AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-02, 23:08   Link #21
Clarste
Human

I like the word asocial. Anyway, he has no friends except for the people he's met in the course of the series. There aren't even those two random guy friends that slowly get written out of the show, like most protagonists have. He says he's not the type to make friends, but there was a paradigm shift over spring break, which I'm inclined to believe. Getting to his senior year in high school with no friends is pretty asocial.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-02, 23:16   Link #22
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
The interesting thing about this series is the way it takes all the traditional stuff in an anime like this and completely throws it out the window. For instance, from what I sorta understand, this is on the harem side of anime. Yet... it's very different from any other harem I've seen. As was mentioned, Araragi seesm to have no other friends outside of Oshino and Tsubasa when this started, and of course how he does in school hasn't been brought up either

Then there's the girls he's associated with... especially Senjougahara, who is unlike ny other female lead in this type of situation, but a ton of stuff has already been said about her as is

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 18:02   Link #23
senarious

About araragi's character. I think he thinks of himself worthless. If I remember correctly he said something like "I was very good student and my parents was proud of me". After what happened between he and their parents, for araragi, his self-worth is somewhat lessen. What lies under his stupid heroism is his broken self-esteem. Somehow he makes me remember Suzaku from early episodes of Code Geass.
senarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 03:12   Link #24
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Or more like Emiya Shirou, though he's an even more extreme case.
Araragi at least didn't want to be pure "Hero of Justice" like Shirou. And his past is much less gloomier than Shirou's.
But now as I mention it Araragi certainly resembles somewhat Shirou. But Shirou takes a more active actions and he has a more violent temper(it's more like Arraragi is seriously passive about things).
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 09:19   Link #25
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

This probably sums up his attitude.
Old 2009-09-08, 20:19   Link #26
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senarious View Post
About araragi's character. I think he thinks of himself worthless. If I remember correctly he said something like "I was very good student and my parents was proud of me". After what happened between he and their parents, for araragi, his self-worth is somewhat lessen. What lies under his stupid heroism is his broken self-esteem. Somehow he makes me remember Suzaku from early episodes of Code Geass.
I think it's just your typical teenage rebelliousness, he said himself that he'd never grow up if he stays a mama's boy. Sure his relationship is a bit of a sore spot but compared to the rest of the cast it's nothing.

His grades seem to be quite good, he's hanging out and helping the class rep and they shop for books together. He never avoids eye contact and stands straight, he's not shy and takes the initiative most of the time. There's no hint that he thinks badly of himself. If anything, he's overconfident.

Wich is probably why he's so selfless. I suspect Koyomi acts like he does out of a vague sense of duty. In many cases he's the only one who has both the capacity and desire to help victims of the supernatural. They literally have no one but him.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 21:54   Link #27
Azuma Denton
~AD~

At eps 10, yes he did it again...

He went as far as not want to hurting the one that curse Sengoku.
Man, that's going too far...

Oshino is right by telling him, how he will deal with the oddities when Oshino is not around.
Kanbaru is right too when she ask Araragi what is the main purpose of Araragi? Helping Sengoku or helping the ones that curse her?
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 21:29   Link #28
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Araragi seems to be a good Student, good grades, he just seem to doubt him self alot imo. Awesome character.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 21:45   Link #29
Clarste
Human

Isn't Araragi explicitly not a good student? In episode 3 he talked about how he didn't care at all about his grades as long as he could graduate, and was alienated from his parents by not keeping up the "studious son" image in high school. Maybe he's just self-deprecating, but I got the impression he was an average student, or more likely the kind of student who could do better if he tried but has no motivation.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 11:54   Link #30
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Yeah, Araragi doesn't get very good grades. When Senjougahara asked him what his score on a recent test was it turned out to be 46. 46 out of 100. Remember when Senjougahara was rounding based on the 10s column?
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 12:07   Link #31
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Yeah, Araragi doesn't get very good grades. When Senjougahara asked him what his score on a recent test was it turned out to be 46. 46 out of 100. Remember when Senjougahara was rounding based on the 10s column?
Actually I'm not quite certain what score that was, but considering Senjougahara got a 70-something, whatever it is I don't think it was out of 100, since Senjougahara is definitely a good student. Probably a standardized test or ranking statistic or something along those lines.
Old 2009-10-29, 08:13   Link #32
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think Araragi and Hanekawa make a more sound couple. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Hitagi as she's a very unique and enjoyable char, prob one of the best chars in recent times. Still, despite the comings of episode 12, I still get the impression that Aragi was just being dragged to Hitagi's pace(and it was extremely enjoyable the entire way through , but that's not the point). When Hanekawa talked to Arararagi, it didn't feel like that, but more like she would keep it on the same level as him, never talking over his head, but still making good conversation. Also when anything happened particularly with the oddities he doesn't tell Hitagi anything(at least they don't SHOW him telling her anything), but always tells Hanekawa? Why tell Hanekawa anything? To me, this, as well as the other interactions Arara and Hanekawa have. tells me that they have a stronger relationship than Ara and Hitagi. Again, I DO feel that Hitagi and raragi make the more interesting couple; at the very least more interesting than Agi and Hanekawa, but I still feel that Koyomi and Hanekawa would be more balanced in normal respects.

