AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-16, 04:30   Link #41
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Hmm... yea~ I agree... i never thought US would have lost this match... guess things can't be predict...lolz~

*sob *sob

I wish i could stay up at night to watch live show... but this week is my examination week... how sad... *sob* *sob*

Can't wait to see Saw Yi Khy to perform in swimming...hehehe... hope he'll do fine, he's once my classmates lolz ^^ never knew he really make it into Olympic... I can't stop crying for him~

Heh~!!!!!! Bush is a
Spoiler:

Do i get any idea wrong here??
Yuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 05:25   Link #42
cdpinoyx01

The current USA basketball team isn't calling itself a dream team... unliek that of 1992 and 1996... 1992 could call itself a dream team... its lineup was packed full of hall of famers. For example Jordan, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Bird, Johnson... on and on....

This year the team is pretty young... Most of the experience lies in Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan.... Wade, James, and Anthony were only first year NBA players this year.

Many people invited to the U.S team this year rejected the invitation due to various reasons... Tmac, Carter, Garnet, Kobe, Shaq, Hamilton... etc, etc.... for reasons such as security, surgery, court, etc.

Another thing is that the U.S team has only been together for less than a month. Many of the international teams have been playing together for months at this point.
cdpinoyx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 05:46   Link #43
Lefteris_D

Latest Score

Women Basketball: Japan 79 - 73 Nigeria
Old 2004-08-16, 11:31   Link #44
Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
I prefer total domination any day. No offence.
Hey, there's no glory without any competition.

If we draw a parallell to soccer, a match between Sweden vs. San Marino, which ends always something like 6-0 to Sweden is much less interesting than say the match between Sweden and the Netherlands in this year's European Championship, which was finished only after penalties (which Sweden lost).

I must say I agree with method. For a NBA-player there's not much motivation to win the Olympics, with a up-coming season and the low status on the Olympic tournament.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 14:01   Link #45
Izzy
Corrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
I heard that the Iranian judo champion is not going to participate because he might go up agianst an israeli judo competitor--Some thing about a beef between iran and israel is holding him back.

Is this true?
Its on the today's newspaper....

"Iranian judo champ DQ'd for being overweight, reportedly to avoid facing Israel"

that is all.....
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 14:16   Link #46
Shousha

Send a message via ICQ to Shousha Send a message via AIM to Shousha Send a message via MSN to Shousha Send a message via Yahoo to Shousha
Thumbs up

Yesterday, history was made.
The infamous "Dream Team" of USA was defetead, by a LONG range (19 points?) by my home team, Puerto Rico. USA was unbelivable strong, has only lost 3 times in the olympics 2 of them against the former USSR. This was the first time the dream team has fallen since they incorporated NBA members (1992) and the most range in a defeat... 19 points.

Me, as a 100%Puertorican, feel proud of my team and want to congratulate all those friends of mine who made history. This goes for you, Carlitos... Even If we don't win any medals in basketball, we have made history!!

ESO PUERTO RICO PUÑEEETTTAAAAAAAAA!!!!! ^_^

*PS* -after reading the rest of the posts-
Listen gringos, don't be such crybabies now... perhaps it is true that you haven't got the all-godly team leaded by MJ. But truth is that ANY country with enough heart and determination can change that. And like someone said earlier... you can't win all the time for all eternity. That would be somewhat boring.

Maybe this is our year of brilliance!!! Our year to take the gold. *starts having seizures* @_@
Shousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 15:28   Link #47
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

What's even more embarassing is that Puerto Rico is what, a territory of the United States? We've been undermined by those dang island dwellers!
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 16:09   Link #48
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shousha
*PS* -after reading the rest of the posts-
Listen gringos, don't be such crybabies now... perhaps it is true that you haven't got the all-godly team leaded by MJ. But truth is that ANY country with enough heart and determination can change that. And like someone said earlier... you can't win all the time for all eternity. That would be somewhat boring.

Maybe this is our year of brilliance!!! Our year to take the gold. *starts having seizures* @_@
Not to burst your bubble or anything its not like we sent the best we had to offer. Kobe, Shaq, Kidd, T-Mack, Garnett and a dozen other all-stars aren't at the Olympics, we sent Duncan, Iverson and a bunch of rookies, this was no Dream Team to begin with, its the Second String Team. Which sucks since all the players are selllouts and rather play for the dollar instead out of competition, and pride. Atleast this team USA had the guts, and enough pride in their sport to try. USA already lost to Italy, I wasn't surprised PR beat them, hopefully this will wake some of those guys up. And they can get some chemstry going. Hell, even their coach was like "I'm not confident in this team." and it SHOWS.

PR had impressive shooting though, I think USA shot more, too bad none of those extra actually made it in.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 16:37   Link #49
wendal
8th Hokage

Send a message via MSN to wendal Send a message via Yahoo to wendal
Talking

well, its great to have the Athens Olympics but i dun like summer ones, cause there is no fun and nothing much to do... BUT Girls Beach VolleyBall is great and super BUT I will be awaiting for the WINTERS GAME/
wendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 23:50   Link #50
Shousha

Send a message via ICQ to Shousha Send a message via AIM to Shousha Send a message via MSN to Shousha Send a message via Yahoo to Shousha
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
Not to burst your bubble or anything its not like we sent the best we had to offer. Kobe, Shaq, Kidd, T-Mack, Garnett and a dozen other all-stars aren't at the Olympics, we sent Duncan, Iverson and a bunch of rookies, this was no Dream Team to begin with, its the Second String Team. Which sucks since all the players are selllouts and rather play for the dollar instead out of competition, and pride. Atleast this team USA had the guts, and enough pride in their sport to try. USA already lost to Italy, I wasn't surprised PR beat them, hopefully this will wake some of those guys up. And they can get some chemstry going. Hell, even their coach was like "I'm not confident in this team." and it SHOWS.

PR had impressive shooting though, I think USA shot more, too bad none of those extra actually made it in.

I havent said all hope is lost for USA... you guys can still win medals and we can still lose too. and to correct the baka who said we are USA territory.... allow me to clarify that, yes it is true that we are a colony of the US. but.... we still have our own Olympics team unlike hawaii or alaska, who are just like any other state of the american nation.

we count as another independent country in any means, except for the free exchange, which we dont have.... thanks to US.

But back to the point, this is still a great victory for my country. Even if we don't classify for a medal, we are still going to celebrate when my team comes back. And they will be called "heroes".

Oh and.. besides all that, when you lose at a game, only the people who lack true sporting spirit complain. Like we say in my country: "A llorar pa maternidad" which means "don't be a bitch"....

PS: ohh and.... i almost forgot, all those players you mentioned, play better than any puertorican in that team, in fact.....the players who lost miserably, play better than anyone on that team, but, like the word expresses: TEAM. TEAMWORK. You should learn a little more of that. It could get you victory sometimes.....

(hhmm..... same thing happened to the lakers, with a kobe or a shaq???)

*ponders*

PUERTORICAN PRIDE MAMABICHOSSSSS!!!!

Last edited by Shousha; 2004-08-17 at 00:01.
Old 2004-08-17, 00:05   Link #51
eLstar
(^_^)v

Wow, the Raptors must feel stupid now for letting go of Arroyo.

///_^
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 00:17   Link #52
Shousha

^ I agree....
Old 2004-08-17, 23:54   Link #53
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Okay, really, how the heck could the U.S. lose to Puerto Rico at basketball of all things? 92-73... what an embarassment. What we needed was the original Dream Team!
They're all old men now, what good would they do? And they won their medals.

I hate to see the whining about this in the newspapers - one local writer in particular was frothing at the mouth. It's not very sporting to say, "Oh yeah!? If my daddy was here, he'd whip y'all's butts!!"

I don't see why Puerto Rico can't get some credit for putting a good team together and playing their game. And I hope that the US team isn't made to regret playing because of all the whining.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 14:59   Link #54
Kowalski

Finally, there's some success for Sweden in the olympics. Both Jan-Ove Waldner and the double team Waldner/Jörgen Persson has advanced in the table tennis tournament. Waldner won against Ma Lin, the Chinese who is ranked second in the world, and has now advanced to the quarter finals. The double team beat the Kong Linghui/Hao Wang (the second chinese team of two) and has also reached the quarter finals.

By the way, I think too that the Americans should give some credit to Puerto Rico for beating USA.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 16:15   Link #55
Shousha

I don't remember the name of the country, but in women's gymnastics... Russia got silver and US got bronze. (or vice-versa?)

In any case, I love gymnastics... truly talented little girls with BIG muscles and insane flexibility. ^_^
Old 2004-08-19, 11:43   Link #56
Shousha

w00t~~! ^^

another victory for PR!! PUR:83 ANG-80

Australia tomorrow and Greece on Monday. Don't miss 'em.
Old 2004-08-19, 12:24   Link #57
HopelessLover

Wow, did you guys see the incredible come back Pual Hamm made last night to get the gold? It was awsome.

And U.S. number 1 girls vollyball team lost to the dominicans
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 12:43   Link #58
Ending

In todays news:

"6 athletes busted from doping -weight-lifting experiencing a new boom?"
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 14:05   Link #59
Shousha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Wow, did you guys see the incredible come back Pual Hamm made last night to get the gold? It was awsome.

And U.S. number 1 girls vollyball team lost to the dominicans

I saw that comeback.... Hamm fell during one of the excercies, at the landing... nasty deduction of points there. but then on the high bar, he scored 9.7 or something... the highest score i've seen in the olympics on that specific event.
it was a perfect/high difficulty performance. absolutely astonishing.

edit: I'm sorry.... I just HAVE to share this with you'all....
Spoiler:

I couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited by Shousha; 2004-08-20 at 09:02.
Old 2004-08-20, 16:54   Link #60
7thMethuselah

Man women semi final tennis was without a doubt the best tennis game of the entire tournament. Justine henin vs Anastasia Myskina (Myskaya?).
Both the first and second set could've gone either way but eventually both henin and Myskina each won a set with 7-5. Then came a real thriller, Henin break in the first game in set three, then lloses 5 (!) games in a row to get 1-5 behind (she looked tired at that time). Suddenly she finds some new hope and manages to get even to a 5 - 5 . Myskina at that time started playing very frustrated, was able to take a 5-6 lead but lost the final set in 8-6.

An extremely tense game! I'm happy Henin won but the russian girl could've won just as easilly. What a game, we need more great games like this !
I hope Myskina wins the camp for bronze she really earned it!
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote