View Poll Results: Hard Work vs Talent
Hard Work 79 65.29%
Talent 42 34.71%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-22, 00:56   Link #101
Kyuu
=^^=

Remember.

Even Goku had to go through plenty of extensive training -- until he can improve his skills and power. Yet, he had all the natural talent in the world (or beyond it).

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 01:03   Link #102
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Some talents are God given like the talent like you can hold high voltage current and not suffer an electric shock.

But nothing replaces hardwork on a certain thing you want to achieve or have.
Old 2012-12-22, 01:36   Link #103
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Definitely hard work. In this day and age, hard work is needed to find a steady job with or without education and just to get through life in general. I kind of see talent as a result of hard work, but there people that are just born with certain talents such as jumping high enough to dunk a basketball; however, it takes hard work to push that talent even further.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 04:49   Link #104
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Neither.

The only thing that gets you ahead in the modern world is very good luck and nepotism. Maybe kissing some ass real good thrown in there, too.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:13   Link #105
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
If you're talking about a "normal job" (doctor, nurse, teacher, office work, manager, etc...) then I think that hard work is more important.

If you're talking about anything rooted in athletics or artistry (pro sports player, painter, novelist, actor, etc...) then I think talent is most important.

The following is very common in the NHL (National Hockey League) - 3rd and 4th liners that work extremely hard every shift and every game, but they'll never be more than 3rd or 4th liners because they just don't have the offensive talent to score at a rate teams expect of 1st and 2nd liners. Then you have many 1st and 2nd liners that float half the time, but will get their 20 or more goals per season because of their huge talent edge.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:30   Link #106
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Neither.

The only thing that gets you ahead in the modern world is very good luck and nepotism. Maybe kissing some ass real good thrown in there, too.
Quoted for truth. Most of the time anyway.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 07:41   Link #107
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Neither.

Yup, it's not what you know, but who you know
Old 2012-12-22, 11:33   Link #108
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Hard Work. Hard work can substitute for talent, but talent can't substitute for hard work.

For instance, the ones who get As in school or colleges are not usually the most talented ones, it's the hardest workers. In some ways, Talent can have a deleterious effect, as you get too used to not trying hard, as everything comes to you easily compared to your peers.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 12:04   Link #109
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well depend i guess. but however say "you can do everything if you work hard enough" i just outright lie. if you want to be a good singer but don't have talent to be it. then just forget it.

You need to have talent that related to the goal in order to archive it. if not. then chance are you cannot get that goal.

obviously you still to work hard

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 14:09   Link #110
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
well depend i guess. but however say "you can do everything if you work hard enough" i just outright lie. if you want to be a good singer but don't have talent to be it. then just forget it.

You need to have talent that related to the goal in order to archive it. if not. then chance are you cannot get that goal.

You can do pretty much everything if you work hard at it. You just mightn't be that great at it.

A lot of "Talent" is just the fact that the person has done that thing a lot over the course of their life.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 14:19   Link #111
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

My opinion is anyone can achieve talent through handwork! People just start on different starting points.

Some people are naturally (talent) good at something. But anyone can get to that level of excellence through hard work. Even exceed the person with talent if the one who has talent does not practice or stay in tune. Think of athletes or musicians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post

I strongly disagree, from a musicians standpoint that is one of biggest excuses. Sure you don't start off being a good singer as some just naturally have, but never ever let genetics stop from our capability. Hard work supports getting better! Gaining experience. Hard work tunes us to sing on key, to sing melody, to help us build stronger voices. Even Professional vocal coachs such as Brett manning would agree. This apply to almost every field (sports,art,music,science, etc). Now if someone does have talent, and works hard then that person is reaching out to be the best he/she can be. Another thing people mistake all the time is that people who are good at singing (Freddie Mercury,Micheal Jackson, Paul McCartney, etc) just have it naturally, but really they worked hard to be at that excellence. Saying someone is soo talented (like they just freely got that skill) could be insulting if the person achieved a certain profession through hard-work. Again just my two cents.

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-12-22 at 14:36.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 15:49   Link #112
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

For those who think that hard work is everything, try working 2-3 jobs just to save up for university.

And after you finish university, see where your more "social" friends have gone in life.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-12-22, 15:57   Link #113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll use one of my fictional characters as an example - people tend to think she's an inhumanly talented guitarist channeling the music of the gods but she spent literally thousands and thousands of hours practicing and playing. Its all she did, rather like Olympic gymnasts who spend every waking moment in the gym. She was so shy that she just focused on that.

So, you may have a mental attribute or a physical characteristic that lends itself to the sport/talent/craft in question but large after that it is the "10,000 hour rule".

(The science shows it takes about a 1000 hours to get 'good' at something, and about 10,000 to 'master' it.)

How to piss someone off: Tell a singer who has spent years and years working on their expertise that they have a "gift from God" ... thus belittling all that hard work.
Old 2012-12-22, 16:01   Link #114
Solafighter
Hige

If you have a goal, you want to achieve, then you have to work hard for it. You can develop and explore your talents, while getting closer to this goal.
Old 2012-12-22, 16:08   Link #115
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
How to piss someone off: Tell a singer who has spent years and years working on their expertise that they have a "gift from God" ... thus belittling all that hard work.
Thank you, old man, for being late with that advice.

I pissed off a female friend today by saying that she has a natural talent for "cosmetics and fashion".

She exploded. I wish someone would just write a guidebook about women.

Old 2012-12-22, 16:34   Link #116
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
If you have a goal, you want to achieve, then you have to work hard for it. You can develop and explore your talents, while getting closer to this goal.
one can certainly achieve their goal through hard work,however if one doesn't work hard enough he won't be in the lead, but the one who has talent will always be, thus reducing the chance for the one working hard
but still hard work will always pay off, so they say
it's very difficult to chose between the two because both these factors go parallel
Old 2012-12-22, 18:43   Link #117
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Neither.

Luck is definitely a factor. Though I'd definitely say if I were born in a less affluent country that things would be very difficult. Hell, the fact that we're all still alive and not victims of random violence so that we can actually think about what to achieve is quite a stroke of good fortune.

But likewise, it's also much easier when you have wealth in the family.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 18:58   Link #118
Triple_R
*Author

I've watched Wayne Gretzky and I've watched Michael Jordan.

All the hard work in the world isn't going to allow 99.9999% of the population to reach their level of excellence in either of their respective sports. When you get to the truly elite level, talent tends to be the difference-maker.

Could Gretzky and Jordan have reached the levels they did without hard work? Of course not, but there's also no way they'd reach it without the talents they were born with. And while hard work can be emulated, talent can't - You either have it, or you don't.

Honestly, I highly recommend the anime Hyouka precisely for its commentary on this topic.

Also, it's fine for a person to tell someone that he or she has "a gift from God". The comment does not have to end there, after all. A person can follow it up by saying " And it's clear you've put in a lot of hard work developing and mastering that gift. Well done."

If someone told me I had "a gift from God", I would take it in the complimentary spirit that it's meant, and not take it as some perceived slight against the effort I put into whatever it is I'm being complimented on.
Old 2012-12-22, 19:07   Link #119
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Basically most people who set out to achieve something for real works hard. Hard work alone only gets you so far. It's talent in the end that will distinguish you from the crowd. And if you're trying to get a job, it's all about connections.

Of course you need luck just to be born in the right circumstances in order to even think about what you want to do as well.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 19:11   Link #120
Triple_R
*Author

Yeah, I think that Reckoner succinctly nails it.

And after what I've heard, read, and watched on some international competitions (such as the Olympics and the Tour de France), I definitely think being born in certain countries gives you a leg-up on the competition.