AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-08-29, 16:03   Link #181
jorez
but the kid is not my son

Send a message via MSN to jorez
I enjoy watching it by myself. I really wouldn't pay attention to the anime if I were watching it with friends or someone, the mood changes and I would want to talk instead of just watching the episode.

Yes, it is a lonely hobby for me.

jorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 18:32   Link #182
P99

I think it depends on the person. If you have other friends who enjoy watching anime, then it's not really that lonely. But if you dont, then it could get lonely. You could go to animecons and meet others who enjoy it. Luckily for me, I have friends who also enjoy this hobby so it isnt lonely at all
Old 2010-09-01, 11:11   Link #183
LMF

How can I put this in my words...

Tell you the truth, I'm a newcomer to anime. Well, to current ones. And yes, it's a "lonely" hobby.

We watch anime on TV or computer - alone. We read mangas - alone. We collect anime merchandise - alone.

But all hobbies are "lonely" type. For example, one of my hobbies is drawing so basically I'm always alone doing this. But, I can be bias though, I agree with Kajio. There's always a group of people that share the passion of your hobbies. Like watching anime on a stream in justin.tv where there's a chat. Or anime group or fanclub. Anime convention, etc.

Basically, all hobbies aren't "lonely"

Otakus are the ones that everyone see as "lonely." Stereotypes...
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 15:50   Link #184
Hippo
Careful now.

Yes it has mostly been lonely for me, but every now and then I might meet someone with a passing interest, and there are certain things (eg Ghibli films) which sit well with everybody and I can watch them with people. Occasionally I can get my boyfriend to watch anime- and he even went and bought the GITS: SAC boxset. But even with the friends I do have who watch anime all of them are males and watch more action based shows while I enjoy high school comedies and romance more, but it is better than nothing and at least they appreciate the appeal It can be hard trying to explain my love of anime to, for example, certain work colleagues and friends who can't comprehend animation as being anything but for kids.

I do wish that I had taken the initiative and set up an anime club at university as there wasn't one, and I'm sure I would have been able to meet more anime fans that way- oh well, hindsight is 20/20 and all that. I've also never been to a con because it just seems like something that would be more fun to go to with a group. Maybe someday I will be able to trick someone into going with me!
Old 2010-09-01, 17:59   Link #185
EnchantingPrincess
~♥~G-Ri~♥~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorez View Post
I enjoy watching it by myself. I really wouldn't pay attention to the anime if I were watching it with friends or someone, the mood changes and I would want to talk instead of just watching the episode.

Yes, it is a lonely hobby for me.
Same here I rather watch it alone because my friends talk to me and I don't want to be rude and ignore them you know...
So.... Its a lonley hobby for me
EnchantingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 16:20   Link #186
alucard13mm

i just find it annoying watching anime in a group. before i got back into anime from my 6-7 year haitus from anime.. i went to check out the anime club at my university.. it was pretty fail with just shy of 12 members of various ages. but i thought, well they might be cool people. but they seem to form their own little group and they didnt seem too welcoming to a new face, so that was the last time i went.. BUT it got me back into anime with Durarara.

Back to the annoying part, people were laughing at the stupidest parts and some people were shielding their eyes from ecchi scenes (c'mon everyone there is age 18-40) and some were oo oo ga ga-ing the male characters. i guess its kind of a put off.. like if you were watching some naughty naked stuff, and then it cut to a scene of that girl throwing puppies into a river. its just a atmosphere killer.

i think watching anime with other people would work if you watch with people you have known for years, your buddies who you went to school with most of your life.. people who enjoy anime the same way as you do.
Old 2010-10-02, 00:27   Link #187
Sing4ever9

Hell, if hobbies were considered lonely, I would probably be one lonely chick because of my writing and my music.

I watch anime when I can; it's not really all that vital a part of my life nor is it really a hobby. Like watching Avatar the Last Airbender, no offense to anyone here, it's just watching a foreign cartoon. A few years ago, yes, I would have considered it a hobby o' mine but then I kind of got sick of the lack of anime's that I actually liked (however, I'm kind of liking what I'm seeing in Trinity Blood and Oniisama E--- Plus, FMA and Pumpkin Scissors never get old for me).

Anyway, it's only a lonely hobby if you make it feel like a lonely hobby.
Sing4ever9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 11:24   Link #188
Alex Keller
Infornographer

Send a message via AIM to Alex Keller
Not really, no.
Alex Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 14:51   Link #189
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
For me watching anime is a way of winding down especially after being frustrated. I don't get a lot of time to watch, so when I just try to keep up with current series when I can. There is a friend who has the same problem as me, so we try to watch together when we can. So for me and that friend it's not too lonely.
There was a time when I would watch all by myself. That was lonely.
Old 2010-10-03, 22:24   Link #190
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

A lot of anime fans I know are way too shy for me to have a heated conversation with (which I love). So yeah, it kinda is.

I know my school is starting an anime club soon. Maybe things will change lol.
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 01:56   Link #191
sunnygrg

Yes, a lonely, locked door hobby. I really don't want my friends to walk into me when some ero scenes pop up.
sunnygrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 23:03   Link #192
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Just got to find an anime club.

Like the others said. Most expensive hobbies can be "lonely" without a club, convention or forum to use.
Old 2010-10-10, 15:57   Link #193
Cjohn

Well I have meet friends online who watch anime but in irl most of my friends aren't really into it. They either watch Narut...well thats about all they watch haha... So if any of you ppl here live in nc.? u.sa. i would not mind being your friend cuz it get lonely
Cjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 17:03   Link #194
Ballad
robots & skateboards

Everyone who tends to watch anime around where I live is usually a total goon who dresses up in makeshift school girl outfits and runs around yelling KAWAII~~ or some other retarded bullshit so nobody knows I watch anime sans a couple online friends. It's a shame I have to hide the fact that I like anime, but oh well. I don't find it lonely, it's kind of nice to have something to myself.
Old 2010-10-10, 17:12   Link #195
Qikz

Anime for me, is probably very lonely in the fact of watching it (that's how I like to view it anyways), but it's far from a lonely hobby when my of my time is spent online, where there's thousands of others in the West who like anime as much, if not probably more than I do, so there's always someone to talk about it with.

The internet, in my opinion completely nullifies a hobby being lonely, like you could really like Model Trains and there's probably communities all over the internet for discussing them. ^_^
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-10, 18:46   Link #196
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Anime for me, is probably very lonely in the fact of watching it (that's how I like to view it anyways), but it's far from a lonely hobby when my of my time is spent online, where there's thousands of others in the West who like anime as much, if not probably more than I do, so there's always someone to talk about it with.

The internet, in my opinion completely nullifies a hobby being lonely, like you could really like Model Trains and there's probably communities all over the internet for discussing them. ^_^
I agree with you fully on this Qikz, people online will destroy that loneliness
Old 2010-10-11, 06:21   Link #197
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

In my case, I guess it's usually true whenever I'm offline, not only because I usually watch anime all by myself, but also because I'm often in the company of people who have little to no knowledge or appreciation of anime. Even when I do get to talk with people here who know some anime, a lot of them only know mainstream shounen anime like Naruto and Bleach and thus we can't connect because of the huge difference in the shows we know (I don't really like watching those kinds of shows that seem to drag on forever, even if they're good).

I usually enjoy watching anime all alone, but on the other hand when I think about it, it feels kinda lonely to be laughing all by myself after seeing a funny scene, feeling awesome after seeing a crowning moment of awesome or crying alone from a heartbreaking tearjerker scene (not that I'd like someone to see me crying by myself, but whatever, if they'd join me in sharing the moment then it's okay).

I try to alleviate this problem by watching my favorite anime together with my siblings and cousins whenever I get the opportunity, as I know some of them really appreciate the anime we watch, on the same level as I do, and then we get to have a nice discussion afterward. The problem is, I rarely get that chance.

This is not a problem for me online, however. I specifically joined this forum (and stopped lurking) so that I can socialize with other people who share my interests and know what the hell I am talking about.
Old 2010-10-11, 21:36   Link #198
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

I don't know if I'd prefer watching anime alone or not. It really depends with who. It's annoying hearing somebody making a huge deal about a panty-shot going "OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT?!?" when it's not a focus, or not some sort of easter-egg fun.

I like to have full debates about episodes afterwards (bonus for shouting lol) but I don't know anybody who I can rage war with on these matters XD And I hate using the internet for that because I can't express myself through the keyboard
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-11, 22:12   Link #199
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
I don't know if I'd prefer watching anime alone or not. It really depends with who. It's annoying hearing somebody making a huge deal about a panty-shot going "OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT?!?" when it's not a focus, or not some sort of easter-egg fun.

I like to have full debates about episodes afterwards (bonus for shouting lol) but I don't know anybody who I can rage war with on these matters XD And I hate using the internet for that because I can't express myself through the keyboard
Find the person's auto-messaging system (AIM, MSN, etc, etc) get web-cam and bam unless you are shy of showing your face to strangers online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
This is not a problem for me online, however. I specifically joined this forum (and stopped lurking) so that I can socialize with other people who share my interests and know what the hell I am talking about.
I agree with you so much! Thats why I joined this forum as well , as well as chatting about Games, General Chat, etc, etc
Old 2010-10-11, 22:48   Link #200
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
Well, welcome to the forum. There's a fair percentage of forum members who share your interests and can communicate clearly.

It definitely HELPS to have people who have some knowledge of Japanese pop culture (even better to have some exposure to Japanese culture in general).

I've found the hobby (like many hobbies) is a bit like an MMO. 50% or more of the participants are "idiots" (narutards, griefers, brain-dead, monomaniacs, etc) and your goal is to filter out that noise to find the people you actually enjoy interacting with