Last edited by frubam; 2009-10-29 at 08:27.
frubam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 14:27   Link #33
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I think Araragi and Hanekawa make a more sound couple. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Hitagi as she's a very unique and enjoyable char, prob one of the best chars in recent times. Still, despite the comings of episode 12, I still get the impression that Aragi was just being dragged to Hitagi's pace(and it was extremely enjoyable the entire way through , but that's not the point). When Hanekawa talked to Arararagi, it didn't feel like that, but more like she would keep it on the same level as him, never talking over his head, but still making good conversation. Also when anything happened particularly with the oddities he doesn't tell Hitagi anything(at least they don't SHOW him telling her anything), but always tells Hanekawa? Why tell Hanekawa anything? To me, this, as well as the other interactions Arara and Hanekawa have. tells me that they have a stronger relationship than Ara and Hitagi. Again, I DO feel that Hitagi and raragi make the more interesting couple; at the very least more interesting than Agi and Hanekawa, but I still feel that Koyomi and Hanekawa would be more balanced in normal respects.
From a dramatic perspective, Araragi and Hitagi are more interesting than Araragi and Hanekawa, though the second is almost too conventional as if it was a foregone conclusion.

Main issue of course is Araragi despite having 'protagionist power' also has protagionist thick skulled density.

There are also some issues with the character of Hanekawa but this isn't her thread.

Kinda amusing how they in essence friend-zoned each other.
Old 2009-10-29, 20:33   Link #34
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
From a dramatic perspective, Araragi and Hitagi are more interesting than Araragi and Hanekawa, though the second is almost too conventional as if it was a foregone conclusion.

Main issue of course is Araragi despite having 'protagionist power' also has protagionist thick skulled density.

There are also some issues with the character of Hanekawa but this isn't her thread.

Kinda amusing how they in essence friend-zoned each other.
yes that is a good way to explain it. as i was watching the series i always thought that Araragi and Hanekawa did like each other but they put each other in the friend zone and didnt pursue it.

but i perfer Araragi X Hitagi. and for the point of him not teeling her about the oddities i thought that even though he likes her he doesnt tell her so she doesnt get involved and get herself hurt. thats why he brought Hanekawa on to help him with the snake oddity because at least she would be able to protect herself. on the other hand he tells Hanekawa about them because he knows she wont try and get involved with the oddities and only talk about them with him.

also knowing how perverted Araragi is he probably doesnt want anything to happen to Hitagi because then the oppertunity to loose his virginity will be taken away.
Old 2009-10-30, 07:12   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
also knowing how perverted Araragi is he probably doesnt want anything to happen to Hitagi because then the oppertunity to loose his virginity will be taken away.
Why on earth is everyone saying Araragi is so perverted? He's normal. It's Senjouhara that's perverted. Think about it!
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 09:18   Link #36
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Why on earth is everyone saying Araragi is so perverted? He's normal. It's Senjouhara that's perverted. Think about it!
He is, he doesn't always *act* on it. Of course some of this is from scenes from the series.

Spoiler for ep11:
Old 2009-10-30, 09:39   Link #37
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Spoiler for ep11:
Okay the swimsuit thing was weird but the rest isn't.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 05:52   Link #38
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Was thinking, and it seems the only biggest harem ending Araragi can get is with 3: Senjougahara because she love him, Kanbaru because Senjougahara can trust that their relationship will not work, and Mayoi because Senjougahara can't see her.

Why this's the only option? Because any deal that does not include Senjougahara, does not include Araragi's life as well....

PS: it's more of a joke, so don't take it seriously. I haven't read the novel, and maybe Senjougahara can sense if Araragi cheat on her with Mayoi
Old 2009-11-08, 08:36   Link #39
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Was thinking, and it seems the only biggest harem ending Araragi can get is with 3: Senjougahara because she love him, Kanbaru because Senjougahara can trust that their relationship will not work, and Mayoi because Senjougahara can't see her.

Why this's the only option? Because any deal that does not include Senjougahara, does not include Araragi's life as well....

PS: it's more of a joke, so don't take it seriously. I haven't read the novel, and maybe Senjougahara can sense if Araragi cheat on her with Mayoi
Well, I think you missed Shinobu, I know you didn't read the novels so I won't spoil it much but he is kinda stuck with her.........forever......like all of eternity.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-08, 15:57   Link #40
LotionExplosion
is in Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Well, I think you missed Shinobu, I know you didn't read the novels so I won't spoil it much but he is kinda stuck with her.........forever......like all of eternity.
Apparently Saying "Till Death Do Us Part" doesn't work with vampires.
LotionExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote