AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 59 37.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 32.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 16.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 8.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 4.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-24, 14:32   Link #81
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
What do you actually expect from a slice of life series about 4 school girls? Really ..
In this case? For me to start calling it anything other than average and par for the course week after week? I don't know, something that I can point to and say, "yes this defines the spirit of K-On and it's characters". I think it's been mentioned before that there are a lot of these kinds of shows, especially the 4 girl troupe kind, so I'm just looking for something beyond it being the most extreme moe series out there. Any show can make itself on a foundation of having lots of moe and wacky characters engaging in wacky antics nowadays, and really there's nothing specifically wrong with that at all, but for me it's not enough. Meaning that seeing Mio in a maid outfit in an over the top sequence or a shot of her straddling a pillow is not likely to make me give the nod to a K-On episode as exemplary and warranting of a rave review any time soon. Quirky stuff it all is, but really if that's all the show has to offer right now then sorry, but I'm looking for a little more before I let this be anything more then the latest Summer Anime Featuring Girls Engaging In Wacky Antics (tm).

Though here's something to chew on. Maybe if I can be given some reason to care that all of these antics are being engaged in by the K-On girls specifically........like as in an upcoming episode that grants them some distinguishable personality beyond their moe traits, then by the time we get back to the moe antics I'll have reason to care and lose myself in it more.
Old 2009-04-24, 14:34   Link #82
animeffs13240
V for Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandal View Post
So, what does Jello and a Snow Cabin have to do w/ each other? The dream sequences of this anime are weird.

I'm not a guitarist, but how good is Yui at playing? Is listening to something like that and then playing it by ear not normal?
1st question: Use your imagination

2nd question: no it isn't (not for a beginner at least) it takes a lot of training your ear and yui doesn't know too much about guitar (for god sakes she forgot how to play basic chords) XD.... now there are people who have perfect pitch (they see sounds and can play any note, chord, w/e ) you are born with it there are some cases where your ear can kinda see the notes from practicing (a lot) but its not quite perfect pitch they have tapes that claim you can gain perfect pitch but they really aren't proven
hope that helps
Old 2009-04-24, 14:41   Link #83
stubby42

Kaioshin Sama, I agree completely.
Old 2009-04-24, 14:44   Link #84
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Why so serious guys? How about taking it easy? You sounds like you are either searching for the new gospel in anime or trying to prove that people watching it are clearly not refined in their tastes enough. Chill guys, seriously.

Last edited by Sheba; 2009-04-24 at 14:49. Reason: rewording it a bit
Old 2009-04-24, 14:48   Link #85
Fran~
floating away...

Well, when it's about "musical animes" i always compare with "sport anime", let's say that Yui is like Hanamichi Sakuragi from Slam Dunk, neither of them has a formal training and at the start they showed his "natural talent". Remember what it's said about Yui, she can learn and do it great (take for instance exam's retake). With music i assume that it will be the same. She forgot chords but she can have a perfect pitch as she showed.

Now, as you can see Mio could saw what chords was Yui doing at the Pool, so, you can say that Yui will not be behind the rest of the band in talent...

And... this has so much "school of rock" Vibe... i can see Jack Blacl in lead guitar (Kyo Ani where did you left Minoru Shiraishi!!!... )

PS: This anime is made by Kyo Ani... so, "Cute Girls doing Cute Things" is what will you get all the way.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:10   Link #86
stubby42

Dont get me wrong I really do enjoy this anime, its fun but my problem is that its been heavily focused on making it into a hit show not a good story, episode 4 was just them throwing in every trick in the moe book in the hope that it would win over fans.

Fan service is nice sparingly, I feel they went over the top.

I throughly enjoyed Mio and Mugi's scene together and I wish the anime had more of that.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:18   Link #87
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Have you looked beyond the moe and seen something else? Personally, I have seen the group tightening their bonds as friends, Yui showing she have a budding scene presence, then showing potential as a guitarist. This is just the things that I can remember right on. I am sure some people have seen a little more.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:25   Link #88
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So they have until a little after summer until the festival and their first live concert? That isn't a lot of time, and the way this anime it going though months (fourth episode and it has been three months already) I imagine it won't be long until we have a festival/concert episode. I'd guess episode 8 at the latest...6 at the earliest.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:26   Link #89
stubby42

I've seen that and thats why I still watch the show because theres more to it than just moe I just wish they'd go easy on it.
Old 2009-04-24, 15:32   Link #90
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Have you looked beyond the moe and seen something else? Personally, I have seen the group tightening their bonds as friends, Yui showing she have a budding scene presence, then showing potential as a guitarist. This is just the things that I can remember right on. I am sure some people have seen a little more.
I still don't get that tight-knit group feel from the girls though. Right now they feel more like a comedy troupe that do moe things together and then riff on each other with stock dialogue like "Ritsu, haven't you gotten a little fat". In other words right now it feels like their being together is strictly a vehicle for the show to work it's moe charm premise rather then like they are bonding or have bonded.

