AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-07-14, 13:18   Link #61
martino
makes no files now

Nice find. Looks like it might not take too long before it will have English localization. Even though that's one of the last things that I care about. It'd be much better if the memory leaks were fixed first and the awful CPU usage. -.-
Old 2007-07-14, 13:45   Link #62
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Nice find. Looks like it might not take too long before it will have English localization. Even though that's one of the last things that I care about. It'd be much better if the memory leaks were fixed first and the awful CPU usage. -.-
Apparently, most of the menus are natively English without any tweaking in the resource editor and appear in Japanese only when PD is loaded.

Old 2007-07-14, 17:56   Link #63
niko
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to niko
There is Japanese translation of Perfect Dark on INFO_LINE with name/id of 109
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 18:14   Link #64
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
There is Japanese translation of Perfect Dark on INFO_LINE with name/id of 109
Your point?
Old 2007-07-14, 18:17   Link #65
niko
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to niko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
Your point?
Quote:
/* perfect dark infoline */
id "0"
"perfect dark by Kaicho-."
"perfect dark by 会長."

id "1"
"perfect dark"
id "2"
"superpower"
id "3"
"changing settings.
please wait..."
"設定を変更中です。
しばらくお待ち下さい。"
id "4"
"perfect dark is shutting down.
please wait..."
"perfect dark を終了中です。
しばらくお待ち下さい。"
id "5"
"Do you really want to exit perfect dark?"
"perfect dark を終了します。よろしいですか?"

id "10"
" information "
" 情報 "
id "11"
" search "
" 検索 "
id "12"
" download "
" ダウンロード "
id "13"
" complete "
" 完了 "
id "14"
" gather "
" ギャザー "
id "15"
" board "
" ボード "
id "16"
" view "
" 表示 "
id "17"
" upload "
" アップロード "

id "19"
"not implemented."
id "20"/* the sons of liberty */
"perfect dark version %2.3f by Kaicho- & 2ch powered."
"perfect dark version %2.3f by 会長 & 2ch powered."
id "21"
"perfect dark is offline."
id "22"
"perfect dark is online. open port NOT confirmed."
"perfect dark is online. ポート解放は未確認です。"
id "23"
"perfect dark is online."
id "24"
"new version detected!"
"新しいバージョンが検出されました!"
id "25"
"automatically shutting down in %d seconds."
"自動終了まであと %d 秒"

id "39"
"search filter."
id "40"
"filter : "
"フィルタ:"
id "41"
"file"
"ファイル"
id "42"
"board"
"ボード"
id "43"
"gather"
"ギャザー"
id "44"
"new"
"未登録"
id "45"
"download"
"ダウンロード"
id "46"
"complete"
"完了"
id "47"
"good"
"良い"
id "48"
"neutral"
"中間"
id "49"
"bad"
"悪い"
id "50"
"exe"
"実行"
id "51"
"multi"
"重複"

(cut)
Looks somewhat like po translation to me. so if it is not loaded it would be english, or something or there must be someway to switch
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-14, 18:27   Link #66
Starks
*Scanlator

Wow... I really hit pay-dirt with idea to reshack Perfect Dark. Hopefully we'll figure everything out soon.
Old 2007-07-15, 08:00   Link #67
Slice of Life
eyewitness

OK, here is a bunch of hopefully not too naive questions from somebody who has never used Winny or its successors.

What exactly is the difference between them and the olde decentralized tools like overnet? What exactly is encrypted? The shared packages? Trying to log and analyze the transmitted raw data on the net is a pretty bad strategy. If you want the IPs of sharers simply take part in the sharing process. And this is something the copyright holder can do by himself, not just the government. I can't see how revealing the IP to the sharing partner can be prevented except if PD uses something like onion routing and even that wouldn't make sense if the network is exclusively created for PD. Furthermore, what does it mean, encryption has been hacked? Standard encryption algortihms cannot simply be "hacked". Finally, why is PD not open source? Security via obscurity?
Old 2007-07-15, 09:06   Link #68
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Looks somewhat like po translation to me. so if it is not loaded it would be english, or something or there must be someway to switch
my guess would be that it checks the local language on the system and use the language setting accordingly
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 10:10   Link #69
Starks
*Scanlator

Damn, why doesn't this work! If I make even a single change, PD will refuse to start. I've tried this with 0.880 through 0.920...
Old 2007-07-15, 10:14   Link #70
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
What exactly is the difference between them and the olde decentralized tools like overnet? What exactly is encrypted? The shared packages? Trying to log and analyze the transmitted raw data on the net is a pretty bad strategy. If you want the IPs of sharers simply take part in the sharing process. And this is something the copyright holder can do by himself, not just the government. I can't see how revealing the IP to the sharing partner can be prevented except if PD uses something like onion routing and even that wouldn't make sense if the network is exclusively created for PD. Furthermore, what does it mean, encryption has been hacked? Standard encryption algortihms cannot simply be "hacked". Finally, why is PD not open source? Security via obscurity?
I'll try to address your questions by explaining how the network works (to my understanding; I'm not an expert at the subject and the full specifications on Share and Perfect Dark have never been published, most likely for security through obscurity reasons).

Winny/Share/Perfect Dark are all really a kind of giant encrypted shared network drive, sort of. Your client is always downloading things to its cache folder, regardless if you want it or not. I believe the things it downloads are not complete files, just parts of files, Bittorrent style. All transmitted data and all data in the cache is always encrypted, hence you need to "convert" fully downloaded files from your cache into your download folder (they need to be decrypted). When you "upload" files, you aren't uploading them to any specific user; you're uploading them into the network, regardless if other users want them or not - you're forcing other clients to download the file into their cache folders. Old files that noone has downloaded in a long time are automatically purged from the cache, so the network keeps itself clean, so to speak.
Furthermore, other peers (or "nodes" in the classical Share/Winny terminology) are never referred to by their IP address; addresses, too, are encrypted (or hashed).
The point of all this obscurity is that while you can simply run a netstat on your computer to see what nodes you're connected to, it's impossible to tell who is down- or uploading what, unless you manage to break the encryption to see what is being transmitted to who. You never download one full file from one node to another either; the structure of the network means you're always filtering it through a lot of other nodes' cache folders. Therefore it is very hard to prove any single node (except the one originally uploading the file into the network, but finding him/her is next to impossible) guilty of sharing anything.

I hope that answers most of your questions.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 10:55   Link #71
Starks
*Scanlator

I will give a cookie to anyone who can help me successfully hack PD and still have it load after applying the changes.
Old 2007-07-15, 12:11   Link #72
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
I will give a cookie to anyone who can help me successfully hack PD and still have it load after applying the changes.
I would assume there to be better places for this kind of thing than here...
Old 2007-07-15, 14:19   Link #73
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I hope that answers most of your questions.
Only a few.There must be a function to actually request files instead of waiting until the right packets appear in your cache by chance, or not? And for encrypting IPs, I don't know if it is possible under Windows to establish a connection without letting the OS know (which would definitely be a bug, not a feature) but your network card knows who it is talking to. Put another computer between number one and the internet = problem solved.

Well it does sound a bit like onion routing (plus caching) where every node knows who it is talking to but not what it is transporting and what is the source and final destination. But what you cannot hide is the fact that you're running a Tor node.
Old 2007-07-15, 15:46   Link #74
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Only a few.There must be a function to actually request files instead of waiting until the right packets appear in your cache by chance, or not?
Yes, of course there is (there is also a system with "keywords" that indicate what you are interested in downloading; your node will prefer to connect to other nodes with similar keywords). But regardless of you are actually requesting to download or upload anything at all, as long as the program is running, it will down/upload things from/to the cache.

Quote:
And for encrypting IPs, I don't know if it is possible under Windows to establish a connection without letting the OS know (which would definitely be a bug, not a feature) but your network card knows who it is talking to.
Read my post again. In the program itself you never see what node has what IP; the program knows but it isn't telling you. A netstat (=show all active IP connections) will show what IP's the computer is connected to at the moment, but it will not tell you what data is going where.

Quote:
But what you cannot hide is the fact that you're running a Tor node.
Nor is it necessary to do so. As proven in several court cases, the actual P2P technology is not illegal in itself; what is illegal is transmitting copyrighted works without the copyright holder's permission, and that is very hard to prove with something like Share or Perfect Dark.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 19:46   Link #75
Ericsc

I've downloaded and tried Perfect Dark, and as others have said it uses up alot of the CPU, at least on my PC. Until that gets fixed I'm going to stay with Share.

I haven't used Winny in literally years, and my nodes don't work anymore :-( Can anyone PM me a working Winny nodes list, or PM me link where to find one? Thanks
Ericsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 19:57   Link #76
skystrife
Encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
My guess would be that it has a security feature that automatically terminates itself if it's image has changed. Something like that was built into Share if I remember correctly.
skystrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-15, 20:07   Link #77
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skystrife View Post
My guess would be that it has a security feature that automatically terminates itself if it's image has changed. Something like that was built into Share if I remember correctly.
It's kinda lika "im in ur codingz, keeping out teh gaijinz"
Old 2007-07-16, 05:42   Link #78
jfs
Aegisub dev

Indeed an "anti-hack" feature accomplishes two things:
1. No hacked clients on the network, that possibly can breach security. (One can argue that that's security through obscurity, you would have to trust it to me more than that.)
2. Keeps out people who can't (more or less) understand Japanese, "they don't share back" - this is somewhat a shame.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 10:06   Link #79
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
In the program itself you never see what node has what IP; the program knows but it isn't telling you. A netstat (=show all active IP connections) will show what IP's the computer is connected to at the moment, but it will not tell you what data is going where.

[...] As proven in several court cases, the actual P2P technology is not illegal in itself; what is illegal is transmitting copyrighted works without the copyright holder's permission, and that is very hard to prove with something like Share or Perfect Dark.
Yes, I understand ... assuming you talk about Japanese courts since the two of us are not under Japanese jurisdiction anways. But laws can be changed and when there is a 99.5 percent probability that you use an encrypted connection to download copyrighted material a different judge might decide that it is OK to raid your home regardless. House searches happen on much weaker evidence.

But all in all I don't see anything in PD that could not be implemented open source. Tor already provides the infrastructure, and also for a lot of things that are 100 percent "ethically correct".

A least I now understand that Japan hasn't invented the magic bullet either.
Old 2007-07-16, 13:43   Link #80
Starks
*Scanlator

I have a theory... Perhaps the protection is nothing more than a simple CRC check... Perhaps I can spoof it or even hex edit it out.

Ironically enough, I come from a fansub group that excels in the art of CRC manipulation.

Last edited by Starks; 2007-07-16 at 14:34.
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p2p, perfect dark