Quote:
Crossroads

To the place among heavens

…Or the devil´s home.

Spoiler for part 3:

Spoiler for Decision 3:

Spoiler for R/S:

If you have noticed a better grammar thank TSS. I fail at it

Votes end in more or less 19.30 hrs remember Green and Big
A

I see Fate is gaining.
Advent000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 13:51   Link #8928
Striker117
Brumak Cavalry
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Striker117
Change to Mikazuki's device for those who are interested:
Spoiler for Cloud:

The old design was really just a place holder until i thought of my own device but since i hadn't used it in my fic yet i can change it now without too much hassle hope you like.

Also was planning on posting the next chapter soon which will answer some of the questions people have been asking but my computer automatically restarted itself for an update and i hadn't saved so i have to retype so will be a little later than planned.

Last edited by Striker117; 2008-09-10 at 14:04.
Striker117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 14:26   Link #8929
Vivio Testarossa
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
First, I'll ignore the plausibility of this with the TSAB, since JimmyC is going nicely into it. We'll just call your base setup Power A and Power B. All right?

Given that Power B has space superiority and can use weapons with at least mass destruction strength, it is going to win automatically in a all-out, no holds barred war. It'll just gain space superiority over Power A's planets in turn and bombard them into oblivion whatever the other side's ground superiority.

for atmospheric and ground combat to be major factors, there must be a very good reason why space powers don't use orbital bombardment, either precision or area. Even the inferior side can make ground combat very difficult by making raids. In Star Wars, for example, this is handled by the widespread deployment of difficult to penetrate Theater or Planetary shields, as well as highly effective planetary turbolasers or ion cannon to keep ships from getting close casually. But that doesn't seem to work for your setup.

Another alternative is that they have no precision ability - for example, the power of the guns can't be racked down below say kiloton level, and they presumably want to capture rather than destroy. Otherwise, the opportunity for ground maneuver becomes sorely limited.
---
Specific considerations:

Frankly, if you have to say that the Empire isn't very serious about winning this, it reduces the plausibility of the story. Even if they had other enemies and this is the 5th front for them, the forces fighting this front are still going to be serious.

Getting orbital bombardment out of the picture, against Midchildra's infantry forces, the first thing is to find a way to get rid of all standoff ability from the Empire. If they are allowed even Terran grade standoffs like cruise missiles or SRBMs, or AMRAAMs, they'll be hitting Midchildran facilities or even individual mages at ranges and speeds where they cannot reply, even if they are AAA-S mages. If the mages go on the offensive, even with terrain masking they'll be engaged dozens of kilometers out by long range SAMs without being able to reply (if the SAMs are in an elevated position or there are AAM equipped fighters...). It is hard to imagine anything other than a slaughter under such conditions. The fight has to be kept direct fire and WVR.

A possible idea is to sell they don't have missiles. It'll be a hard sell, but here are some ideas:
1) Power gap: Right now, we have chemical explosives, and then we have a jump up by orders of magnitude to nukes. If we assume they similarly cannot fill the gap, then maybe the emphasis on energy or plasma weapons, even though they are straight-running, is because they are more able to regulate its power and thus fill the gap b/w conventionals and nukes - they traded off LR accuracy for more usable firepower. Of course, that'll mean upping the power of the weapons (for air to air weapons, for example, just to make them better in destruction than our missiles means giving the beams over 100 pounds of explosive worth of energy), but at least it is better than a situation where the mages can't even reply.
2) Uber-advanced ECM in their civ: But that's limited because the TSAB barely seems to have concepts of EW - it won't take long for the Empire to figure this out.

Of course, you can beef up the mages too, but by the time you can beef them up enough, they won't look much like TSAB mages anymore and you might as well say this is a war b/w your Empire and a self-created, TSAB-inspired organization.
All I can say to that is read the "rules of anime", I think that you are thinking too hard about it.

@Striker117 Keep up the good work.

Thank for help with signature Evil Rick.
Vivio Testarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 15:54   Link #8930
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Change to Mikazuki's device for those who are interested:
Spoiler for Cloud:

The old design was really just a place holder until i thought of my own device but since i hadn't used it in my fic yet i can change it now without too much hassle hope you like.

Also was planning on posting the next chapter soon which will answer some of the questions people have been asking but my computer automatically restarted itself for an update and i hadn't saved so i have to retype so will be a little later than planned.
... glaive Not that it actually matters

Falling Soul: [I'm telling you call me sempai]

Vivio: At least he's not orange

Falling Soul: [Orange is the color of awesome]

Secret Ambition update:
Voting will end in two hours!
Current vote:
A:
B: III
C: IIIII
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 16:36   Link #8931
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

Votes ended. Results

A=6
B=3
C=3

You have activated my trAp card...
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 17:03   Link #8932
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:

Secret Ambition
Scene 3

Spoiler for Scene 3:

And thus the trinity was complete. Big and blue choices please
C

Did I make it on time?
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 17:25   Link #8933
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
Votes ended. Results

A=6
B=3
C=3

You have activated my trAp card...
*wipes forehead* phew my mistake didn't bite me in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
C

Did I make it on time?
Yep only 35 minutes left~
Old 2008-09-10, 18:00   Link #8934
TheShinySword
*Author

And with that the voting was closed, Yuuno will scream
Old 2008-09-10, 18:02   Link #8935
Striker117
Brumak Cavalry
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Striker117
Quote:
... glaive Not that it actually matters

Falling Soul: [I'm telling you call me sempai]

Vivio: At least he's not orange

Falling Soul: [Orange is the color of awesome]
That's funny, I've got some FS dialog in the second chapter and i dunno if i'm doing so good, he seems to be coming off as more of a jerk. Anyway when i post it i guess you can point out where i went wrong if i did.

I chose a glaive long before i even started this fic as along with claymores they are my weapons of choice.
Striker117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 18:04   Link #8936
TheShinySword
*Author

Quote:
That's funny, I've got some FS dialog in the second chapter and i dunno if i'm doing so good, he seems to be coming off as more of a jerk. Anyway when i post it i guess you can point out where i went wrong if i did.

I chose a glaive long before i even started this fic as along with claymores they are my weapons of choice.
You can always PM the dialog to me and I can look it over
Old 2008-09-10, 21:34   Link #8937
Naolin
The dustbunnies did it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiGatou View Post
Spoiler for Yu-Gi-Oh crack, NanoFate style:
I'd so play the game if it was like that.
Naolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 21:56   Link #8938
TheShinySword
*Author

What's this two in two days *shock*

Secret Ambition
Scene 4

Spoiler for Scene 4:

Think carefully about who you want working and who you want visiting...

Remember big and blue
Old 2008-09-10, 21:57   Link #8939
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
And with that the voting was closed, Yuuno will scream
scream, Yuuno. Scream. Cue awkward moment as everyone in Midori-ya stares at him xD

edit: ga, I fail! tss udpdated before i posted! =/

C. Need... more... Chrono....
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 22:10   Link #8940
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

And Yuuno didnt go honorably...

And lets make Zaffira suffer C

Edit: page claim for Yuuno
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags