AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-04, 03:35   Link #61
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Heh, I never got into the whole graphics rage. I can play a game with lower graphic easilly. Heck, if this game had KotoR level graphics I'd still play it.

Which is also one of the reasons I'm going to buy this for the PS3. The graphics don't really phase me (and I'm not even sure my laptop could play the game full-throttle anyway) and I have been looking to expand my PS3 library with more RPG's. Well, that, and that really big and shiny full HD tv that sits on my room hooked to my PS3. That beats gaming on a laptop any day.

I might think about picking up the PC version later along the line. Considering the toolkit that version is going to be filled with mods, after all.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 04:08   Link #62
Statonxyb
hrm

I got my CE copy for the X360 around 4PM today and gave it for a spin a few hours later.

Although I'm not very far in, I'm enjoying the game immensely. The writing is of amazing stature that BioWare is known for, the gameplay/combat is great, and the story is of epic proportions (thus far).

The different origin stories do a great job easing you into the game and setting the background for your character before throwing you out into the world and into the conflict that threatens all of mankind. This precursor to the actual storyline does what most games do not: It gives the player an actual reason for wanting to crack some skulls, as you experienced your character's past firsthand rather than rely on a character's flashbacks or other tools to invoke an emotional response and a reason for diving into the story and the character.

Origin stories, for those who don't know (directly from Wikipedia):
("The player will begin his or her journey in one of the six Origin stories which serve as an introductory point for the players and present the world from their personal point of view. The Origin chosen determines who the character is and by the same measure how NPCs (party and non-party) will react to the player. Elves for example are often viewed as second rate citizenry."

The gameplay and combat bring conjures memories of playing Baldur's Gate back when it first released when I was 12 years old; though if I had to directly associate it with a game, it would be Knights of the Old Republic, as if you've played that you'll notice some similarities right off the bat. The combat can be paused at any time if you bring up the radial menu (similar to Mass Effect, but for some reason I don't find this one as annoying), which is used for issuing various commands and other options.

On the downside (at least for the X360 version), the game's graphics aren't exactly spectacular. The environment (namely the trees, grass) look like garbage and the game's textures are a bit smeared at times. The load times can be frustrating (I don't mean the loading that occurs when you load your game, but the few second pauses you get when approaching an NPC for a cutscene), but are easily remedied by installing the game to your hard drive.

All in all, Dragon Age: Origins is a must for any RPG and dark-fantasy fans alike; whether it's the amazing fusion of Baldur's Gate and KOTOR or the gory, oblivion-impending theme, this game deserves to be on your shelf. The greatest WRPG has done it again.

...Though, if you have a nice computer, pick up the PC version, as it allows Dragon Age: Origins to shine to its maximum.
Old 2009-11-04, 06:36   Link #63
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yee gods, did I mishear, or did the Video Review of Gametrailers actually call the game's -quote- borderline insane length 'out of place in this day and age?'

What? Even RPG's need to be quick fixes or something? I thought borderline insane length of a story was why people play RPG's in the first place.
Old 2009-11-04, 08:18   Link #64
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

im having a hard time making a half decent character (male)
Old 2009-11-04, 09:02   Link #65
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

If they said that, they're idiots that don't get what an RPG is meant to be. jebus...

Mmm well watched it now, good review otherwise, but that comment about game length is fairly silly. I lol'd @ the gore on the characters. Game looks awesome, can't wait for it to turn up.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2009-11-04 at 09:17.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 09:04   Link #66
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
im having a hard time making a half decent character (male)
Ahaha, yes those generators do take some practice. You could always cycle to the presets and just adjust one you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
If they said that, they're idiots that don't get what an RPG is meant to be. jebus...
I'm still having trouble believing what I heard. Maybe I just misunderstood...

As for me... despite all my boasting, I bought the PC version. The reason? The European PS3 version won't be out until the 20th. Now, I pride myself in my patience, but waiting 16 days while the PC version is right on front of my eyes?

Not even a second of doubt.

Installing now. <3
Old 2009-11-04, 09:28   Link #67
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

i use the presents, but all my chars end up having skinnyish bony heads ._. I'll screen shot one later.
Old 2009-11-04, 09:31   Link #68
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

They said it Keroko, I went back and listened to it 3 times in shock.
Old 2009-11-04, 09:54   Link #69
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*ruffles hair in confused frustration* But that's like saying firing a gun in an FPS is out of date in this day and age! Or driving a vehicle in a racing game! Long, time consuming story is what defines the RPG genre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
In any case, installed the game and redeemed and download all my bonus items (I think like 10 in total? ), but I for the life of me can't find where the heck to buy and download the Warden's Keep DLC. They've touted it as a day 1 DLC, but it ain't so day 1 if I can't find it lol.
Click refresh when in the 'available content' tab. That'll make it appear.

And can you give me a couple of links to where you got those bonus items? So far I only have those from the flash game and those for buying the game. <_<

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-11-04 at 10:15.
Old 2009-11-04, 10:33   Link #70
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Never heard of the game until recently and I've been following it ever since. I plan to purchase the PS3-Version when it comes out or at least I planned to do so until I stumbled upon some footage of the combat-system.
It looks slow, really, really slow. It does remind me of Kotors combat, which I liked but it's been a while so I'm not sure if I liked the system itself or I simply didn't notice because of all the awesomeness going on it being a star wars game.

Besides that I'm sure I'll like it. I love RPGs, I love BioWare. It's basically a no-brainer but still.. is the combat really that bad or does it just look so boring because you're watching and not playing it yourself?
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 10:56   Link #71
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
i use the presents, but all my chars end up having skinnyish bony heads ._. I'll screen shot one later.
Hah! Beat you to it!

Meet Kharan Cousland. I'll try to get better screens of him, and I'm still tweaking the graphics, but I like how he turned out. Though he does make me wonder whether I should put 'adopted' in his bio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzia View Post
Besides that I'm sure I'll like it. I love RPGs, I love BioWare. It's basically a no-brainer but still.. is the combat really that bad or does it just look so boring because you're watching and not playing it yourself?
Actually, in my opinion the combat is faster than KotoR, so if you enjoyed KotoR you should be more than safe here.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-11-04 at 11:37.
Old 2009-11-04, 11:56   Link #72
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

i had to go to work, ya know.. how I buy the games I get? :P

and I ment pics of how bad they turn out.
Old 2009-11-04, 12:04   Link #73
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Yee gods, did I mishear, or did the Video Review of Gametrailers actually call the game's -quote- borderline insane length 'out of place in this day and age?'

What? Even RPG's need to be quick fixes or something? I thought borderline insane length of a story was why people play RPG's in the first place.
Wow I can't believe they actually wrote that. If that's what this day and age is then that's what's out of place not the length of this game. Insane length is exactly what I want from my RPGs long as they story is good. Just get sucked into the game and lose hours of your life at a time .

Of course I'll have to wait on that since I do have a birthday later in the week so should be able to get it then .
Old 2009-11-04, 14:11   Link #74
Jays

Imagine the look on my face when I was just clicking the buttons on top to familiarize myself with the UI, when I stumbled upon the "Tactics" menu, here let my give you guys visual depiction;

--> --> --> -->

I um.. am very, very satisfied with my purchase. To say the least the best thing about FFXII was the gameplay and Gambit system, I am glad that Bioware read my mind and has implemented this wonderful system. Um... and it's even more in depth than in FFXII.

-

Enough foaming at the mouth, from the three or so hours I've spent playing this is brings back loads of memories from Baldur's Gate and just that era of gaming in general. The Tactics/combat system is super deep, as is your party controls and customization, and I just all the more too happy.

If there is anything that I can detract from this, it has to be that it's another Tolkien based game, man those are getting fucking boring. Dwarves, dragons, elves, ect. All of that ridiculous shit, fucking eh I have such a bad taste in my mouth from Oblivion man I hate that game.

Mini rant over.

Side note, everyone else notice the gratuitous amounts of blood in this game? Good God, after I finished killing those rats my main character and the dog were drenched in blood, this carried over to their conversation with that old bitch which was hilarious just because he's a mute covered in blood, sounds like the workings of a serial killer to me.

One more thing, you're character doesn't talk, man I'm tired of being a mute. In a sense this fails to give your character a visible personality, something that Bioware did magnificently with Mass Effect, disappointed that they didn't do something to that extent.

PS. (I swear this is the final thing) Downloading DLC for the PC is one HUGE bitch.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 16:50   Link #75
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

DLC big? You obviously haven't seen MMO patches.

Anyway, as I feared my poor laptop doesn't run Dragon Age quite right unless I drastically alter the graphics. And even then it's not up to snuff. Oh well, at least it's playable, but a few more tweaking options to make it run smoothly would have been appreciated.

Beyond that teeny-tiny little 'meh', I am enjoying this game tremendously. I am definitely buying the PS3 version when it comes out in Europe for maximum HD enjoyment.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:16   Link #76
Statonxyb
hrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Side note, everyone else notice the gratuitous amounts of blood in this game? Good God, after I finished killing those rats my main character and the dog were drenched in blood, this carried over to their conversation with that old bitch which was hilarious just because he's a mute covered in blood, sounds like the workings of a serial killer to me.
Yeah, that aspect had me in stitches. Killed a few rats and then it cuts to a scene and it looks like I just got done swimming in a pool of blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko
DLC big? You obviously haven't seen MMO patches.
Both the Stone Prisoner & Warden's Keep combined are 323 MB. He's most likely referring to the fact that DLC and code redeeming for the PC version has been hell because BioWare's new social site is complete garbage.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:24   Link #77
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

heres what i keep coming up with

how does he look? I tried to get him to look like me but damn it something always seems wrong and i start over.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:50   Link #78
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Looks kinda cute I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statonxyb View Post
Both the Stone Prisoner & Warden's Keep combined are 323 MB. He's most likely referring to the fact that DLC and code redeeming for the PC version has been hell because BioWare's new social site is complete garbage.
... Dwah? Hell? All you have to do is go to the url the card tells you, enter the code, boot the game and download. The game even installs the thing for you. How in the world can you call that hard?
Old 2009-11-04, 17:52   Link #79
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Looks kinda cute I think.

... Dwah? Hell? All you have to do is go to the url the card tells you, enter the code, boot the game and download. The game even installs the thing for you. How in the world can you call that hard?
Cute!? lol really? cute as in Eligable for the gay relationship path? XD

and yea downloading the DLC was eeaaassssyyyy with a extra y
Old 2009-11-04, 17:56   Link #80
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Cute!? lol really? cute as in Eligable for the gay relationship path? XD
Cute as in 'will be popular with the girls' cute.

Depending on what voice you gave him your idea may fit too. I'm still laughing when I checked the achievements and noted that you have to clear all the romance paths for one. That is going to cause lots of wailing and moaning for those completionists who want nothing to do with that.

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360