In short I haven't seen any such thing presented in a way that gives it feeling or like it's come from progress and their experiences with one another. All of what you mentioned while somewhat possible to derive from the shows narrative, just sort of is or becomes as required by said narrative (especially Yui's guitar skills)......wait ....Eureka, that is kind of what defines K-On.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So they have until a little after summer until the festival and their first live concert? That isn't a lot of time, and the way this anime it going though months (fourth episode and it has been three months already) I imagine it won't be long until we have a festival/concert episode. I'd guess episode 8 at the latest...6 at the earliest.

TIME MATTERS NOT IN K-ON!!!! IF THEY MUST BE READY, THEN THEY SHALL BE READY.....unless they are going for a total flop premise, which would almost certainly be prefererable at the moment if it comes early enough. Why? We'll cross that bridge if we come to it.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:01   Link #91
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Except for like 4-5 minutes of this episode, I could have cut it off the series and have felt like I missed nothing. It wasn't as complete utter trash as last episode (Gave it a 6/10), but it was just so average...!!!

Sigh, I'm only watching this series now for, at this point, to be presented with 1 concert. Fantastic .

@Kaoshin - I'm glad that I am not alone on this issue. You voiced my sentiments exactly.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:08   Link #92
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

If I didn't know you guys better, I'd swear you two guys are plain masochistic.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:11   Link #93
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

FFS, at least reading the original source beforehand would have helped to know what to expect. It's like people coming b*tching at me over Guin Saga because it sounds like Conan the Barbarian, sweat pulp fantasy tropes from its skin and have the smell of old school sword and sorcery. Without even bothering to know what it was to begin with.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:12   Link #94
ThoHell

Finally got to watch this episode... Yui is a genius???????!!! No? Guess it was coming, since they made it seem like she was special but yet to discover her gift. We need some performances now or something.....
Old 2009-04-24, 16:13   Link #95
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
FFS, at least reading the original source beforehand would have helped to know what to expect. It's like people coming b*tching at me over Guin Saga because it sounds like Conan the Barbarian, sweat pulp fantasy tropes from its skin and have the smell of old school sword and sorcery. Without even bothering to know what it was to begin with.
Why should I read the original source? I read a synopsis, thought it seemed mildly interesting, saw it was popular, and thought "why not?" Shouldn't this be enough? Does the average Japanese viewer in Japan go and read everything before watching a show? Guess what? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If I didn't know you guys better, I'd swear you two guys are plain masochistic.
Well... I don't intentionally pick up series that I dislike. I just tend to have a love/hate relationship with Kyo/Ani, which would be more hate if it were not for Haruhi.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2009-04-24 at 16:32.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:20   Link #96
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Why should I read the original source? I read a synopsis, thought it seemed mildly interesting, saw it was popular, and thought "why not?" Shouldn't this be enough? Does the average Japanese viewer in Japan go and read everything before watching a show? Guess what? No.

Twenty years ago, it would have been an acceptable excuse to not know the source. However, in the age of internet and free access to a lot of things, it would take five to sixty minutes to know what you are getting into. It is fairly obvious that as long as you don't know the original source, your expectations will be totally off. Oh, and knowing the original source help you appreciate or criticize things better. Case in point: Earthsea.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:23   Link #97
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Twenty years ago, it would have been an acceptable excuse to not know the source. However, in the age of internet and free access to a lot of things, it would take five to sixty minutes to know what you are getting into.
Even more... if Kyo Ani is the mastermind behind the anime, you should know about what they are talking about.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:33   Link #98
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Twenty years ago, it would have been an acceptable excuse to not know the source. However, in the age of internet and free access to a lot of things, it would take five to sixty minutes to know what you are getting into. It is fairly obvious that as long as you don't know the original source, your expectations will be totally off. Oh, and knowing the original source help you appreciate or criticize things better. Case in point: Earthsea.
No, I don't even need an excuse. There is no reason for me to read the source material before watching the show. If I did this for everything in entertainment I watched, I'd go nuts.

Bourne movies? Gotta read the books first. Benjamin Button? Gotta read that Fitzgerald book. Check. The 10 anime shows I'm watching this season? Wow, this is getting time consuming.

Honestly, this is a ludicrous argument. I take the entertainment medium as is. I could say the same for the novel. Oh wait, I need to watch the anime first to see if I like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
Even more... if Kyo Ani is the mastermind behind the anime, you should know about what they are talking about.
No, actually I don't. Sometimes they hit me good, sometimes they completely miss the mark.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:44   Link #99
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
No, actually I don't. Sometimes they hit me good, sometimes they completely miss the mark.
Exactly... that's Kyo Ani... a lot of people has a love-hate relationship with them... so, when it's hate, i think that is better to turn-off the player and that's it. Why bother to be hating about an anime?.

my 2 cts.
Old 2009-04-24, 16:49   Link #100
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
Exactly... that's Kyo Ani... a lot of people has a love-hate relationship with them... so, when it's hate, i think that is better to turn-off the player and that's it. Why bother to be hating about an anime?.

my 2 cts.
It's not "I hate a show completely, or I like one completely." The first episode of K-ON! honestly showed me promise.

The only KyoAni shows so far that I dropped have been Munto (lol), and FMP after seeing its first season.
Closed Thread