Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2008-09-11, 21:29   Link #1
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Metallica - Death Magnetic (2008)

So what, is this Metallica's way of redeeming themselves or something? I seriously haven't liked anything they did after the Black Album, but this one deserves praise. That Was Just Your Life, All Nightmare Long and Suicide & Redemption are probably their best songs in years.

And man, I'm still bitter about the whole Napster affair and the fact that they canceled a show here in 2002, but meh, it seems they've changed their approach both in stage and out of stage.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 21:54   Link #2
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Whether I win it via radio promotion or have to spend a few dollars, I'm getting it. And I'd say that this is their revival, and it's already sounding awesome, from what bits I've heard

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 22:48   Link #3
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

It is better than their latest album(Saint Anger).Hetfield s voice is different

from old stuff and Hammett s solo is powerful and melodic .However,I still hate

Lars s drum and some songs are too long.Lyrics are nothing special.
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 06:19   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory Area View Post
It is better than their latest album(Saint Anger).Hetfield s voice is different

from old stuff and Hammett s solo is powerful and melodic .However,I still hate

Lars s drum and some songs are too long.Lyrics are nothing special.
one question and one question only did they remove Lar's kid drums
cause the drums were awfull in st. anger

edit:

I listened to some samples and some vids, unforgiven III sucks IMO
it doesn't sound like the old Metallica, it still doesn't...
listen to the original unforgiven and then to the third part, seriously it sucks it doesn't fitt in the unforgivens tyle at all, nice first riff but it just doesn't do it for me
let alone the other tracks, sorry Metallica I ain't even putting you on my hard disc, I'm just going to remain listening to your old cd's and pray to God you find what you've lost in those days

Last edited by -KarumA-; 2008-09-12 at 06:29.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 07:04   Link #5
Coruja

It's... really underwhelming. Not that I was expecting a masterpiece, per se, but I can't understand the hype either. I think that the album is bordering on the boring side, honestly. Maybe I would have liked it better 5 years ago when I got into Metallica - I was a huge fan back then.

(I think that United Abominations is 100 times better than Death Magnetic.)
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 07:12   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Unforgiven III is arguably the weakest song of the album, I agree... but their other songs have these Black Album-esque riffs to them which remind me of the old times.

Seriously, listen to some more songs, most of them are very good.

And come on, St Anger was waaaaaaaaaaaay below this. This one at least has guitar solos!

Old 2008-09-12, 07:58   Link #7
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
And come on, St Anger was waaaaaaaaaaaay below this. This one at least has guitar solos!
Well, I agree, but then again, that's not too hard.

I'll listen to it a few more times, maybe it'll grow on me.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 23:00   Link #8
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
You know, I've always been a fan of Metallica...I love all of their stuff, even the stuff the die-hard fans claim "sucks", like "Load", Reload", and (Dare I say?) "St. Anger"...Those may not be Metallica at it's best, but it's still Metallica, just different...But I still couldn't help but build up hype when I heard Lars claiming the new album would have a "Black Album" feel to it...Really? Oh yes...

So I bought "Death Magnetic" (I still think it would've sounded cooler if they called it "Magnetic Death", but then that'd sound too much like "Megadeth" ) at Target (On sale for $9.99 plus my 10% Team Member discount; Oorah!) this morning before going to class and listened to a couple tracks along the way, and then once again another listen on my way to my dad's house...So is it Metallica? Let me see...

Fast? Check.
Heavy? Check.
Melodic? Check.
Songs that are seemingly neverending? Check.
EPIC Kirk Hammett solos? Fuck yeah.

Especially on that last one; I was actually waiting for the Kirk Hammett solo on the first track...

I haven't been able to listen to it all the way, but I still like what I've heard this far...And I must say, it does have a bit of a "Black Album" feel to it, as far as overall melodic composition goes, but it also had a lot of intense riffs that obviously harkened back to the days when they still had Cliff Burton from "Kill 'Em All" (Or as Metallica would've liked to call it, "Metal Up Your Ass" ) to "Master of Puppets"...James still has his signature growl, Kirk is back to the solos that go all over the damn place as well as making good use of the wah once again, and even Lars seems to have broken away a bit from his typical drum patterns for something slightly more eccentric...I wish I could hear a bit more of Rob Trujillo, though, in the same way I could've heard Cliff or Jason...

Good job on Rick Rubin's part on helping produce a quality album, since some of Rubin's resume is either hit-or-miss...This was definitely a hit...

A masterpiece it's not, but kick's ass it does, and definitely kicks the ass of some of the more shitty modern-day mainstream so-called "metal" bands of today...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 11:27   Link #9
Kakita Mitsuhide
Team Crane Duelist

Send a message via MSN to Kakita Mitsuhide
You know, I've got to pipe up with something in here. Death Magnetic is a great album. It sounds like Metallica, looks like Metallica, is Metallica. But, its not something I could listen to whilst travelling around the place. Seriously, as an album for sitting back and chilling too: it hits all the right buttons. But for an album I can listen to whilst going about my business? I'll stick with one of my many other choices instead (not going to derail the topic with a list though).
Kakita Mitsuhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 16:43   Link #10
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Metallica is finally back with something I love. I used to be a huge listener of Metallica, but than with their newer releses I became uninterested in them for a while, but now this album actually provoked me to listen to them again. It feels like that old Metallica I used to jam to.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 13:53   Link #11
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

So I've finally had the chance to listen to the entire album and soak in some of the tracks...Some of my favorites are "That Was Just Your Life", "Broken, Beat & Scarred", and "Cyanide"...

But you know what gives me the best musical hard-on of the whole album? "Suicide & Redemption"...Why? Two words: Instrumental track, the first on a Metallica album, I believe, since Master of Puppet's "Orion"...

Yeah, that track alone just one-upped my opinion of the album...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2008-09-16, 14:42   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post

the first on a Metallica album, I believe, since Master of Puppet's "Orion"...
dont forget The Call Of Ktulu ;D
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 20:39   Link #13
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Metallica's my best is "Ride the Lightning"."For Whom The Bell Tolls" is

one of the greatest things I've ever heard.I can say this album is "awe

some"and"memorable".

*Load is terrible album.
*Metallica is "Legend",but Iron Maiden is "God".
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 22:07   Link #14
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
dont forget The Call Of Ktulu ;D
To Live is to Die from ...And Justice for All, I don't care if it had a verse I consider it an instrumental.
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 15:17   Link #15
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

You're right; I forgot about "...And Justice For All"...

When I think "instrumental and Metallica", I typically associate more with the Cliff Burton years...And even when I think of "Jason Newsted and Metallica", I think more the Black Album than I do "...And Justice For All", since even though I like that album, I often forget about it...Shame! (Must be the terrible mixing efforts that practically cuts the bass guitar out)

In either case, I was talking about the first instrumental track since "Master of Puppets", and even though I correct myself in meaning to say "...And Justice For All", "Ride The Lightning" came before "Master of Puppets" anyway, so nyah on that...
Old 2008-09-23, 10:11   Link #16
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I liked it. Nowhere near the quality of the Metallica of old, but who was I kidding, here? They are different, in more than the most obvious (like different members). But I liked it, specially "Cyanide".

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 05:21   Link #17
mg1942

aw man~ no love for Kill 'em all?

Btw, for those who say the new album sucks, don't listen to compressed music.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 08:50   Link #18
Daughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
aw man~ no love for Kill 'em all?

Btw, for those who say the new album sucks, don't listen to compressed music.
Compressed? In terms of formatting? That has nothing to do with the content of the album.

It was incredibly naive. They promised that it wouldn't be like St. Anger but again, all they succeeded in doing on this CD was making the new soundtrack for football and WWE.

I give them credit for solos, however. The only problem is that they are predictable Hammet solos: too much wah pedal, too much pentatonic scale. Boring. And I still can't stand their retarded ape of a bassist, nor could I hear him.

Last edited by Daughter!; 2008-09-28 at 20:26.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 06:37   Link #19
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
And I still can't stand their retarded ape of a bassist, nor could I hear him.
Since when has Metallica had a good bassist? Or even more, one that was relevant to the type of music they play?

Maybe it's just me (a bassist). Or maybe it's just the fact that people like to go all-out "get off my lawn!" when anything slightly different gets thrown at them.

(I still despise Saint Anger, though).

PS: Though yeah, one would've thought they would have accepted Les Claypool into the band when he auditioned for them back in the 80s :/

Old 2008-09-29, 22:50   Link #20
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Since when has Metallica had a good bassist? Or even more, one that was relevant to the type of music they play?
What? Granted as a bassist I've liked each of them for what they did, Metallica's always had solid bassists...The relevancy of a bassist may apply to Cliff Burton, who's the Geddy Lee-esque type that's too capable of being your simple note-for-chord bass-line bassist...But the bassists of Metallica have never really been flashy when they do their simple run-of-the-mill bassist acts; They're absolutely relevant, even when the other 3/4ths of the band don't make it seem like they're important...

Cliff Burton will forever be a legend; There aren't many bassists out there who will play a bass solo and make it sound like a guitar solo (The "Cliff 'Em All!" DVD is a great time capsule of this), though his ability to play fast obviously made him better suited for Metallica's earlier thrash years...Jason Newstead was a solid bassist who's personal skills were on a different level of Cliff's, but still amazing (See his bass doodle on the "Cunning Stunts" concert DVD), but since he plays with a pick and a 5-string his style was better suited for the slower and heavier stuff of the 90's Metallica...And Rob Trujillo is a very versatile bassist, able to do anything from the fast to the heavy with elegance (His performance in Ozzy Osbourne on the "Live in Budokan" DVD and in Black Label Society on the "Boozed, Broozed & Broken Boned" DVD shows this), so he's probably Metallica's most maneuverable bassist for everything they've done thus far...

Rob Trujillo also has a good resumé behind him before Metallica, playing with Suicidal Tendencies, Jerry Cantrell, Ozzy Osbourne, and Black Label Society, among others...Versatile indeed...