AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-27, 03:17   Link #41
Hiei-

So it was "angelengine" from "Yoroshiku", don't know him but will try to get contact with him.

You said you didn't say it in case I would be offended by his opinion, but I'm not at all (in fact, I am, but as long as I'll have some argumentations lol, if he's right, I won't be anymore XD), so no need to hide his nick, especially if he can help to get contact with him, so if you see this message, feel free to contact me mister

If he's away for a long time, I don't think it'll be useful but I'll maybe even try to post on their forums, maybe I'll be lucky and get in touch with him, who knows.

If I have some time soon, I'll write the japanese script of the episode with the translation under it and that way, we'll probably see if it's right or not (at least, for the beginning of the anime), so if some peoples with good skills can help to get an idea, would be cool.
Hiei- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 03:34   Link #42
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiei- View Post
So it was "", don't know him but will try to get contact with him.
Would you please edit out his nick/group? PM for this is fine enough, isn't it?
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 06:46   Link #43
Goblinator

aaa

Hey what is wrong with hei's timing? I find it good and the translation is good too.
Captain Tsubasa is a straight forward anime, details don't really matter.
Goblinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 09:02   Link #44
Hiei-

But I don't think I missed details anyway.

Here's more or less twenty lines I wrote back from the episode, which should all be completly wrong if your friend is right.
I'll review the word one after the other with jwpce for people who don't know them at all (and will be faster than explaining them myself).

それじゃあおれと中学生のあんたたちで勝負しましょう
=> Well, what do you think of facing each other, schoolboys? (the last word can differ but it's a matter of edit, not of translation).

"それじゃあ" => "Well/Well then/In that case" according to jwpce.
"おれと中学生のあんたたちで" => litteraly "you, schoolboys, and me"
"勝負しましょう" => "Jwpce give "victory or defeat/match/contest/game/bout".

Even f if someone knows nothing about japanese, how could he translate the sentence in completely another meaning that the upper sentence with the words "Well/Me/You, schoolboys/contest", and by the way, just by looking at the action in the episode, it's confirm it's a defy against Wakabyashi and the others guys.

おれたちと勝負!?

=> "おれたち" => "おれ" => "I", "たち" => "plural", so "Us". The other word were already explained before, I don't know how someone can make another translation of that than "Facing us ?!/A contest with us ?!/" or something like that.

勝負?いったいどうやって勝負するんだろう
=> いったい 【いったい】 (adv,n) (1) one object, one body, (2) what on earth?, really?, (3) generally, (P)
どうやってどうやって (exp) how, in what way, by what means
為る 【する】 (vs-i) (uk) to do, to try, to attempt, to execute, to play (game), to practice, to practise, to cost, to serve as, to pass, to elapse,
だろう (exp) seems, I guess

I also don't see here how it can be translated except with something like litteraly "A contest? I wonder what sort of contest he wants" or "I wonder how he wants to face them".

(please excuse the bad spelling/grammar for this sentence, I put the litteraly one, not the one of the script, so the sentence is not edited at all).

君クラブのキャプテンにひとりずつシュートしてもらおう
=> 君 【きみ】 (n) (fam) you (masc. term for female), (P)
クラブ => Club
キャプテン => Captain
一人 => one (person)
ずつ (suf) (1) apiece, each, (2) at a time
シュート => Shot
して => 為る => 【する】 (vs-i) (uk) to do, to try, to attempt, to execute, to play (game), to practice, to practise, to cost, to serve as, to pass, to elapse, (P)
=> 【もらう】 (v5u) (1) (uk) to receive, to take, to accept, (2) to get somebody to do something (follows a verb in "te" form), (P)

Same here, I'm leaving you mix the words, you'll more or less find the same sentence.

A last one even if I prepared more sentences than that because it's boring to do :

おれはペナルティーエリアの外からならどんなボールでもふせげる自信があるんだ!!
=> ペナルティーエリア = Penalty Area
外 【そと】 (n) (1) outside, exterior, (2) open air, (3) other place, (P)
から (prt) from, out of, through, since, because
どんな (adj-na,adj-pn,n) what, what kind of, (P)
ボール
ふせげる => 塞ぐ 【ふさぐ】 (v5g,vt) to stop up, to close up, to block (up), to occupy, to fill up, to take up, to stand in another's way, to plug up, to shut up
自信 【じしん】 (n) self-confidence, (P)

If someone find another translation than something like "I am able to catch any ball shot \Nfrom outside of the penalty area!", it would be very weird as anyway, it's the first main thing of the series (No one never scored on him, Tsubasa managed to do it, then he become mad and defy tsubasa in an official game)

Here's the others I had prepared but that I'm lazy to do unless it's really needed :

グランドはほしけりゃこのおれからゴールをうばってみろ!!
このやろう~~~~~~!調子にのりやがって!

サッカーで勝負するんだ!
なに?!勝負だっと?!阿呆かおまえ?!
先のわかばやしのプレーを見たろ?!
だから勝負!
若かったよ、教えるよ

お前が。。。大空翼。。。
大空翼。。。
大空翼。。。この少年に間違いない。
これが。。。二人の天才サッカー少年の出会いだった

おれ大空翼!
凄いやつ出あった!
彼の名はわかばやしげんぞう!
しゅうてつの天才ゴールキーパーだ!
果してわかばやしくんからゴールをうばえるか?!
じかいキャプテン翼:燃えろサッカー小僧
キックオフ!

Last edited by Hiei-; 2007-05-28 at 21:55.
Old 2007-05-27, 09:26   Link #45
sangofe

Is there any use of posting this here when the tlr's not really around?

I didn't make these replies to flame anyone, so let's just stop here?
I understand you just want to release CT your own way, so good luck with that.
Hopefulled you wont leave English-related errors like "beated" in your releases, though...
Old 2007-05-27, 09:30   Link #46
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaBla View Post
Hey what is wrong with hei's timing? I find it good and the translation is good too.
Captain Tsubasa is a straight forward anime, details don't really matter.
I'm a picky timer, for most people it's surely good.
As for details, I've always appriciated them in translations.
Old 2007-05-27, 10:04   Link #47
Goblinator

"Beated" is used by people even in english-speaking countries. It is not in the english dictionary but it is a slang just like the word "noob".

Schoolboys use these words and I do not consider it a mistake in the translation.
Old 2007-05-27, 10:13   Link #48
gencbiba

Beated is a slang? What country... lol. It sounds terrible.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 11:03   Link #49
Goblinator

Beated to me doesn't sound that bad especially when a lot of other verbs in past tense finish in ED too. Sometimes I hear it from american kids on the net.
Old 2007-05-27, 12:02   Link #50
Hiei-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
Is there any use of posting this here when the tlr's not really around?

I didn't make these replies to flame anyone, so let's just stop here?
I understand you just want to release CT your own way, so good luck with that.
Hopefulled you wont leave English-related errors like "beated" in your releases, though...
You know, I'm not the editors ;-) (But beat seems to sound good for kids, and in babylon pro dictionnary, it's don't seem to be a slang word, but a verb like any others verbs, from what I read in the dictionnary). Anyway, about that, I can only say you to talk about it with the editors, I'm giving a first script, then I accept all the modifications they want to do to be sure it's sound good.

Anyway, it was the first release, I also missed two things because I did it a bit fastly (Ozoora and feel thing).

All the things I posted wasn't only for the guy you know, but everybody who knows japanese and so would be able to say if the sentences are completely wrong or not.
Old 2007-05-27, 14:11   Link #51
sangofe

edited out
Old 2007-05-27, 14:13   Link #52
sangofe

10:52
"We beated your Nankatsu's team 10 to 0!"
Suggestion change 1:
We beat you, Nankatsu, 10-0!
Suggestion change 2:
We beat your team Nankatsu 10-0!

Yes, it's not your fault hiei-, but you should get proper editors and qcr's [/QUOTE]
Old 2007-05-27, 14:53   Link #53
gencbiba

British English:
Present tense - Beat
Past simple- Beat
Past Participle - Beaten

US English:
Present Tense - Beat
Past Simple - Beat
Past Participle - Beat

Thus... you get the point.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
Old 2007-05-27, 15:36   Link #54
Goblinator

"We beated your Nankatsu's team 10 to 0!"

Like I explained already, beated is an invented slang word.

There's nothing wrong in saying "Nankatsu's team". That kind of structure can be used.
Old 2007-05-27, 15:57   Link #55
fxu

So which CT series is this one ?

http://tracker.danomac.org/f-s/

[Currently downloading]
fxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 17:05   Link #56
Goblinator

It's the first episode of the original series. Don't be surprised with the size. That's because it was filtered and the quality now looks amazing.
Old 2007-05-27, 20:44   Link #57
gencbiba

Yea... but explain to me why you wouldn't want to follow standard and correct English grammar? Beated just sounds retarded.

Old 2007-05-27, 21:20   Link #58
fxu

Here's a crazy idea.

I have the original series [still downloading] of Captain Tsubasa in spanish dub.

My Spanish and English are pretty good. I'm translating most of the time in one of my classes because I work at the office as Teacher's Aide, so I guess I can say I have experience :P

I can watch the episode in Spanish, translate into English, and you can compare with what you have and your crew did as well ?

I don't know, just a crazy idea .. I'm graduating high school next week and I won't have nothing to do this summer till College starts .. soooo.

Let me know
fxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 22:19   Link #59
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Usually, you don't want to try to translate from another dub language entirely into an english comparison to the native language of the show translated into english subs.
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 08:17   Link #60
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

It's not a crazy idea.

Is Frenchies-subs translating from the japanese audio and using the french only as help? Or is it translating solely from the french version (which isn't very faithful)?

If it is the latter, it would be nice to have another language to help and compare. I've seen the spanish dub and its dialogues are more faithful to the original than the french (apart from the characters', cities and teams names, they've been changed).

But if it is the first option, then it is not that bad no to use the spanish dub (although I'd still prefer the spanish dub).

EDIT:

I've just finished watching Frenchies-subs version. Whatever the case, the overall translation is good. Keep up the good work.

Just a sidenote question:
Spoiler:

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2007-05-28 at 08:44.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote