AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-06, 19:09   Link #761
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiHikari View Post
Nanase's got hopes and dreams.
Except on top of that is a psycho of a trap. I really wouldn't touch that particular set of hopes n' dreams with a 1241512214124 feet pole.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-06, 19:14   Link #762
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
set of hopes n' dreams
- Tak
will this be entered in urban dictionary?
Old 2008-09-09, 09:39   Link #763
MFSxA

Whether Ranka is a saving angel, an ignorant teen or a selfish whoe remains to be seen. Its quite interesting to note that Canaria comments "She's going to see the truth of what happened eleven years ago."

The only question in my mind regarding Ranka is what reason were behind her actions in 21. So when Ranka remembered her past, did she try to return to the vajra planet to better protect frontier, something in her mind pushed her for the greater good of everyone? Or was it an unimportant reason to weigh against a life? Perhaps she will accidentally find the solution, even when she did not aim to help Frontier.

I prefer that she chose the decision to help Frontier. For once I find Ozma's character interesting even for a second, "I'll choose my own path, as well." Whether it be for the right reasons or not.

To my mind, intention coupled with action defines characters whether in fiction or in reality.
Old 2008-09-13, 14:02   Link #764
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

lol just found something very funny and true about Ranka at another forum and I couldn't resist to post it here

Quote:

"Ranka is totally the Wesley of Macross."

As You Know, The Scrappy is any character hated by the majority of the fandom. Sometimes, the writers become aware of such hate and start sadistically fooling around with the character, to the delight of the fandom; sometimes, they just pull him out of the scene.

But what happens when everybody hates The Scrappy, while the writers absolutely love him? He becomes a creature that we tropers like to refer to as "The Wesley"...the polar opposite of the Ensemble Darkhorse, and the only thing worse than The Scrappy.

A Wesley is created when the writers (or sometimes only one of them) have become attached to a specific character, so they begin writing him/her into more and more of the scripts, giving them more to do, and sometimes making them the proxy voice of the author, all while blithely ignoring the simple truth that they're the only ones that love their character, because the fans absolutely goddamned hate this character.

The main characteristic of The Wesley that distinguishes him from, say, The Kimberly is that the writers' focus on him is actually acting to the detriment of the rest of the show. It's not that the parts of the show featuring this particular annoying character suck more than the rest, it's that so much effort is being refocused on him that the episodes that don't prominently feature him are also beginning to suck.

When a character starts turning into The Wesley, the show usually begins hemorrhaging fans - it's a clear sign that it's about to (or just did) Jump The Shark. The only certain way to dodge this particular bullet is to write the character out, either by having them Put On A Bus or outright killing them (the latter choice has been known to actually win back some of the fans). He can be outright redeemed though if he's Rescued From The Scrappy Heap, but that's rare and takes considerable writing talent.

The writers will more likely take to Shilling The Wesley.

Compare Spotlight Stealing Squad, which happens when Character Focus pushes a lot of the other characters out of the limelight for an extended period of time. Contrast The Artifact, which the writers try to ignore because they no longer find the character interesting, but can't write out of the series without royally screwing things up and a fair solution to a character who is only a Wesley because of overuse. Not to be confused with The Westley.

More there: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWesley
Old 2008-09-13, 14:03   Link #765
Wesley84

You better not have posted that because I'm here.

Besides, the comparison is completely off. Ranka is the main character. Not just a character.
Old 2008-09-13, 14:09   Link #766
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
You better not have posted that because I'm here.

Besides, the comparison is completely off. Ranka is the main character. Not just a character.
No I posted it here because Ranka is the newest member of The Wesley club

No offense to you
Old 2008-09-13, 14:10   Link #767
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post

No offense to you
If you have to compare her to a character, compare her to Whinakin Skywalker at least. You'd get the genre and the character/story relevancy then at least.
Old 2008-09-13, 14:17   Link #768
Westlo
Lets be reality

So Star Trek is not scifi now is it? You know considering who the Wesley is named after and all...
Old 2008-09-13, 14:18   Link #769
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
So Star Trek is not scifi now is it? You know considering who the Wesley is named after and all...
Star Trek is usually episodic. Star Wars is epic/space opera. Macross is...closer to the latter than the former. If not genre, then what word should I have used?
Old 2008-09-13, 18:50   Link #770
magnuskn

Well, if you got any pull at all on the TV Tropes forums, I suggest you put Sheryl down for a mention in the The Westley entry... the complete counter to the Wesley.
Old 2008-09-16, 08:58   Link #771
Deryns

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, if you got any pull at all on the TV Tropes forums, I suggest you put Sheryl down for a mention in the The Westley entry... the complete counter to the Wesley.
If not for a couple of moments in the series I would put her more as a Tsundere Sue. But at least she pulls it off well.
Old 2008-09-16, 09:07   Link #772
golthin

Quote:

No offense to you
that opinion is a little wrong, Ranka was never a minor character and later on was upgraded to be used by the way that post said. She was always one of the protagonist! that is where this wesley=Ranka thing fails. It is pretty obvious that the person that posted that is a sheryl shipper. you could say the same from sheryl being a wesley too if we apply that way of thinking, more now that Ranka is not having any intereaction with Alto or sheryl. Actually, currently, klan is being used as a wesley even though she is very popular!
(Ranka, sheryl and klan are very popular and not hated by the majority of the fandom, just by the opposite shiipers)
Old 2008-09-20, 10:22   Link #773
Katocchi
Your Order ?
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Katocchi
Hmm... I hate Ranka very much ....
and give comment ^^

Old 2008-09-20, 13:43   Link #774
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katocchi View Post
Hmm... I hate Ranka very much ....
Count me in. I was in that club since mid-series.
Old 2008-09-20, 13:57   Link #775
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

After Episode 24... how sweet are fruits of naivete at first, and how bitter they turn as time goes by. What will the little girl do, once she realizes a vessel of whose plans she's become?
Old 2008-09-20, 14:01   Link #776
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

What I really can't fathom is how they are gonna redeem her character, if not via selfless sacrifice... I mean, the girl was (in)directly responsible for a very sizable amount of deaths (both human and Vajra, if we care to count). So, if she's still alive at the end, how's the rest of the people (outside of her immediate circle) gonna welcome her back?

Old 2008-09-20, 14:09   Link #777
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
What I really can't fathom is how they are gonna redeem her character, if not via selfless sacrifice... I mean, the girl was (in)directly responsible for a very sizable amount of deaths (both human and Vajra, if we care to count). So, if she's still alive at the end, how's the rest of the people (outside of her immediate circle) gonna welcome her back?
I don't think she will be coming back!
Old 2008-09-20, 14:29   Link #778
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

*Taking a breather from the shipping wars*

You know, when a snafu of epic proportions (such as this one) is committed, one needs to think of the responsibilities as a result of one's poor judgment. Thus, while Ranka's goals may be noble, her execution was by far the most awful and definitely one without careful planning.

In the real world, something like this is usually deemed for capital punishment, and although I do not believe Ranka deserve such outcome, to suggest that she should somehow be happy in the aftermath is not exactly, in my opinion, justified.

At the end, will she be able to redeem her mistakes? That remains to be seen.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-20, 14:50   Link #779
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
lol just found something very funny and true about Ranka at another forum and I couldn't resist to post it here

I swear it felt like watching a Nat Geo documentary.
Old 2008-09-20, 14:55   Link #780
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Ranka is a mixed bag for me. She has her good qualities but she is naive beyond belief, jeopardizing everyone.

If she sings Aimo to make aliens and humans do kumbaya around campfire in reconciliation understanding of coexistence/peace in ep 25, I gonna puke big time.