AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-05, 11:41   Link #281
Skane
Anime Snark

Aye caramba. I get the nagging feeling that a lot of people are going to be in for a shock when Lucky Star actually airs.

Tintin!
Old 2007-04-05, 11:54   Link #282
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
I'm prepared to lower my expectations accordingly. As a few peeps have said, I don't expect mind-blowing animation like all their other series since this type of series doesn't really require it. I can be assured that KyoAni does have a good knack on comedic timing whether they use cheap, repeated frames or ridiculously fluid action-gag type scenes.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 12:00   Link #283
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Aye caramba. I get the nagging feeling that a lot of people are going to be in for a shock when Lucky Star actually airs.
I'm not as much into expecting some kind of smashing animation or something like that... I just want to see more originality oozing from their works, as they've shown already in their past shows.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 12:07   Link #284
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yeah, I'm betting on shock time for some people too.

Still, it's nice to see if they can be on the level of JC Staff in this area (comedy with in jokes/otaku references).
Old 2007-04-05, 12:56   Link #285
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm not as much into expecting some kind of smashing animation or something like that... I just want to see more originality oozing from their works, as they've shown already in their past shows.
Originality? In what way have they ever been original. It's not them if there's a case of originality in storytelling its the person they licensed the work from. Don't go crediting the wrong people now.

Alright look its like this... The reason I get upset sometimes is when I see people trying to attribute what just isn't a universal truth to something, but an opinion asserted as fact. I'll give Kyoto Animation the Animation, I'll give them decent music, I'll give them good voice casting even if I don't like Sugita Tomakazu, I'll give them faithful adaptations, but I can't give them originality, even for Munto, which is basically just Inuyasha meets Escaflowne meets Inuyasha (Which interestingly enough come recommended when I searched for more info on Munto and this after I made the guess) from what I can tell. It's when people see great things and we all know they are great, but then go and attribute everything great to those things and don't know where to draw the line between absolute perfection and excellence and allow room for improvement and even more enjoyment that I say "Whoa Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hold up there."

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-05 at 13:59.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 14:01   Link #286
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Originality? In what way have they ever been original. It's not them if there's a case of originality in storytelling its the person they licensed the work from. Don't go crediting the wrong people now.
They have originality in the way they do the adaptations. I think no one could've adapted Haruhi the way they did. The episode rearrangement was a master's move. Getting together in a single event line all originally separated arcs of Kanon had also the masters' touch. I know most of their work is adapted, but then again, most anime these days are adaptations. And most studios would've never come up with the stuff KyoAni came up when trying to squeeze some originality in their adaptations.

And yes, the originality of the storytelling in an adaptation is actually the studio's originality, because things flow differently in an animated series and thus the way to tell the story has to be analyzed and adapted properly. They don't get the credit for the originality of the story, though.

Old 2007-04-05, 14:06   Link #287
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I'd rank Madhouse and Bones very high up here. JC Staff too have proven to be solid.

I have the gut feeling that Kiao is feeling the same way about KyoAni and its fanboys as I do about Gainax and its fanboys.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 14:09   Link #288
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I have the gut feeling that Kiao is feeling the same way about KyoAni and its fanboys as I do about Gainax and its fanboys.
Gainax is completely insane. I don't think it calls for a regular comparison with other studios.

Old 2007-04-05, 14:20   Link #289
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
They have originality in the way they do the adaptations. I think no one could've adapted Haruhi the way they did. The episode rearrangement was a master's move. Getting together in a single event line all originally separated arcs of Kanon had also the masters' touch. I know most of their work is adapted, but then again, most anime these days are adaptations. And most studios would've never come up with the stuff KyoAni came up when trying to squeeze some originality in their adaptations.
I can think of a few. They're good, but they aren't the best. They share the stage with a lot of other top-notch companies who I think could pull it off if they actually cared enough about the type of stuff Kyoto Animation does. Only nobody else really cares about the type of Stuff Kyoto does and those that do aren't exactly up to par (Studio Deen anyone). Only other company I can think of is Loli Staff (Ok fine J.C Staff). Though I don't think they are getting involved unless certain conditions fall into place
Old 2007-04-05, 14:27   Link #290
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
J.C Staff have made Excel Saga and Azumanga Daioh, and I am godamn fucking thankfull for that.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 15:14   Link #291
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I really don't know what to expect from Lucky Star, but that promo makes me think it will be great. That was inventive and daring.

Remember that the director of this show was the guy who created the ED of SHnY. He appears to have the kind of creativity that can stimulate viral advertising. This ad and putting the Wii controllers in that pic seem like such simple things, but it's the simplest things that can be the most effective, and are the hardest to come up with. There's no doubt that this show is aiming to be an otaku favorite. After all, the main character spends most of her time with games and manga.

And that ad will have reinforced Hirano Aya's reputation for voice gymnastics. On TV she speaks in a girlish high voice normally, then drops into a lower voice like Layla's as a sort of seiyuu parlor trick that impresses the hosts. On a recent listing of most popular idols, she had risen to #30, with no other seiyuu in the top 50 except the star of Kirarin Revolution, who is really a singer with Morning Musume.

As for comparison with other studios, I can't do it. But I do think that KyoAni has given us great, detailed animation with witty details; that the adaptation of Kanon was really professional; and that the adaptation of SHnY was masterful. I agree that the episode shuffling was a stroke of genius. YMMV. Anyway, I'm more interested in the final product than in whether the story originated with the animation studio or not.

But I also think that we should notice who the actual staff are, rather than just broadly referring to a studio. AIR, Kanon, and SHnY were all directed by Ishihara Tatsuya. Lucky Star is directed by Yamamoto Yutaka, who directed episodes on those others, wrote some scripts, assisted Ishihara on SHnY, and directed the ED of SHnY. The lead writer on AIR and Kanon was Shimo Fumihiko. No lead writer was named on SHnY. For this show, an outsider comes in, Machida Doko, to be the lead writer.

Although I have a much more positive attitude toward this show than Skane seems to, I agree that people should not expect some clone of SHnY or Kanon. While the animation may be of the same quality, the whole operation is likely to look and feel altogether different, since the main staff is so different.

I like the fact that on their own website for SHnY, on the staff/cast page, KyoAni puts the cast first and the staff second, and credits the original author first, and not just as author but for "series organization assistance." This kind of comparative modesty, while it may actually be a sign of pride, is also a nice attitude, I think.

Just for completeness, I should add that FMP had an entirely different director, and Fumoffu and TSR had another.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-12 at 02:07.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 15:37   Link #292
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

It really wasn't that great people, let's be honest. Sure its artsy and gutsy, but to say its a sign of anything to come is just being silly. All its says is that its likely to be unorthodox. It's not a stroke of genius, its just meant to be funny and tell you to expect laughter. Seriously if any other company had done that I know for a fact people would be up in arms and ready to write the show off as crap. Just take it for what it is, your typical anime preview that says nothing about the show other than the name and when it airs. I don't know how anybody can tell anything from an anime ad these days.

Why don't we wait till it airs and then do the usual routine and have it be the greatest show of the season. I'll even write the thread for people once it airs if they want, as I've been down this road enough times to know the progression of events.
Old 2007-04-05, 15:43   Link #293
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Just for completeness, I should add that FMP had an entirely different director, and Fumoffu and TSR had another.
The first FMP was GONZO, though.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 15:49   Link #294
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
The first FMP was GONZO, though.
Full Metal Panic Series is a joint-venture under the banner of FMP Film Partners. A lot of different companies worked on the series with first Gonzo and then Kyoto Animation doing the primary animation, Studio Gong doing the sound, Flight Master handling the opening and ending and Pony Canyon doing the BGM. The cast was also made up of members of Weiss and some other Seiyuu groups.
Old 2007-04-05, 15:53   Link #295
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
It really wasn't that great people, let's be honest. Sure its artsy and gutsy, but to say its a sign of anything to come is just being silly. All its says is that its likely to be unorthodox. It's not a stroke of genius, its just meant to be funny and tell you to expect laughter. Seriously if any other company had done that I know for a fact people would be up in arms and ready to write the show off as crap. Just take it for what it is, your typical anime preview that says nothing about the show other than the name and when it airs. I don't know how anybody can tell anything from an anime ad these days.

Why don't we wait till it airs and then do the usual routine and have it be the greatest show of the season. I'll even write the thread for people once it airs if they want, as I've been down this road enough times to know the progression of events.
Who's calling it the greatest show of the season? All I see are people discussing what they liked of the CM.

You know, it gets pretty difficult to criticize others for their opinions on humor...
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 15:59   Link #296
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Who's calling it the greatest show of the season? All I see are people discussing what they liked of the CM.

You know, it gets pretty difficult to criticize others for their opinions on humor...
It's always like that. He feels the need to lurk through every KyoAni-related thread and smash away at anyone who dares to say they like that studio. It gets tiring after a while, but I've grown used to it. He seems not to be able to get over the fact that people actually have different opinions, and he also seems unable to ignore other people's comments when making his own judging.

Old 2007-04-05, 16:08   Link #297
Maritime
Oceanic

Interesting promo. I can't wait for this show to begin as it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 16:12   Link #298
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
It really wasn't that great people, let's be honest. Sure its artsy and gutsy, but to say its a sign of anything to come is just being silly. All its says is that its likely to be unorthodox. It's not a stroke of genius.... Just take it for what it is, your typical anime preview....
As usual, Kaioshin, you express your personal opinions with such certainty that they almost seem true. But the fact is that "artsy and gutsy" are pretty darn good recommendations in my book. And to call this your "typical anime preview" seems fairly "silly" to me.

I didn't say it was "genius," except that it may be marketing genius: it sure sticks in your mind, doesn't it? But it does indicate a level of inventiveness that I welcome and that is a good portent for the show, for which we have no trailer to give us any clearer portents. Not that they often do, as you say.

Just for the record: yes, I think it was "that great." As Mirrinus says, people's senses of humor are pretty hard to criticize.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 16:19   Link #299
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post

I don't think that he said that others are saying that it's the greatest show of the season, but rather anticipating that they will despite any flaws that might be there in the future. Sort of like letting fanyboy/girlism take control.

I do admit that it was gutsy to do a CM like that. And it is kind of funny now that you guys explained it to me.

I'm looking forward to this and hope for translation notes for those otaku references.

I still think that JC Staff does a superb job with in-jokes and otaku references. I liked the Moon Phase OPs , PPD and Negima?! OVA the best.
Old 2007-04-05, 16:24   Link #300
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Eh...both my political science class (that I'm sitting in right now) and Higurashi have taught me the paradox of perception: believing is seeing. If you believe the Kyoto Animation fans of the world are out to get you, of course that's what you'll see. ^_^

Kaoru Chujo says the CM was inventive.

Orion thinks the CM shows that the show is hyped.

darkchibi07 was shocked and confused by the CM.

Blue-kun says it made him smile and that it was charming.

Nemo_N says LOL.

Wandering Knight says he's afraid Kaioshin_sama would criticize it.

Skane warns us not to expect too much from it.

QBnoYouko is amused by Hirano Aya's voice in the CM.

Daniel E. just says it was interesting.

Herbert likes the simplicity of it.

Maids!x3 loved it and laughs at how long it must have took a.f.k. to translate it.

Sheba is intrigued by weird noises.

random_bybasser thought it was brilliant.

~Tsukuyomi just posted a youtube version.

Zappster states he doesn't think Lucky☆Star is hyped.

Sai the Dreamer thinks this has lots of potential.

Ascaloth chooses to reserve judgment.

Itachi-chan says it was...interesting.

Vexx says he doesn't expect Lucky☆Star to be astounding, just fun.

W-General worships Kyoto Animation.

Kaoru Chujo says it was inventive and daring.

Maritime thinks it was interesting.

Really now, there haven't been many comments regarding the show itself with regards to what we have learned from the CM. And 1 fanboy hardly constitutes an army.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen