AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-03, 11:41   Link #2261
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

JediNight, as you will see if you read my blog, I feel totally and completely differently about the ending. You expect this to be a normal anime? It is not.
Spoiler for ending:
And Matrim? In the eye of the beholder, as you imply. I love Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, lol. Glorious and humane humor, a great character, superb voice-acting, unequalled animation, etc.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 11:56   Link #2262
Cyz
"Show it to me"

I just found an awesome pic of Aaeru and Neviril.
Spoiler for Aaeru and Neviril:

yuri FTW!!!
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 12:19   Link #2263
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

There is a word for "at first I was disappointed with [in this case the ending of Simoun] but when I thought about it some more I actually liked it": rationalization. Which ties in with what I was saying before about whoever buys into and gets invested in [in this case Simoun] being inclined to whitewash its faults. (I'm no exception, I just don't do it for Simoun.)
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 12:49   Link #2264
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
There is a word for "at first I was disappointed with [in this case the ending of Simoun] but when I thought about it some more I actually liked it": rationalization.
It absolutely could be that, I agree. In my case it was more something of a mental gear-shift because I'd mis-anticipated things.

I'm definitely not saying it's the best ending ever, and it's certainly not one with which everyone's likely to be happy. But equally, it put me in mind of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and that's no bad thing at all.
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 13:04   Link #2265
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

You could claim we are turning a blind eye to the faults of Simoun but you could also say we have put the ending into perspective and after thinking about the series as a whole and not about what we personally expected to happen in the end we have come to a conclusion that the ending was actually a good one. A good example would be the ending of Mai-HiME which by itself is not too bad and I initially did not hate it but it becomes non-sensical and annoying when one thinks of it in relation to the previous episodes. I think we have the opposite case in Simoun. But of course, I might be trying to rationalize and make myself feel better about the ending. But even if I am doing exactly that while pretending that I am not, I wouldn't generalise and put everyone who feels the same about the ending in that category.

Quote:
In my opinion, the depth of your frustration helps prove the greatness of the show.
I am not so sure about that as it would mean that Avenger and Mai-HiME are absolutely awesome just because their endings frustrated me so much. The frustration can prove the greatness of a show up to the ending, true but even a mediocre series can frustrate one greatly if the ending is total nonsense or one that basically tells you "Buy the game/wait six months for the DVD to see the last episode/read the manga if you want to feel any sense of closure or just want to see what happens next". And of course in more plot driven series a bad ending can ruin the whole experience.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 13:31   Link #2266
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
You could claim we are turning a blind eye to the faults of Simoun but you could also say we have put the ending into perspective and after thinking about the series as a whole and not about what we personally expected to happen in the end we have come to a conclusion that the ending was actually a good one.
Maybe, but I was surprised how many people who were otherwise very positive towards Simoun said as their first reaction that they were disappointed with the ending. That half the fandom was wrong in their expectations is about as likely as that the ending was only half good

Quote:
But of course, I might be trying to rationalize and make myself feel better about the ending. But even if I am doing exactly that while pretending that I am not, I wouldn't generalise and put everyone who feels the same about the ending in that category.
I don't mean this as though people are pretending to like it or pretending not to rationalize. The kind of rationalization I'm talking about is subconscious, you could say involuntary. It's a natural human thing to do; it's not like the people who'd do it would be less intelligent for it or have less integrity or anything like that.

I'm not sure what you mean about generalizing people into a category there. I'm not trying to say that everyone who liked the ending is rationalizing. More like there's a good chance that the people who didn't like it at first but then "learned" to like it through various means might be.

And NO thanks to you for reminding me of the Avenger ending I do agree with your objection to KC point, though.

Last edited by yononaka; 2006-11-03 at 13:46. Reason: the first sentence inadvertently had dual meaning
Old 2006-11-03, 13:52   Link #2267
Matrim

Quote:
Maybe, but I was surprised how many people who were otherwise very positive towards Simoun at first said that they were disappointed with the ending. That half the fandom was wrong in their expectations is about as likely as that the ending was only half good
Well, the expectations were sky high, it has to be noted. The way I see it if one does not see what he personally wants to happen he is bound to be disappointed. But after getting over this he is more likely to really assess the ending without thinking so much about his own expectation and paying more attention to what happened in the end as opposed to what he wanted to see happening but didn't. So I think in most cases there are bound to be people who are initially disappointed but then change their mind and rationalizing and wishful thinking are not the only reasons for that.

Quote:
I don't mean this as though people are pretending to like it or pretending not to rationalize. The kind of rationalization I'm talking about is subconscious, you could say involuntary. It's a natural human thing to do; it's not like the people who'd do it would be less intelligent for it or have less integrity or anything like that.
I get that, I didn't mean that I was deliberately pretending that the ending is better than I actually think it is, it was an attempt to point out that I might be doing this involuntary, I guess it wasn't worded too well.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about generalizing people into a category there. I'm not trying to say that everyone who liked the ending is rationalizing. More like there's a good chance that the people who didn't like it at first but then "learned" to like it through various means might be.
It seems I hadn't understood correctly your previous post, I think I was misled by the word "whoever" but since you don't mean everyone I can only agree with that.

Old 2006-11-03, 14:19   Link #2268
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Ending spoilers:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Wow, it feels really good to write about Simoun again. Seems like it's been ages

Quote:
You seem to like Suzumiya Haruhi too, so sorry you fail.
D:
Oh, so you're "that guy," huh?

Quote:
I almost got a ly moe overdose from just one episode. Character driven series become unbearable if you don't like the characters but I might try one more episode due to excessive boredom that I am feeling today. Wait for my rant.
You can sit there and honestly tell me that you didn't like "uguu"?
I recommend trying up to episode three, since there's not a lot that happens in two.
And, for what it's worth, I've been assured by many people that there is indeed a plot (a great one, at that), so fret not about that. And it's not a harem show, either.

I'm not blind to the shows faults at all. I still get a bit irritated whenever I think about Anglus and how none of the explanation for that gaping plothole was even hinted at. However, it's a lot like love: despite the other person having flaws, the good points will ultimately outweigh the bad, and you'll find acceptance. There's no perfect person, and there's no perfect show.

Last edited by FatPianoBoy; 2006-11-03 at 14:31.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 22:49   Link #2269
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I may be rationalizing away problems, but if I am, it certainly is quite deeply subconscious. All I can feel in myself is how great the ending is, resonating still. Not tied up neatly so that the story is signed, sealed, delivered, and gone from my mind. Definite similarities to YKK and Haibane Renmei in that regard. And I think I was fairly clear about problems with, for example, the storyboarding of episode 19. It's just that the strengths of the show, including that episode, overwhelmed any problems, for me at least.

I agree with Matrim, however, that my statement about frustration proving greatness is laying it on a little thick. Thanks for reining me in. The remarkable fact that yononaka continues to monitor the thread of this show he doesn't think he likes may prove something, though. Not sure what. Perhaps negative rationalizations are as easy as positive ones?

As for Kanon, although I myself like it a lot, it has about the most moe per square centimetre of any show I've seen, and I can well imagine someone gagging on it after about 30 seconds. You definitely do have to like at least some characters in a show, and not be repelled by too many others, in order to have a chance of liking it.

One difference between Simoun and Strawberry Panic is that StoPani is full of moe characters and Simoun has nary a one, in my opinion.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-11-03 at 23:10.
Old 2006-11-03, 23:48   Link #2270
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The remarkable fact that yononaka continues to monitor the thread of this show he doesn't think he likes may prove something, though. Not sure what. Perhaps negative rationalizations are as easy as positive ones?
If you're even half-seriously suggesting that the fact that I sometimes look at this thread is yet another proof of the greatness of Simoun, you really are laying it on a little thick If you're suggesting something else, well, I thought you guys wanted to get 2500 posts but I can probably refrain from posting here again if it's a problem.
Old 2006-11-04, 01:03   Link #2271
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yononaka View Post
If you're even half-seriously suggesting that the fact that I sometimes look at this thread is yet another proof of the greatness of Simoun, you really are laying it on a little thick. If you're suggesting something else, well, I thought you guys wanted to get 2500 posts but I can probably refrain from posting here again if it's a problem.
What I was saying is that it's theoretically just as likely that you're kidding yourself about the show's faults as it is that I'm kidding myself about the show's strengths.

But now that you mention it.... I guess that "thinks he does" was there because I was wondering whether you actually disliked the show as much as you think you do. At least it appears to hold a certain fascination for you that other shows you don't much like may not. So perhaps your coming here does demonstrate the show's ability to fascinate, if not its greatness.

I do keep testing my own fascination, since it seems excessive even to me. I've been looking at various episodes recently, but I keep finding them at least as moving as I did before. Fully invested, lol.

I certainly wasn't telling you to go away. But when you come to a thread to tell a show's admirers that they are lying to themselves, you should be able to accept a little forceful resistance, shouldn't you?
Old 2006-11-04, 02:17   Link #2272
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Spoiler for opinion about Kanon:

Last edited by warainagara; 2006-11-04 at 03:08.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 10:17   Link #2273
Matrim

Since we seem to be on the topic of Kanon, I will just say I watched the second episode and hated it. Rarely has a series managed to get on my nerves so much in just two episodes. If anyone is interested in my rant, it's on my blog (see my sig). I guess KyoAni's recent works are just not my cup of tea (though FMP:Fumoffu is awesome).

Old 2006-11-05, 00:14   Link #2274
animes25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme View Post
Spoiler for episode 26:

in fact the theory(it could end in a fanfic) that I am thinking to write here about how the simoun fly and from where they are, could explain all what you are saying and it will be in agree, the problem that I am having here is how to explain the Aeru/Neviril/Amuria relations because it will end with Aeru/Neviril love and I dont think that everyone will like this, even me.
But to explain the story seems to be the only way
animes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 06:10   Link #2275
catcher

Quote:
Since we seem to be on the topic of Kanon, I will just say I watched the second episode and hated it. Rarely has a series managed to get on my nerves so much in just two episodes. If anyone is interested in my rant, it's on my blog (see my sig). I guess KyoAni's recent works are just not my cup of tea (though FMP:Fumoffu is awesome).
When I read other bloggers' posts about Kanon, all those fanboys gushing about uguu, I get dizzy and feel like vomiting. But we can't do anything about that really, it's their blog. If majority of anime audience (read: fanboys) demand moe, then the suppliers will deliver. Those of us who don't follow this line can only do our part by promoting more deserving shows, like Simoun for one. But I commend you for posting that rant on Kanon, it's good to have non-mainstream views for a change.
catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 07:48   Link #2276
JediNight
キズランダム

I'll watch what I believe is "good" basically. Which is a bit more nitpicky than most, so I guess I'm not that mainstream either. Even despite being dissatisfied with the ending to Simoun, overall it was a good series. Asatte no Houkou is good right now, and Code Geass seems like it has promise.

For mainstream stuff, while Deathnote is insanely popular right off the bat it seems, I think it more or less is deserving as a good series. Certainly better than other mainstream series such as Inuyasha, Naruto, Bleach, etc.

So while mainstream doesn't automatically mean something sucks, it doesn't mean its great either.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 09:33   Link #2277
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Helical moter "Core-2 Duo" technology?

Caution !!

All Core-2 duo type helical-moter technology is authorized by Temps-Spatium(T.M) shrine!!
The person or INC. who has reproduction copy of core-2 duo type helical-moter have to permission to Temps-Spatium (T.M)

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-11-05 at 23:51.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 10:44   Link #2278
musouka

You know, you guys. I've been following this thread for a long time, and I think there's some excellent discussion here. I also understand feeling bitter that Simoun doesn't have the widespread appeal you think it deserves, because I agree 100%. I loved this series.

Having said that, this elitist attitude is really getting on my nerves. I loved Simoun. I'm also enjoying Kanon. I also like (GASP) mainstream shounen, like Kekkaishi. Gee, I guess this means I'm a horrible, slobbering "fanboy" for not just worshipping Simoun and and looking down upon more mainstream offerings. You know, the best way to tell people about Simoun is to be passionate about it, and keep on trying. It's not insulting other shows people enjoy and insulting the people that enjoy them.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 12:10   Link #2279
Matrim

Quote:
Having said that, this elitist attitude is really getting on my nerves. I loved Simoun. I'm also enjoying Kanon. I also like (GASP) mainstream shounen, like Kekkaishi. Gee, I guess this means I'm a horrible, slobbering "fanboy" for not just worshipping Simoun and and looking down upon more mainstream offerings. You know, the best way to tell people about Simoun is to be passionate about it, and keep on trying. It's not insulting other shows people enjoy and insulting the people that enjoy them.
Don't you think you are exaggerating things a bit? Insulting shows? WTF? If I think a series is stupid or bad I say it, it's not as if its creators are reading my words and will get insulted anyway. Why not just stop saying anything but words of praise about anime or movies because, you know, the shows might get insulted? Insulting the fans of shows I don't like is completely different matter altogether and I try my best to avoid it but it's a fact that some fans of Kanon have a fanboyish attitude towards it, just like some fans of Simoun (me for instance) have more or less fanboyish or fangirlish attitude towards it. But since fans of mainstream shows are usually more numerous and outspoken than those of shows that are under the radar like Simoun, it's somewhat easier for one to get pissed off by all the praise for say Death Note than by the praise for a little known show he happens to hate too. And btw, who in this thread demands everyone to worship Simoun and snub anything and everything that's mainstream? I doubt that's what catcher's post was all about.

Quote:
So while mainstream doesn't automatically mean something sucks, it doesn't mean its great either.
I doubt anyone would seriously argue with this, even in this "elitist" thread.

Old 2006-11-05, 12:47   Link #2280
musouka

Quote:
Don't you think you are exaggerating things a bit?
Not really, no. I thought this was the Simoun thread, not the "those uguu~ moe fanboys are so annoying!" thread. Do you really not understand how this comes across if you guys sit here and complain about the plebes that like stuff you guys don't?

If you want to write negative things about Kanon, be my guest. I got into a rather heated exchange because I had less than complimentary things to say about certain aspects too. The difference is I actually brought it to the Kanon thread instead of sitting in a thread devoted to an entirely different show and making generalizations about Kanon fans as opposed to those who are privileged to have the "good taste" to like non-mainstream shows.

I guess you just don't get how obnoxious that can come across to someone that loves Simoun (but isn't a hardcore enough fangirl like yourself, I guess) and comes here to read interesting discussions about the girls and the world of Simoun instead of generalities about other anime fans and what "undeserving" shows are currently popular.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri