Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-06-24, 00:00   Link #381
Uncreative
Just an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Stealth is another factor for it to be able to sneak in, and during the fold its purple color serves as camouflage against the psychedelic background.
Actually I've read the the development program for the JSF considered the best color for a visual-steath fighter would be a certian shade of pink. But they were concerned that pilots may object.
Uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 11:25   Link #382
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

^Heh, I'd imagine they'd prefer to do it like the Red Baron and taunt the enemy to shoot them down if they can. But personally, why not? I'd be like a Pink Panther or something who could sneak in for the kill.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 11:55   Link #383
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
^Heh, I'd imagine they'd prefer to do it like the Red Baron and taunt the enemy to shoot them down if they can. But personally, why not? I'd be like a Pink Panther or something who could sneak in for the kill.
Everybody knows a red/hot pink/or maroon paintjob makes anything 3x better.

Last edited by glyph; 2008-06-24 at 12:28.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 12:01   Link #384
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncreative View Post
Actually I've read the the development program for the JSF considered the best color for a visual-steath fighter would be a certian shade of pink. But they were concerned that pilots may object.
Pink Pecker anyone?
Old 2008-06-24, 19:27   Link #385
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
Everybody knows a red/hot pink/or maroon paintjob makes anything 3x better.
Da' Red onez goez Faster [From Warhammer 40k]

The power of belief is such a wonderful thing.

It's already noted that the colony ships have some manner of liquid metal self sealing in the event of a hull breach. Maybe the VF-25 has the same as well. Still, that was a full armour type that got skewered.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:03   Link #386
ReddyRedWolf

The New Macross class is not the first mass production humanoid mecha capital ship?

In ep 12 there is a Macross but from what I've heard it is not the Macross but a SDF built along it's lines.

Spoiler for SDF-2:

Notice it's arms are not the Prometheus or Daedalus nor the original ships that the Macross was supposed to dock with.

Suppose this is a precursor class to the New Macross class.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:14   Link #387
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If I recall the transformation was not originally part of the specification for the Macross herself, but an emergency solution to get the main gun functional. Thus the original ships made to dock with her were just for fighter support and firepower...not arms.

Thus if this is a post-war SDF-1 type vessel, it is likely using redesigned versions of the original carrier vessels (that never docked with the SDF-1) that can handle the function of the arms of the new mech-ship and deliver punches if needed.
Old 2008-06-26, 18:31   Link #388
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Thus if this is a post-war SDF-1 type vessel, it is likely using redesigned versions of the original carrier vessels (that never docked with the SDF-1) that can handle the function of the arms of the new mech-ship and deliver punches if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Notice it's arms are not the Prometheus or Daedalus nor the original ships that the Macross was supposed to dock with.

Suppose this is a precursor class to the New Macross class.
They will have to explain why the Macross launched again, if that was the original Macross. After all, the original stayed on Earth, as a museum

But then, it has several problems. First and foremost, the Macross gun is intact. Its not supposed to be, it was destroyed since Space War I and to my knowledge, never repaired.

So, it could be a 'Macross'-class, as there were many built after Space War I.

Or, they could be looking at a Supervision Army vessel

- Tak (DEUTSCHLAND VOR!)

Last edited by Tak; 2008-06-26 at 19:44.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 23:08   Link #389
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Checking the Macross Plus images of the SDF-1 and the image above fits the design perfectly. Why or how it got the new units? I don't know. Why it isn't still a wreck on Earth? I don't know. (or is it?) If it the SDF-1? I don't know.
Old 2008-06-28, 15:08   Link #390
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Any chance this could be the SDF-2 or some other macross class ship? I really think if it was the SDF1 there would have been more effort on the NUNS to go get it and bring it back to earth.

Also I absolutely love the wings on Sheryl space liner.

Bout time they figured out how to eject the Packs without having the pieces scatter every where. From the what Michel said, they're probably reattach easy as well.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 06:32   Link #391
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

So they are going to come out with the "All That VF" anime short showing off all the version of the VF throughout Macross history.

Promo for All That VF

So it got me thinking.

Imagine a OVA series, perhaps three episodes, that was nothing but documentary on the history of the VF? Style it in the same way you would style a Wings episode that some of you may have seen on the Discovery channel. Showing clips from battles draw throughout the series to demonstrate effectiveness and special uses.

I know it's a pipe dream but I still would love to see something like that.
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 07:55   Link #392
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
Any chance this could be the SDF-2 or some other macross class ship? I really think if it was the SDF1 there would have been more effort on the NUNS to go get it and bring it back to earth.
This is assuming they knew where the ship crashed. The canyon was near the dark side of Gallia 4, and the wreck could have remained undiscovered until Alto crashed landed there. They might have lost contact with the ship for certain reasons, like a disastrous emergency fold, never to be heard from again. Seems to happen a lot in Macross. (The Supervision Army ASS-1, SDF-1's original fold engine, Megaroad-1, and now Macross Galaxy).

Last edited by glyph; 2008-06-29 at 08:22.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 09:30   Link #393
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Here's a side ways thought, after unloading it's payload does the armored packs gets a performance boost cause of the reduced weight?

I would think so, 100+ missiles is bound weight quiet a bit.
Old 2008-07-01, 05:38   Link #394
Wesley84

Quote:
Here's a side ways thought, after unloading it's payload does the armored packs gets a performance boost cause of the reduced weight?

I would think so, 100+ missiles is bound weight quiet a bit.
I thought it was typical of VF's to ditch the pack altogether after firing?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 07:34   Link #395
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

Clearly from the spread pattern of the missiles this is a VF variant with missile packs accessories.

>

(yes I know it's fake, yes I know it's a photoshop. I had to do it though. missiles launch!)
kilroy0097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 09:05   Link #396
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
The old ones did, but Ozma keeps his armored even after firing the missiles.

I think it's on the macross mecha manual where they say a fully loaded armored vf-25 has the same performance as an un-packed vf-25.
Old 2008-07-03, 12:55   Link #397
ReddyRedWolf

Been watching Macross 7 again for the long wait on Frontier 13.

I've noticed Macross 5 has 3 shelldome cities, one factory ship and one Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis class battleship.
Now I don't think all of them are with a New Macross class battleship.

Two shelldome cities are probably with Uruga class carriers.

Compared to Macross 7 fleet that has one shelldome city (Akusho island ship and forest dome also) with one New Macross class battleship, a West Point Class Macro-Training Base Ship, Riviera Resort Ship, Einstein Research Experimental Ship, Hollywood Amusement Ship, Sunnyflower Agricultural Ship, Three Star Factory Ship, a cemetery ship (Macross 7 Trash) and the recent addition in 2047 the Budoukan Concert Ship.

Compare them to Macross Frontier where they prefer a more integrated setup.
A bigger shelldome island and interconnected island ships that are big enough for biospheres and Zentradi.

These fleets are surounded by Urugas, Guantanamos and Bologneses (Zentradi variant for Macross 5)
Macross Frontier uniquely has the SMS Macross Quarter.

Macross Galaxy on the otherhand is radically different from the shelldome concept.
Probably taking a page from the Megaroad series or the original SDF-1 Macross city. Unlike the three mentioned fleets above this one is surounded by the Dulfim and Kaitos types of ships. Though it is described as New Macross class we as of yet are to make heads or tails if it has a New Macross class battleship or where it is docked.

Prior to these were the Megaroad class which is protected by either Zentradi or UN Spacy built ships.

Apparently when the Megaroads came into production the SDF class wasn't truly abandoned.

The SDF-4 Global of the 117 Reseach Fleet is one of these.

I suppose not every Megaroad had a benefit of a refit Nupetiet-Vergnitzs or Neo Nupetiet-Vergnitzs bis Class Battleship.

Thus the SDF filled the roll of a battleship flagship.

The SDF Macross class therefore is a precursor to the New Macross class.

The New Macross class being the marriage between the two concepts. SDF and Megaroad.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 23:44   Link #398
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Quote:
The old ones did, but Ozma keeps his armored even after firing the missiles.

I think it's on the macross mecha manual where they say a fully loaded armored vf-25 has the same performance as an un-packed vf-25.
On the older armored packs, it's because it's just a armored missile carrier, and your manuverability is shit. Once your missiles are gone you're better off dumping the armor and getting more manuverability to better use your gunpod.

The VF-25S Armored, on the other hand, doesn't really suffer this disadvantage because even when using the armored pack, the performance is equal to that of a basic VF-25. Also, unlike earlier armored packs, the VF-25 armored pack mounts extra weapons; there are the two rotating ball turrets on the shouters, which Ozma was using in GERWALK mode, and in GERWALK and Fighter mode there are 30 micromissiles which fire forwards; in Battroid mode they fire up, meaning you can't use them unless you key in an off-bore targeting solution, but judging by how they're placed in fighter and GERWALK modes I'm pretty sure these are missiles for dogfighting.

As we saw in episode 7, even with the armored pack on, Ozma's VF-25s is very nimble and manuverable, and Alto was having trouble keeping up with him (though I'd attribute that to partly unfamilliarity and experience: Ozma's the more experienced pilot with more time in the VF-25). In this case, since the basic VF-25's performance is already pretty good, it'd make sense to just keep the armored pack on; sure there's a performance hit compared to Super Pack VF-25s, but on the other hand you're not a slowass moving Battriod and you can still manuver very well.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 02:12   Link #399
Uncreative
Just an idea

It might be more cost effective too. You get to keep and reuse all that equipment rather than ditching several million dollars worth just to regain some maneuverability.
Uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 13:02   Link #400
ChronoReverse

Plus it's armour after all. Even Super Packs can be used to take a hit or as extra chaff.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote